Tony's Pool Not Safe?

TingTong187

As part of my routine I’ve been swimming at Tony’s pool 2 to 3 times a week for over a year now.

For the past few months my teeth have hurt when I brush them on the same day I swim. I’ve also noticed quite a bit of enamel erosion.

Doing some search I see that pH levels need to be maintained for a pool on a weekly basis. Noticing a lot disrepair in the rest of his gyms it wouldn’t surprise me if these levels aren’t maintained. See article HERE.

Anybody else have the same problem after swimming there? Thoughts?

• Like 1

What you expect proper maintenance for your B8000 lifetime membership? How much are your teeth worth...I guess those memberships aren't so cheap after all!

Health and Safety...............two words that don't exist in Thailand..............(or at least)........mainly ignored

• Like 1

What you expect proper maintenance for your B8000 lifetime membership? How much are your teeth worth...I guess those memberships aren't so cheap after all!

What relation has the price the OP paid for his membership with the safety and quality of the premises ?

Is it considered that if you pay a low price that safety and quality are not included ?

How about the members that paid 18000 Baht for the same membership and use the same premises ?

If the pool pH was out enough to rot your teeth, would you not notice it in your eyes and nose or sensitive skin before even leaving the pool?

Wise words as usual, from one of the best posters on Thai Visa......

if they were Thai Visa "Oscars", you'd get my vote...

keep up the good work Madam....

If the pool pH was out enough to rot your teeth, would you not notice it in your eyes and nose or sensitive skin before even leaving the pool?

Apparently not if you read the article. I wear goggles anyway so its unlikely to affect my eyes.

I have done some research on this because my teeth hurt after swimming in that pool. Its a known issue with pools that don't have their pH levels maintained on a regular basis.

I didn't join Tony's because it was cheap I joined it because it was close by and convenient.

I will be looking for a better pool for sure.

What you expect proper maintenance for your B8000 lifetime membership?

Ridiculous. Tony's get a lot of money for his gym centers! Probably not from those who get lifetime membership, for the many tourists (many Russian) who pay for 1 week, 2 weeks or 1 months at a rather expensive price.

If the OP is talking about the main gym center on 3rd Road, there is currently a big period of renovation/reparations of machines, wind or sun protection, aircon, ...

I do swim more than 3 times a week in the big pool there and don't have or eared about such problems as the OP.

You get what you pay for!.....join somewhere decent like Fairtex or Ambassadoor you wont have these problems.

You would bet it? There are everywhere people who are very sensitive (?) to quality of air, water, temperature et who get a cold or a small otitis very easily, even in the best European sport centers !

As most outdoor pools they have some bad days, like just after the 3 days rain we had in February, where pumps and filtering are not enough to compensate the quick small change of Ph: water then may not be so "crystal". It's a problem I see everywhere, including my condo pool, but that quickly disappear.

Apparently not if you read the article. I wear goggles anyway so its unlikely to affect my eyes.

I have done some research on this because my teeth hurt after swimming in that pool. Its a known issue with pools that don't have their pH levels maintained on a regular basis.

Actually that article seems to be predominantly blaming incorrect chlorination rather than incorrect pH:

The enamel loss was a direct result of the patient's 90-minute swimming exercise routine he started earlier that summer, Dr. Jahangiri and her team concluded. Since he had never hired professional service to maintain his pool, given the timing coincidence and the lack of other possible causes, improper pool chlorination was ruled to be responsible for the patient's dental erosion.

"If the chemical levels are not properly maintained, pool water contact with teeth can cause serious enamel erosion," Dr. Jahangiri said. Case studies show that the effect occurs when the pH of the water ranges between 2.7 and 7.

I still suspect that very incorrect chlorination or any extreme pH value would be noticed by anyone swimming. Have you tried removing your goggles to see if you notice anything?

This is a common problem in "public" pools whereby the staff over chlorinate them to try and deal with the throughput of people. It is difficult (but not impossible) to maintain a balanced pH when you don't know how many people are using the pool on a daily basis. The over-chlorination is seen as the easy way to kill of bacterias but the downside is it will damage your teeth. It would "smart" your eyes too if you swam without goggles / eyes open.

There are several well known steps to maintaining a "balanced" pool - try Mr Google

Ask them to confirm how often they check the pH and if they keep records.

Unfortunately you will now need your teeth re-enameling !

perhaps swim with your mouth shut?

i cant say that i take much water into my mouth while swimming, the thought actually disgusts me.

and as others have pointed out, if the water were enough to affect your teeth, you most certainly would have noticed other indicators - like blindness, rashes, extreme pain.

Actually that article seems to be predominantly blaming incorrect chlorination rather than incorrect pH:

The enamel loss was a direct result of the patient's 90-minute swimming exercise routine he started earlier that summer, Dr. Jahangiri and her team concluded. Since he had never hired professional service to maintain his pool, given the timing coincidence and the lack of other possible causes, improper pool chlorination was ruled to be responsible for the patient's dental erosion.

"If the chemical levels are not properly maintained, pool water contact with teeth can cause serious enamel erosion," Dr. Jahangiri said. Case studies show that the effect occurs when the pH of the water ranges between 2.7 and 7.

I still suspect that very incorrect chlorination or any extreme pH value would be noticed by anyone swimming. Have you tried removing your goggles to see if you notice anything?

And talk about covering your basis LOL.....its occurs between a pH of 2.7 and 7 so just about the whole acidic side of the pH scale LOL.....think this "study" is a bit of quackery

perhaps swim with your mouth shut?

i cant say that i take much water into my mouth while swimming, the thought actually disgusts me.

and as others have pointed out, if the water were enough to affect your teeth, you most certainly would have noticed other indicators - like blindness, rashes, extreme pain.

Really?

Do you try to breath?

You know, with your mouth a few mm above the water that's splashing about and using your tongue to stop

the water that enters YOUR MOUTH from blocking your airways.

You did read he researched it AND wears goggles

Sorry to others for the caps but hoohaa is spouting baapoo

Edited by kaorop

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those in the know who have provided useful input on here.

After swimming in there one more time and my teeth hurting again following the swim I wouldn’t advise any serious swimmers to use the pool if you value your health.

That's my honest opinion anyway, decide for yourself. It’s ok for paddling around in, but that’s about it.

Edited by TingTong187