OTC Debit Card Failure - Outside ATM Works

Getting very short and no longer able to use the AEON machines - no, I'm not going to get involved in that interminable discussion of the picayune exchange rates and one small American bank and its credit/debit cards - I went into my own local Bangkok Bank where I've had an account for about five years, this morning to do an over-the-counter withdrawal of money from my Canadian bank, asking for 30k baht which is more than the ATM can provide.

I've done this many times at ATMs, but wanted to avoid that horrendous fee.

Passport etc, all prepared, but the machine on the desk refused my transaction - Rejected! PIN was fine, card is good, account no problem, amount okay, but Rejected.

Had to go outside to the same bank's ATM, agree to that 180 baht fee, in order to get 25k baht. Card accepted, no problem in spitting out the 25k, but nasty coercion on that fee.

I've no idea why the same card is rejected by the same bank's OTC machine but accepted by their own ATM machine. Gotta be gouging for that fee.

OP: at the desk was your PIN entered? You imply it was but many times a counter withdrawal does not involve use of PIN...instead just your signing of a receipt.

When only a receipt is signed it's easier for fraud to occur as it all depends on how well the bank teller verifies your identify which can be hard to do due to fake IDs...and some bank cards always require a PIN to obtain cash....a signature on a receipt only don't hack it. Once again, did you enter your PIN at the counter desk transaction machine or are you really saying the PIN is good because it works in an ATM?

Your card is probably blocked.You have to call up your bank for approval for a huge withdrawal. Do this everytime for OTC transactions.

No block at all. As I said, I've got approval for more than the amount permitted at BKBK machine. Done 40k in the past at AEON with no problem, and did get the cash from the ATM with no problem. I've ensured I've got a good cushion in amounts from my Canadian bank.

OP: at the desk was your PIN entered? You imply it was but many times a counter withdrawal does not involve use of PIN...instead just your signing of a receipt.

When only a receipt is signed it's easier for fraud to occur as it all depends on how well the bank teller verifies your identify which can be hard to do due to fake IDs...and some bank cards always require a PIN to obtain cash....a signature on a receipt only don't hack it. Once again, did you enter your PIN at the counter desk transaction machine or are you really saying the PIN is good because it works in an ATM?

Yes, I entered my PIN into the machine on the bank's desk, so it wasn't a PIN problem. I was the one who entered the PIN, so no problem there. It works fine in the ATM outside. The same card, the same PIN.

Just a difference in the counter machine and the outside ATM charging that 180 baht fee.

< Inflammatory reply to deleted flame post edited out of post >

Edited by metisdead

Thanks. Banking in Thailand can be frustrating sometimes...I know it has been for me off and on on some issues over the years...and the frustration can vary from bank to bank or branch to branch.

Passport etc, all prepared, but the machine on the desk refused my transaction - Rejected! PIN was fine, card is good, account no problem, amount okay, but Rejected.

Neat way to not have to reject your OTC request head on. Avoid confrontation with a broken card machine -- and earn 180 baht while at it. Clever.