Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

I have never heard of a secret word that's meant to be used by pilots in the situation you describe.

You can learn something new every day..... Looks like khaosai, Loptr, and GentleMan were

indeed left out of the loop, or are not commercial pilots. Would appear that the FAA is not

concerned if a Cessna 172 is hijacked..... :-)

http://irvingshapiro.tripod.com/cgi-bin/Flight_93/FAA_hijack.htm

"CNN: What are the cockpit procedures if you are being hijacked? Is there any way to send a secret signal to air traffic controllers?

BARR: Yes there are. There are certain phrases that the pilots are trained to use that will indicate to the air traffic controllers that a hijack is in progress Governments like to keep these procedures confidential so as not to help hijackers.

well I didn't learn anything new today from that site in your link. What you should learn though is that if you are going to link people to conspiracy sites concerning 9/11 you should declare it so that people have a choice to click on the link or not. There is NO "secret word pilots use in radio transmissions to indicate they have been hijacked.", and the reason you cannot 'say what it is', is because you don't know because the stench of male bovine feaces is overwhelming. Why declare that in a post when you know it to be untrue. And who is BARR? It sounds like this was an interview with CNN straight after flight 93 came down and they were dealing with someone as knowledgable as you, ie making it up.

You are wrong, simply admit instead of moving into attack mode and embarrassing yourself :-)

It will facilitate your learning process as well. How many more links do you need ?

Is AVweb a sufficient resource for you ?Are you really a pilot ?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/briefs/190493-1.html?redirected=1

"Australia's security apparatus went on its highest level of alert for two hours when the pilot of King Air accidentally used a "secret code word" indicating he was being hijacked, while talking with air traffic control. "

Is this international/universal or say country specific. Would a domestic "tower, the fox is in the hen house" phrase work in Asia as well as in the US?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never heard of a secret word that's meant to be used by pilots in the situation you describe.

You can learn something new every day..... Looks like khaosai, Loptr, and GentleMan were

indeed left out of the loop, or are not commercial pilots. Would appear that the FAA is not

"CNN: What are the cockpit procedures if you are being hijacked? Is there any way to send a secret signal to air traffic controllers?

BARR: Yes there are. There are certain phrases that the pilots are trained to use that will indicate to the air traffic controllers that a hijack is in progress Governments like to keep these procedures confidential so as not to help hijackers.

well I didn't learn anything new today from that site in your link. What you should learn though is that if you are going to link people to conspiracy sites concerning 9/11 you should declare it so that people have a choice to click on the link or not. There is NO "secret word pilots use in radio transmissions to indicate they have been hijacked.", and the reason you cannot 'say what it is', is because you don't know because the stench of male bovine feaces is overwhelming. Why declare that in a post when you know it to be untrue. And who is BARR? It sounds like this was an interview with CNN straight after flight 93 came down and they were dealing with someone as knowledgable as you, ie making it up.

You are wrong, simply admit instead of moving into attack mode and embarrassing yourself :-)

It will facilitate your learning process as well. How many more links do you need ?

"Australia's security apparatus went on its highest level of alert for two hours when the pilot of King Air accidentally used a "secret code word" indicating he was being hijacked, while talking with air traffic control. "

Is this international/universal or say country specific. Would a domestic "tower, the fox is in the hen house" phrase work in Asia as well as in the US?

Good question, I was sort of wondering the same thing myself. Since airlines routinely cross

different countries, it sort of stands to reason there must be only one phrase used . Perhaps

the FAA made it, and other countries followed. It makes perfect sense. You , me, and everybody

else knows the squawk code for a hijacking is 7500. So if the hijacker is in the cockpit with a gun

to the pilot's head, he would tell the pilot if he squawked 7500 he would die. So clearly there

is a backup system in place to alert traffic control.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Keithledgerwood.tumblr.com

I think that's got to be it, I said long ago it must have gone to Pakistan.

This, for sure, is what he would need a simulator for, practice intercepts !. MS Flight simulator will to that just fine..

Only loose end is the northern arc of the sat-com ping data. Is the Sing air plane's course close enough to

the arc defined by the satellite antenna's tilt angle?

Hi,

Certainly plausible Rabas and not something that I even considered. Regarding the SIA aircraft routing and satellite arc, I am not sure.

You would be very surprised just how accurate the onboard navigation systems are on these aircraft. Using all of the automation it would very straightforward for an experienced crew to formate on an aircraft flying above or below. The only problem with flying below the SIA flight is that the radio altimeter on the SIA aircraft would trigger an indication on the pilots primary flight display. No sound or flashing lights tho, only white numbers on how high above the object it is.

Re the radio altimeter, then could he not fit in a sweet spot just behind and below so that most of the altimeter's return signal came from the ground?

*Messed up quotes edited out*

Hi,

During my career I have never been told of any specific phraseology to use when it comes to communication with air traffic control during unlawful interference. There may be one in place but I have never been made aware of it.

The cabin crew onboard may use a specific term when they call the flight deck to highlight unlawful interference. A buzz word or combination of words if you like. That procedure and phraseology may however vary from airline to airline.

Personally, I will, if time permits select the appropriate transponder code then call "mayday, mayday, mayday, flight number, hijack situation" then "standby"

It's very much time dependant. I may choose to select the ADS emergency function on, equally I may have no time whatsoever.

Whatever terminology is used is up to the specific crew on that particular day and circumstance encountered. So long as it's clearly understood by all parties concerned is the main objective.

As an aside, flying globally, I would say that communicating with all the different agencies providing an air traffic control service is at times a real challenge, even using standard terminology ! Regional accents, rate of delivery, local language can all present issues even for an experienced crew.

Edited by Scott

You are wrong, simply admit it instead of moving into attack mode and embarrassing yourself :-)

No I am not wrong and yes I am a pilot. Are you going to question Loptr on his career as well? There is an emergency transponder code, which is known throughout the aviation world. It is not 'secret' and is published in the public domain by every CAA and ICAO to be used in the event of an aircraft hijacking. There are NO secret words. If one were to vocalize the numbers to be used in the transponder setting for an aircraft piracy then anybody in ATC would know exactly the situation, if you said "transponder XXXX followed by the numbers over the radio or "Roger squawking XXXX" then ATC could be forgiven for thinking you were the subject of Aircraft Piracy, that can be the ONLY thing that could have been said in the example you link to. If a hijacker knows about the transponder issue he would know exactly what you have said on the radio. This is a published protocol for use in an emergency situation. It is NOT a secret, there are NO secret code words. If a company has there own internal policy for veiled speech on the company net then that is their affair, it is not a system that could hold any international recognition. Instead of posting from conspiracy sites and other obscure sites how about you accept advice from people who do it for a living, instead of telling them they are embarrassing themselves. Understood?

Edited by GentlemanJim

Keithledgerwood.tumblr.com

I think that's got to be it, I said long ago it must have gone to Pakistan.

This, for sure, is what he would need a simulator for, practice intercepts !. MS Flight simulator will to that just fine..

Only loose end is the northern arc of the sat-com ping data. Is the Sing air plane's course close enough to

the arc defined by the satellite antenna's tilt angle?

Hi,

Certainly plausible Rabas and not something that I even considered. Regarding the SIA aircraft routing and satellite arc, I am not sure.

You would be very surprised just how accurate the onboard navigation systems are on these aircraft. Using all of the automation it would very straightforward for an experienced crew to formate on an aircraft flying above or below. The only problem with flying below the SIA flight is that the radio altimeter on the SIA aircraft would trigger an indication on the pilots primary flight display. No sound or flashing lights tho, only white numbers on how high above the object it is.

Re the radio altimeter, then could he not fit in a sweet spot just behind and below so that most of the altimeter's return signal came from the ground?

Yes, the aircraft could be manoeuvred into a position to avoid the rad alt "coming alive" but at night it would be more difficult. My knowledge of primary radar is very limited, but I would think its unlikely that if slightly offset longitudinally it would be detected by the controller.

The rad alt only triggers when it detects something within 2500ft, normally the terrain as you are on approach to land. It does trigger when you are being overtaken or are overtaking an aircraft below. The big difference then is that you have the aircraft on the traffic collision avoidance system (TCAS/ACAS) in addition to the RADALT indication.

So the options would be to stay slight behind and below and hope that primary radar will not pick up a longer than normal return or stay 2600ft directly below to avoid the aircraft above definitely not being aware.

Fascinating scenario indeed.

"The "all right good night" message where he breaks protocol was maybe the pilot trying to tell air traffic that he's not following protocol because he's under duress (ie. an Islamist hijacker has a knife to his throat)."

There is a secret word pilots use in radio transmissions to indicate they have been hijacked. I cannot say what it is, but can tell

you that " all right good night" is not it....

Utter BS... I'm more astounded that you would quote CNN as a news source... Airlines are companies, not governed by ANY countries government outside of the aviation regulations which apply to the airline, airport and operators. There is no universal "code word" established by governments for pilots to indicate an emergency or hostile action. See my previous post on squawk codes for transponders if you actually want to learn something. You yourself posted a link to squawk codes during the 9/11 event. And stop citing CNN as a "news source".

BTW, how many hours of PIC time do you have and in what type(s) of aircraft or are you yet another TV armchair quarterback?

No I am not wrong and yes I am a pilot. Are you going to question Loptr on his career as well? There is an emergency transponder code, which is known throughout the aviation world. It is not 'secret' and is published in the public domain by every CAA and ICAO to be used in the event of an aircraft hijacking. There are NO secret words. If one were to vocalize the numbers to be used in the transponder setting for an aircraft piracy then anybody in ATC would know exactly the situation, if you said "transponder XXXX followed by the numbers over the radio or "Roger squawking XXXX" then ATC could be forgiven for thinking you were the subject of Aircraft Piracy, that can be the ONLY thing that could have been said in the example you link to. If a hijacker knows about the transponder issue he would know exactly what you have said on the radio. This is a published protocol for use in an emergency situation. It is NOT a secret, there are NO secret code words. If a company has there own internal policy for veiled speech on the company net then that is their affair, it is not a system that could hold any international recognition. Instead of posting from conspiracy sites and other obscure sites how about you accept advice from people who do it for a living, instead of telling them they are embarrassing themselves. Understood?

Yes I understand perfectly. This is the internet, you could be a bartender for all I know. I pointed out

a simply fact that is easily researched, and yet you chose to deny it, and cloak yourself with professionalism. Well at least Loptr understands this procedure, not sure what your problem is. Oh well, the internet is full of amusing exchanges.....

Loptr post:

"In deference to EyesWideOpen's post, there is a "secret code" that pilots have to alert the ground that they are in an emergency situation. If you turn the transponders to 7700, this is the universal distress signal. Considering that the transponders were turned off on MH370, who ever took control of the aircraft knew this."

Yes I understand perfectly. This is the internet, you could be a bartender for all I know. I pointed out

a simply fact that is easily researched, and yet you chose to deny it, and cloak yourself with professionalism. Well at least Loptr understands this procedure, not sure what your problem is. Oh well, the internet is full of amusing exchanges.....

Loptr post:

"In deference to EyesWideOpen's post, there is a "secret code" that pilots have to alert the ground that they are in an emergency situation. If you turn the transponders to 7700, this is the universal distress signal. Considering that the transponders were turned off on MH370, who ever took control of the aircraft knew this."

So there is a secret code, but everybody including most members in this thread know the secret code.

Could it be that the word " secret" is somewhat misplaced ?

Loptr post:

Big difference between "code word" and "squawk code"... Just admit you out of your depth and leave it at that... Considering you've disparaged 3 or 4 pilots on this thread, it's the least you can do...

Loptr post:

Since when has a transponder code been a 'secret code word' - that you allegedly know but are unable to tell us. I think you will find that Loptr was giving the info for the benefit of other members here. I repeat again there are NO secret code words. You are trolling. Your simple fact is not 'easily researched'. Go ahead, anybody on here and research the 'secret code words' used during aircraft piracy. If you can come up with anything that is set down as an international standard as eyes wide open implies then I will give $1000 to a charity of your choice. The situation is EXACTLY as I have described in my previous two posts. Ready steady ...Go Research your heart out! Oh, in the event nothing can be found then n apology from Eyeswideopen will be accepted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" indicate they have been hijacked. I cannot say what it is, but can tell

you that " all right good night" is not it....

News to me too. I might have been left out of the loop as I've only been a pilot for 35 years. whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

Thank GOD you said that because I was racking my brains thinking, why don't I know the secret word. I was feeling left out Loptr. Perhaps we could have a pilots reunion in BKK - 'they who do not know the secret word' - I think it would be a busy drinkex.

In deference to EyesWideOpen's post, there is a "secret code" that pilots have to alert the ground that they are in an emergency situation. If you turn the transponders to 7700, this is the universal distress signal. Considering that the transponders were turned off on MH370, who ever took control of the aircraft knew this.

75 taken alive, 76 technical glitch, 77 going to heaven

I'm sure in an industry with such high level security concerns there is a secret code, but I bet you not gonna find it on Google.

If you can figure out why not, you're on the right path.

Correct.... Since everyone knows the squawk codes, if the hijacker is in the cockpit, the

pilot cannot really be in the position of quietly reaching over and trying to change the codes in front

of the hijacker who has a gun to his head. I thought it would be fairly easy to take

advantage of gentleman jim's offer of $1000 to my favorite charity, but alas it is not. The FAA

certainly keeps mum about it with their official response to hijackings. The only information I

could find was the story in AVweb about the King Air pilot who set off a terror alert in Australia

by accidentally using the code word....http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/briefs/190493-1.html?redirected=1

This code word is relevant , because it was NOT used in the last transmission. So this in essence

rules out the concept the cockpit was taken over by force and the transponder was manually

turned off by hijackers....

Edited by metisdead
Deleted posts edited out of reply.

US ship withdraws from search for missing Malaysia jet

WASHINGTON - A US naval ship that has been aiding the international search for a missing Malaysian airliner will be withdrawn from the effort, Pentagon officials said Monday.

After taking off from Kuala Lumpur headed to Beijing, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board, triggering a massive international search across Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean.

The New York Times, citing American officials, said separately Monday that the first turn to the west that diverted the plane from its planned flight path was carried out through a computer system that was most likely programmed by someone in the cockpit.

That reinforces increasing belief on behalf of investigators that the aircraft was deliberately diverted, the newspaper said.

The decision to take the USS Kidd off the search was taken because the search area was now so extensive that it was more efficient to look for the jet using surveillance aircraft, officials said.

The guided missile destroyer had joined the massive hunt last week and had shifted its focus west to the Andaman Sea on the request of the Malaysian government.

The Kidd, with a MH-60 helicopter on board, had completed a search of 15,000 square miles but "no debris or wreckage associated with an aircraft was found," it said.

AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-18

US military base, South Asian airports in MH370 pilot’s simulator, says paper

Investigations into the flight simulator taken from the missing pilot's home showed a software for five practice runaways, including one belonging to the United States, Berita Harian reported today.

"Among the software we checked so far is the Male International Airport in Maldives, three airports in India and Sri Lanka, and one belonging to the US military base in Diego Garcia. All have a runway length of 1,000 metres," a source told the Malay daily.

Police seized the flight simulator from pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's house last Saturday before reassembling it at the federal police headquarters in Bukit Aman, where experts were conducting checks.

After 10 days of searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, investigators have now conducting extensive background checks on the 239 people on board the plane, including the pilots, crew and passengers.

Cr: http://my.news.yahoo.com/us-military-south-asian-airports-mh370-pilot-simulator-020501547.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited per fair use policy

Investigations into the flight simulator taken from the missing pilot's home showed a software for five practice runaways, including one belonging to the United States, Berita Harian reported today.

"Among the software we checked so far is the Male International Airport in Maldives, three airports in India and Sri Lanka, and one belonging to the US military base in Diego Garcia. All have a runway length of 1,000 metres," a source told the Malay daily.

Police seized the flight simulator from pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's house last Saturday before reassembling it at the federal police headquarters in Bukit Aman, where experts were conducting checks.

After 10 days of searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, investigators have now conducting extensive background checks on the 239 people on board the plane, including the pilots, crew and passengers.

Cr: http://my.news.yahoo.com/us-military-south-asian-airports-mh370-pilot-simulator-020501547.html

Of course there are S Asian airports in his Sim. He was/is an FSX user, it has 24,000 default airports world wide. Then any extras he downloaded from such places as Flightsim.com and AVSIM.com. Plus any he purchased.

Of course there are S Asian airports in his Sim. He was/is an FSX user, it has 24,000 default airports world wide. Then any extras he downloaded from such places as Flightsim.com and AVSIM.com. Plus any he purchased.

There may be a bit of confusion over English usage. I was curious, so I downloaded FSX

and was playing around with it. It keeps a log of all your flights, so I think that is what

the news article is referring to, that he may have made approaches into those airports.

Also you are right, the program has a LOT of airports...Here is what the log book in the

program looks like....

Capture3.PNG

Edited by metisdead

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Perhaps also non-pilots or wannabe pilots can stop spouting as gospel complete and utter BS and trying to pass it on to other members as fact. The thread is about a missing aircraft and the how, why and where factor is more than quite important. Speculation by idiots claiming to be quoting fact when it is in fact BS is more than slightly unhelpful....thank you very much.

I'm sure in an industry with such high level security concerns there is a secret code, but I bet you not gonna find it on Google.

For the last time will you get it in to your head that there is NO code word. It is bad enough getting the international piloting profession speaking standardized English let alone having code words. Four Pilots on here have tried telling you there are none. Not one pilot has said there are. The only person claiming there is a code word (and he knows it but he can't say it) is the bullsh****ng poster below.

Correct.... Since everyone knows the squawk codes, if the hijacker is in the cockpit, the

pilot cannot really be in the position of quietly reaching over and trying to change the codes in front

of the hijacker who has a gun to his head. I thought it would be fairly easy to take

advantage of gentleman jim's offer of $1000 to my favorite charity, but alas it is not. The FAA

certainly keeps mum about it with their official response to hijackings. The only information I

could find was the story in AVweb about the King Air pilot who set off a terror alert in Australia

by accidentally using the code word....http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/briefs/190493-1.html?redirected=1

This code word is relevant , because it was NOT used in the last transmission. So this in essence

rules out the concept the cockpit was taken over by force and the transponder was manually

turned off by hijackers....

" I thought it would be fairly easy to take

advantage of gentleman jim's offer of $1000 to my favorite charity, but alas it is not"

Well why is that genius? Apply Occam's razor if you must. There is no code word, if there was do you think I would have offered any armchair idiot the chance to take $1000 off me. I can only hope you wasted absolute hours of your life scouring the internet for something that does not exist. With a couple of million pilots in the world one of them for sure would have spouted off the 'secret word' don't you think....but they haven't, why is that? I gave you a plausible explanation for your little tale you quoted from Australia, take it or leave it. Now concentrate on the thread, for the last time there are no code words. Your last sentence in your last post are the words of an utter mad man. What word was 'not used' in your opinion? What word must we use that could not possibly be used by accident in the millions of radio communications taking place every day, many of which are by people with English as a second language. 'Ovulation?, Umbrella?, Gravy?, bear in mind any word can not have a phonetically sounding equivalent in case it is misheard for the 'code word', and bear in mind that ATC would not be able to ask for confirmation if they thought they heard the word because that would give the game away with the hijackers who could now be in the cockpit listening to the RT. You are WRONG eyeswideopen, admit it and move on. Anybody that does find the code word, please be sure to PM it to the four pilots on here that have a collective experience of 100 years as we really don't know it and have never heard of it.

advantage of gentleman jim's offer of $1000 to my favorite charity, but alas it is not"

Well why is that genius? Apply Occam's razor if you must. There is no code word, if there was do you think I would have offered any armchair idiot the chance to take $1000 off me. I can only hope you wasted absolute hours of your life scouring the internet for something that does not exist. With a couple of million pilots in the world one of them for sure would have spouted off the 'secret word' don't you think....but they haven't, why is that? I gave you a plausible explanation for your little tale you quoted from Australia, take it or leave it. Now concentrate on the thread, for the last time there are no code words. Your last sentence in your last post are the words of an utter mad man. What word was 'not used' in your opinion? What word must we use that could not possibly be used by accident in the millions of radio communications taking place every day, many of which are by people with English as a second language. 'Ovulation?, Umbrella?, Gravy?, bear in mind any word can not have a phonetically sounding equivalent in case it is misheard for the 'code word', and bear in mind that ATC would not be able to ask for confirmation if they thought they heard the word because that would give the game away with the hijackers who could now be in the cockpit listening to the RT. You are WRONG eyeswideopen, admit it and move on. Anybody that does find the code word, please be sure to PM it to the four pilots on here that have a collective experience of 100 years as we really don't know it and have never heard of it.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Hamlet

Geez give it a rest. If your really are a pilot, you would of course

not be able to acknowledge such a code. People post differing views

on internet boards. Seems a bit petty to attack the person if your view

is different. Hope I never fly on your plane..... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" Hamlet

Geez give it a rest. If your really are a pilot, you would of course

not be able to acknowledge such a code. People post differing views

on internet boards. Seems a bit petty to attack the person if your view

is different. Hope I never fly on your plane..... :-)

I think it is you that should give it a rest. You are now using as proof that there is a code word because you cant find one on the internet and we would not admit to it anyway. Brilliant.

I have not attacked you and certainly not for having a different view. You have presented complete nonesense and been told by several people that have done the job for a full career that there is no such code word. Faced with such information, anybody with a different view with even a modicum of intelligence would change that view, that is of course unless all that matters in their tiny little world is being right no matter what. Indeed it is 'petty' to refuse to modify your view when faced with the undeniable fact that you are wrong. As for flying on my aircraft, you never will. Here endeth my interaction with you, apart from the last word which no doubt you will have to type to try and cling to the idea that you are somehow correct or alternatively to satisfy some weird trolling self gratification.

The link below was published on the 15th, which is the 16th out here by the Washington Post.

They're a newspaper I trust (anybody remember who broke Watergate?). It's now 2 days

old and with the addition today of the USS Kidd pulling out of the search...may be of some

help to those who want more clarification on the size & scope of this SAR mission.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/satellite-locates-malaysian-flight-370-still-flying-seven-hours-after-takeoff/2014/03/15/96627a24-ac86-11e3-a06a-e3230a43d6cb_graphic.html

And for "secret code/words"...there ain't any. I just called my ex-wife who was a Chief Pursor for

Cathay Pacific for 15 years and she informed me the cabin crew had no secret words to use

to inform the flight station (cockpit) except to pick up a handset and inform the guys up front

there was whatever problem in the cabin. A call to a now retired very senior CX check captain

(B747-200/400) also confirmed no "secret code/words" ever used. Squawking 7700 on the

transponder was the only "thing" used and this not only meant a possible hijacking but many

serious life threatening issues...say such as an engine fire that just refused to extinguish after

discharging more than one fire bottle (E-Handling the engine). No...I'm not a pilot....but I have

many old friends who are very senior pilots with heaps of hours (more than 15K) in many different

types of aircraft both civil & military. With that said...if a company has their own "secret code or

word" then that's their business.

Edited by sunshine51

I believe that there is a code word, there has to be a code word! Or mabey its just a sound? Like cough three time or something like that

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

God help us.

Sunshine51

Please don't let the truth or facts get in the way of someone determined to make a fool of themselves ;)

Edited by GentlemanJim