I need an "Idiot's Guide to Smart Phones"...

pianoman

O.K., I can handle Windows XP, even have pretty much figured out most of the functions on my 10+ year old Nokia cel phone on AIS prepaid, but considering purchasing a "Smart Phone" mainly for Skpye calls and possibly GPS functions and checking e-mails..

I don't know / understand how the companies charge like for regular phone usage, and then for internet connections... And would like suggestions for the best way to go both company and phone brand for this Old Man with an Old Brain???

Pianoman

Company is really all down to coverage and price. You should buy a package that includes data, and does not charge you extra once your data runs out.

You can save that data usage by connecting to Wifi wherever possible.

For a phone, from what you describe I would go for a Nokia Windows Phone. They are pish easy to use for the things you describe, and are much easier to learn and use than Android or iPhone if you are a complete novice.

1.png

• Like 2

Dtac do a 1.5gb net package for 399 a month, if you go over your allowance you won't be charged but the speed will be slowed down

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have the next package up (499) and am considering a move down to the 399 pkg.

just cuz' what I have is more than I need.

I just keep the baht in the phone above the bill and their auto billing takes it out.

Am quite happy with the dtac offerings.

Never buy a phone that's "smarter" than you.

If that is true, I probably shouldn't have the 10+year old Nokia that I currently using... But actually that is what has kept me from diving into this before now...

Pianoman

If that is true, I probably shouldn't have the 10+year old Nokia that I currently using... But actually that is what has kept me from diving into this before now...

Pianoman

I am surprised its still working after 10 years

Bought an SG2 over a year ago & didn't take me long to figure most of it out.

They're full of useless Apps that seem to do all more or less the same thing, ie annoy me & nothing much.

But video calling on Line & Skype is great fun.

Anybody remember the brick phones from the early 80's?

Bought an SG2 over a year ago & didn't take me long to figure most of it out.

They're full of useless Apps that seem to do all more or less the same thing, ie annoy me & nothing much.

But video calling on Line & Skype is great fun.

Anybody remember the brick phones from the early 80's?

In the past I always had the Latest & Greatest available, even had one of the first Moterolia Brick Phones that everyone would stop you and ask if it really worked like a regular phone... I just don't remember at what point in time my knowledge / ability was passed by the technology...

Pianoman

I have a 99 baht package with AIS/1-2 call.

I get 90 MGb (sometimes they add 20 MGb free) and then I think I pay 2 baht per MGb if I go over the limit. However in 12 months I have never exceeded the limit. Some months I leave the 3G connection open all the time, but some months I have to switch off if I am approaching the limit.

The secret: I use wi-fi at home and wi-fi in bars etc when I am out. Just have to remember not to download any clips etc when on the move.

Silly to pay big prices for packages you do not need.

Pianoman

I am surprised its still working after 10 years

does that phone have a crank on the side ? 10 years mate good job

Quick question. If you have a smart phone with a package, can you take the SIM card out and use it in your iPad?

Depends. They are not always the same size. An example is Samsung galaxy and a mini iPad, they use different sizes of sim cards.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

one more thing.... don't buy from a 'booth' in a mall or a small pokey little shop with feral looking staff.... get it from a proper retailer.

Thank You to all for the feedback, advice and suggestions... As with most of life here in Thailand the stituation was taking out of my control and handled by Thai Nationals... The GF took her niece to the Sansung store at Big C, purchased a Galaxy Win for 9,000 baht including a decent case... Then took it to Telawiz / AIS and had my old Sim card and a new Sim card inserted, set me up with my old sim card for my continued use as a cel phone for making calls and such... The new sim card is setup to be the one for "on line" use and have a 199 baht package that allows me 300MB per month... They also set up the internet to use my in home WiFi which does not take away anything from the 300MB monthly... They tell me that I can just continue to purchase Baht / Time for my old number / sim card as I have in the past, and after a month or two of the 199 baht package I can see if I would want / need more or less going into the future...

After downloading the Owner's Manual to my computer, I can see that I have lots of reading to do, and that most of the features will remain virtually Un-Used by myself...

Once again, Thank You to all...

Pianoman

one more thing.... don't buy from a 'booth' in a mall or a small pokey little shop with feral looking staff.... get it from a proper retailer.

Thank You to all for the feedback, advice and suggestions... As with most of life here in Thailand the stituation was taking out of my control and handled by Thai Nationals... The GF took her niece to the Sansung store at Big C, purchased a Galaxy Win for 9,000 baht including a decent case... Then took it to Telawiz / AIS and had my old Sim card and a new Sim card inserted, set me up with my old sim card for my continued use as a cel phone for making calls and such... The new sim card is setup to be the one for "on line" use and have a 199 baht package that allows me 300MB per month... They also set up the internet to use my in home WiFi which does not take away anything from the 300MB monthly... They tell me that I can just continue to purchase Baht / Time for my old number / sim card as I have in the past, and after a month or two of the 199 baht package I can see if I would want / need more or less going into the future...

After downloading the Owner's Manual to my computer, I can see that I have lots of reading to do, and that most of the features will remain virtually Un-Used by myself...

Once again, Thank You to all...

Pianoman

I was going to tell you that it pays to take a good look at the data packages. 300 MB a month is practically nothing. To give you some examples, MyYahoo will take 5-10 MB to load (depending on your content), Skype more, a lot more when you are actually calling. Also after it reaches the monthly limit, the speed will drop to agonizing levels, about 150-300 kbps.

So yes, use wifi as much as possible and look into the DTAC data packages of 1-2 GB.

Have to agree, the OP won't be doing much Skype'in with 300MB allowance a month. I can use that listening to TuneIn Radio for a few hours on my iPhone.

2GB a month is more like it or you'll never achieve the potential of owning a smartphone.

If your budget suits, iPhone would have been a good choice. I could elaborate but little point. Once you own one, you might understand what I mean.

Have to agree, the OP won't be doing much Skype'in with 300MB allowance a month. I can use that listening to TuneIn Radio for a few hours on my iPhone.

2GB a month is more like it or you'll never achieve the potential of owning a smartphone.

If your budget suits, iPhone would have been a good choice. I could elaborate but little point. Once you own one, you might understand what I mean.

You could elaborate in the Apple thread.

whistling.gif