Why do people leave Thailand, why did you ?

Banzai99

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say most older leave because they can not afford medical care in Thailand so go back home to the cold and free medical and stuff that they can get.

I remain hereThailand good pension worked hard for it too just came back from visiting my father in New Zealand for two weeks 94 years old lives alone but stll drives and mows the lawns.

My thai parner of 10 years does not want to live in New Zealand but said when my dad gets sick she and I will live back in N.Z. for as long as it takes to my father passers on then I will rent the house out there and return to lovely Thailand.

You just have to plan the best you can for your future and when young just deferconsumpsion

There is plenty to do here if your have a good partner and I do not mean spending open ones eyes and smell the sea. Not the pussy

Edited by whiteman
  • Like 1

I think the question is "WHY DO YOU STAY HERE ?"

If its because of the booze and girls then ok, I can accept that.

I do wonder, however, apart from that, what do you do every day here ? Its hot and sticky and everywhere looks the same. 7/11's, markets, shops, all the same.

I left Thailand because I am English, and that is my country. I understand everything there.

I can own my own properties and it is interesting.

I don't have to go to immigration or spend hours in banks/council offices/lawyers offices.

I have things I can do during the day and am able to go out because there isn't that big, round, hot, yellow thing in the sky all day every day which, especially in April thru June, makes it virtually impossible to be outside.

So, what do you do every day and why do YOU stay here ? Apart from the obvious that is which I already mentioned.

My wife works in an office 12 hours a day and I take care of the house and work on line.

I guess I'm the exception to your rule. I make a very decent amount of money here and thus materially, I couldn't be happier. The reason we'll be packing up and leaving is that I see no future for us (me and my husband) in this country.

We can't buy property or start our own business without going through some shady legal dealings. These to me are signs of protectionism and xenophobia that don't make me feel welcome.

There is little culture that would appeal to me (oh goody! even more Buddha images!). This is not a rant but a statement of fact. I'm not even suggesting that the Thais should somehow 'change' their cultural heritage because I don't like it. It's just incompatibility.

Most of all, though, it's about corruption and the strange disconnect the Thais seem to have about it. After a month of sitting at Asoke because the government is (gasp!) corrupt, the same people are well aware that tea money changes hands on every level of the government and under-the-table-money is a common business practice.

Being married to a Thai with a family it is as good a place to live as any. We have our own property, businesses and money back home. However if I were married to a non Thai with a family I doubt very much if I would still be here.

• Like 1

The reason some people leave is because they come to their senses.

If at the top of you're list are a good climate and weather, genuinely friendly, kind and honest people, then I think you are in the wrong place.

There are a number of other places in the world that beat Thailand hands down in these two areas and also offer a comparatively low cost of living with less hassles to deal with and I'm not talking about another Asian country.

Not true. But I am open minded. List the countries for credibility.

2. visa issues, never having any real security for staying, lose your job than lose your visa

It goes beyond visa issues for Americans working on a typical Thai contract. Imagine getting cancer and your employer decides to run you off because of it. You have no protections against discrimination for being sick.

Your Thai based employer fires you, you lose your visa- that day. That same day, you lose your income (unless they pay you the mandatory severance of a few months, but who knows?)

You also lose your employer health insurance, with no COBRA option to fall back on. You can (maybe) extend your Thai social security medical coverage, but then there's that visa issue and no ability to work here.

You have cancer, so getting new insurance "back home" is going to be next to impossible (without the much maligned Obamacare, anyway) You'll be spending lots of time in hospital, so looking for a job back home is going to be tough.

Had I realized all the risks in advance, I probably would not have taken my assignment in Thailand. I'll surely ask more questions before I move on to another one- in any country...

• Like 2

The good aspects are good in Thailand, no question. Now if we consider that it is one of the most corrupt countries, one of the most dangerous to drive and high crime in some areas and the fact that the foreigner has literally no legal rights and can't really own a house (forget the corporation) how smart are we really?? Must be the sleeze we enjoy and the girls in shorts and the wonderful massages at some places for little money

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy
  • Like 1

For now, life is great here. Bus from Buri Ram pulling into Bangkok tonight with a 27 year old hottie looking to spend a week together. Will never happen in my country. Investment dividends roll in monthly like clockwork - save more than I can spend. Anytime I want sex with a beautiful girl, I just go outside. Its just so easy here. Food outside my house 50 baht for almost anything at the little restaurants.

If I became sick from cancer or HIV or something, I would head home as the medical care is free for life. Once fixed, just head back here. The only reason all my friends don't move here is because they need to work, but they all love to visit.smile.png

You explained what many farangs in Thailand are like. You still believe that healthcare is free in your country hahhaha and HIV can be cured even cancer is cured for free and the food is 50 bt and your IQ is same as your shoe size. Have fun and enjoy

Personally I left because of much better earning opportunities in neighboring countries. I agree with the OP though, most do leave because they have spent all their cash and yes they all blame Thailand for their downfall.

I think the question is "WHY DO YOU STAY HERE ?"

If its because of the booze and girls then ok, I can accept that.

I do wonder, however, apart from that, what do you do every day here ? Its hot and sticky and everywhere looks the same. 7/11's, markets, shops, all the same.

I left Thailand because I am English, and that is my country. I understand everything there.

I can own my own properties and it is interesting.

I don't have to go to immigration or spend hours in banks/council offices/lawyers offices.

I have things I can do during the day and am able to go out because there isn't that big, round, hot, yellow thing in the sky all day every day which, especially in April thru June, makes it virtually impossible to be outside.

So, what do you do every day and why do YOU stay here ? Apart from the obvious that is which I already mentioned.

You have some good points about your country and about Thailand. I love the warm weather and love to look at the few really pretty girls, especially in Bangkok. Often I think about my life in California. Waterski, snowski you name it. As a young man with a Chevy convertible with an 8 track tape and the "Mexican girls" life was good. Did not have to worry about HIV etc, just enjoyed it to the max. Now I am over 60, the sex drive is kind of ....you know what I mean. If it was not for my Thai wife and our business in Pattaya and the rubber tree farm in Issan, I would be back home in the formerly Golden State. So until further changes in life I plan to enjoy the good side of life in this country.

• Like 2

Well, I was never charged for it except through my taxes. HIV can be brought down to manageable levels to enable a normal life. Yes; I just had Pad See Ew Moo for 40 baht. Cancer is cured many times. You don't see Lance Armstrong in a cemetery. I've tested my IQ - its 117. I do have fun - and will really enjoy tonight…smile.png Thanks.

Pretty funny. Did u get that IQ test at the 7eleven haha for 45 bt? No question you are a cheap skate. 40 bt for diner. The girls really love this kind of farang LOL

Money was not an issue for me...I became tired of the daily routine...drinking...chasing women...fighting traffic...getting ripped off...being seen as a walking ATM machine...the language barrier...the corruption at every level...being portrayed in the media as moronic villains...immigration...banking...Thai politics...did I miss anything?

Not much, except that I think it applies to much of the sub-region, not just Thailand.

^ Goes for a born-again single retiree too.

Edited by laobali

Every guy I have ever known who has left Thailand, had no choice, they left because they were broke.They all professed to hate Thailand or have had enough of Thailand, but when they had the money, they loved it.A friend of mine hated Thailand, hated the Thais.........

Honestly your frecuentations are more than suspect, i 'd rather say not very commendable......perhaps as usual too much alcool..drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif ...! how can a person hate a whole country and all his people but with money like it ......? it is insane.facepalm.gif

A normal person, in my opinion leave a country when she get borred of the climat or of a situation, or she just want to change and see a totally diferent zone.....i did it many times.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

For now, life is great here. Bus from Buri Ram pulling into Bangkok tonight with a 27 year old hottie looking to spend a week together. Will never happen in my country. Investment dividends roll in monthly like clockwork - save more than I can spend. Anytime I want sex with a beautiful girl, I just go outside. Its just so easy here. Food outside my house 50 baht for almost anything at the little restaurants.

If I became sick from cancer or HIV or something, I would head home as the medical care is free for life. Once fixed, just head back here. The only reason all my friends don't move here is because they need to work, but they all love to visit.smile.png

You explained what many farangs in Thailand are like. You still believe that healthcare is free in your country hahhaha and HIV can be cured even cancer is cured for free and the food is 50 bt and your IQ is same as your shoe size. Have fun and enjoy

Well alltough it might be funded by tax money it is still "free" in many EU countries even to those who have never paid taxes. Even if you never worked a day in your life you are still entitled to all normal health care including cancer and hiv treatment.

I guess I'm the exception to your rule. I make a very decent amount of money here and thus materially, I couldn't be happier. The reason we'll be packing up and leaving is that I see no future for us (me and my husband) in this country.

We can't buy property or start our own business without going through some shady legal dealings. These to me are signs of protectionism and xenophobia that don't make me feel welcome.

There is little culture that would appeal to me (oh goody! even more Buddha images!). This is not a rant but a statement of fact. I'm not even suggesting that the Thais should somehow 'change' their cultural heritage because I don't like it. It's just incompatibility.

Most of all, though, it's about corruption and the strange disconnect the Thais seem to have about it. After a month of sitting at Asoke because the government is (gasp!) corrupt, the same people are well aware that tea money changes hands on every level of the government and under-the-table-money is a common business practice.

erkkiri you are spot on unfortunately it takes some of us longer to realize this,one day sadly i will have to do the same but never the less i have learnt very much in Thailand,good luck.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Money was not an issue for me...I became tired of the daily routine...drinking...chasing women...fighting traffic...getting ripped off...being seen as a walking ATM machine...the language barrier...the corruption at every level...being portrayed in the media as moronic villains...immigration...banking...Thai politics...did I miss anything?

I can see this being the reason(s) I would leave... when I go. IT does get old and these people just don't care... and why should they... they seem happy with the status quo.

The reason some people leave is because they come to their senses.

If at the top of you're list are a good climate and weather, genuinely friendly, kind and honest people, then I think you are in the wrong place.

There are a number of other places in the world that beat Thailand hands down in these two areas and also offer a comparatively low cost of living with less hassles to deal with and I'm not talking about another Asian country.

I hear many talk about thailand as "amazing" or "exotic" and I just don't see that here. As I have stated before, it's ok here, but there are some amazing and incredible places back home and the diving, kayaking, hiking, snowshoeing, mountain biking and motorcycling there is some of the best in the world... and you can get just about any bike made and buy just about any motorcycle. There is a great 911 system and hit and runs are not very common in most cases and paying a govt official to do his job is not required.

The beer is some of the best in the world. The food is good.

The weather can be perfect or you can move around to have year round great weather, go up into the mountains and ski and drive down and bike ride in shorts.

I'm here just traveling around and enjoying life, saving a crap load of money and with no intention of staying here forever... maybe come back to hang out, but a year here and I have not felt settled, have not bought a car, motorcycle or bicycle and that tells me something... not really the place for me to live....

Still have several other places around SEA to hit up and spend time in... not going to waste much more time in LOS... although it will be my base for another year or so.

Hoping to hit up Eastern Europe on my way around the world... and spend a year hanging out.

Yep, there are many other places that beat thailand hands down... I agree and many that are very affordable.