Oldest Japanese Restaurant in Chiang Mai

Beng

Had lunch at Sansui restaurant today. It was excellent and very authentic. According to the japanese chef/owner, it was the first japanese restaurant to open in Chiang Mai 20 years ago. I had mixed Tempura, Miso soup, fried fish, a pork and a beef dish, chicken rice, fried and pickled fish, fruits and a bottle of water for 315 baht. The place is not easy to find though. If anyone is interested, the adress is 3/3 Moo1 Chiang Mai-Sankamphaeng Road, Tasala (going towards Sankamphaeng, its at the end of the first little soi to your right after crossing the superhighway)

• Like 1

They might be right, but Sakura restaurant is the oldest that I can remember. It is on soi Chang Moi Kao now, but was on Moon Muang soi 2 when it first opened way back then. I'm not sure that it was ever excellent, but it has always been really cheap and has a lot of good dishes.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Quite a legendary place I remember Sansui as a kid (now 42) Sakura restaurant came much later. Owner is Japanese and he drives on his own to pick the fish himself from the fish market by the sea every couple of weeks and has been doing this for a long time.

Quite a legendary place I remember Sansui as a kid (now 42) Sakura restaurant came much later. Owner is Japanese and he drives on his own to pick the fish himself from the fish market by the sea every couple of weeks and has been doing this for a long time.

That's right. He goes to Rayong every 10 days to pick fresh fish.

• Like 1

ซันซุย ร้านอาหาร

http://goo.gl/maps/WOpkX

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks! :) OK gotta admit that the google street view didnt look too inviting but i'm always up for an adventure! The next time i'm in CM (1 to 2 weeks), I'll rent a bike and give it a look!

Thanks so much for the google map! :D

Hi, I re-check the map and it's the wrong place, here's the right one http://goo.gl/maps/Slo2R

Sorry about that

post-131333-0-18415400-1394964109_thumb.

ซันซุย ร้านอาหาร

Thanks! smile.png OK gotta admit that the google street view didnt look too inviting but i'm always up for an adventure! The next time i'm in CM (1 to 2 weeks), I'll rent a bike and give it a look!

Thanks so much for the google map! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Good to know. On the inside of the moat, near Jok Somphe

Driving from Huay Kheo Rd. is just after PTT, about 200 meters before Chiang Puak Gate, inside the small Soi where there is Samsung office ( big sign in blue color ) on the corner.

( I am sorry, I don't know exactly the name of the Soi ).

Hi, I re-check the map and it's the wrong place, here's the right one http://goo.gl/maps/Slo2R

Sorry about that

attachicon.gifClip_2.gif

ซันซุย ร้านอาหาร

Thanks! smile.png OK gotta admit that the google street view didnt look too inviting but i'm always up for an adventure! The next time i'm in CM (1 to 2 weeks), I'll rent a bike and give it a look!

Thanks so much for the google map! biggrin.png

Thanks! Found it. Now not so much of an adventure on a bike, but thats a good thing i think! thumbsup.gif

For my contribution, i was on the hunt for some mex food and someone recommended the Salsa Kitchen in north CM. I went there had some food. it was OK but on the way out I noticed a sushi place that was quite busy. So I stopped by had some salmon sashimi, and a couple other dishes plus beers. Total was just north of 400B but well worth it. Id go again if i wasnt looking for new watering holes biggrin.png The place is called AI Sushi and the google map link is below

Google map to ร้านอาหารญี่ปุ่น AI Sushi

I ate at Ai Sushi last night for the first time. Had a sushi/sashimi combo plate and thought it was quite good - very fresh. 5 pieces of sushi, 5 of sashimi, some tuna maki and a bowl of miso soup. Total 320 baht with a soft drink. Not bad. It;'s diagonally across Huay Kaew Rd. from the entrance to the Kad Suan Kaew Mall.

Good to know. On the inside of the moat, near Jok Somphe

Driving from Huay Kheo Rd. is just after PTT, about 200 meters before Chiang Puak Gate, inside the small Soi where there is Samsung office ( big sign in blue color ) on the corner.

( I am sorry, I don't know exactly the name of the Soi ).

Thanks. It is on the outside of the moat. Correct?