Don't return Uighurs to China, US urges

Lite Beer

Don't return Uighurs to China, US urges
The Sunday Nation

30229327-01_big.gif

Muslim asylum seekers, believed to be from the Uighur minority from China, sit in a police truck transporting them to a temporary shelter yesterday after being detained by immigration police in Songkhla.

SONGKHLA: -- The United States has urged Thailand to protect the 218 asylum seekers from China's Uighur minority, with activists fearing that Beijing will pressure the Kingdom to deport them.

"We are urging the Thai government to provide full protection to the victims [and] to ensure that their humanitarian needs are met," State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said.

Meanwhile, authorities in Songkhla will take action in the provincial court against the asylum seekers for illegal entry to the country, local immigration chief Police Maj-General Tatchai Pitaneelabut said yesterday.

The group consists of 218 people - as many as 95 of them children, according to the authorities. Of the adults, 69 are men and 54 women. Some of the women are pregnant.

The asylum seekers, who appeared to be preparing to head elsewhere, presented themselves as Turks rather than Uighurs, a Turkic-speaking and mainly Muslim group from China's northwestern Xinjiang region.

The latest annual US human rights report said that China carried out "severe official repression" of Uighurs in Xinjiang, including over their freedom of speech and religion.

Xinjiang has been hit by periodic bouts of violence, and Chinese officials blamed Uighur separatists for a March 1 mass stabbing at a train station in the southwestern city of Kunming that killed 29 people and injured 143 others.

Under pressure from Beijing, countries including Cambodia, Malaysia and Pakistan have all in recent years forcibly returned Uighurs to China.

Thailand has a generally cordial relationship with China.

The UN refugee agency criticised Malaysia for its deportation of six Uighurs to China in December, saying that they were sent back to a country where they were at risk even though the group had registered asylum claims.

Human Rights Watch noted that Thailand is part of the UN Convention against Torture, which forbids countries from sending people to places where they would face abuse.

The New York-based advocacy group said that the Uighurs in Thailand faced "credible threats of torture" if returned to China.

Human Rights Watch asked the Thai government to ensure that the Uighurs are not forcibly returned to China and have urgent access to refugee status determination by the United Nations refugee agency.

Human Rights Watch's Asia executive director Brad Adams said Thai authorities "need to allow all members of this group access to a fair process to determine their claims based on their merits, not on Beijing's demands".

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-16

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Turkey has agreed to take them after their claims have been verified - then let them go there soon. Thailand should stand up for human rights and not be dictated to by China. Unfortunately the record on human rights is not good - as the refugee camps on the Myanmar border would indicate. Whatever happened to compassion ?

Dictated to by China ? I think you misread the article. The US is doing the dictating as usual. Not China. It is a matter for the Thais, the Chinese and UNHCR.

• Like 2

What is Thailand going to do with them? If the U.S is so concerned then send a plane over to pick them up and take to the U.S to live. If they are not prepared to do that then they should keep their noses out of it and let Thailand decide what to do.

These people were trafficked into Thailand & it is often reported that Thais are involved. In another report it was mentioned that the traffickers (in collaboration with corrupt Thais?) were demanding an additional US$20k for each person to have their doco returned so they could be moved into Malaysia.

Thailand has constantly committed to reducing human trafficking, but appears to have little success. It is Thailands' ownership to work with relevant international organisations. This is a good opportunity to demonstrate Thai understanding of human rights issues & not be downgraded to Tier Three watchlist in a few months time.

Turkey has already stated that if proven to be Uighurs they will accept them.

You use the term trafficked to imply they were forced in some way and that it's not their fault they are here. They paid somebody to get here. I'm sure they would be better off in Turkey the Thais sure don't want or need them. Send them to Turkey or better back so as not to encourage the 'traffiking'

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

They paid somebody to get here. I'm sure they would be better off in Turkey the Thais sure don't want or need them. Send them to Turkey or better back so as not to encourage the 'traffiking'

And I suppose you'd send North Korean refugees back to NK, just to teach 'em a lesson and keep more of them from trying to escape?

Send them to Turkey, sure. That's where they claimed to be from, and most likely their destination. And Turkey has indicated they'll be accepted there.

These people did not set out to come to Thailand- it was just a waypoint for them, and we don't even know if they realized they'd be setting foot in Thailand. They set out to go somewhere they are welcome, and they're only stuck in Thailand to extort more money from them before they're allowed to move on.

That's trafficking human beings for profit- along with extortion and kidnapping.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

What is Thailand going to do with them? If the U.S is so concerned then send a plane over to pick them up and take to the U.S to live. If they are not prepared to do that then they should keep their noses out of it and let Thailand decide what to do.

These people were trafficked into Thailand & it is often reported that Thais are involved. In another report it was mentioned that the traffickers (in collaboration with corrupt Thais?) were demanding an additional US$20k for each person to have their doco returned so they could be moved into Malaysia.

Thailand has constantly committed to reducing human trafficking, but appears to have little success. It is Thailands' ownership to work with relevant international organisations. This is a good opportunity to demonstrate Thai understanding of human rights issues & not be downgraded to Tier Three watchlist in a few months time.

Turkey has already stated that if proven to be Uighurs they will accept them.

You use the term trafficked to imply they were forced in some way and that it's not their fault they are here. They paid somebody to get here. I'm sure they would be better off in Turkey the Thais sure don't want or need them. Send them to Turkey or better back so as not to encourage the 'traffiking'

No, not inferring that at all. They paid people smugglers who are sometimes also referred to as traffickers. i see the rest of your post has already been rebutted

Edited by simple1

The answer is simple, either ship them on to Malaysia where they want to go or to the USA. If both governments decline

then its back to China. Thailand is not a signatory of the UN charter on refugees. Up to Malaysia and the US.

• Like 2

The answer is simple, either ship them on to Malaysia where they want to go or to the USA. If both governments decline

then its back to China. Thailand is not a signatory of the UN charter on refugees. Up to Malaysia and the US.

Which is exactly what the Chinese despots would want. Good to see they have their lackeys on Thai visa.

• Like 1

Why don't the US take them then ?

Turkey has indicated a willingness to take these Turkic speaking refugees. Makes more sense than sending them to English speaking country.

But I doubt any type of pressure on Thailand from Turkey would be sufficient to over ride the pressure from China to send them back, so it makes absolute sense that the US is exerting pressure. I'm proud to hear it.

And make no mistake. Regardless of what we read about or don't read about, many millions of US dollars will be spent in an attempt to get these refugees relocated where they won't be subject to punitive measures.

The real question is, where are all the other countries that hold themselves out as beacons of democracy and all that's good in the world?

Would be interesting to know the other countries that hold themselves beacons of democracy? Only heard about two. North Korea and the other country where 21-23% of adults are not able to locate information in text.

now, now. It was just a suggestion. Nobody is going to twist their arm.

If the yank or UN feel strongly about it, they should take these misplaced people to US. Thailand is overcrowded as it is. And anyone in their right mind should find themselves another Kingdom to live in if they want to have a nice and quiet live.

Thailand is as overcrowded as it is...interesting concept, though I suspect Thai visa keyboard warriors will feel themselves exempted to that!

• Like 1

Send 'em to Turkey or Malaysia. I'm sure Muslims would feel better among their own kind.

Turkey offered to take them. OK, let's get it done.

Anyone who wants them returned to China is ignorant of the history of that part of the world.

China has systematically marginalized the Uighurs in their own country.

The knife attacks in Kunming, this refugee episode...these are the results of China's master plan

for Xingiang. You can bet there are more incidents to come.

These people wish to go to a Muslim country , I feel very uncomfortable with these women dressed in black from head to toe. Correct me if I am wrong; but this type of extreme religion does not fit well within the Thai nation. The last thing we want here is a group of Wahhabi Muslims- its bad enough in the deep south as it is- Sharia law anybody? ?

What on earth are they doing here?

Of all nations- Thailand looks after its own people- they should be sent back ASAP-

• Like 1

These people wish to go to a Muslim country , I feel very uncomfortable with these women dressed in black from head to toe. Correct me if I am wrong; but this type of extreme religion does not fit well within the Thai nation. The last thing we want here is a group of Wahhabi Muslims- its bad enough in the deep south as it is- Sharia law anybody? ?

Of all nations- Thailand looks after its own people- they should be sent back ASAP-

I think they were en route to a 'muslim country', and the lady closest to the camera in the photo is wearing a rather pretty pink\orange costume....coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those who are Turkic-speaking and Muslim why can't the Thai government contact the Turkey embassy about offering those people assylum. Perhaps Malaysia and Indoneasia may also offer assylum.

If the yank or UN feel strongly about it, they should take these misplaced people to US. Thailand is overcrowded as it is. And anyone in their right mind should find themselves another Kingdom to live in if they want to have a nice and quiet live.

Yah and after shipping them to the USA to make Thailand even less crowded why not ship some useless old men back to "United Kingdom" perhaps. There are thousands here. Right on TVF always saying how democratic "home" is.

• Like 2

They paid somebody to get here. I'm sure they would be better off in Turkey the Thais sure don't want or need them. Send them to Turkey or better back so as not to encourage the 'traffiking'

And I suppose you'd send North Korean refugees back to NK, just to teach 'em a lesson and keep more of them from trying to escape?

No they would go to S Korea no reason to go anywhere else, but they are an extreme case. Most of these people are just using 'asylum' to get around the need for a visa, they are economic migrants, not persecuted minorities as they make out

I think that is what they are trying to do! whistling.gif

And who are you to be saying 'the last thing we want here'. I feel very uncomfortable with farangs I pass in the supermarket who avoid eye contact at all costs as they go about their secretive lives of hiding from their Governments for whatever reason they have. I feel uncomfortable going for a drink and listening to middle aged unqualified 'English teachers' talking to each other at the next table of how they love the short skirts on the 15 year olds in their charge. The last thing we want here is the bigotry and NIMBY attitudes many of us were happy to escape. In fact there are a lot of things I feel uncomfortable about but you know what, it's non of my business.

So, send them all back Peter so you can carry on in your own little world, but when you have your next beer and are enjoying the attentions of your 18 year old 'soul mate', spare a thought for the 95 children whose parents will already have been executed or sent to gulags, and indeed the 95 children who will be raised and live their entire lives in another gulag separated from their parents. This is all real proof of Darwinism over Creationism, a God would not allow such despicable people that have a clear hatred for their fellow humanity but evolution allows all the misfits you can imagine.

The US are now testing where Thailand's loyalties are after all the mouth music, but it is a forgone conclusion so rest easy Peter. Ulghurs-G2G rice deal, Ulghurs-G2G rice deal.........I guess China gets it's rice.............and it's pesky Ulghurs.

No they would go to S Korea no reason to go anywhere else, but they are an extreme case. Most of these people are just using 'asylum' to get around the need for a visa, they are economic migrants, not persecuted minorities as they make out

Better read up a little. I suggest you Google Uighur or Uyghur and see where it takes you.

Edited by impulse