When I Go to Pattaya, I Tell Others I am Going to Hua Hin...

ivan96822

Responses so far miss the point. It's all about motivation as to why the OP is going to Pattaya. If it's for sex, I doubt many on here would say anything other than Pattaya has a whole load of things that don't revolve around getting your end away.

Why not call a spade a spade and stop trying to avoid the obvious.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Responses so far miss the point. It's all about motivation as to why the OP is going to Pattaya. If it's for sex, I doubt many on here would say anything other than Pattaya has a whole load of things that don't revolve around getting your end away.

The point is not why the op is going to Pattaya at all.

It is about what others think when you tell them.

There seems be a feeling of shame in telling folks that you are going to Pattaya probably based on others conceptions/misconceptions about the place.

I am not bothered about what others think but I will surely try to educate them about the broad spectrum and diversity of entertainment to be found there.

When I tell people I am going for soup, I mean Karaoke bars until 3 a.m.

When I say I am going for a walk, I am flying to Phuket to see lady boys.

Whey I say I am going back to UK, I run to Burma.

When I say I am checking facebook, I go to TV

and When I say I am going to study at the temple, I sell everything and sleep in the streets of Chiang Rai

What i have noticed is, once you tell folks back home you live in ''Thailand'', 99 percent of there reaction is not positive, and it definetly raises eyebrows.... , and we all know what they are thinking..

Sad it is, but its true...

Thailand has that reputation and i doubt if it will ever shake it off..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually, it is, otherwise why the charade? If I was going to Pattaya to watch a show without any inclination to go out on a bender afterwards, I couldn't care less what other people might think - it's none of their business, and none of my business to care about what they think..

There seems be a feeling of shame in telling folks that you are going to Pattaya probably based on others conceptions/misconceptions about the place.

I am not bothered about what others think but I will surely try to educate them about the broad spectrum and diversity of entertainment to be found there.

Actually, it is, otherwise why the charade? If I was going to Pattaya to watch a show without any inclination to go out on a bender afterwards, I couldn't care less what other people might think - it's none of their business, and none of my business to care about what they think..

I don't know what you are being but I would guess to say that yes, you are being judgemental. Therefore you could never be my friend.

Is it just me or is that the most ironic comment of the day? In the process of passing judgement on you I will forbid you from being my friend on the basis that you pass judgement on others!

People talk and people are tarnished. That's how it is in the real world. Ban the sex-tourism in Pattaya and see what happens. Of course it's deemed a sex-tourism trap - because if Pattaya cannot be deemed a sex-tourism destination then nowhere else on Earth can. Sometimes, for social and employment reasons, it's simply best to lie about going there.

I don't know what you are being but I would guess to say that yes, you are being judgemental. Therefore you could never be my friend.

Let's use some of your own logic, I have known about Pattaya and the sex industry here probably about the same time you were walking in diapers and saying "Poop-poop Momma". I have in fact lived here many years, where judging from your post you did not. But I cannot remember the last time I have been in a Bar let alone with a Bar Girl. But then to me, most of them are very nice people who I feel no shame being with and always had fun.

I have been to Paris and I have seen the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. Also Amsterdam and the Red Light District while I was there one time. My Friends did not assume I was in a coffee house doing drugs, as they know me well enough to know I don't do drugs. But yes, while their, I did see this. I have seen the Colosseum in Rome. The Pyramids in Egypt. London Bridge. And this list goes on and on. But on a recent trip I also went to Cambodia with my wife, just to see some of that country as it is close to Thailand.

Whether you know this or not, Cambodia is also famous for being a Child Sex Tourist Destination. I Love Kids and would never even dream of hurting anyone of them in such a sick way. But according to you, and perhaps this poster, I should lie about this fact and tell my friends I am going someplace else, just in case they will think of me later as being a Child Molester.

If that is the case then like I said all along Mate, "Time to get New Friends!"

Oh Ya! If I went to Nepal My Friends would not think that I was going Mountain Climbing or Hiking! They know me well enough that I would hate that. At my age and health most guy do! Golf is as high a hill I want to climb now. So they would be more worried that I am going crazy and losing it by going their, then seeing me climb a mountain. That is unless...someone was paying me to do this....which we all understand.

Don't you find it a tad hypocritical that you are passing judgment on my passing judgment (and I wasn't being judgmental, I simply pointed out the deductive logic)? LOL

Yes, let's continue to use my logic . . .

Of all the single (not unmarried but unaccompanied) male foreigners who live in Pattaya and come to Pattaya on holiday, what percentage have *never* been in a bar or with a bar girl (why do you think both of those words need capitalized?)? 10%? 20%? So, basically, the overwhelming majority of people who live or holiday in Pattaya do or have engaged in sex tourism. It doesn't need to be recently. I wouldn't expect that someone who lives in Paris go to the Louvre every day but it's a pretty safe bet that they've been at least once.

So, Pattaya's reputation for sex tourism seems to be well deserved.

On the other hand, of all of the single male foreigners who travel to or live in Cambodia, what percentage go there to molest children? 10%? Even 10% would seem seem absurdly high (the actual number is probably lower than 1% despite what the NGOs say).

So, Cambodia's reputation seems to be entirely situational and underserved.

Or, to put it another way, ask 100 people the first thing that comes to mind if you tell them you're going to Cambodia. The vast majority will say Angkor Wat, the Killing Fields, Snookyville, etc. You might get one or two people who say child prostitution. Ask the same thing about Pattaya and over 80% (probably close to 100%) will say Walking Street and-or beer bars.

But, probably the best piece of logic to throw at you is the fact that while OP never said why he was lying to his friends, you knew exactly why. :-)

Does anybody find it ironic that on a forum where almost nobody uses their real name and where few people ever post photos of themselves because they don't want anybody to know their business, people are arguing that OP should feel no shame in telling people where he's going?

• Like 1

I had an American friend over here for a 6-week holiday.. He went to Pattaya with friends and made the mistake of telling his partner back home. His return ticket (bought with his credit card) was there the next day. He hasn't been allowed to come back since.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What i have noticed is, once you tell folks back home you live in ''Thailand'', 99 percent of there reaction is not positive, and it definetly raises eyebrows.... , and we all know what they are thinking..

Sad it is, but its true...

Thailand has that reputation and i doubt if it will ever shake it off..

It is not true!

The 99% of the people I tell back home consider me very lucky. Don't know what the remainder 1% thinks, nor do I care.

I have never heard one negative response from anyone, including my 83 Year Old Dad. He thought it was a good idea and if he was a few years younger I am sure he would have loved to come along and get away from another cold winter.

• Like 1

Let's use some of your own logic, I have known about Pattaya and the sex industry here probably about the same time you were walking in diapers and saying "Poop-poop Momma". I have in fact lived here many years, where judging from your post you did not. But I cannot remember the last time I have been in a Bar let alone with a Bar Girl. But then to me, most of them are very nice people who I feel no shame being with and always had fun.

I have been to Paris and I have seen the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. Also Amsterdam and the Red Light District while I was there one time. My Friends did not assume I was in a coffee house doing drugs, as they know me well enough to know I don't do drugs. But yes, while their, I did see this. I have seen the Colosseum in Rome. The Pyramids in Egypt. London Bridge. And this list goes on and on. But on a recent trip I also went to Cambodia with my wife, just to see some of that country as it is close to Thailand.

Whether you know this or not, Cambodia is also famous for being a Child Sex Tourist Destination. I Love Kids and would never even dream of hurting anyone of them in such a sick way. But according to you, and perhaps this poster, I should lie about this fact and tell my friends I am going someplace else, just in case they will think of me later as being a Child Molester.

Oh Ya! If I went to Nepal My Friends would not think that I was going Mountain Climbing or Hiking! They know me well enough that I would hate that. At my age and health most guy do! Golf is as high a hill I want to climb now. So they would be more worried that I am going crazy and losing it by going their, then seeing me climb a mountain. That is unless...someone was paying me to do this....which we all understand.

Don't you find it a tad hypocritical that you are passing judgment on my passing judgment (and I wasn't being judgmental, I simply pointed out the deductive logic)? LOL

Of all the single (not unmarried but unaccompanied) male foreigners who live in Pattaya and come to Pattaya on holiday, what percentage have *never* been in a bar or with a bar girl (why do you think both of those words need capitalized?)? 10%? 20%? So, basically, the overwhelming majority of people who live or holiday in Pattaya do or have engaged in sex tourism. It doesn't need to be recently. I wouldn't expect that someone who lives in Paris go to the Louvre every day but it's a pretty safe bet that they've been at least once.

On the other hand, of all of the single male foreigners who travel to or live in Cambodia, what percentage go there to molest children? 10%? Even 10% would seem seem absurdly high (the actual number is probably lower than 1% despite what the NGOs say).

Or, to put it another way, ask 100 people the first thing that comes to mind if you tell them you're going to Cambodia. The vast majority will say Angkor Wat, the Killing Fields, Snookyville, etc. You might get one or two people who say child prostitution. Ask the same thing about Pattaya and over 80% (probably close to 100%) will say Walking Street and-or beer bars.

But, probably the best piece of logic to throw at you is the fact that while OP never said why he was lying to his friends, you knew exactly why. :-)

Okay! Lets just make this simple logic and I am sure one you and probably everyone else, which I hope I am not being too judgemental by saying so, will understand. It came from my Mom, which your mom probably told you the exact same thing when you were a child. It goes like this:

"If you have to lie about what you are doing, then you are probably doing something wrong that you shouldn't be doing"

Understand?

Okay! Lets just make this simple logic and I am sure one you and probably everyone else, which I hope I am not being too judgemental by saying so, will understand. It came from my Mom, which your mom probably told you the exact same thing when you were a child. It goes like this:

"If you have to lie about what you are doing, then you are probably doing something wrong that you shouldn't be doing"

Understand?

Actually, I am not doing something wrong. Just going to Pattaya.

Yes, a euphimism....

Your thoughts / opinions / feedback?

1. That's not how you spell euphemism.

2. Telling people you are going one place instead of where you're actually going is not so much employing a euphemism as it is an attempt at obfuscation. Either way, I doubt the "others" much care ... assuming they exist outside your imagination.

3. When you get your photo in the local newspaper under the heading of "ladyboy hiding under the bed tricks farang," your cover will be blown anyway.

Pretty sure he meant euphemism as to why he was visiting Pattaya...

Yes, a euphimism....

Your thoughts / opinions / feedback?

1. That's not how you spell euphemism.

2. Telling people you are going one place instead of where you're actually going is not so much employing a euphemism as it is an attempt at obfuscation. Either way, I doubt the "others" much care ... assuming they exist outside your imagination.

3. When you get your photo in the local newspaper under the heading of "ladyboy hiding under the bed tricks farang," your cover will be blown anyway.

Heck, I tell my TW and her family and all her cousins that I go to Pattaya to find another girl when she gives me a hard time or argue too much. Of course they know I'm joking but they also know I've been frequent the place before I decided to settle down and look for a normal GF. I still go to Pattaya every once in a while with my wife, sometimes she goes there with her friends while I'm at work too, it doesn't bother me, there are a lot more to do and see in Pattaya beside bars and girls.

Before I met my wife, I've been chatting to some girls on internet, too many are very judgmental and just stopped talking to me after I said I work and live in Thailand, one of the girls was a yankee living in Phuket, been chatting to her for a few hrs or so before she found out I've been to Pattaya. She got visibly upset at me and asked why would a normal guy want to go there, I replied and said what is there in Pattaya that Phuket doesn't have? She stopped talking to me after that, LOL.

I have an American friend who several years ago came over for a couple of months holiday. Made the mistake of telling his partner back home that he had gone to Pattaya with a couple of friends for a few days. He received his return ticket back to the US the next day. All paid for from his account and his credit card. He hasn't been allowed back since.

Now I am not the biggest friend of Pattaya (and I am currently in Pattaya as my partner is here on a business trip and dragged me along), but if I was so worried about telling or not telling people, I would not go. Yes, it is a seedy town in parts, but it is easy enough to stay away from the not so nice parts. During the day, Pattaya is just another seaside resort town and in the evening it has some great restaurants and pubs (had some of the best Indian food ever last night).

• Like 2

I dont blame you, i would never admit to going there.., but to be honest i have been once, and would not set foot in the place again, not my thing, obviously its fine for some folks, but , i could honestly say i would never go back...

Now i better run for cover, as i can feel the backlash about to start...

I to have been there once but the first time (as I didn't do the research, just took the word of a friend) I pre-paid booked a week. After just an hour or so, I was disgusted with the place, the absolute entire city or better called Hong-nam.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Last time I was in the UK I had the same reaction twice. On both occasions I was talking to females in their early 40's. As soon as they found out I lived in Thailand their attitude changed, and I hadn't even mentioned Pattaya. They both went on about ALL Thai women being prostitutes. The first time I tried to patiently explain the general conservative nature of Thai women, modesty etc. I might as well have told her I was a child molestor. The second time I just excused myself and moved away.

Like many Pattaya haters on this forum they would not change their viewpoint however much evidence is put before them. Pattaya just ellicits strong responses, usually from people who don't live there.

Whatever. Call me what you like. This is where I live. If you feel better by calling it Hua Hin so be it. Just remember what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.