Expensive helmet necessary for slow riding?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to justify spending 20,000 baht on a helmet just for riding around on a one month holiday.......

I think 7,000 will get a decent helmet, but I agree it is frustrating to justify. Statistically of course you have more of a chance of having an accident the more you ride, but that doesn't mean that you will not have a devastating accident within 5 minutes of getting on a bike on the very first day. Also where do you stop ? Without boots you could tear a foot off. Spine protector, does what it says. Gloves, broken hands are no fun, armored jacket? Armored jeans/trousers ? You would look crazy on a scooter with all that but a 80 kph crash can make you as dead as a 180 kph one. And no I am not suggesting for one moment you get all that gear, but do get a decent full face helmet.

What kind of bike will you be on ? A scooter or real bike ?

SDM

Just a rented scooter. In the past I've ridden around in flip flops which is really stupid so I'll definitely invest in some decent footwear. I won't be travelling anywhere near 80 kph, just 40 kph to get me from one beach to the next, or to Tesco and back.

Difficult to justify spending 20,000 baht on a helmet just for riding around on a one month holiday.......

I think 7,000 will get a decent helmet, but I agree it is frustrating to justify. Statistically of course you have more of a chance of having an accident the more you ride, but that doesn't mean that you will not have a devastating accident within 5 minutes of getting on a bike on the very first day. Also where do you stop ? Without boots you could tear a foot off. Spine protector, does what it says. Gloves, broken hands are no fun, armored jacket? Armored jeans/trousers ? You would look crazy on a scooter with all that but a 80 kph crash can make you as dead as a 180 kph one. And no I am not suggesting for one moment you get all that gear, but do get a decent full face helmet.

What kind of bike will you be on ? A scooter or real bike ?

SDM

Just a rented scooter. In the past I've ridden around in flip flops which is really stupid so I'll definitely invest in some decent footwear. I won't be travelling anywhere near 80 kph, just 40 kph to get me from one beach to the next, or to Tesco and back.

It might be stupid, but we all do it. If I'm just popping down to 7/11, or anywhere less then a couple of kilometres my normal attire is a t-shirt, shorts, pair of Crocs Flip Flops. I don't go above 70 kph because I can't see with the wind, and that's on my Ninja 650. However if I go "off island" I normally look like something out of Robocop because on the empty roads we do get a bit silly.

SDM

PS. Don't tell anyone.

^

The reason many of us can post knowledgeably in regards to quality full-face helmets is that we actually own and use them.

Your points re: the negative effects on sound and vision are absolutely incorrect- I did in fact post a link to statistics regarding these very issues earlier in this thread.

A certified helmet must have a minimum field-of-vision (which goes beyond adequate) and wind-shear is way more detrimental to hearing than a helmet ever could be (it's a good idea to ride with earplugs regardless of helmet type).

Your step-sons' 'full-face racing helmet' was most likely crap if you had the experience you claim.

The reason many of us can post knowledgeably in regards to quality full-face helmets is that we actually own and use them.

Agree with this..i tried one once and swore that if i ever had to wear one again, i'd give up riding bikes...so i can not debate the pro's and cons of such devices.

Thankfully i never ever did wear one again and continued riding ..open face helmet when i had to and sans helmet whenever/wherever i could ..

This was and still is my choice...

Each to their own, and good luck to you.

I will never wear an open face helmet after a crash I had about 30 years ago when I hit a dog after it ran out of an alley way, went over the bars and face planted the road.

Remember seeing the tarmac flashing by my eyes.

If I had been wearing an open face, I would also have had an open face (no mouth left).

I was riding at about 25mph on a 50cc Suzuki.

When I ride my scooters around Pattaya I only wear an open helmet and whatever I am wearing of clothing that day.

I hate flip-flops and don't own any so I normally wear trainers or sailor shoes.

Big bike, yes a proper jacket/gloves and boots and so on but I don't have a big bike at the movement so my gear is collecting dust.

^

Your points re: the negative effects on sound and vision are absolutely incorrect- I did in fact post a link to statistics regarding these very issues earlier in this thread.

A certified helmet must have a minimum field-of-vision (which goes beyond adequate) and wind-shear is way more detrimental to hearing than a helmet ever could be (it's a good idea to ride with earplugs regardless of helmet type).

Your step-sons' 'full-face racing helmet' was most likely crap if you had the experience you claim.

Agree with this..i tried one once and swore that if i ever had to wear one again, i'd give up riding bikes...so i can not debate the pro's and cons of such devices.

Thankfully i never ever did wear one again and continued riding ..open face helmet when i had to and sans helmet whenever/wherever i could ..

'I tried one once' does not equal the ability to post knowledgeably on the subject, so it's difficult to give your opinion any credence (personally, I'd give up riding if I had to ride without a helmet).

I really don't care what you wear, and I agree it's your choice- I'm responding to the usual misinformation that is so sadly prevalent on this forum- I can debate the pros and cons, hence my post.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Thankfully i never ever did wear one again and continued riding ..open face helmet when i had to and sans helmet whenever/wherever i could ....

When I first starting wearing full face helmets I felt very claustrophobic, and I also felt that my field of vision was limited. But my reality is that although obviously I don't have the same field of vision as with nothing at all, I have what I need. The other reason is that above 70 kph I can't see with the wind in my eyes. I suppose the acid test is how much you like having a face. I'm not pretty, but I quite like having one. The thought of sliding down the tarmac on my face persuaded me a long time ago to only use full face. I must admit though it is nice riding with nothing, and stupid too.

SDM

• Like 1

Thankfully i never ever did wear one again and continued riding ..open face helmet when i had to and sans helmet whenever/wherever i could ....

When I first starting wearing full face helmets I felt very claustrophobic, and I also felt that my field of vision was limited. But my reality is that although obviously I don't have the same field of vision as with nothing at all, I have what I need. The other reason is that above 70 kph I can't see with the wind in my eyes. I suppose the acid test is how much you like having a face. I'm not pretty, but I quite like having one. The thought of sliding down the tarmac on my face persuaded me a long time ago to only use full face. I must admit though it is nice riding with nothing, and stupid too.

SDM

I felt very claustrophobic, and I also felt that my field of vision was limited

I agree and also found that i didn;t have anywhere near as much 'aural awareness' which is almost as neccessary IMO as visual awareness.and sense of smell..[eg often can smell spilt oil/fuel on the road before you get to it]

A huge reduction in peripheral vision was also found..

You need all god given abilities working in your favour to be fully 'situationally aware' each and every time you ride a bike.

PS.... good fitting sunglasses solve all wind in the eyes problems for me at least...

'I tried one once' does not equal the ability to post knowledgeably on the subject, so it's difficult to give your opinion any respect or credence.

I really don't care what you wear, and I agree it's your choice- I'm responding to the usual misinformation that is so sadly prevalent on this forum.

Well RSD, there are many small bike/scooter riders here and you should know too that many retired people come over to Thailand and perhaps buy

their 1st motorbike/scooter here thus don't know much about the subject and likely limited interest in bikes in general and only consider them as a

way of getting from A to B.

I think that is fine and there should be room here for everybody, right?

I sure a 1Lit dude like you are in some other forums where you can discuss your super bikes in great detail and that's fine too.

'I tried one once' does not equal the ability to post knowledgeably on the subject, so it's difficult to give your opinion any respect or credence.

I really don't care what you wear, and I agree it's your choice- I'm responding to the usual misinformation that is so sadly prevalent on this forum.

Well RSD, there are many small bike/scooter riders here and you should know too that many retired people come over to Thailand and perhaps buy

their 1st motorbike/scooter here thus don't know much about the subject and likely limited interest in bikes in general and only consider them as a

way of getting from A to B.

I think that is fine and there should be room here for everybody, right?

I sure a 1Lit dude like you are in some other forums where you can discuss your super bikes in great detail and that's fine too.

Actually, there are a few knowledgeable posters right here on this forum with whom I can discuss super-bikes, if that's OK with you...

Of course there's room for everybody, but if you're going to post incorrect information (when the correct info is easily available if you're willing to do your due diligence) on a subject as important as safety gear, you shouldn't expect flowers and sunshine in the posts refuting it.

^

'I tried one once' does not equal the ability to post knowledgeably on the subject, so it's difficult to give your opinion any credence (personally, I'd give up riding if I had to ride without a helmet).

I really don't care what you wear, and I agree it's your choice- I'm responding to the usual misinformation that is so sadly prevalent on this forum- I can debate the pros and cons, hence my post.

Ahmm.i said i tried one once..and so i agree with you..as i said..'[again'] so i can not debate the pro's and cons of such devices but i can tell you MY experience of them..OK?

Also glad that you have the ability to decide not to ride without a helmet very sensible if you don't like that idea.. ..cool thats your choice as is your choice to wear a full face helmet on your head and yes you can try to force your POV debate the issue, but dont try and make out that those that choose to wear basics are unopinionated fools..wai.gif

We are all different and make different life choices and others must accept that.

Edited by andreandre

Actually, there are a few knowledgeable posters right here on this forum with whom I can discuss super-bikes, if that's OK with you...

Of course there's room for everybody, but if you're going to post incorrect information (when the correct info is easily available if you're willing to do your due diligence) on a subject as important as safety gear, you shouldn't expect flowers and sunshine in the posts refuting it.

Off-course it's okay, that's the whole point with a forum my man.

I been getting a lot of good info here over the years and sometimes bullshit talk, lol.

Thankfully I been riding bikes on and off for over 30 years so know which is or isen't.

• Like 1

^^

Says the guy who thinks all he needs are his 'god-given abilities' to be safe on the road...

I have never met a really good rider who would be willing to ride without a helmet or decent gear (in any street-riding scenario)- I very much doubt that opinion would change were I ever to meet you, as you prefer to ride without a helmet, and gearing up properly is an integral part of being a good rider.

There's almost no loss of peripheral vision in a current, certified helmet, btw- certainly not to the point where the added safety benefits are compromised (as per the NTSB tests I linked earlier).

Edited by RubberSideDown

Off-course it's okay, that's the whole point with a forum my man.

I been getting a lot of good info here over the years and sometimes bullshit talk, lol.

Thankfully I been riding bikes on and off for over 30 years so know which is or isen't.

There are some subjects that aren't worthy of 'bullshit talk', especially in LOS- I think staying safe on the road is the most important one.

Many subjects ('the best bike' or 'the perfect road') are fine for BS'ing, but the efficacy of a decent lid (and other gear) is something else, especially when (as you pointed out) new riders are concerned- I've seen too much unnecessary carnage here (we all have) and I'd be happy seeing a bit less of it.

Edited by RubberSideDown

^^

Says the guy who thinks all he needs are his 'god-given abilities' to be safe on the road...

I have never met a really good rider who would be willing to ride without a helmet or decent gear- I very much doubt that opinion would change were I ever to meet you.

There's almost no loss of peripheral vision in a current, certified helmet, btw- certainly not to the point where the added safety benefits are compromised (as per the NTSB tests I linked earlier).

Calm down and re-read slowly what i said..here again..You need all god given abilities working in your favour to be fully 'situationally aware' each and every time you ride a bike.

No where did i say as you suggest.. who thinks all he needs are his 'god-given abilities' to be safe on the road..rolleyes.gif

Huge difference huh?..if you cant have a discussion without insulting people or twisting other posters words, you should desist posting

^^

I have never met a really good rider who would be willing to ride without a helmet or decent gear- I very much doubt that opinion would change were I ever to meet you.

Calm down and re-read slowly what i said..here again..You need all god given abilities working in your favour to be fully 'situationally aware' each and every time you ride a bike.

No where did i say as you suggest.. who thinks all he needs are his 'god-given abilities' to be safe on the road..rolleyes.gif

Huge difference huh?..if you cant have a discussion without insulting people or twisting other posters words, you should desist posting

Not really, as you said you prefer to ride without a helmet in an earlier post- if you're not using gear, you're relying solely on your skills as your means of protection, and there are situations where even the most skillful rider will hit the pavement, and will have to rely on his safety equipment rather than his 'god-given abilities'.

See- I have been reading your posts- I guess I won't have to 'desist posting' now- whew!

I do think this topic had devolved into 'beating a dead horse', though... I'll continue to attempt to reduce my exposure to serious injury or death while engaging in what is inherently a dangerous activity in the best of circumstances (let alone in one of the most hazardous countries on Earth to ride)- good luck to those who prefer to play the longer odds.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

^

You are posting "knowledgeably" on one half of the argument, as you don't use an open faced helmet in order to make a comparison.

No one is suggesting that you are riding totally blind or completely deaf in an full face helmet and they may meet a minimum requirement in both respects. But, IMO a "minimum requirement" doesn't cut it in the busy streets with a surprise hiding around every corner, or behind you.

What are you talking about "wind shear" this guy is doing 25mph (or less) in the town, have you actually read the topic?

So you think it is a good idea to be totally deaf in the busy streets. well good luck mate? 2 million young girls on mobile phones, all agree with you.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

^^

Not really, as you said you prefer to ride without a helmet in an earlier post- if you're not using gear, you're relying solely on your skills as your means of protection, and there are situations where even the most skillful rider will hit the pavement, and will have to rely on his safety equipment rather than his 'god-given abilities'.

See- I have been reading your posts- I guess I won't have to 'desist posting' now- whew!

OK..laugh.png obviously comprehension is not your strong point..thats alright i'll write this slowly so that maybe you can get it.

The point i made ,as you well know, was referring specifically to why I choose not to wear a full face helmet,,,because..[again]You need all god given abilities working in your favour to be fully 'situationally aware' each and every time you ride a bike. and i didn't feel that they were/are..just my opinion

These being [as i said alreadysmile.png ] full vision,full hearing ability and being able to smell the surroundings..Yes?

Many other skills are, of course involved and yes ,even the most skilful of riders is not immune from taking a fall....

Trust you got it this time..

EDIT>>As you said.

.I do think this topic had devolved into 'beating a dead horse', though... I'll continue to attempt to reduce my exposure to serious injury or death while engaging in what is inherently a dangerous activity in the best of circumstances (let alone in one of the most hazardous countries on Earth to ride)- good luck to those who prefer to play the longer odds.wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

I agree and no matter if i do it my way[as i have done for a loooong time] or do it your 'wrapped-in-cottonwool' approach" it is all about enjoying the treat that only motorcycles can give..we all have to recognise our own limits and ride within our own limits and hope to have a little luck now and again to go with your abilities and make the most of every ride.

Edited by andreandre

^

I don't have to make those who choose to ride without helmets look like fools- they do that themselves.

You are coming across as a bit of a 'lecturer' though. You choose to ride a very fast bike in all the gear, others choose to cruise along at 40kph in jeans and a t-shirt. Personal choice.

FWIW I'm closer to you than 'them' in that I also ride a fairly quick bike and I wear decent gear, but if that cement truck u-turns in front of me at the last minute while I'm riding at high speed I'll be splattered across the road no matter what I am wearing. Unless you ride your 200hp bike close to the speed limit (which I doubt) then it might be a good idea to accept that you are taking a similar risk riding at high speed in your top of the range gear as the scooter rider in a cheap helmet riding to 711 at 40 kph.

• Like 1

^

You are posting "knowledgeably" on one half of the argument, as you don't use an open faced helmet in order to make a comparison.

No one is suggesting that you are riding totally blind or completely deaf in an full face helmet and they may meet a minimum requirement in both respects. But, IMO a "minimum requirement" doesn't cut it in the busy streets with a surprise hiding around every corner, or behind you.

What are you talking about "wind shear" this guy is doing 25mph (or less) in the town, have you actually read the topic?

So you think it is a good idea to be totally deaf in the busy streets. well good luck mate? 2 million young girls on mobile phones, all agree with you.

I've worn other styles of helmet- I don't wear one now as I feel the 35% chance of a hit to the jaw isn't worth it.

Wind-shear can affect your hearing at 25mph- earplugs don't make you 'deaf', but can cut out the wind-noise to the point where they work to your benefit.

The 'minimum requirement' is more than adequate to give a full field of vision while offering way more protection.

Have you ever done any research into what highly-regarding riding instructors suggest, Allan? There's a lot of info on the net that actually worth a look, and it could make you a better and safer rider- I realize you have little practical experience (though that doesn't stop you from offering advice), but at least you'd post with sone basis in fact rather than conjecture.

^^

OK..laugh.png obviously comprehension is not your strong point..thats alright i'll write this slowly so that maybe you can get it.

The point i made ,as you well know, was referring specifically to why I choose not to wear a full face helmet,,,because..[again]You need all god given abilities working in your favour to be fully 'situationally aware' each and every time you ride a bike. and i didn't feel that they were/are..just my opinion

These being [as i said alreadysmile.png ] full vision,full hearing ability and being able to smell the surroundings..Yes?

Many other skills are, of course involved and yes ,even the most skilful of riders is not immune from taking a fall....

Trust you got it this time..

EDIT>>As you said.

.I do think this topic had devolved into 'beating a dead horse', though... I'll continue to attempt to reduce my exposure to serious injury or death while engaging in what is inherently a dangerous activity in the best of circumstances (let alone in one of the most hazardous countries on Earth to ride)- good luck to those who prefer to play the longer odds.wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

I agree and no matter if i do it my way[as i have done for a loooong time] or do it your 'wrapped-in-cottonwool' approach" it is all about enjoying the treat that only motorcycles can give..we all have to recognise our own limits and ride within our own limits and hope to have a little luck now and again to go with your abilities and make the most of every ride.

Thanks for writing slowly (though I would imagine that's your usual speed...)

You said you choose not to wear a helmet whenever possible, so you have to rely on something other than gear for your safety.

It's your choice- it's a foolish one, but whatever- if it worked for you in the past, it will always work, right...?

I 'get' it- as I said, I don't care what you do- if there are impressionable newbs looking for info, though, it would be a shame if they followed your example.

• Like 2

^

I don't have to make those who choose to ride without helmets look like fools- they do that themselves.

You are coming across as a bit of a 'lecturer' though. You choose to ride a very fast bike in all the gear, others choose to cruise along at 40kph in jeans and a t-shirt. Personal choice.

FWIW I'm closer to you than 'them' in that I also ride a fairly quick bike and I wear decent gear, but if that cement truck u-turns in front of me at the last minute while I'm riding at high speed I'll be splattered across the road no matter what I am wearing. Unless you ride your 200hp bike close to the speed limit (which I doubt) then it might be a good idea to accept that you are taking a similar risk riding at high speed in your top of the range gear as the scooter rider in a cheap helmet riding to 711 at 40 kph.

Nothing is 100% effective- I already acknowledged that I take a risk by riding, but I choose not to compound that risk by not gearing-up.

Yes, I have a fast bike, but I would wear the same gear on any 'big bike'.

Sorry if you feel you're being 'lectured'- I'm arguing my point.

Note that the worst crash I ever had (as far as injury was concerned) was on a scooter at about 40kph- I wasn't properly geared-up, and I paid the price- I'd like to see someone else avoid what I went through.

I would have "probably" been left without a jaw bone at age 17 if I had not been wearing a full face.

Haven't even entertained the idea of wearing an open face helmet since that experience.

Everyone has a choice though, it's entirely up to the individual - there is no rule. Life is full of risks.

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

The biggest risk I have noticed from step thru riders in Thailand and here in Malaysia is the complete disregard for their own safety with regards to road traffic awareness.

Hardly ever see a rider cover their blind spot before to change direction, as well simply to look into oncoming traffic when joining/crossing, a road or main road.

Then comes the poor excuses of helmets, flip flops, no gloves, shorts and T shirt, mobile phones, etc.

Most big bike riders I see are usually geared up and more road traffic aware, than the step thru (majority) riders.

• Like 1