Why do people leave Thailand, why did you ?

Banzai99

I find it funny that so many people have mentioned corruption as a reason to move away from Thailand.

15-20 years ago, it was one of the main attractions for people moving here, people p1ssed off with the rules and regulations their own home countries based their societies around.

I can't figure out if it is a short term memory thing or a righteous change in thinking.

If you can't be good, be good at it.....................wink.png

• Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing to do with money and everything to do with family. Starting my own, and wanting to be close to the rest back home. Wouldn't have got me out of the country for any other reason.

• Like 1

A more interesting question (well ... for me anyway!) would be:

If your relationship fell apart badly and you were bruised, would you leave Thailand?

[For me - no way!]

No way Amigo.

If your relationship "fell apart badly" you will find a new and much better within 3 months.

So if it was happened to some-one, don't leave, do stay and enjoy your next, and next .... etc.

I find it funny that so many people have mentioned corruption as a reason to move away from Thailand.

15-20 years ago, it was one of the main attractions for people moving here, people p1ssed off with the rules and regulations their own home countries based their societies around.

I can't figure out if it is a short term memory thing or a righteous change in thinking.

Can't be for me, since I've only been here for a little over two years...

The Thai society is as filled with rules and regulations and somehow it appears they apply more to farang than to Thais. Luckily (sarc) farang have a convenient way of getting around those rules simply by throwing money to the appropriate police/Customs/immigration officer.

In a larger context, corruption is a major problem for the development and future of Thailand. Exporting agricultural products is all fine and dandy, but if Thailand wants to develop its economy and export industry, it needs to start producing high-quality end products, not commodities. Just because you get a certificate claiming quality doesn't make it so if said certificates can be easily bought. As long as the country has a reputation of being corrupt, no one will believe your assertions that your products are safe or durable. For all you know, the item could be made out of dog hair and nuclear waste, if there's is no truly independent governmental or private body to verify your claims.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

erkkiri, on 05 Mar 2014 - 11:13, said:Quote
chrisinth, on 05 Mar 2014 - 08:48, said:Quote

Can't be for me, since I've only been here for a little over two years...

The Thai society is as filled with rules and regulations and somehow it appears they apply more to farang than to Thais. Luckily (sarc) farang have a convenient way of getting around those rules simply by throwing money to the appropriate police/Customs/immigration officer.

In a larger context, corruption is a major problem for the development and future of Thailand. Exporting agricultural products is all fine and dandy, but if Thailand wants to develop its economy and export industry, it needs to start producing high-quality end products, not commodities. Just because you get a certificate claiming quality doesn't make it so if said certificates can be easily bought. As long as the country has a reputation of being corrupt, no one will believe your assertions that your products are safe or durable. For all you know, the item could be made out of dog hair and nuclear waste, if there's is no truly independent governmental or private body to verify your claims.

OK, good points. Your first point about more rules and regulations applying to farangs, this is going to be the case in any country for 'visitors' whether it is long or short term. The very fact that it is possible to make a problem disappear or shorten the length of time to solve a particular problem, at the time, appeals to many, but as often is the case, these people are the first to shout corruption because they have decided to pay. This is based on personal observations where I have seen people take the 'shortcuts' instead of travelling down the legal path.

As for your products, this always starts at home. If you get the advertising right, train and pay your people correctly, use the correct materials (mill certificates available for traceability, etc) and follow globally recognized codes and standards and proven procedures, there will be no need to rely on Thai certification alone. Your product will sell itself, a lot of leg-work but worth it in the long run. Just because you are in Thailand doesn't mean the use of bad materials, all recognized standards are available and those that aren't can be imported. Use the internationally recognized organizations.

Edited by chrisinth

In many respects, it's the same with the opposite sex. The refreshing quirks that you find endearing, and that attract you- are the same irritating faults that make your skin crawl after a while.

• Like 1

1) Got bored of it after so many years

2) Better earnings elsewhere, at this time of my life I don't want to be working for low wages in Thailand.

3) Something new, still young, want to see other places.

4) 2 years later and no regrets.

5) Have a house and land there so can go back anytime for a holiday which will be nice.

Your first point about more rules and regulations applying to farangs, this is going to be the case in any country for 'visitors' whether it is long or short term.

Just because you are in Thailand doesn't mean the use of bad materials, all recognized standards are available and those that aren't can be imported.

For the first point, I will have to disagree with you. I'm not saying that the police in the West wouldn't target foreigners but it is banned and if and when they do, there is public outcry and the officers in questions are called to respond for their actions. Unless, of course, we are talking about different topics and you have something else in mind.

For the quality part, I'm not saying that Thai products are bad by default. However, if you give me the choice between a high-tech product developed and manufactured in Thailand vs. Germany with similar international accreditations, I will choose the German one. Same goes with infrastructure, food etc. I somehow tend to trust Swedish bridge builder more than a Thai one, since who's to say K. Bridgebuilder didn't get some kick backs from the concrete supplier in exchange for shoddy materials? Or that the cans that your soup is packed in wouldn't contain more than accepted levels of lead and cadmium just because this and that official has a "friend" whose factory makes really good cans.

I am not basing these examples on anything that I actually have heard of and that is not what I am implying, but knowing that the society places more value on face saving and short term gains than long term customer satisfaction causes me to trust them less. Hence, the corruption is harmful to the quality (real or perceived) and it hurts the economy.

Well - it;s just another generalisation about guys leaving when they are skint - i will be leaving because i am NOT skint !!! And therefore never will be. The more interesting question to me by far is why the hell all you long-timers STAY ! As i don't buy 'cheap meat'; or attempt to drink my weight in beer every week; or like the food; or the climate; or the landscape...hell, i just don't get the long-term appeal of the so-called LoS (which it is manifestly NOT). It's fine for a short mad bash - and even for a whole series of them as annual breaks from the norm back home - but sell up back home to spend everything here ? INSANE !!!!!

please! What is "Skint"? Annoying I can build a computer from a puzzle of random components but don't understand all this computer slang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Mr Gates, when you've finished building your computer , go online, stick the word 'skint' in your search engine and press enter.

It's just easier & more fun to ask the source when in an active forum.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Money was not an issue for me...I became tired of the daily routine...drinking...chasing women...fighting traffic...getting ripped off...being seen as a walking ATM machine...the language barrier...the corruption at every level...being portrayed in the media as moronic villains...immigration...banking...Thai politics...did I miss anything?

The truth.

Judgement prevents us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances. ~ Wayne Dyer

Money was not an issue for me...I became tired of the daily routine...drinking...chasing women...fighting traffic...getting ripped off...being seen as a walking ATM machine...the language barrier...the corruption at every level...being portrayed in the media as moronic villains...immigration...banking...Thai politics...did I miss anything?

The truth.

Sharp, very sharp. thumbsup.gif

Next to the 2 year millionaires, that have to leave eventually, there is an other kind of Farang that will turn their back on the land of smiles. Realizing that:

- I will never be part of Thai-Society (with or without language skills).

- My Thai-Wifes loyalties will remain with "the Family", in the end,I will come in second.

- My ATM Card is basically my only life-support system (what else would there be?)

- Whatever property I buy will never be mine ( big crackdown on dodgy RE deals ongoing and increasing in the near future.)

- My kids (if applicable), will be educated in an learning-environment that resembles the times when queen Victoria was in power.

- The political situation is reduced to a burlesque - show, with more entertainment-value than any TV- soap-opera.

- Once 70 years old, what health coverage will I be getting here, and at what price?

And above all: As an European/US/Aussie-Guy, do you really want to live in a place where dishonesty, fake and meaningless smiles, face-saving-rituals are the rule of daily live and override anything else?

How many Farangs, having worked in Thailand for 10 years, can claim they have gained one single Thai-Males true friendship during this time? (money excluded).

The list is by far not complete. It's just to indicate, that there are a few other good reasons to take the exit, short of running out of money.

Cheers.

Another bash-the-country thread

sleepy-smiley.gif

- I will never be part of Thai-Society (with or without language skills). - If you really want that, there is a way. It's called citizenship

- My Thai-Wifes loyalties will remain with "the Family", in the end,I will come in second. - Men should choose their wives more carefully

- My ATM Card is basically my only life-support system (what else would there be?) - Insurance is freely available or with citizenship, you can access the 30 baht scheme

- Whatever property I buy will never be mine ( big crackdown on dodgy RE deals ongoing and increasing in the near future.) - Buy a condo or - again - citizenship

- My kids (if applicable), will be educated in an learning-environment that resembles the times when queen Victoria was in power. - Tough. Send them to private school

- The political situation is reduced to a burlesque - show, with more entertainment-value than any TV- soap-opera. - Get citizenship, then you can vote (not that it matters)

- Once 70 years old, what health coverage will I be getting here, and at what price? - Just go when it's your time or pay. You do have a choice

Alternatively, piss off home

No, the usual "Thai-Bashing-post" reads differently. This a "Reality-Check". As suggested above, most problems will resolve itself by acquiring Thai-Citizenship.

This would be like throwing a wolfs-pelt over you in order to live among the wolf's, but soon the wolves will discover that you are not "a real wolf". OR:

- You can hang 3 Thai-Passports around your neck (like other folks hang gold around their necks), but at first sight, you will immediately still be identified as just a Farang.. So, in daily live, nothing will change for the Farang.

Thai Rak Thai and nobody else. Once this simple principle is understood and accepted by Farangs, there stands nothing in the way of having a fairly comfortable life here. Depends how the Farang knows how to play his cards (ATM Card included.) biggrin.png

Cheers.

No, the usual "Thai-Bashing-post" reads differently. This a "Reality-Check". As suggested above, most problems will resolve itself by acquiring Thai-Citizenship.

This would be like throwing a wolfs-pelt over you in order to live among the wolf's, but soon the wolves will discover that you are not "a real wolf". OR:

- You can hang 3 Thai-Passports around your neck (like other folks hang gold around their necks), but at first sight, you will immediately still be identified as just a Farang.. So, in daily live, nothing will change for the Farang.

Thai Rak Thai and nobody else. Once this simple principle is understood and accepted by Farangs, there stands nothing in the way of having a fairly comfortable life here. Depends how the Farang knows how to play his cards (ATM Card included.) biggrin.png

Cheers.

You're right, even if you have citizenship, it's unlikely you'll ever be seen as Thai but why the hell would you WANT to be?

What advantage would it be to be seen as Thai? Do you think Thais go to Britain, Australia or anywhere else, eventually receive passports and citizenship and suddenly, they become British or Australian?

Moreover, do you think they sit on forums like this bitching about never really being seen as British or Australian?

Ok that may have a lot to do with those countries being multi-cultural but I'm sure every foreigner here realises that Thailand doesn't fit that description. They came here regardless, right?

Frankly I'm sick of fat, old pricks from the West bitching about their lot here.

I mean, is it not enough that they can turn up and adopt a ready-made lifestyle complete with elevated status and higher purchasing power just because they've got a few inches of Western money?

Long may the Thais continue to make us jump through immigration hoops to remain here. Don't our countries make people report?

Long may Thailand continue to deny greedy tossers the right to own a slice of the Kingdom. Given the chance, wouldn't they just drive up land values and squeeze out the locals?

• Like 2

Long may Thailand continue to deny greedy tossers the right to own a slice of the Kingdom. Given the chance, wouldn't they just drive up land values and squeeze out the locals?

yes ,they would ,all the beachfront property would be foreign owned

imagine how much buying power people from other nations have vs thai wages and you can see why the restrictions are in place

wrt to foreigners owning land

I enjoyed every day of my life here. i was surrounded by mostly great people, did not face blatant rip-offs (thanks to living in a non-touristic low-key meuang), lived in a great, still very authentic (but changing rapidly) setting, deliberately stayed away from the seedy sides of thailand, etc.

i'll be leaving this year or next year because:

1/ i wanna see/experience more of the world (for the good and for the bad, paradise on earth doesn't exist)

2/ i don't want the following GENERALIZED but RELEVANT let-downs eventually start to frustrate me

- rigid, unworldly, bigoted thinking _ also among the educated

- lack of critical thinking _ also among the educated

- lack of responsibility _ also among the educated

- little to zero intellectual input/output _ also among educated

- obscene consumerism _ also among the educated

important: i can not list all the GOOD things i have experienced in thailand. the list is endless.

Well - it;s just another generalisation about guys leaving when they are skint - i will be leaving because i am NOT skint !!! And therefore never will be. The more interesting question to me by far is why the hell all you long-timers STAY ! As i don't buy 'cheap meat'; or attempt to drink my weight in beer every week; or like the food; or the climate; or the landscape...hell, i just don't get the long-term appeal of the so-called LoS (which it is manifestly NOT). It's fine for a short mad bash - and even for a whole series of them as annual breaks from the norm back home - but sell up back home to spend everything here ? INSANE !!!!!

Not skint and never will be, but after a year here I'm thinking the same way. I have not felt settled and keep wondering what life might be like in Europe or South America, but Thailand doesn't seem to be part of my thinking...and I don't know why really.

I should have spent this year traveling around the world and staying places for 3 months.

I thought Thailand could be my base of operations because of cost, but I'm having second thoughts. Not because of cost, just because (again, I don't know why).

I am in the process of updating to the 5 year DL and I have just renewed my retirement visa for another year.

No regrets for selling up, quite happy to unload all my crap, but no longer interested in staying here full time. The idea of coming here for long stays seems more appealing... then again, maybe I'll find a better ocean/beach location and LOS will not even be on my radar.

I'm bored with CM and will head to south Thailand for as long as I can before declaring ejection and then keep going south and then....????

Anybody down south (of Chumphon) like it better than up north? I wonder about the jungle hiking, bike riding, ocean (snorkeling/scuba diving).

Edited by Nowisee

I remember the song that was playing when I left it was a new song then.

I was at the airport sitting on a duffle bag smoking a Kool filtered cigarette.

I didn't want to go and I couldn't stay. There was a girl crying outside of the gate; out of my site. I thought I could hear her cry.

I think the tears were streaming down my cheeks. Don't know if I was crying for me or her or just things in general.

The song said, "the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast" and it did and they were and I was leaving.

What kind of fool leaves good tasting liquor and fast women?

Mary Travers is dead now. She died at 72. I'm still alive back in Thailand and the whiskey tasts better and the women are faster, if that's possible.
  • Like 1

For us it's all about the weather, when it gets cold at home(Midwest USA), we come to Thailand until it gets hot here then we return back to the States. We've been retired and coming to Thailand since 2001 for roughly 5 months each year. Been happily married to a great Thai wife and mother for 43 years. Life is good in both places. My only complaint about Thailand is the dangerous highways, crazy drivers.

What happens if you cannot travel anymore? Which country will you and your wife choose to live?

It is good to remember that there are many other places in the world that have great beaches beautiful women and affordable digs. Why does the OP infer that leaving Thailand is a negative.

Because the OP is from the UK, and has a thai wife, and most guys like him dont have many options if any.He always chimes in to any thread that has 1 negative word about Thailand and defends the Thais.

I think the question is "WHY DO YOU STAY HERE ?"

If its because of the booze and girls then ok, I can accept that.

I do wonder, however, apart from that, what do you do every day here ? Its hot and sticky and everywhere looks the same. 7/11's, markets, shops, all the same.

I left Thailand because I am English, and that is my country. I understand everything there.

I can own my own properties and it is interesting.

I don't have to go to immigration or spend hours in banks/council offices/lawyers offices.

I have things I can do during the day and am able to go out because there isn't that big, round, hot, yellow thing in the sky all day every day which, especially in April thru June, makes it virtually impossible to be outside.

So, what do you do every day and why do YOU stay here ? Apart from the obvious that is which I already mentioned.

I agree,

this is a nightlife city, and the daytime is rediculous, in every way, the heat, the traffic, the land of smiles, or, the road to nowhere

The reason some people leave is because they come to their senses.

If at the top of you're list are a good climate and weather, genuinely friendly, kind and honest people, then I think you are in the wrong place.

There are a number of other places in the world that beat Thailand hands down in these two areas and also offer a comparatively low cost of living with less hassles to deal with and I'm not talking about another Asian country.

Like southern florida, above West Palm.

After being here for 6 months, it is costing me more to live here, with less enjoyment, than I can there, and be able to be with people who share common interests.

As much as my girl may say she loves me, I don't see a future here.

NOT complaining, just waking to reality

Life was too comfortable. No challenges and felt like I wasn't moving forward.

Interesting way to phrase it,

Life here for me, has turned into a rut

and a rut can be defined as a grave with open ends,

this place isn't for me

the grass, or sand, suddenly seems so much greener, and the water, much clearer, in Miami Beach.. not that I would ever consider living in Miami, again,

but areas further north, are very cheap to live, and clean

That's funny -- those are many of the reasons that I moved to Thailand 10 years ago.

I felt the same way when I left SF, LA, and Miami, but 6 months in BKK, with 6 weeks, (two separate trips) here have shown me that there is a better life in the States, in spite of the encroaching FEMA state

For now, life is great here. Bus from Buri Ram pulling into Bangkok tonight with a 27 year old hottie looking to spend a week together. Will never happen in my country. Investment dividends roll in monthly like clockwork - save more than I can spend. Anytime I want sex with a beautiful girl, I just go outside. Its just so easy here. Food outside my house 50 baht for almost anything at the little restaurants.

If I became sick from cancer or HIV or something, I would head home as the medical care is free for life. Once fixed, just head back here. The only reason all my friends don't move here is because they need to work, but they all love to visit.smile.png

How long have you been here?

The good aspects are good in Thailand, no question. Now if we consider that it is one of the most corrupt countries, one of the most dangerous to drive and high crime in some areas and the fact that the foreigner has literally no legal rights and can't really own a house (forget the corporation) how smart are we really?? Must be the sleeze we enjoy and the girls in shorts and the wonderful massages at some places for little money

I freely admit,

if it werent for the 32 year old g/f with a body of a 16 year old,

I would have left a long time ago,

as it is, even that, is no longer enough to keep me here,

florida is much, much better, hands down,

and cheaper to live in style, than it is here,

I didnt believe that, until I learned this lesson.

I cannot live here on the cheap, as many do,

it isn't my style, and for me, it comes down to cost basis, not lack of money

I can get more life there, than I can here, for less,

now that I know that, I am preparing to leave, and doubt I will return, even though, she wants me too,

I have one of the few thai girls that does not want to see the USA

• Like 1

That's funny -- those are many of the reasons that I moved to Thailand 10 years ago.

I felt the same way when I left SF, LA, and Miami, but 6 months in BKK, with 6 weeks, (two separate trips) here have shown me that there is a better life in the States, in spite of the encroaching FEMA state

Florida's great although I'm a Central Florida guy -- As I used to say of the Brazilians when I lived there, I now go there to visit my money.