Why do people leave Thailand, why did you ?

Banzai99

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get your tubes tied ASAP son - free including followup checks - at Suk Soi 12, clinic upstairs behind Condoms & Cabbages.

So, you are not in favor.

No worries, it isn't my plan

I havent made it into the friends circle,

And there is very little for me to do in this country,

All I am doing is getting lazy

Long may Thailand continue to deny greedy tossers the right to own a slice of the Kingdom. Given the chance, wouldn't they just drive up land values and squeeze out the locals?

yes ,they would ,all the beachfront property would be foreign owned

imagine how much buying power people from other nations have vs thai wages and you can see why the restrictions are in place

wrt to foreigners owning land

what would be wrong woth foreign ownership of beachfront property?

wouldnt that create jobs, and, god forbid, increase prosperity for business owners as travelers have more and better, and cleaner choices?

I would be fine with foreign land ownership allowed

its the thais that cant afford to compete that you have to convince its a good idea

Long may Thailand continue to deny greedy tossers the right to own a slice of the Kingdom. Given the chance, wouldn't they just drive up land values and squeeze out the locals?

imagine how much buying power people from other nations have vs thai wages and you can see why the restrictions are in place

wouldnt that create jobs, and, god forbid, increase prosperity for business owners as travelers have more and better, and cleaner choices?

its the thais that cant afford to compete that you have to convince its a good idea

the thai's that can't compete now,are the thai's that can't compete, period,

they have no future here once foreign direct investment stops,

and it will

this place is toast

• Like 1

the thai's that can't compete now,are the thai's that can't compete, period,

they have no future here once foreign direct investment stops,

and it will

this place is toast

The Thais compete every day for investment and export with their close neighbors of Laos, Cambodia, Burma and Vietnam. Thailand has been winning for years and still does every day. Go to Burma and try a heart bypass operation. For the last 50 years Thailand has had one of the strongest economies in South East Asia.

Scarpolo methinks you have some personal issues with Thailand and those have clouded your vision simple economic facts.

Let me give you an easy trick. You can put a gadget on your computer that reports the value of the Thai Baht. If a countries currency gets more valuable then the investors of the world think the country is doing well and if it gets less valuable that means it is not doing well. Ten years ago it was 40 baht to the dollar now it is at 32.26. Up is bad for Thailand down is good for Thailand within a range that doesn't effect exports. Windows 7 and above has the gadgets and they are easy to use. Put one on your desktop and you won't have to sing the Thai Blues all day long.

Please do not try to convince other's that intrinsic market forces are the sole denominator in the value of any country's currency.

I have been in Forex since the Plaza Accord,

there is more than trade balances involved in the inherent fluctuation on any given day.

When the PPT decides to target a currency, or someone (US Gov) backs Soro's life its no longer about "value"

And fiat currency, not backed by anything, except a pretty picture of an aged monarch, is inherently, value less

but thanks for the lesson

Please do not try to convince other's that intrinsic market forces are the sole denominator in the value of any country's currency.

there is more than trade balances involved in the inherent fluctuation on any given day.

When the PPT decides to target a currency, or someone (US Gov) backs Soro's life its no longer about "value"

And fiat currency, not backed by anything, except a pretty picture of an aged monarch, is inherently, value less

Perhaps you could give us an example of a country going downhill with the currency going uphill for a five year period?

Why would the plunge protection team target the baht? Why not the ringgit, the rupiah, the rupee?? Isn't their remit the protection of the US equity markets and ensuring the continuation of the greenback as the world's reserve currency?

The fiat currency, fractional reserve banking house of cards has a lot longer to run than the goldbug evangelists would have you believe.

Edited by HardenedSoul

Why would the plunge protection team target the baht? Why not the ringgit, the rupiah, the rupee?? Isn't their remit the protection of the US equity markets and ensuring the continuation of the greenback as the world's reserve currency?

The fiat currency, fractional reserve banking house of cards has a lot longer to run than the goldbug evangelists would have you believe.

They have been focused on Iran and India, and are now suicidily targeting Russia.

The Baht is in a range, and has been, so anyone citing recent fluctuations as proof of anything, prove nothing.

The rich can only build so many condo's and hotels, and there are only so many buyers.

I see one BMW and one Mercedes for every 30 Honda's, most on 5 and 7 year loans.

Bangkok is already over built, and the gap between the have's a have not's growing fast.

If Thailand was on anyone's radar, other than those escaping the pollution of China, it would have a chance, but it doesn't.

Just look at how many world leaders have come here to help them end their politcal impasse; answer, none, because no one cares about Thailand, just the Thai's

Now, where can I get a Thai stick?

Because other than the easy girls, which I tired of in weeks,

'there isn't much to keep me here, even though, I have a great girl, I may have found the only girl from the north, who doesnt want to leave thailand

Edited by Scarpolo

Most of the people I know have young kids and due to the education levels being so poor in Thailand and the opportunities for young people being limited they return with family in tow for a better more educated life back home.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

They have been focused on Iran and India, and are now suicidily targeting Russia.

The Baht is in a range, and has been, so anyone citing recent fluctuations as proof of anything, prove nothing.

The rich can only build so many condo's and hotels, and there are only so many buyers.

I see one BMW and one Mercedes for every 30 Honda's, most on 5 and 7 year loans.

Bangkok is already over built, and the gap between the have's a have not's growing fast.

If Thailand was on anyone's radar, other than those escaping the pollution of China, it would have a chance, but it doesn't.

Just look at how many world leaders have come here to help them end their politcal impasse; answer, none, because no one cares about Thailand, just the Thai's

'there isn't much to keep me here, even though, I have a great girl, I may have found the only girl from the north, who doesnt want to leave thailand

Anecdotal evidence from a musician staying few weeks in Thailand is hardly an economic trend indicator. You ignored my other question about naming a country going downhill when the currency is stable or trending upwards.

I don't know why you have joined the Thai econ bashers from the news forum but what does the Thai economy have to do with you? You play music in a bar right? If you are a Forex whiz kid you know the direction of currency moves. You would be fine living in the South of France. Why stay here?

• Like 1

Anecdotal evidence from a musician staying few weeks in Thailand is hardly an economic trend indicator. You ignored my other question about naming a country going downhill when the currency is stable or trending upwards.

I don't know why you have joined the Thai econ bashers from the news forum but what does the Thai economy have to do with you? You play music in a bar right? If you are a Forex whiz kid you know the direction of currency moves. You would be fine living in the South of France. Why stay here?

Couldn't have put it better.

While it may be true that I have on occasion hopped on a stage to join a band and play a few songs, it isn't what I ordinarily do, no.

But I have produced others more dedicated than myself,

Forex moves aside, you want proof of the future, and I cannot offer it.

The westerm world of which Thailand depends and in particular, China, is not in recovery, and the FED has the world begging for more stimulus. In fact, China is defaulting, or Chinese companies are defaulting all over themselves as reality strikes balance sheets

This pullback from China, and no confidence from the west, won't benefit Thailand and the Thai finances are more of a sham than the US.

True, I have only been here 6 months, and, had it not been for the people here, whom are more advanced spiritually than Americans, I would have already left as, there is no legitimate opportunity here for small business startups that aren't engaged and connected to the corruption,

this I feel is a legit response to the OP as to why people leave, why people left, and in my case, why I am leaving.

work for a multinational on a guaranteed salary, fine, but that's not my bag, and just using the term fiat for currency doesn't automatically a gold bug make; but in this case,

you would be right.

I expect gold and the US Dollar to strengthen over time, and barring war w the US becoming a new oil exporter and the reliance on the Saudi's, for anything, and with backlash against China growing, I expect to see the US trade deficit, and thus current accounts, go to a surplus,

that means death to many emerging markets,

and all of SE Asia

Edited by Scarpolo

Get your tubes tied ASAP son - free including followup checks - at Suk Soi 12, clinic upstairs behind Condoms & Cabbages.

I havent made it into the friends circle

I don't know what any of the above means or how it might relate to my advice.

You stated you don't intend to breed. I'm telling you how (the only way) to ensure that.

Anything else is irresponsible.

• Like 1

I havent made it into the friends circle

I don't know what any of the above means or how it might relate to my advice.

You stated you don't intend to breed. I'm telling you how (the only way) to ensure that.

Anything else is irresponsible.

It still goes back to what the girl may want; escpecially if she can afford to raise a child on her own, in a good way.

I know plenty of women all over the world, who do not want husbands, but want kids, and have them.

Generally, they are in over their heads whether living in a $15,000,000 flat in Nueilly France, or near the golf courses and private, international schools of outlying Bangkok.

I am not talking about a girl in a one room rented condo with no a/c

That's idiotic, if you make kids you will want to take responsibility, no matter what you think now.

If you want to be a sperm donor, do it properly so you can't find out anything about where your spawn end up.

She should also be more selective in her choice of donor, white skin by itself is selling her kids short.

That's idiotic, if you make kids you will want to take responsibility, no matter what you think now.

If you want to be a sperm donor, do it properly so you can't find out anything about where your spawn end up.

She should also be more selective in her choice of donor, white skin by itself is selling her kids short.

She didn't tell me that, I extrapolated as I know their fascination with white skin and what they perceive it to mean in soceity.

They aren't completely wrong in that.

Regarding a child,

I have watched my sister struggle with a daughter she had with a man 20 years her senior.

My brother in law didnt want a child, and, it was clear from birth, who was going to shoulder all the responsibility, and then finally divorced anyway, when she fell in love with a man her age, (what a surprise)

I have not fully weighed all the issues, and I am not giving up my US citizenship, nor does she want to come to America, so,

it's a decision she is being faced with as she gets older, (33 in Aug), and it's only a question of who she has it with,

she wants a marriage and a normal family life, but is also resigning to the reality, that it may not happen for her,

frankly, she is too head strong for most men, as are most of the single mothers I know.

They have all been horrible wives, but excellent mothers, so, who is to say?

Edited by Scarpolo

I doubt my answer is going to be extremely popular around these parts, but I am currently thinking of leaving Thailand, probably to move back to Japan where I previously lived for a few years.

The main reason? I can't stand most of the foreigners in Thailand. Does it mean that I think that ALL foreigners in Thailand should be avoided at all costs? Nope, I know some pretty decent folks here, but let's just say that this country tends to be a magnet for a certain kind of people.

I doubt my answer is going to be extremely popular around these parts, but I am currently thinking of leaving Thailand, probably to move back to Japan where I previously lived for a few years.

The main reason? I can't stand most of the foreigners in Thailand. Does it mean that I think that ALL foreigners in Thailand should be avoided at all costs? Nope, I know some pretty decent folks here, but let's just say that this country tends to be a magnet for a certain kind of people.

Off you go then. Bye.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Off you go then. Bye.

Just giving an honest answer. You don't like it? Fine with me.

It's taken me five years to get acclimatised to the humidity of Bangkok where I stay. Returning to Auckland last month, I know I don't want to live here anymore.

I've been wearing winter clothes and yet more shops have closed in the main street with 20 begging for money in just two blocks! Never thought I'd leave after 66 yrs in the country!

After 14 years my rose tinted glasses fell off.

Got out, took the money I made with me from main business, kept two running with good staff.I will still visit and enjoy Thailand but no longer live there.

The corruption is boring, the trials of doing legitimate business is boring.The fact that after all that time, and taxes paid. I still have to jump through ever changing hoops just for a visa is both boring and annoying.

Eventually I got tired of making excuses for "Thainess" just shrugged my shoulders and took my limited talent, and business else where.

• Like 1

I mostly like Thailand its good for working and living for me.

the only three reasons which make me considering moving back would be:

1. lack of good friends, most expats I met (no I dont go to any go go bars) but still are in someway nuts, crazy party people or cocky business people who brag all day about their "great" lives. I have good family and friends back home which makes it tempting sometimes.

2. visa issues, never having any real security for staying, lose your job than lose your visa

3. having kids, not planning for that now as I still have time but there is no way I would let my kids grow up in a messed up, corrupt society like this. also the educational system is not the way I want to have my kids educated, private schools are also no option since than they are mingled with those highflyers again smile.png

Yes. Education, education, education.

Had to go

I think my final answer on why I am leaving Thailand,

1) I want to earn money, real money. The opportunity is still in the States

2) it's too damned hot here

3) I can live for half of what it is costing me here, in better style in florida

(admittedly, I am spoiled on luxury living)

4) I can be a mile from the ocean, and not have to deal with bar scum

5) the ocean in florida is clean enough to swim in

6) girls go to the beach there and arent afraid to wear a bikini

7) I am not afriad of getting killed on a motorcycle there,

8) I wouldnt dream of driving any vehicle here

(luckily have had a thai native dricing me everywhere)

9) I can't get mottivated to do anything here

10) the weed sucks

I agree that unrestricted foreign land purchase would not be in the Thais best interest but there could be some kind of fair compromise ie if married to a Thai, the purchase of up to one Rai would be allowed if used for family home.

I agree that unrestricted foreign land purchase would not be in the Thais best interest but there could be some kind of fair compromise ie if married to a Thai, the purchase of up to one Rai would be allowed if used for family home.

up to one rai?

you must be joking,

that sounds to me like permitting someone to purchase their owen burial plot,

you couldnt even have a horse there, what benefit is that to a person coming here?

1 square meter is equal to 0.000625 rai, or 0.000247105381467 acre

My reasons....

1. Prices are on the rise.

2. Inability to get Immigration Status (Even those one year retirement extensions are crazy)

3. The realization that legal help is very hard to come by, should you need it. One automobile accident

or one indiscretion could lead to serious fines.

4. Locals are friendly enough, but those depressing farangs you meet, who live here, make me shudder.

5. Most beaches are good, and most mountainous areas are pretty, and the Mekong is big...but

towns and cities all look the same. Tesco Lotus, Big C and 7/11...I could be anywhere in Thailand. I would

love to see some different architecture. (Ok ...nice temples...enjoyed)

• Like 1