Don Mueang Airport considers monorail to facilitate passengers

webfact

Don Mueang Airport considers monorail to facilitate passengers
By Digital Content

13944417376027.jpg

BANGKOK, March 10 – Airports of Thailand (AoT) is considering building a monorail to Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok as part of its fourth phrase development plan to cope with its increasing passenger flow.

Airport director Jaturongkapol Sodmanee said Monday that AoT had begun the second and third phases of refurbishing Bangkok’s second airport, with a budget of Bt3 billion, covering Terminals 1 and 2 as well as the runways and taxi ways. He emphasised the possibility that a monorail will be built to facilitate the airport’s passengers.

Mr Jaturongkapol said the monorail will link the airport’s two terminals, depot and with both red and dark green commuter rail system lines.

AoT alone can provide budget for the monorail construction. The project will be included in the fourth phrase of the airport’s development plan.

Second and third phase refurbishment includes both Terminals 1&2, a building at the southern part of the airport, the airport’s 5th concourse and its seven-story parking building.

Mr Jaturongkapol said the renovation, due to be completed this year, will help increase the airport capacity to handle up to 30 million passengers a year. The projects will also help facilitate expanding domestic and regional routes to China, Japan and Korea.

AoT aims to offer less than an hour service to domestic flight passengers and less than two hours service for international flight passengers as about 9 million more passengers are expected to travel through the airport in the near future.

The current refurbishment at both Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports will soon begin to help the country cope with the constant rise in number of air travellers, up to 90 million a year.

As of now, seven airlines operate at Don Mueang, offering 23 domestic routes and 24 international routes. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-10

????? Aren't these clowns about 12 years too late???

What is wrong with the government? Don't they drive in the city? Can't they see that the priority is traffic IN THE CITY, not to some secondary airport used for local flights and tourism mostly?

What a bunch of incredibly incompetent, useless bureaucrats. No wonder our wonderful city is getting crappy to live in!!!

FIX THE TRAFFIC IN THE CITY, CLEAN UP THE GARBAGE!!!!

Nothing to do with the government or a link TO the airport. This is about AoT building a monorail within the airport. Would would AoT sort out city traffic? It's nothing to do with them. Why haven't you sorted it out?

This part seems hopeful:

Mr Jaturongkapol said the monorail will link the airport’s two terminals, depot and with both red and dark green commuter rail system lines.

I absolutely HATE taking a taxi from airports here. Do I need to explain? A rail line from DMK connected to regular light rail would be a smashing idea.

Now, if they could connect Swampy with Don Mueang, that would be a life saver for transfer passengers.

Anything to avoid those azzholes in taxis.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What is wrong with the government? Don't they drive in the city? Can't they see that the priority is traffic IN THE CITY, not to some secondary airport used for local flights and tourism mostly?

What a bunch of incredibly incompetent, useless bureaucrats. No wonder our wonderful city is getting crappy to live in!!!

Nothing to do with the government or a link TO the airport. This is about AoT building a monorail within the airport. Would would AoT sort out city traffic? It's nothing to do with them. Why haven't you sorted it out?

This part seems hopeful:

I absolutely HATE taking a taxi from airports here. Do I need to explain? A rail line from DMK connected to regular light rail would be a smashing idea.

Now, if they could connect Swampy with Don Mueang, that would be a life saver for transfer passengers.

Anything to avoid those azzholes in taxis.

Agree, outside of the internal transport between DM Terminals 1 and 2 at DM airport, it would in the interests of all, passengers, staff etc., for a circle line: city, swampy, DM, with regular trains in both directions.

Is there enough passenger traffic to warrant this? What are plans for linking the two airports - Don Muang and Suwannaphum?

Passengers...who needs passengers....ca chink ca chink....money in the pocket.

• Like 1

Or make the airport link to Swampi airport so that people accept it, or make it from Bangkok till Pattaya, taking out a bit of the traffic from the streets.

" BANGKOK, March 10 – Airports of Thailand (AoT) is considering building a monorail to Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok as part of its fourth phrase development plan to cope with its increasing passenger flow."

Once again an incorrect headline. It is actually about a monorail within Don Mueang and connection to light rail stations, one of which will be just across the highway. There is already a walkway from the train station directly into both terminals that has been there for 20 odd years. Doesn't seem necessary to me as I used to walk between the old International and domestic terminals and the railway station.

oh stupid me. I forgot that there's lots of money to be skimmed from any new construction project

Interestingly the contract has been awarded to the famous Briitish company better known for its meat sauces.

The system will be known as the

'GRAVY TRAIN'

To ensure in minimal ovespill and good dipping they have saved wasting money on accurate transparent tendering and there wont need to be any auditing nonsense.

There will be 3 classes on the train unlike the free monorails at KL and Slingapaw

Upper Crust where you will be massaged in each oriface,full buffet

Middle Class to goldshirt members,fake hi-so luggage ;abel switch optional

and Solidarity class who will push the first to removing need for any fuel and ensuring minimal gas emissions other than normal somstamsupper vapours

• Like 1

I have an idea!

Why don't they build a Japanese bullet train between the two terminals? It would be so quick and the ride would be modern and cool.... people would love it???!!!

Who are the MORONS in charge of planning.... as usual, the members on here smelt out the real reason behind this stupid construction: CORRUPTION MONEY!!!!

I have an idea!

Why don't they build a Japanese bullet train between the two terminals? It would be so quick and the ride would be modern and cool.... people would love it???!!!

Ahh, but you seem to have forgotten that the "high-speed" train link to Hua Hin is to have six stops on the way...!!?

A rough estimate of the time taken to reduce speed, stop at the next station, pick up speed again and then put the brakes on for the next one would make it about two hours to Hua Hin, about the same amount of time that it takes me in my Camry...!!

No doubt they would wish to make use of the eight or nine (?) stations on the airport link for any proposed "high-speed' link between the two airports...!!

Or make the airport link to Swampi airport so that people accept it, or make it from Bangkok till Pattaya, taking out a bit of the traffic from the streets.

The ARL was always intended to be extended to DMK from Phayathai. The original timeframe was to start construction in 2015/2016. However, the 2 airport policy decision of the Cabinet in April 2012 required that this timetable be brought forward.

In mid 2013 the Transport Minister stated that the extension of the ARL was "a priority". By early 2013, it was stated that the tender would definitely go out by mid 2013. The political conflict of the last 6 months and subsequent dissolution of parliament in early Dec 2013 has meant that the ARL extension and two other new metro lines that were to be extended are on hold until a new govt is formed.

The original 2015/16 start of construction looks accurate. Expect a 4 year construction time frame.

Some further backdround info in this thread (#538), http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/369458-airport-rail-link-again-sorry/page-21

• Like 1

In the long term this may not be such a bad idea.

The SRT Dark Red LIne (Bang Sue to Rangsit) is currently under construction and it will have a station at DMK station (as will the ARL when it is complete). Should be completed by 2016/7.

The BTS Dark Green line (Mo Chit to Ku Kot/Lam Lukka) will run along Phahonyothin rd but have no access to DMK.

If the tender is awarded by April as scheduled work might start by Oct/Nov and be done in 4 years, ie. late 2018.

In the long term perhaps by 2025, with many more pax it may be useful to have such a link between the DMK station and say the BTS station at Saphan Mai. However, such a proposal should be subject to a detailed study once both lines are open for a couple of years.

AoT is considering building a monorail to Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok as part of its fourth phrase development plan

AoT had begun the second and third phases of refurbishing Bangkok’s second airport, with a budget of Bt3 billion, covering Terminals 1 and 2 as well as the runways and taxi ways

It doesn't say the monorail will cost 3 billion baht.

• Like 2

I have an idea!

Who are the MORONS in charge of planning.... as usual, the members on here smelt out the real reason behind this stupid construction: CORRUPTION MONEY!!!!

Yes the way they are going on about it you would think there is no question who will be the Prime Minister in 6 months. They are figuring on lots in there pockets because they think people are just looking at her face not what she is doing.

I imagine it will be BTS similiar to what they have at BKK.Sounds like A good idea to me.I'm all for it.

You imagine wrong. A monorail is not "similar to what they have" in Bangkok. The bts is nothing like a monorail.

Sent from my phone ...

You must be five years old or English is your second language....

Even stupider!!!! Linking two terminals for domestic flights.... that's like building an eight lane superhighway on soi Tonson so that people can go eat at Gianni's restaurant without waiting in traffic.

You perhaps need to read and assimilate before attacking - he didn't say he agreed with it, he said that it was nothing to do with government but purely the AoT who want to build a monorail between terminals.

I think the money would be much better spent on linking the two airports with perhaps a high speed monorail or even a maglev, which would almost become a tourist attraction in its own right - as well as being pretty safe, since they cant come off the "track" as they wrap around it.

Agree that the traffic is pretty bad and does need fixing, but you have to remember which budget allocation is which and what departments or quangos are doing what and to whom...

Ahhhh... linking the two airports... now that makes a bit more sense... still not the optimum use of the taxpayer's monies... actually, given Suvarnabhumi was suppose to be one of the biggest, best airports in Asia, why do we even need two airports? Most other Asian countries have much better airports than Thailand, except the Philippines.... what a shame!