6 Myanmar workers rescued from Thai human traffickers

webfact

6 Myanmar workers rescued from Thai human traffickers

myanmar-migrants-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Six Myanmar migrant workers forced to work in the Thai fishing industry were rescued from human traffickers on Monday night by local law enforcement in Kantang district of Trang province, The Irrawaddy reported.

The Thai police’s anti-trafficking unit and a Bangkok-based Myanmar civil society group rescued the men, all aged 25 or older, from a fishing boat that had docked at the port city of Trang, according to Kyaw Thaung, director of the Myanmar Association Thailand (MAT).

“We were contacted by these men over a month ago, and only when they came to the dock were we able to rescue them, at about 11pm on March 3,” he said. “But we still need to rescue one man from the boat.”

Kyaw Thaung said the six men were being held for questioning at the local police station prior to their deportation, adding that none of the rescued Myanmar nationals was carrying legal documents.

The six men are from at least three different townships in western Burma’s Arakan State.

One of the rescued laborers, who asked that his name be withheld, said he arrived to Thailand in October 2013, lured by what turned out to be a false promise of a job working on the docks at a salary equivalent to 350,000 kyats (US$357) per month.

When he arrived, there was no job at the dock. Instead, he had to work on fishing boats at sea, he said, adding that a broker who arranged the deal had demanded a 300,000 kyats fee for his services.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/6-myanmar-workers-rescued-thai-human-traffickers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-05

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

6 rescued, many more still under the grip of Thai human traffickers.

An ongoing story that makes us ashamed to be called humans.

At least, it is a good sign that the police’s anti-trafficking unit, started doing the job they are assigned to do.

Agree, and I wonder whether some government agencies are starting to feel nervous about the possibility of reforms and therefore being more focused on what they should be doing.

I certainly hope so.

• Like 1

At least, it is a good sign that the police’s anti-trafficking unit, started doing the job they are assigned to do.

If I read the OP correctly, the police has done f.a. to rescue these poor souls. Instead a private NGO did the heavy lifting here. Wouldn't be surprised if interested parties in the police force would try to shut them down to protect a revenue source. Call me cynical...

cynical never correct yes...life seems to mean so little over here..i dont know why..they just dont care.if its not family im not interested it seems..sad.png

Well said, i will vote for you as chief !Human trafficking comes in many different ways and are all sick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about checking every single boat for a month or two? No exceptions!

Remember the story of Karen people being turned back to the traffickers by the Police?

Seems the whole industry has a problem. and these poor folks will be languishing in the IDC for months before being deported?! While the Thai bosses...

The law is very one-sided: the company pays 10,000 B. The worker pays a 100,000 B fine and gets deported.

• Like 1