Manhunt for Swedish fake Rolex Watch seller in Pattaya

webfact

Poetic justice! love it.

Maybe the Thai guy believed the PM when she said they would stop fake Rolex sales in Thailand. It's unlikely though..... believing the PM.

But handing over 110000 baht for a second hand Rolex to a foreigner in Big C you don't even know? It beggars belief... in fact so much so you wonder if it really happened. Maybe he gambled the money or spent it on his mia noi and this is his cover story for the wife. smile.png

I did see a report earlier which claimed more than half a million Thai adults were completely illiterate but it didn't mention how many were completely stupid.

Edited by bigbamboo

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the young Thai man who got ripped off so badly. This isn't about Thai vs. Pegot. It's a crime story, simple, and if it happened to you, you would be hurt as well. I think the perps of such crimes tend to think that the victims won't report them because they feel EMBARASSED that they were fooled. Most probably don't. I applaud this man for exposing himself to the inevitable ridicule of people thinking he's stupid. Scams like this rely on greed of course. The price was high enough that it COULD have been real, but low enough that it seemed a bargain.

Jing allows me to say one more time, "another greedy Thai without any street smarts". I don't feel anything for this Thai that got 'ripped off'. The Thais have a saying for this and if you have been in-country for a long time you will know the phrase and how the Thais feel about this kind of thing..

I don't really agree because the actual price he paid COULD have been enough for a REAL Rolex being sold be a financial desperate person. Now if he had paid 10,000 baht expecting a real Rolex, that would be another matter. If my life I have purchased comparable bargains that were real things. In fact I wouldn't be early retired in Thailand if not for such a major real estate purchase that was basically a steal.

Yes he sure could have bought a real Rolex for the same money but as I said, "No street smarts'. I think the image shown was a SS Submariner which I believe sells in an authorized Rolex dealer for about Baht 120K or a bit more.

Why not arrest all the Thais selling them in the first place

Doh! Hello: Because they don't claim it's the real thing, and sell them for a couple hundred baht! Hence no scam. Just copyright violation (on both sides) but no scam.

This on the other hand is a scam.

And the guy is toast; good. One less in Pattaya.. quite a few to go. wink.png

copyright violation is a scam too, just because you accept it does not make it alright

The real scam with regard to copyrights is how they've been extended from "14 years, renewed for 14 years if the author is still alive" (years 1790-1820 or so) to "...life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier" (the "Sonny Bono Act" of 1998). It's the public that's being stolen from. But hey -- if you've got enough money to buy politicians...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Edited by RedQualia

This is so funny. The old Swede probably just bought the watch yesterday for 850 B cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And manhunt ??????? Why ? This idiot who believes in miracles has supported the old Swede's life quality clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

som nam na

Any person with a bit of brains would have had the watch checked out BEFORE buying it, not after. And of course, wouldnt have done the transaction in Big C. So yes, the victim might have switched the real for a copy, and now is trying to get his money back from the Swed, or maybe Brit! They cant be trusted either! hahahah. Maybe he is thinking the police will catch the guy, grab his money, then kick him out of the country, all without any kind of court appearance.

While I hate to see anyone, regardless of nationality, taken in a scam, it's buyer beware. If it looks to good to be true, it is probably rotten fish.

There is a difference in buying a fake sold as a fake. Selling a fake and the seller saying it's authentic is another story.

Trademark, copyright and intellectual piracy is a crime. I prefer not to feed the tiger lest I be eaten.

its already very suspicious to see a Rolex at 110,000 instead of 240,000 that Thai guy should have had a bit more judgement instead of thinking to make a good deal. Welcome to the real fake watches world ..... coffee1.gif

It is even more suspicious to see a Rolex for more than bt1500 and even more suspect when the price doesn't go down from there. otis

I still can't figure out why anyone would spend 110,000 Baht to tell the time. Even though it was fake it probably still told the correct time. Different strokes for different folks.

If you're going to buy a Rolex I'm sure many would recommend that a transaction at the Big C (a low budget bulk shopping center) to a complete stranger is not the best scenario to ensure authenticity of the product.

Edited by TimTang

Any person with a bit of brains would have had the watch checked out BEFORE buying it, not after. And of course, wouldnt have done the transaction in Big C. So yes, the victim might have switched the real for a copy, and now is trying to get his money back from the Swed, or maybe Brit! They cant be trusted either! hahahah. Maybe he is thinking the police will catch the guy, grab his money, then kick him out of the country, all without any kind of court appearance.

Exactly.

How does anyone know that this is the watch the Swedish guy sold?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedish guy bought it from a Thai who claimed it to be genuine then he checked the back and noticed the copied in Thailand tag so he has off loaded it back onto a Thai.

How many Thais around the country are selling fake Rolex watches to farangs right under the noses of the police. A farang does the same and it is a "MANHUNT"

Handbags, perfumes, shoes and
"because you are my friend" get 15% off.

Manhunt for Swedish fake Rolex Watch seller in Pattaya

Any update on this guy now on the run.

This is really .. really ... bad. They need to catch this guy before anyone else is hurt. selling a fake Rolex in Pattaya must be one of the worst crimes I've ever heard of. The Police need to hunt this guy down.

The Police need to put more resources onto this , maybe get the army involved if need be .... this has to be stopped.

ohmy.png

Edited by steven100

This is a very different scenario from the 'fake rolex' sellers.

This seller said it was Authentic. AS an avid collector I can tell you that even the Hang Tag with Hologram and the Box would help give that impression.

Totally different from the street guys who I have never heard pretend it to be anything but 'Copy' . That's Trademark problem. Like the copied DVDs ,Bags , T Shirts , and CDs etc

Love the blocking of the alleged perpetrators face by the papers logo. That should help NOT !

Caveat Emptor ...............................it is Pattaya after all.

coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

eddie61, on 08 Mar 2014 - 09:07, said:

Selling fakes is one of those professions reserved for Thais only, just like prostitution.

Fake prostitution is global................thumbsup.gif

(Male & Female!!)

Edited by chrisinth

its already very suspicious to see a Rolex at 110,000 instead of 240,000 that Thai guy should have had a bit more judgement instead of thinking to make a good deal. Welcome to the real fake watches world ..... coffee1.gif

Maybe because you are not familiar with that kind of deals but even at 110k I do not see it as a great bargain, if bargain at all.

You can get a second hand Rolex for 300k down from 900k ( gold )

Obviously it wouldn't be the year's product

Why not arrest all the Thais selling them in the first place

Doh! Hello: Because they don't claim it's the real thing, and sell them for a couple hundred baht! Hence no scam. Just copyright violation (on both sides) but no scam.

This on the other hand is a scam.

And the guy is toast; good. One less in Pattaya.. quite a few to go. wink.png

copyright violation is a scam too, just because you accept it does not make it alright

doesn't make it wrong just because someone says it's wrong either.

i really find it hard to believe that the victim is actually trying to turn this around.

seriously where would the profit be in that?

The thai must then be an idiot. That he believes that one can purchase a genuine Rolex watch 110000 baht.
A genuine Rolex watch in Denmark can easily be sold for more than 1 million Danish kroner.
More than 5 million baht. And it's not just because it's Denmark, but a genuine rolex watch has roughly the same price worldwide.
110000 baht so you know that it is fake watchwai2.gifcheesy.gif:cheesy:bah.gif

Edited by Rimmer
please do not use none standard fonts, thank you

The thai must then be an idiot. That he believes that one can purchase a genuine Rolex watch 110000 baht.

A genuine Rolex watch in Denmark can easily be sold for more than 1 million Danish kroner.

More than 5 million baht. And it's not just because it's Denmark, but a genuine rolex watch has roughly the same price worldwide.

110000 baht so you know that it is fake watchwai2.gifcheesy.gif:cheesy:bah.gif

1) This is Thaïland

2) I dont think that Danes would be stupid enough to buy a steel Rolex ( even new ) for a 1,000,000 DK

3) Rolex prices range from 200,000 Thai baht to 1,500,000 (steel to gold) reaching a 3/4,000,000 for platinum

Big HooHaa about nothing.

Thais sell fake watches all day long to foreigners.

If a foreigner reported being scammed with a fake, he'd be the laughing stock at the police station, let alone fellow foreigners.

Yet, when the shoe's on the other foot, then it's a whole new ballgame.

I hope the scamming Swede is laughing all the way to the bank.

I doubt the Swedish guy would have allowed his Passport to be copied if the Rolex deal was not genuine,it would be interesting to know his whereabouts? and if he did a runner or is he still in Thailand.