Pathum Thani: Speeding truck slams into post, falls into pieces

webfact

Speeding truck slams into post, falls into pieces
By Coconuts Bangkok

1.2.312.jpg?itok=8-fulVQH

Photo: MThai

BANGKOK: -- A Toyota truck appeared to almost completely disintegrate after ramming a utility post in Pathum Thani province, killing the driver.

The truck hit the electricity post on Tiwanon Road on Saturday night at high speed, killing driver Praiwan Jantah, a 30-year-old man from Mae Hong Son province.

Among the scattered debris, officials found the vehicle’s speed meter, which suggested Praiwan was speeding at 150 kph.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/04/speeding-truck-slams-post-falls-pieces

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-03-04

As the driver died, because of his own fault, will the police charge the electricity post for being there?

I would charge the car builder, not the post ....

vehicles, in particular pickups, aren't designed to hit concrete at 150 km/h. A benz/bmw driver would also be dead in such an accident.

• Like 1

As the driver died, because of his own fault, will the police charge the electricity post for being there?

vehicles, in particular pickups, aren't designed to hit concrete at 150 km/h. A benz/bmw driver would also be dead in such an accident.

More to the point: the human body is not designed to cope with the forces created by decelating from 150 kmp/h to zero in such a short distance. Whether the vehicle, any vehicle, stayed in tact or not would have made no difference to the driver. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Quite .... ask princess Diana..

• Like 1

The photo shows a somewhat perplexing debris field. Three tires, part of a wheel rim in close proximity to the totally obliterated vehicle. I would have expected a wider debris field. Or did they gather them and placed them there for the photo?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The photo shows a somewhat perplexing debris field. Three tires, part of a wheel rim in close proximity to the totally obliterated vehicle. I would have expected a wider debris field. Or did they gather them and placed them there for the photo?

Yes, it strikes me that the pieces have been collected and displayed.

• Like 1

I wonder what year and model the Toyota pickup was. If this much damage was done at 150 kph (93.2 mph), I can only assume that hitting that pole at 100 kph (62.1 mph)would likely be just as deadly. I own a 2011 Toyota 4 door pickup and after seeing this, I hope like hell that if I ever hit something, it will be at much, much, lower speeds. Say, 10 kph (6.2 mph).

I'd charge the person who maintained (or didn't) the car - but I think he's dead now ... The thing looked like it was a heap of scrap before the accident ...

Pickups aren't designed to drive at 150km/h period - they have big engines so they can carry heavy loads, not so they can drive fast.

Didn't Princess Diana's S class hit a concrete pole at 170km/h? If I recall nobody was wearing seatbelts and there was still one survivor.

The driver made his own choice to drive recklessly and paid the price. It is like suicide and no one should have any regrets, except perhaps the owner of the disintegrated pick-up.

Normally they make innocents pay the price for their recklessness along with them.

Edited by Dogmatix

The electricity pole manufacturers must be happy that their pole stood up to such rigorous stress testing. They will be able to use this photograph to promote their products.

The electricity pole manufacturers must be happy that their pole stood up to such rigorous stress testing. They will be able to use this photograph to promote their products.

Not so good publicity for Toyota. They will be hoping the short term attention span here comes into play pdq.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, it strikes me that the pieces have been collected and displayed.

.... with a lot of years behind me in the police with experience of investigation of accidents I can only say that this is a nice display and collection of bits and pieces so it all fits in the picture! This kind of impact would definetely have caused the vehicle to scatter all over a much larger area, the tyres would at high speed continue in some direction maybe hundreds of meters - but indeed they have created a very dramatic photo

• Like 2

Quite .... ask princess Diana..

I'm afraid she's not available for comment!

Thought I'd make just as stupid a remark, by the way; her body guard who was wearing a seat belt did survive.

I wonder what year and model the Toyota pickup was. If this much damage was done at 150 kph (93.2 mph), I can only assume that hitting that pole at 100 kph (62.1 mph)would likely be just as deadly. I own a 2011 Toyota 4 door pickup and after seeing this, I hope like hell that if I ever hit something, it will be at much, much, lower speeds. Say, 10 kph (6.2 mph).

Take note...avoid solid objects:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI5ewOmHPQ

Pickups aren't designed to drive at 150km/h period - they have big engines so they can carry heavy loads, not so they can drive fast.

Didn't Princess Diana's S class hit a concrete pole at 170km/h? If I recall nobody was wearing seatbelts and there was still one survivor.

The guy who survived was, in fact, wearing a seat belt. The other three were not, which just shows that seat belts work. I once got into the passenger seat of a pickup with a Thai man at the wheel. As I reached for the seatbelt he looked at me, shocked. "No, no, not need!" He said. I think I had just insulted his driving.