Where to buy guns & do I need a permit for my Thai wife?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun shops in Bangkok are situated on Thanon Burapha and Thanon Unakan which are opposite each other running perpendicular to Thanon Charoen Krung.. Jump in a cab and ask for Old Siam Plaza (on Burapha). Your wife can hold a firearms permit as a Thai but as a farang you have very little chance. Handguns here in Thailand are expensive, about 4-5 times the cost in the US and about 3-4 times that of Australia. However, the expense is diminished somewhat by your ability to bargain and the time of year. Gun shop owners apply for and receive a yearly quota of weapons. If it is towards the end of the quota year and business has been slow they need to sell off or the subsequent allocation is reduced. I have not been there in many years but as an example three consecutive shops were asking 80,000B, 75,000B and 52,000B for a Beretta 92F. Ammunition here is unbelievably costly, 9mm FMJ is about 3 or 4 times the back home cost of Hydrashok. (If you can't control the firearms, control the next best thing). Reloading equipment (presses, dies etc.) is unavailable here as are components. (and no, you can't bring yours in to the country).

For pistol ranges try Ramkhamhaeng sports stadium. They have a reasonable pistol range and a rimfire rifle range. I haven't been in quite some time but membership was 1000B per year. They will require your passport and work permit copies. I taught my wife to shoot there many years ago and once the range marshal is satisfied that you can handle a firearm he quickly disappears and leaves you to your own devices. They have weapons for rent ......a rather antiquated 4" Smith in 38 Special and a S&W M39 converted to 38. Ammo was about 500B a box for 158g WC.

BTW they also engrave (chicken-scratch) a Thai serial number on the weapon...makes a real mess of the bluing.

As a fellow gun enthusiast I feel for you when your wife says no and you can't purchase one yourself.

But I understand that you can purchase a gun even if you are a foreigner I just don't know the exact regulations.

Should be the same as a Thai though.

age over 25

are a citizen of good standing with no criminal record

have proof of ownership of property and or assets to indicate you won't be runnin off

In order to purchase a gun you or your wife need to visit the amphur and apply for a Por 3 certificate which is a certificate which allows you to purchase a gun. The fee runs anywhere from 100-500 baht depending upon the caliber of the gun.

But in real life it isn't that simple. YOU NEED TO PAY TEA MONEY. The standard going rate is 3000 baht for a .22. 4000 baht for a 9mm and 10,000 baht for a .45 or .308 rifle, but most licenses to purchase rifles are not easily issued.

You will need to bring the following documents:

copy of House registration

copy of ID/passport?

membership of a shooting range

evidence of assets e.g. bank book, car registration, land ownership documents (chanote)

Once issued a Por 3 you can go to any gun shops (most of the reputable ones are located around The Old Siam shopping center on Burapa Rd. The Por 3 will specify which caliber and whether it is a rifle or handgun and you can only purchase the caliber you applied for so its better to decide which specific gun you are looking for before applying. Once you pick out your gun of choice the gun shop usually handles the rest of the documentation but you will need to go to the gun registration department on Lardprao road to have your gun checked and your fingerprints documented. They will issue you a Por 4 in a few weeks which is a document that allows you to own a gun. By law you are only allowed to transport your gun in your car when going to the shooting range and the gun and the magazine must be physically separated e.g. gun in trunk and magazine in glove compartment (unloaded). You cannot carry it on you as that requires another type of permit.

As many other posters said. Be prepared to pay 3-4 times what you paid in the US. I also have the .357 Marlin lever action, awesome gun. If I had only one choice of gun I'd get a Les Baer. It costs about $2400 in the US and about $6000 (180,000 baht) here. Install a Cylinder and slide hammer and trigger set and your good to go.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. I'm thai by the way thats why I can buy guns.

Edited by smileydude

Impulse is now on income equality and wants to it. Try in western countries like USA, Its working a peach there.

In America I own .357 Long barrel Marlin Lever Action, very fun! Can take the head off a deer at a hundred yards. And the great thing about scope-less rifles is you don't have to aim, just point & shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I find it hard to understand the fun in taking the head off a deer at 100 yards.

Particularly when there is NO skill involved. Just point and shoot.

Must mean you have REALLY BIG BALLS.

I guess.

yammorat has the best selection although i heard they recently had banned high power rifles

or rifles with scopes or something because of the risk of snipers shooting people from a good distance away

and being hard to catch

Or, you could try Yaowarat Road.

oz893, if you intend to shoot only at a gun club, then you need neither a licence nor a gun of your own. Join a club and rent a gun by the session there.

A permit in your wife's name will not allow you to use her gun. You can apply for your own permit but success may be difficult for a foreigner.

It's very unlikely that either you or your wife could get a carry licence.

Agree completely. To get a permit, your wife will need to supply a very good reason for having it, and purchase a gun that is of a suitable type for purpose. As a foreigner, you have no chance of getting a permit in your name, or to be legally allowed to use the weapon outside of a gun club. Again, you need a very good reason to get a carry license - my wife was able to get that but it took a long time to get all the required approvals. If you are looking for a handgun, try the police - they sometimes sell used weapons (legally) if you (your wife) has a permit.

A foreigner is able to get a gun permit, but my understanding is you need to have permanent residency. My neighbor from Switzerland received a gun permit. He said he had to jump through some hoops. Some gun training, medical exam to make sure he was sane. a letter from a govt official saying he was a stand up guy.took about 1 month. so it is possible. I heard it is easier if you own a company.

Gun people are selfish. Meaning ....yes its a sport for some but involves weapons that are deadly to targets animals and people. Give me one good reason to own a gun. Especially a pistol

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Gun people are selfish. Meaning ....yes its a sport for some but involves weapons that are deadly to targets animals and people. Give me one good reason to own a gun. Especially a pistol

you say he doesnt need a deadly weapon and has no good reason to own one .............

And forcthecOP who now states his wife won't let him buy one....&lt;deleted&gt;. Why post. Grow some balls and buy a gun if you feel the need.

and then go on to advise him to grow some balls and buy a gun ignoring wifes advice ..........

seems like 2 conflicting pieces of advice in the same post .......

Motorcycle and car owners are selfish. Motorized vehicles pollute the world, they cause people to breath toxic fumes. They should walk and not be so selfish and lazy.

I own guns in the US and go hunting for deer and hogs which I eat. So that is a very good reason!

Motorcycle and car owners are selfish. Motorized vehicles pollute the world, they cause people to breath toxic fumes. They should walk and not be so selfish and lazy.

Spot on. And the day will come, not so long now, that kids will express amazement people were allowed to own private vehicles.

But merican's will probably still have their guns. . .

And every other tossa will have their Cigarettes, I am not a smoker, I can't make head nor tail of it, you pull it in, you puff it out, and it kills ya, hell, I can think of better ways to die, y'all do what you gotta do.

Killing Animals is a reasonable objection to have, I agree with you actually.

What's wrong with shooting targets ?

It's fun, it rewards skill, and going to a range or gun club is really quite safe compared to a lot of other sports.

Killing Animals is a reasonable objection to have, I agree with you actually.

What's wrong with shooting targets ?

It's fun, it rewards skill, and going to a range or gun club is really quite safe compared to a lot of other sports.

i have an american (obvioulsy :) ) friend who shoots deer ,elk ,veal and wild forrest pig

and keeps it in the freezer ,its enough meat for the family for a year

(he doesnt go in like rambo and shoot up the whole forrest but just takes 2-3 animals a year )

i dont think this is cruel or barbaric form of animal control ,he also doesnt waste any of it ,it all gets eaten

and its supposed to be better than meat from "super markets " which may have been altered by chemicals ,antibiotics,

steroids ,pesticidies or genetic engineering

And forcthecOP who now states his wife won't let him buy one....&lt;deleted&gt;. Why post. Grow some balls and buy a gun if you feel the need.

It's my Thai wife, not my slave & I take her words in full equality. If it were a western girl, I would be able to have a more extended debate but with Thai, it's either, "up to you" or her being upset indefinitely.

Impulse is now on income equality and wants to it. Try in western countries like USA, Its working a peach there.

In America I own .357 Long barrel Marlin Lever Action, very fun! Can take the head off a deer at a hundred yards. And the great thing about scope-less rifles is you don't have to aim, just point & shoot.

I find it hard to understand the fun in taking the head off a deer at 100 yards.

Particularly when there is NO skill involved. Just point and shoot.

Must mean you have REALLY BIG BALLS.

I guess.

I find it harder to understand why you would post this? It's not what the topic is about. It'll just provoke a gun debate, a hunting debate, probably a meat-eating debate, America-hating comments, insults, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other threads for that crap. I CAN see why someone would want to comment on particular models they recommend, based on their experience, as that's relevant to the "buying" topic. Some posters have nothing better to do than lurk waiting for half a chance to spitball their own pet agendas and parrot some tired party line. Get a life.

It's my Thai wife, not my slave & I take her words in full equality. If it were a western girl, I would be able to have a more extended debate but with Thai, it's either, "up to you" or her being upset indefinitely.

Nice to read about respect for a wife.

If your wife is against having a gun at home the you still have the option I mentioned earlier - join a club and rent by the session without the need for a licence.

Some posts offer useful information about licences for foreigners. The application procedure is the same as for Thais and includes a police background check. That's not so easy for a foreigner. Another point to bear in mind is that the licences must be signed off by the amphur boss. I think that some will be reluctant, bribe or not, to issue licences at the moment because of the political unrest.

I'm not at all sure about this but you may be able to buy a second hand gun at a club and keep it there. Second hand guns can be bought prior to applying for a licence. If you leave it locked up at the club that may be all you need to do. At least it's worth checking with a club supervisor.

I'm not at all sure about this but you may be able to buy a second hand gun at a club and keep it there. Second hand guns can be bought prior to applying for a licence. If you leave it locked up at the club that may be all you need to do. At least it's worth checking with a club supervisor.

leaving it at the gun club kinda defeats the purpose of having a gun at home

for self defense unless you just want to shoot targets

i would go through the official channels and register it legally so i could keep it at home

and bring it to the range whenever i feel like target practice

a bit more hassle but the best of both worlds ......

If you love your guns so much go back to 'merica and join with your fellow gun nutters. With a little bit of luck we'll get you shooting at each other enough to solve that problem of guns in the hands of idiots.

you dont have to aim ?? i think thats bs

btw shooting a deer from a hundred yards is not much celebrate ......

No longer matters as the wife is opposed to the gun idea, which includes pellet guns. She doesn't get that it's just a simple & very fun adrenaline Sport. And anyone with a Thai wife knows her being upset is no fun - i.e. You might as well be an outcast.

Mine is the love of my life.....anyone with Thai wife knows her being upset is no fun, you said it. Thank you.

leaving it at the gun club kinda defeats the purpose of having a gun at home

for self defense unless you just want to shoot targets

i would go through the official channels and register it legally so i could keep it at home

and bring it to the range whenever i feel like target practice

a bit more hassle but the best of both worlds ......

The OP wants a gun for target practice. If his wife doesn't want a gun at home then my suggestion is a reasonable alternative.