Is Kawa z800 a: old/new/Asian model? Import or no?

Shurup

I've had enough of my Yamaha Dragstar 400 so decided to sell it. Wife is also telling me to sell her Ninja 300 so it may be up for grabs too, just maybe, will see about that.

Anyways I started researching my next bike. Looking at the z800 for its attractive pricing, but the thing weights about 20 lbs more than the z1000 and no ABS??? On the Kawa USA site, the z800 isn't even there, so looks like it's the old model? It seems that all the new Kawa bikes in Thailand are coming with ABS? Is it locally made or imported?

Another bike I'm considering is Monster 796 (comes with ABS and a 100 lbs lighter than the z800). It's a little over my budget, I'd like to stay below the 400K but if it's worth it, I'd go for it. Monster's engine is air cooled. Any heat related problems with it in Thailand?

Any other bikes in the same CC and price group? If I was still in Canada I'd get a z1000, it looks hotter and from the specs it's just a better bike, but I'm not paying 600K here.

I'd also prefer the Ninja style, with fairings, not naked, but there's no Ninja in between the 650-1000.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

The Monster 795 (asian model) had pretty bad reviews. The 796 I don't know - check out online reviews, I guess, as that's the international model. 795 isn't produced anymore, only 796, and it's assembled in Thailand.

Z800 has great reviews. Why the Thai version doesn't have ABS is anyone's guess - I imagine ABS will come to the model line this year or next, and the price will go up accordingly. They did the same thing with the ER-6n when it was introduced.

It's heavy, yes. It's also cheaper than the Z1000.

Z800 is new and made in Thailand. Z1000 is imported. If they don't have them in the USA - not going to look that up now - then it's because Kawasaki doesn't sell it there.

Edited by nikster

Yes I better do some more reading, and I have time for it. Not in a hurry to buy right away as I have another bike to ride while I'm selling my cruiser.

I can also wait till they come up with ABS model, hopefully next year model. Can you give me a rough idea how much the price went up for er6n abs (vs no abs)?

Will have to sit on it to feel it, from trying the cbr250, I found them very uncomfortable (for my jewels :D), and it was one of the reasons I went with Ninja 300 for my wife (as I ride it too).

Is it possible to take one for a test ride?

I'm open to suggestions and MT 09 looks very interesting. I still have a Yamaha WR450 in Canada and I love it but haven't ridden it much recently.

Will be a sweet deal if there was a dealer support network.

Will have to sit on it to feel it, from trying the cbr250, I found them very uncomfortable (for my jewels biggrin.png), and it was one of the reasons I went with Ninja 300 for my wife (as I ride it too).

Is it possible to take one for a test ride?

i think you can test ride new honda 650 series soon within a month.

The Monster 795 is still being made its actually a monster 696 with the same 803cc engine as the Monster 796 ,

the 696 is not sold in Asia but as its smaller and lower then 796 it was decided to use 696 chassis with 796 engine to create the 795 model , and it will continue to be sold as it fit people of smaller size than the single sided swingarm 796 .

there is nothing wrong with the 795 its a very good budget bike fills same roll as 696 in Europe .The 796 has better forks and single sider swingingarm but the engine is exactly the same .

• Like 2

@liddelljohn any issues with 796 that you have heard of? Any heat related issues with these air cooled engines?

No overheating issues but they are uncomfortable for the rider because of excessive heat and ergonomics. I have two friends who sold them in about a year.

• Like 1

^^^ I guess it takes the Ducati out of the equation. Thanks.

Ducati pattaya use to give test drives and that's what shyed me away from them. You might want to check if they still do or even rent one to see for yourself as everyone (person)is different

The Monster 795 (asian model) had pretty bad reviews. The 796 I don't know - check out online reviews, I guess, as that's the international model. 795 isn't produced anymore, only 796, and it's assembled in Thailand.

Z800 has great reviews. Why the Thai version doesn't have ABS is anyone's guess - I imagine ABS will come to the model line this year or next, and the price will go up accordingly. They did the same thing with the ER-6n when it was introduced.

It's heavy, yes. It's also cheaper than the Z1000.

Z800 is new and made in Thailand. Z1000 is imported. If they don't have them in the USA - not going to look that up now - then it's because Kawasaki doesn't sell it there.

As far as the M795 having bad reviews please point one out. The bike is basically a M696 with a 796 engine. Its good for Asians as it is lower. I've owned mine for almost 2 years and its a cracking bike for what I use it for which is a weekend toy. As far as it not being produced anymore I can't comment but its listed on Ducati Thailand @ 399,999 THB.

For the OP yes the 795/796 get hot as they're air cooled so they are a bit warm when running and stationary at a traffic light. Also they're very high geared. But great handling and good noise.

• Like 1

I dont think the z800 is an older model, I test rode one and was very impressed with it overall, I thought the looks were the best part. Very smooth and surprisingly nimble for the extra weight. I prefer twins so I decided against it in the end for that reason but overall I thought it was a very solid bike and an even better price. I'd highly recommend going for a test ride.

• Like 1

Just returned from Kawa Korat where I took my Ninja 300 for some service. Had a lot of time to sit on the bikes, I've got a feeling that the z800 seat isn't as comfy as Ninja ' seat, it's slightly tilted forward. Z1000 was gone from the show room so didn't try it, but Ninja 1000 felt like it was made for my arse.

@liddelljohn any issues with 796 that you have heard of? Any heat related issues with these air cooled engines?

796 NO mechanical or reliablity issues , but ducatis are love it or hate it for comfort ,, I own 4 of them , my aircooled ones are most comfy and heat is not an issue but my water cooled model sometimes gets uncomfortable from heat on my balls and legs in heavy traffic ,, i have done 1000km+ in a day many times , I do use a gel pad for long trips .

The Z800 in thailand is latest model its also an excellent bike ,,,

Edited by liddelljohn

Go for the ZX10R mate.

If it feels good, go for it!

I would but I'd have to sell both of my bikes (was planning keeping the Ninja and trying to convince the wife to go riding with me again) and probably add another 330-350K on top. Way over my budget. If I don't find anything else that feels so good, I may just wait a little before buying a Ninja 1000. Wife keeps blaming me that I keep buying things and she's right. Bikes isn't my only hobby, I'm also into diving (cave diving) and it isn't cheap either.

Go for the ZX10R mate.

is the zx10r available here now?
Kawasaki Thailand Web site shows it available at 629K. There's one in the show room in Korat, looks good and very comfortable.

• Like 1

Go for the ZX10R mate.

is the zx10r available here now?
Kawasaki Thailand Web site shows it available at 629K. There's one in the show room in Korat, looks good and very comfortable.

Seems to be cheap as that's a great bike. I looked here

http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle.asp but couldn't find it listed. I think the ninja is only 609,000 I would think for 20k more no one would buy a ninja.

last time the zx10r was here it was a restricted model so I will be curious if theses are unrestricted?

I think your minds made up, just need to get some excuse in place before to sign on the dotted line.

Can't wait till get my next bike (bikeless now - in Malaysia), that will be back home also in Korat - is the Yamaha dealer still there on Mittrapharp Road (MT-09)?

Kawasaki isn't selling the ZX-10R in LOS- 629K is for the Ninja 1000.

The US version is restricted about 20hp below the Euro version for emissions reasons- it only takes an ECU flash to fix it, though.

Red Baron had a couple for 800K give-or-take.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Kawasaki isn't selling the ZX-10R in LOS- 629K is for the Ninja 1000.

The US version is restricted about 20hp below the Euro version for emissions reasons- it only takes an ECU flash to fix it, though.

Red Baron had a couple for 800K give-or-take.

Ok that sounds correct. The version they sold here before I think was Japan restricted.