Why do people leave Thailand, why did you ?

Banzai99

I agree that unrestricted foreign land purchase would not be in the Thais best interest but there could be some kind of fair compromise ie if married to a Thai, the purchase of up to one Rai would be allowed if used for family home.

The issue isn't that it would actually BE a "problem", it's that the Thais would be overwhelmingly and vehemently opposed to any such idea, no government no matter how popular could risk doing such a thing even in this joke of a democracy.

And the fact is TPTB themselves have no interest in encouraging us to bring more wealth into poor upcountry communities, it's already outrageous enough we facilitate those lower-class people to get all uppity.

We're lucky they allow us to get away with all the stuff we do already, be happy with that, it could easily be changed at any time they feel like it. And that's the way they want to keep it, kick most of us out anytime they like.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No "real falang friends",everyone is either wasted or too busy to look important and talk how much money they have.

And even with falangs you suspect some kind of scam.

Russian peole,can there be more in Patts.

BKK,can there be more people from Africa,had to move to Patts long time ago.

Stayed in Patts for 4 months and now back in north europe,thinking that i stay here for longer period now.

I mainly telework,so that is one more complaint,30mb is in reality 5-6mb in my condo.

Went to Chiang Mai to see a friend from home,feels same than Patts.

10 years ago i would never think that i get bored about Thailand or SouthEast Asia but now,man,its shocking to realise that maybe you dont want stay here anymore.

All that thainess.Criminals.Corruption.Drugs.

• Like 1

People just love to complain about everything and others, especially when they are down themselves.

It is always others that are at fault.

Yes, Thailand is not perfect, but a lot better then back home.

Not everyone's 'back home' is crappy.

Long may Thailand continue to deny greedy tossers the right to own a slice of the Kingdom. Given the chance, wouldn't they just drive up land values and squeeze out the locals?

yes ,they would ,all the beachfront property would be foreign owned

imagine how much buying power people from other nations have vs thai wages and you can see why the restrictions are in place

wrt to foreigners owning land

I agree that unrestricted foreign land purchase would not be in the Thais best interest but there could be some kind of fair compromise ie if married to a Thai, the purchase of up to one Rai would be allowed if used for family home.

If married to a Thai, one can already buy land for a family home....albeit in the wife's name. So really no need for change if the intent is simply to have a family home.

Being told "you may buy your wife land as a present" as opposed to "you may buy land and own it yourself" are very different things.

Obviously those concerned about the distinction are expressing a lack of confidence their union will be lifelong.

With good reason.

Being told "you may buy your wife land as a present" as opposed to "you may buy land and own it yourself" are very different things.

Obviously those concerned about the distinction are expressing a lack of confidence their union will be lifelong.

With good reason.

What the heck is the difference. Wendy Deng got a 44 million dollar apartment in NYC because the kids were there. So tell me what is the difference between Wendy and Lek from Soi Buakhow? Lek got a smaller house. But that is the only darned difference. In fact Rupert probably would have made out better if Wendy was Thai, he might have been able to keep the house in China.

Edited by thailiketoo

• 4 weeks later...

Well - it;s just another generalisation about guys leaving when they are skint - i will be leaving because i am NOT skint !!! And therefore never will be. The more interesting question to me by far is why the hell all you long-timers STAY ! As i don't buy 'cheap meat'; or attempt to drink my weight in beer every week; or like the food; or the climate; or the landscape...hell, i just don't get the long-term appeal of the so-called LoS (which it is manifestly NOT). It's fine for a short mad bash - and even for a whole series of them as annual breaks from the norm back home - but sell up back home to spend everything here ? INSANE !!!!!

please! What is "Skint"? Annoying I can build a computer from a puzzle of random components but don't understand all this computer slang.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think it is British. I think it means they have had all of the meat skint off their bones. tongue.png

Well - it;s just another generalisation about guys leaving when they are skint - i will be leaving because i am NOT skint !!! And therefore never will be. The more interesting question to me by far is why the hell all you long-timers STAY ! As i don't buy 'cheap meat'; or attempt to drink my weight in beer every week; or like the food; or the climate; or the landscape...hell, i just don't get the long-term appeal of the so-called LoS (which it is manifestly NOT). It's fine for a short mad bash - and even for a whole series of them as annual breaks from the norm back home - but sell up back home to spend everything here ? INSANE !!!!!

agree,

the usa looks far better today,

than when i left for thai in september last year

It does though get a little silly at times when the guys that were here but aren't here now write more about not being here than the guys who are here now write about not-not-being here.

Edited by JLCrab

It does though get a little silly at times when the guys that were here but aren't here now write more about not being here than the guys who are here now write about not-not-being here.

not quite sure that, you're all there,

ps.

check thread title

Thailand is a great place if you have money and can be a lonely hell if you have none.

But a lot of people cling on in the forlorn hope that their luck is going to change and one day they'll wake up rich again.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Left Thailand 3 weeks ago.

Have not seen one normal sized weight appropriate female since then.

Yeah probably because you've been locked away in your hick town motel room, stoned out of your mind. There are millions of hot women in the US; surely you should know where to find them by now.

1) I want to earn money, real money. The opportunity is still in the States

Sorry but haven't you told everyone time and time again about your significant dealings on the NYSE and your gold holdings?

You said you were already retired and just floating around as a musician.

You see, the trouble with telling lies is that you have to remember which lies you've told and to whom you've told them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Left Thailand 3 weeks ago.

Have not seen one normal sized weight appropriate female since then.

Yeah probably because you've been locked away in your hick town motel room, stoned out of your mind. There are millions of hot women in the US; surely you should know where to find them by now.

1) I want to earn money, real money. The opportunity is still in the States

Sorry but haven't you told everyone time and time again about your significant dealings on the NYSE and your gold holdings?

You said you were already retired and just floating around as a musician.

You see, the trouble with telling lies is that you have to remember which lies you've told and to whom you've told them.

since you obviously wouldint know this,

retirement, can also be boring,

try it after 40, for 14 years, and see if you arent bored and looking to make another strike

Fair enough . . .i can get that but why the need to make "real" money? If it was just "boredom" you sought to relieve, wouldn't modest sums be more than enough to motivate your activities?

Would you really give a monkey's about coming out of your 6 months in Thailand with a few more bucks by virtue of having paid your soapy massage beau's mortgage rather than spent a few extra bucks on a place of your own?

You've gone to considerable lengths to portray yourself as a man of means and leisure but your anecdotes suggest an entirely different story is at play.

Fair enough . . .i can get that but why the need to make "real" money? If it was just "boredom" you sought to relieve, wouldn't modest sums be more than enough to motivate your activities?

Would you really give a monkey's about coming out of your 6 months in Thailand with a few more bucks by virtue of having paid your soapy massage beau's mortgage rather than spent a few extra bucks on a place of your own?

You've gone to considerable lengths to portray yourself as a man of means and leisure but your anecdotes suggest an entirely different story is at play.

when you can understand the motivation principle, you can see the limited choices

it is diffifcult to want to do anything that wouldnt have a very large payoff.

the necessary motivation is always is, and still will be, the outcome

it has to be, big

Yep. We can always count on you to try and bullshit your way out of a corner.

Whatever, mate. We all know you're lying so it doesn't matter

Good luck with it

no problem,

as you, talk like a man who never made much

Leaving in circa 3 months after near 13 years here.

Had enough of the place....other places to see, adventures to try.

Underlying aggression here, thai logic, an angle from everyone, no people you could call 'mates' in the true concept that are not foreigners....those that do have...test it !!!! ...not ready to move back to home country though just yet...or ever...maybe.c

• Like 1

Maybe I never made "much" but, for the last 6 years, I've been able to afford to live very comfortably here in my own central Bangkok duplex apartment

You, on the other hand, made so much that you felt the need to shack up with a local to save a few baht even though you were only here for 6 months.

You do see why your stories kinda lack credibility, right?

Maybe I never made "much" but, for the last 6 years, I've been able to afford to live very comfortably here in my own central Bangkok duplex apartment

You, on the other hand, made so much that you felt the need to shack up with a local to save a few baht even though you were only here for 6 months.

You do see why your stories kinda lack credibility, right?

no, not right.

I found what I wanted, and bought it.

thats the difference between having money, and being able to "afford" it

you are on the wrong path with me,

I am not your problem, your perception of your own life, is

Leaving in circa 3 months after near 13 years here.

Had enough of the place....other places to see, adventures to try.

Underlying aggression here, thai logic, an angle from everyone, no people you could call 'mates' in the true concept that are not foreigners....those that do have...test it !!!! ...not ready to move back to home country though just yet...or ever...maybe.c

I'm not into the mates thing. I prefer women companions. So I can't really test the guy to guy thing but my life has been saved by 3 Thai people and that counts for me. In my home country the government and more than 20 people that I can remember wanted me dead (I was in the Army and married 3 times) so I'll not be going back there.

I left Thailand the first time because my contract (military) was up. Now I'll stay till I die or get thrown out.

Men never leave Thailand on purpose. Ask Victor Bout. He was in jail and still wanted to stay. It may be a broken heart or a broken wallet but it's never on purpose. Then, they come back here on Thai Visa and turn into anti Thai posters who claim to have found intelligence or righteousness or integrity but the boys all know the real story.

Men never leave Thailand on purpose. Ask Victor Bout. He was in jail and still wanted to stay. It may be a broken heart or a broken wallet but it's never on purpose. Then, they come back here on Thai Visa and turn into anti Thai posters who claim to have found intelligence or righteousness or integrity but the boys all know the real story.

I find it kind of hot in bkk, to do much of anything,

it would be nice to hear from posters in differentn areas where the living is good, and you need not be surrounded by hookers, bar girls, and drunken ex pats and travelers,

I like the beaches, and didnt go to any of them in the deep south, which I have heard is where I should go next,

but I would love to be able to find 1970's like Miami Beach conditions with Thai prices,

girls would be nice too, but that doesnt seem like it takes any talent to have

I find it kind of hot in bkk, to do much of anything,

it would be nice to hear from posters in differentn areas where the living is good, and you need not be surrounded by hookers, bar girls, and drunken ex pats and travelers,

I like the beaches, and didnt go to any of them in the deep south, which I have heard is where I should go next,

but I would love to be able to find 1970's like Miami Beach conditions with Thai prices,

girls would be nice too, but that doesnt seem like it takes any talent to have

Why would anyone give you any information? You have only befriended the anti Thai posters none of whom live in Thailand and most have never been. And who wants to hear about Florida? I lived there for many years.

Frankly I would not go anywhere near a guy living with a hooker/massage/bar girl. Nothing but trouble. You read about it here every day. Sorry, but you did everything wrong. You spent 6 months with a hooker. Everyone who lives here knows never even take a pro to your hotel room.

Sorry, don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars. Come back and try again.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1