Phuket Opinion: Mob rule – again:

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Mob rule – again

PHUKET: This week’s siege of Patong by hundreds of angry tuk-tuk drivers was just the latest manifestation of the power of the mob to run a steamroller over Thai law and the rights of the public. It has happened time and time again, and each time they get away with it.

The drivers made three demands. First, that the police superintendent in charge of Patong be removed. On this point they scored a big victory. The superintendent was transferred within hours to an empty desk at Provincial Police HQ.

Second, they demanded that no legal action be taken against them for blocking all roads in and out of Patong and many within Patong, an offence that would normally merit a fine of B500 under Section 385 of the Thai Penal Code. On this, too, they won, with the authorities promptly caving in.

Third – and this was the tricky one – they demanded that action be taken to rid Phuket (or Patong at least) of the plague of unlicensed, or “black”, tuk-tuks that have been competing against them.
Unfortunately, the only legal action that can be taken against unlicensed transport is a B1,000 fine for each offence. That’s just two fares.

So were the tuk-tuk drivers justified in their siege?
In one sense, yes. They have grown increasingly frustrated at the competition from the illegal tuk-tuks, and at the inability of the authorities to do anything about it.

The law needs to be beefed up, perhaps by bringing in a sliding scale of penalties for repeat offenders, up to confiscation of the vehicle or even jail time. That might be effective.

But at present the law is ineffective, and the legal tuk-tuk drivers are, as they see it, in a battle for their livelihoods and their right to monopoly. Six months after they first carried their grievances to Provincial Hall, nothing has been done (and nothing can, under present law) to turn back the tide of illegal competition.

But in another, much more important sense, the licensed tuk-tuk drivers are absolutely not justified. Causing chaos, blocking roads and strangling the tourism lifeblood of Phuket is a Neanderthal way to behave, quite apart from being illegal.

Mob rule is one of the darkest corners of a society that otherwise has a worldwide reputation for its bright smiles and friendliness.

The authorities appear powerless to address the root problems or to deal with the apparently inevitable mobs that arise from this powerlessness.

Tuk-tuk drivers already have a terrible reputation for extortionate pricing and explosively over-the-top reactions to any perceived threat. This latest show of truculence will do nothing to improve that reputation.

But do they care? Probably not.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-mob-rule-again-45032.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-09

• Like 1

I know the Thai Visa 'Mob' doesn't like positivity, so I'll keep this short. This piece is remarkably well written, the author even used truculence appropriately. (How many of you had to look that up? Just kidding:)

"But at present the law is ineffective, and the legal tuk-tuk drivers are, as they see it, in a battle for their livelihoods and their right to monopoly."

Objective, somewhat ironic -- again, well done.

Of course there's no name to the article, which probably means a westerner wrote it. Which indicates to me, in all likelihood, that the author's view is but a western perspective, at least in Phuket it is. Though I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Dont tuk tuk see the success of how Pattaya has their tuk tuks / song thaeo arrangement?

"You dont need to learn to love yourself; you just need to UNLEARN all the reasons you reject yourself..." -sent from TV app (Note 2).

• Like 1

I agree, and I agree that this "mob rule" mentality is at work in Bangkok right now also.

It's also disappointing that of the 3 demands the tuk-tuk drivers are reported to have demanded the authorities agreed to the 2 that broke the law but have not yet agreed to the 1 that supports the law.

Personally I don't understand the competition. You currently pay 500 baht for a 100 baht ride. If there was no

competition I guess the the cost would go to 1000-2000 baht for the same ride so I am in the side of the unlicensed

drivers. Neither driver is safer, better trained, or provides better service. If they want laws enforced lets do it equally

and fine the licenced taxi/tuk tuk drivers for operating without functioning meters or not using meters. Repeat offenders

on a sliding scale. No functioning meter the taxi is considered unlicensed and subject to the same fine as the

unlicensed taxi driver. Its all about the money from both the cost of the fare to the 35% commissions from tourist

sites and jewelry stores. Not about safety of tourists and quality of service. They should just licence everybody

who wants to be a taxi/tuk tuk driver. Licences for everyone. Then there will be competition.

Unlicensed Tuk-Tuks or licensed. I look at both in similar light and don't use either. This, in a very small way, expresses my dissatisfaction concerning their business practices and behaviors.

When the masses tire of their antics and boycot them, as well as Phuket, then perhaps a better system will replace it. Until then, it's off my travel radar.

People are said to come to Thailand for the laid back laws...

It shouldnt mean No laws....

Confiscate ANY vehicle that breaks license laws -

THB 5,000 fine and collection in 24 hours of offence.

Too simple - you bet!

2nd offence = 10,000

3rd offence = Vehicle sold to pay fine.

Driving License - disqualified for 1 year.

This will pay for more Police

AND better transport!

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I think the view of the average Thai person, whether in Phuket or elsewhere, is that it doesn't really matter and nothing can be done anyway.

The article makes sense ( although it doesn't address the reason why, or indeed whether, there should be a tuk tuk monopoly) and as has been said, was almost certainly written by a Westerner with a Western approach to such issues.

One thing is for sure, any future problems experienced by tuk tuk drivers will definitely result in similar mob rule incidents. It's worked before, so will be repeated over and over.

I already give these guys a wide berth and I'm steering even further clear In future!

A police officer who manages to generate that sort of reaction from any gang-affiliated group, particularly one that makes its living from exh[t]orting tourists to use their service, must be doing something right. For that, he deserves a pat on the back, not a transfer at the behest of the rogues line-up of the same exh[t]ortionists. Perhaps the other residents of the island should themselves demand that the superintendent, who undoubtedly served their interests, be reinstated; particularly bearing in mind another transfer of questionable legality which has got Thailand's inimitable PM into hot water - again.

And if the authorities are afraid to take on the tuk tuk mob, perhaps they should also enlist the support of the rest of the island's residents and traders, who depend on tourists for their living, to demand that the mob both respect the law and refrain from their tourist extortion tactics.

While they're at it, the local government could copy a Pattaya initiative and expand the licit competition by licensing metered taxis.