Manhunt for Swedish fake Rolex Watch seller in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this interesting. How do we know the watch, claimed to be fake, was actually the same piece sold by the now accused Swede? If the watch sold by the Swede was real, then perhaps Khun Samit replaced the watch with a fake making him the scammer? Or maybe the store he visited to get the watch valued replaced the watch with a fake, then they are the scammers. Or what if the Swede didn't even know that the watch was fake? The fake was apparently good enough to fool Khun Samit, that would make nobody a scammer.

Interesting.

Ditto ... interesting smile.png

Sure makes a nice story. Perhaps the buyer was going to resell it immediately, for a quick profit. I hope he gets to keep the watch. Then again, I am in the market for a decent watch, but everytime I look at all the name brands, I wonder if I am buying an original. Makes me want to buy a fake one, just in case. But must make sure I get it at a fair price! Are those watches for sale inside Robinson's for real? The prices are sure jacked up...

• Like 1

Khun Samit got too greedy expecting to get a Rolex for under half it's value. To me it would be obvious there was a problem, fake, stolen etc who would sell a real Rolex for under half price. I would have had more sympathy if he had paid near market levels, say 210-220,000 but at this price there was always going to be a problem.

I find this interesting. How do we know the watch, claimed to be fake, was actually the same piece sold by the now accused Swede? If the watch sold by the Swede was real, then perhaps Khun Samit replaced the watch with a fake making him the scammer? Or maybe the store he visited to get the watch valued replaced the watch with a fake, then they are the scammers. Or what if the Swede didn't even know that the watch was fake? The fake was apparently good enough to fool Khun Samit, that would make nobody a scammer.

Interesting.

Ditto ... interesting smile.png

Interesting if somewhat paranoid, good defence though they cannot prove it is the same watch unless they have the serial number they both agreed on.

Edited by FiestyFarang

The Thai vendors of fake watches do not pretend that they are real, also they don't charge that much.

There is a proper looking Rolex box in the photo, I have not seen boxes like that for sale by Thai fake watch sellers.

It sounds like this is a outright fraud. That makes the seller an alleged criminal and is worthy of investigation.

So by your logic it would be OK to sell a fake if it's cheap, but not OK if it's expensive, is that what your advocating? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Devils advocating....

What if it was the real deal and the pernicious buyer switched it

What if the person who decreed it fake (for the buyer knew not what to look for) saw his moment and switched it on the unwitting buyer

etc etc

I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedish guy bought it from a Thai who claimed it to be genuine then he checked the back and noticed the copied in Thailand tag so he has off loaded it back onto a Thai.

How many Thais around the country are selling fake Rolex watches to farangs right under the noses of the police. A farang does the same and it is a "MANHUNT"

But the thai sellers do not claim that the watches are genuine

The Thai vendors of fake watches do not pretend that they are real, also they don't charge that much.

There is a proper looking Rolex box in the photo, I have not seen boxes like that for sale by Thai fake watch sellers.

It sounds like this is a outright fraud. That makes the seller an alleged criminal and is worthy of investigation.

Not true go to bkk you can buy rolex copies or handbag copies of top mirror grades that look almst identical to the smallest detail and comes with boxes and recipts and everything to maketit look real. some thai vendors even try sell them as genuine if they can...only difference this time is that the scam was reversed

or as one purveyor of goods told me " this not fake copy, this genuine copy".

Khun Samit got too greedy expecting to get a Rolex for under half it's value. To me it would be obvious there was a problem, fake, stolen etc who would sell a real Rolex for under half price. I would have had more sympathy if he had paid near market levels, say 210-220,000 but at this price there was always going to be a problem.

If it sounds to good to be true it normaly is.

Well First , to the Purchaser I suggest he Stick to the 1,000 Barht " Genuine Rolex's " , Its a Lot Cheaper .

But the love of these aspirational brands is a common thread .

To the Seller ..You allowed your Passport to be Copied ? , thats just stupidity ...

Its not a good thing to do , and once his photo is sent around , He will pretty much certainly be Caught .

Any Body got a somewhere where I can pick up a Pair of genuine Rayban sunnies ?

Could the passport be a fake too ?

Hadn't thought of That ..Well , he's an idiot if its his Real passport . Although , surely the Photo must be real .

Maybe he was a fake Swede...those damn Russkies at it again

Pattaya, big c, Rolex and 110000 baht sounds about right for parting with "big money"

Just another greedy Thai with not too much street smarts..
I just wouldn't buy a watch which could not be verified, the picture shown with the box and papers inside is the same as what you get in Bangkok from the " more advanced" copy sellers not the turkeys that annoy you with the flip cases or bum bags.

There is tea money for the bib that's why there is a manhunt no other reason.

I feel sorry for the young Thai man who got ripped off so badly. This isn't about Thai vs. Pegot. It's a crime story, simple, and if it happened to you, you would be hurt as well. I think the perps of such crimes tend to think that the victims won't report them because they feel EMBARASSED that they were fooled. Most probably don't. I applaud this man for exposing himself to the inevitable ridicule of people thinking he's stupid. Scams like this rely on greed of course. The price was high enough that it COULD have been real, but low enough that it seemed a bargain.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the young Thai man who got ripped off so badly. This isn't about Thai vs. Pegot. It's a crime story, simple, and if it happened to you, you would be hurt as well. I think the perps of such crimes tend to think that the victims won't report them because they feel EMBARASSED that they were fooled. Most probably don't. I applaud this man for exposing himself to the inevitable ridicule of people thinking he's stupid. Scams like this rely on greed of course. The price was high enough that it COULD have been real, but low enough that it seemed a bargain.

Jing allows me to say one more time, "another greedy Thai without any street smarts". I don't feel anything for this Thai that got 'ripped off'. The Thais have a saying for this and if you have been in-country for a long time you will know the phrase and how the Thais feel about this kind of thing..

• Like 1

This whole sordid episode makes me laugh my ass off! Falang bad, Thai good, hahahahahahah! We all know a Thai wouldn't try this scam on a falang, nope wouldn't happen. Thais would never scam a falang, hahahahahahaha

I totally agree here, its a crime and to say that its good because the victim is Thai is good because other Thais scam farangs.

Such logic is crazy bet lot of angry foreigners here scared of Thais.

Though I don't like that the BIB help foreigners that does not mean foreigners should applaud when a Thai get robbed.

All scam artist should be caught and the fact that he is European does not make him a robbin hood, he could have scammed an other farang too.

• Like 2

Jing allows me to say one more time, "another greedy Thai without any street smarts". I don't feel anything for this Thai that got 'ripped off'. The Thais have a saying for this and if you have been in-country for a long time you will know the phrase and how the Thais feel about this kind of thing..

I don't really agree because the actual price he paid COULD have been enough for a REAL Rolex being sold be a financial desperate person. Now if he had paid 10,000 baht expecting a real Rolex, that would be another matter. If my life I have purchased comparable bargains that were real things. In fact I wouldn't be early retired in Thailand if not for such a major real estate purchase that was basically a steal.

• Like 1