Boxes of red wine - where?

A visiting friend found some Mont Clare red yesterday, in Maenam, corner shop at corner of Maenam resort road... 1200 baht 3 litres... seems to me that was 200 or 300 baht more than it used to be... but ... cheaper than buying the bottled plonk! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.giftongue.png

Looks like'she who must be obeyed' may have to switch drinks. Mont Claire used to be 900 baht for 5 litres! Bodegas red used to be 1,100 baht for 3 litres - but a better tasting plonk.

A visiting friend found some Mont Clare red yesterday, in Maenam, corner shop at corner of Maenam resort road... 1200 baht 3 litres... seems to me that was 200 or 300 baht more than it used to be... but ... cheaper than buying the bottled plonk! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.giftongue.png

Looks like'she who must be obeyed' may have to switch drinks. Mont Claire used to be 900 baht for 5 litres! Bodegas red used to be 1,100 baht for 3 litres - but a better tasting plonk.

Opps I just checked the box, it is 5 litres....blink.png .... still some left... another party tonight! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Don't go to cheap Tropo, on SWMBO or you be doing the cooking and house work!!....laugh.png

So what's happened to the cask wine here? Can we get back on topic please.biggrin.png

Back on topic about boxed wine....................I bought a 3 L box of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from the Wine Connection, called "ART" and it described itself on the box as, "a beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon with sweet dark stewed fruit aromas, as well as some notes of cassis and spices from gentle oak ageing. On the palate, firm ripe tannins give structure and power to a full weight of blackcurrant fruit laced with licorice in mint".

Well I don't know what wine they were talking about, but it certainly wasn't this one IMO!!!

Lightweight red with none of the above attributes, although drinkable, but nowhere near as good as the boxed Bodegas Centinaras from Chile. And at 1100 baht for 3 L, probably now priced around the same as others of this ilk.

• Like 1

The Mont Clare red was 300 baht for a 750ml bottle in 7/11 in January. That's the same price per lt as tbe casks. If cask prices increase again and bottles don't it might be cheaper to buy in smaller quantity. Something to keep an eye on I suppose.

I'm going to pack at least 2lt in the checked bag next month and keep my fingers crossed no one looks :)

• 1 month later...

Coming from Angela's in Maenam going towards Nathon just across the bridge 3rd or 4th shop on the left with a desk right in front,

they have several 5 litre boxes of Mont Clair for 930 Baht. That's cheaper than Makro ever sold it!!

Better hurry though I don't think it will last long.

• Like 2

Coming from Angela's in Maenam going towards Nathon just across the bridge 3rd or 4th shop on the left with a desk right in front,

they have several 5 litre boxes of Mont Clair for 930 Baht. That's cheaper than Makro ever sold it!!

Better hurry though I don't think it will last long.

Forgot to mention that it was red.

Birthday? Party ?

Himself, has mentioned his birthday is around Songkran on occasion wink.png ..... guess maybe the party was when he was in Maehaad KP! burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gifbiggrin.png

That shop Sticky mentions is good on prices... often has Tonic water too, when no one else, hab! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

OK Jimmy - you have 'outed' me.

The trip to Ko Maa was a birthday treat. As was dinner at Treetops. However - party is not in my vocabulary. You all know what a boring old fart I am

sorry.gif1zgarz5.gifofftopic2.gif but it's Jimmy's fault!

As the red wine supplies have resumed, we can close this one? (and I do not drink wine - it was for wifey - bless her.)

OK Jimmy - you have 'outed' me.

The trip to Ko Maa was a birthday treat. As was dinner at Treetops. However - party is not in my vocabulary. You all know what a boring old fart I am

sorry.gif1zgarz5.gifofftopic2.gif but it's Jimmy's fault!

As the red wine supplies have resumed, we can close this one? (and I do not drink wine - it was for wifey - bless her.)

Hey you outted yourself whistling.gif , it was you who mention your birthday was around Songkran more than once if I remember.... tongue.png

I guess I remembered cos you are three months ahead of me in joining the "boring old farts club" biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

OK can close this topic now, Mods ! wink.png