Need a Higher Value banknote ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equally, not many foreign countries will accept it at all to change into local currency.

What countrys are you talking about?

500 Euro notes not accepted?

In Thailand they favor crispy clean 500 Euro notes, best exchange rate at the private exchanges.

Makes the least work and hussle to carry/change.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think that Thailand needs a ฿20 coin. I find it necessary to carry too many ฿20 notes.

20 baht coins would only wear a hole in your pocket.

Would be a benifit for service staff as most people leave loose change.

Edited by DLP
  • Like 1

I would welcome that move, because when it comes to pay for house deposits, cars, etc. the volume of the 1000 notes can be a disturbance in some cases.

What a place it must be, where people make deposits of this nature in cash!

Edited by Morakot

Equally, not many foreign countries will accept it at all to change into local currency.

What countrys are you talking about?

500 Euro notes not accepted?

In Thailand they favor crispy clean 500 Euro notes, best exchange rate at the private exchanges.

Makes the least work and hussle to carry/change.

Of course a country like Thailand where such a huge proportion of the economy is under the table if not actually tied up in criminal enterprises, TPTB would never crack down on this at all if it weren't for Amerika's sticky-beaking.

Some countries actually have effective regulations targeting money laundering, in many such private exchanges are actually illegal, and believe me showing up with many thousands of Euros in cash will raise all kinds of questions and paperwork hassles for all concerned.

It's bad enough now finding small shops that can change B1,000 notes. A lot of the small vendors wouldn't have that in their float.

I have to agree there needs to be an easier way of paying for large purchases.

A couple of years back GSB wouldn't accept a bankers cheque from KTB. The buyer ended up having to go back to KTB and get a few million in cash to complete a house transfer. It keeps you on your toes walking down the street with that amount in a paper bag.

You need 1Bt coins (old ones, not the newer magnetic ones) to get 1.5l of drinking water out the machines. And you need 20Bt notes for visiting temples where they can be slipped into split bamboo. Can't do that with a coin.

1000Bt represents over 3 days work at min wage. That's quite big enough.

In the UK the £50 note is quite a rarity - used for buying secondhand cars and thats about it. Most people never see one so would be very suspicious - bit like the $10000 forged notes that were reported about recently....

Obviously the need isn't for day-to-day but large transactions.

Easy enough to get a bank cheque from the seller's bank.

Dangerous when ANYONE else knows you're carrying that much

Edited by wym

Not sure it's a wise idea !

I remember when the 1,000 baht note was introduced in the mid 90s, the bargirls who used to charge no more than 500 baht for their "one night service" quickly doubled their fee in a few months to pocket the new note !

Indeed they did!

I was off making my millions in the Americas when they rolled out the 1000 baht note but my buddies back here remarked that it was the death knell of the ubiquitous 500 baht long-time deal or 'purple fun ticket' as we called it.

I've lost count of the number of times that I have given a "1000 baht Note" to a vendor or taxi driver only to be told they don't have change. So, I don't think a higher value note will be coming in the future for a while.

Nice thought though

It also ups the temptation for counterfeiters and makes things easier for drug dealers and money launderers ... as well as causing a tendency to go cross eyed counting the zeroes when carried to an extreme.

1024px-Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obver

Edited by Suradit69

I think I remember a 10.000 baht note has been considered.

I would welcome that move, because when it comes to pay for house deposits, cars, etc. the volume of the 1000 notes can be a disturbance in some cases.

House purchase, car purchase, or any other heavy sums purchase does not have to be paid in cash, they can, should, and are normally paid by Bankers Draft, (cashiers cheque in Thailand)..

To create a 2, 000 bath note would be alright in particular for taking cash out of ATM, but the value of a 10,000 bath note is too high, it is not needed, and not necessary.

Edited by personchester

I find it difficult to go to the market to buy stuff unless I have a lot of 100, 50 and 20 baht notes.

I see the groan on the face of the 7/11 staff when I present a 1000 baht note.

I sold a house for 1.25 million baht and the buyer presented the million part of it all tied up by the bank.

Is no need to count that

I put it in the bank account so the bank, which was different from the Bank that supplied the cash just unbundled it and stuck it in the counting machine,

Does not seem much of a problem with the maxim sized note at 1000.

The only problem i have with Thai currency is the satang (spelling) which say Tesco insist giving one.

I throw those in a money box but I doubt they are worth anything much.

We have to remember that inflation or whatever has caused the Thai people to almost dump the satang.

A larger note than 1000 baht would probably increase counterfeiting.

Regards

I've lost count of the number of times that I have given a "1000 baht Note" to a vendor or taxi driver only to be told they don't have change. So, I don't think a higher value note will be coming in the future for a while.

Nice thought though

I have to agree. You would never get change. Why would you buy a house with a bill anyways? I would love an ATM in the states that only gave $100 bills.

I have not heard of serious attempts at baht note counterfeiting, but it is within the realm of possibility, i suppose.

It has been a major problem for some time now.

2008 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/231432-counterfeit-1000-baht-notes-concern-rises/

And 2011 - Travel Warning and German arrested for passing 500 Baht counterfeit notes

And 2012 - examiner.com

If you'll be traveling to Thailand in the next few months, before you start spending any money you might want to check your banknotes. Police in various parts of the country are warning fake 1,000 baht ($32.60) and 100 baht ($3.26) notes are being discovered all over Thailand as a new round of counterfeiting has raised its ugly head.

And 2013 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651036-ang-thong-police-warn-of-fake-500-baht-banknotes-circulation/

If anyone here is fed up with the inconvenience of carrying bulky large amounts of 1000 baht notes with them, than they are very welcome to pass them onto to me. I would even be willing to collect.

In my opinion introducing higher denomination bank notes more than the present 1000 baht would be a bad idea. Firstly, regarding the small businesses, market vendors, petrol stations and so on, they would be struggling to find change if they were presented with high value notes, plus there would be more incentives for criminals to Counterfeit them. I don`t think the Thai system is quite ready for too high bank notes as yet.

Hopefully more businesses and systems will start the processes of introducing options to pay by credit and debit cards, rather than having to carry large amounts of cash around, but I cannot see this happening in the foreseeable future, also considering that there are still many poorer Thais in the country that don`t even have bank accounts.

What maybe works well in the West does not mean similar methods would be practical here, as these regions of the world still have a lot of catching up to do.

Nice thought though

I think it would be useful, like the £50 note in the UK, people rarely use them for day to day spending.

A 10,000 baht note, perhaps issued by banks for people withdrawing large sums,would be a good idea.

There is a certain service one can buy where I live that is approaching that price.......smile.png

Youre being overcharged ......:D

Nice thought though

I think it would be useful, like the £50 note in the UK, people rarely use them for day to day spending.

A 10,000 baht note, perhaps issued by banks for people withdrawing large sums,would be a good idea.

There is a certain service one can buy where I live that is approaching that price.......smile.png

Youre being overcharged ......biggrin.png

I am a LDOP!

:D

Highest demoninations in use:

USD 100 ~ 3200 THB

EUR 500 ~ 22000 THB

CHF 1000 ~ 36000 THB

I think a 5000 THB note would be a good start.

you forgot the SGD 10,000 note which is ~THB 252,000:

Singapore_%2410000_yusof_front.jpg