Hi all.

I am presently and will be for some time be living in the UK but I would like to purhase some land or perhaps a property in prepartion for when I return to Thailand with my Thai wife and children.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to obtain a mortgage (either Thai or UK based company).

Please advise how this is done, any recomended companies and how they view the fact that the property would be in my Wife's name.

Thanks ....slippery

Hi all.

I am presently and will be for some time be living in the UK but I would like to purhase some land or perhaps a property in prepartion for when I return to Thailand with my Thai wife and children.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to obtain a mortgage (either Thai or UK based company).

Please advise how this is done, any recomended companies and how they view the fact that the property would be in my Wife's name.

Thanks ....slippery

we remortgaged our uk home. we just asked at a bank (hsbc) moved our mortgage from bank (hbos) and got the dosh into our bank account then transfered it to a thai bank got my sam and everything went ok (i think)(i hope)

chez

Hi all.

Thanks ....slippery

we remortgaged our uk home. we just asked at a bank (hsbc) moved our mortgage from bank (hbos) and got the dosh into our bank account then transfered it to a thai bank got my sam and everything went ok (i think)(i hope)

chez

I think this is the only way...or a personal loan...If you find anything to the contrary...please let me know... :o

Isn't borrowing money to buy in Thailand an indication that you are investing money in Thailand you don't have, and hence can't afford to loose.

Better still, I think to invest in the UK market, make your money there and then decide later how much you can afford to spend in Thailand.

I say this in the light of the current pannic over what is happening in the Thai property market.

Thanks for your replies so far

...I'm already investing in the uk property Market. However I think that ideally it would be nice to buy a plot of land now while prices are lower, sit on it until we are ready to build and then we wont need to buy land at tomorrows prices.

Should we not decide to build on that perticular plot providing we buy sensibly it would always be easy to sell on.

I was still wondering if it is possible to get a mortgage in the uk for a Thai property/ plot of land?

Thanks slippery

Thanks for your replies so far

...I'm already investing in the uk property Market. However I think that ideally it would be nice to buy a plot of land now while prices are lower, sit on it until we are ready to build and then we wont need to buy land at tomorrows prices.

Should we not decide to build on that perticular plot providing we buy sensibly it would always be easy to sell on.

I was still wondering if it is possible to get a mortgage in the uk for a Thai property/ plot of land?

Thanks slippery

Legally not possible to obtain a mortgage, only a personal loan. This would I'm sure not be difficult if you have security in UK property.

IMO the way things are at the moment with UK property it would be advisable to keep your money in the UK, even pay off your mortgage earlier. When the time comes to move, the value of your UK property will have risen much more than land in Thailand. Selling your UK property then will more than compensate you for holding back from buying land in Thailand right now. Just remember, if you remortgage your UK house to finance land or property in Thailand you will be paying UK interest rates on something that may never be worth any more than it is when you buy it. Just my 2 bahts worth.