Why do people leave Thailand, why did you ?

Banzai99

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes nearly all I've know have been money issues, finding they "can't" live within the teacher salary.

But some have been due to:

Close family member passing away.

Kids needing a decent education.

Needing expensive medical care.

Getting sick of the TGs and trying other places like Philippines or Cambodia.

And of course dying.

• Like 2

I leave to go on holiday, or on conference trips.

I think there are only a couple of reasons why I would leave Thaialnd. One would be for work, although I'm quite happy with that here, despite a few other offers. The second would be if it really goes tits up here, Id probably move out of the country. The third, I guess would be if I was skint. Had some tough times a few years back here in Thailand, and this is not a place to be with little money. I like my comforts too much and have no desire to live without what I would have back in the UK.

Never say never though.

People leave for their own reasons which vary as many in number as there are stars in the sky. Why did you leave your country????

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I think the whole point of the OP was not necessarily the reasons why people leave. It's about people who leave with mouth wide open, bashing the Thais and Thailand, and insisting that it was someone else to blame for their utterly failed lives. We see a lot of that on TV. People who have nothing but negative things to say about Thailand almost always have issues in their lives, money being a main culprit. I tend to agree with the OP in this regard.

• Like 1

I have enough cash to stay, but as I got older I get more sensible.

I went of the booze, and eventually got tired of bar-girls.

Being single (and intending to stay that way), decided that LOS no longer has much to offer.

I really don't want to get tangled up with a "nice girl".

Is actually cheaper for me to live in Oz. I have a shack in the country, grow my own vegs,

get free medical, etc. I have a modest workshop so can pursue my hobbies and interests.

I find L.O.S. lots of fun, but too bloody noisy, with frightfully dangerous roads. I tend to get bored in LOS after a few months.

But I'll still visit LOS from time to time.

I am the same as Jack.

I gave up my retirement visa and returned to OZ.

I do not "bag" TL though (as other posters have mentioned) as it holds good memories for me.

I pop back there occasionally.

• Like 2

One of the reasons Im not as open and friendly with other expats anymore is that most of them move back, move on or pass away after a few years.

The people who were transferred here by their companies get new postings and leave.

The never satisfied, always seeking something new personalities get bored and move on to another place a few years, rinse and repeat.

The drunks either go broke and move home or die from any number of things.

The low paid teachers (english teachers at bad schools etc) get a better offer somewhere else or decide to go back home to make a better life.

The reformed sexpats mess up their marriages and either go home or go back to any number of dingy sex havens in Asia.

• Like 1

I'm still here too but I have no use for a huge 4x4 or large CC motorbike. My Toyota Vios is good enough for me.

I used to like driving a larger car back in the UK. The 3 liter Jaguar had quite a bit of power but there's no way I'm paying the high prices for the imported cars in Thailand.

I just won't do it on principal. It's all tax and I hate paying any tax which I can avoid so no Jaguar, Mercedes or BMW for me.

" I just won't do it on principal " .

Actually you would need some principal to do it , although you might not do it on principle.

Funny ain't it ! Learn summat new every day...

What I heard usually people leave for a cheaper country to live in like Lao, Philippines etc. Some move to Malaysia for better infrastructure and a family life. They do not find it safe for their children with that life style. Some as others say are broke. They were so smart to spend all their money as soon as they could on drinking etc. Someone like me I travel only to see other places as well and meet my old friend in other countries and then back to Thailand.

I mostly like Thailand its good for working and living for me.

the only three reasons which make me considering moving back would be:

1. lack of good friends, most expats I met (no I dont go to any go go bars) but still are in someway nuts, crazy party people or cocky business people who brag all day about their "great" lives. I have good family and friends back home which makes it tempting sometimes.

2. visa issues, never having any real security for staying, lose your job than lose your visa

3. having kids, not planning for that now as I still have time but there is no way I would let my kids grow up in a messed up, corrupt society like this. also the educational system is not the way I want to have my kids educated, private schools are also no option since than they are mingled with those highflyers again :)

• Like 2