Raging Phuket black market passport trade

Lite Beer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has any of the "NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT" brigade EVER been to thailand? if you have then you must have your own transport because the bike renters take passports as a way of security against the renter deciding to ride off to the next destination, which happened a few times in the past and like most things in thailand got told as fokelore to every other bike renter across the kingdom.

their way of thinking is "he cannot leave thailand if no have passport", and its not too difficult to suss this out. if the bike goes missing they make a few phonecalls. you just ask a few bike renters why they take passports and they will usually come out wth that answer.

"this my passport, you cant take it"........

"ok mister, this my bike, you cant take it."......

So your one of the daft ones rolleyes.gif . Any rental company should PAY for insurance to cover ANY eventuality and pass the cost on to the renter ....YES or NO..........??????????????

Really is so simple, ISN'T IT.................????????????????

Same as any country that has rental businesses. Why should LOS be any different.......??????????

• Like 1

There are many reasons why they want your passport.

The main reason being they hold you hostage to them until you pay for the "damage" that you caused to their bike/Jet ski/car/etc.

They know full well you are not in a position to challenge them as time is for sure on their side....as are the thugs in brown,.

I have rented cars for many years with no issues...touch wood!!!

Edited by harleyclarkey

has any of the "NEVER LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT" brigade EVER been to thailand? if you have then you must have your own transport because the bike renters take passports as a way of security against the renter deciding to ride off to the next destination, which happened a few times in the past and like most things in thailand got told as fokelore to every other bike renter across the kingdom.

their way of thinking is "he cannot leave thailand if no have passport", and its not too difficult to suss this out. if the bike goes missing they make a few phonecalls. you just ask a few bike renters why they take passports and they will usually come out wth that answer.

So your one of the daft ones rolleyes.gif . Any rental company should PAY for insurance to cover ANY eventuality and pass the cost on to the renter ....YES or NO..........??????????????

Really is so simple, ISN'T IT.................????????????????

Same as any country that has rental businesses. Why should LOS be any different.......??????????

Maybe because most that rent the bike do not have the driving licence for it and thus it is not covered by any insurance , same as driving drunk

Maybe, if we all email the constitution to eachother , the NSA will finally read it

No license no bike, NO credit card backup, no bike, simple. Rent shop must have insurance. Yes/No.......?

Money, Money. LOS folk in the rent industry must fall into line or bail out...........

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

Business, insurance, insurance, insurance. Yeh,can have a few K up front for minor stuff, but insurance MUST be made mandatory for these rent shops. BUT, as we know this place is crap regarding anything, cos nobody knows what they are doing, just the way it is, those in control are first thinking about their pocket. To be sure the place is the laughing stock of the planet.

The insurance companies don't want that business, the premiums would never be handed over to them except where an accident had occurred and somebody needed to claim.

You're right, they don't want that business because it is a too bad risk, premium would approximately be 33-50% of the bike value. That percentage is an estimate based on the present premiums for first class insurance for big bikes here and the premiums for small motorbike insurance back home.

The insurance companies don't want that business, the premiums would never be handed over to them except where an accident had occurred and somebody needed to claim.

You're right, they don't want that business because it is a too bad risk, premium would approximately be 33-50% of the bike value. That percentage is an estimate based on the present premiums for first class insurance for big bikes here and the premiums for small motorbike insurance back home.

So ?,.....farang want, he pay...............NO PASSPORT LOST.............thumbsup.gif

What they do with Thai folk is up to them, easy really...............coffee1.gif

Usually when a farang is short of money they will sell their passport. THB 20,000 is the going rate I believe.

"Usually"? I've never heard of that happening, and it would take a total idiot to sell their passport. Not that there's a shortage of idiots.

So ?,.....farang want, he pay...............NO PASSPORT LOST.............thumbsup.gif

What they do with Thai folk is up to them, easy really...............coffee1.gif

What are you suggesting, motorbike compulsory insurance or compulsory motorbike insurance for rent to foreigners?

What are you suggesting, motorbike compulsory insurance or compulsory motorbike insurance for rent to foreigners?

Anything, as long has nooooooooooooo farang hands over a passport. IT IS SO easy, l cannot believe nobody understands. If a farang flies half way round the world and wants a m/bike, do you think he is really worried about paying insurance..........rolleyes.gif

Anything, as long has nooooooooooooo farang hands over a passport. IT IS SO easy, l cannot believe nobody understands. If a farang flies half way round the world and wants a m/bike, do you think he is really worried about paying insurance..........rolleyes.gif

First of all, your skin colour is wrong, a lot of the motorbikes are rented to Chinese.

Second of all, yes, many of them would not want to pay for insurance, because after all they don't have accidents, these only happen to others.

Thirdly, insurance companies would not like this risk, especially not if it is not compulsory, because that would open to door to anti-selection (only the people with the greatest risk will want the insurance).

There are other, much more practical solutions, suggested earlier. Have a look at those.

Whenever I go somewhere I rent my transport, either bike or car. And I never had to leave my passport behind to rent.

Same here

I had some <removed>clown bike rental guy push me to hand over my passport in Phuket. I had a copy of it ready and I showed him the original. He accepted the copy. I would never in a million years hand over my passport to anybody.

I had some <removed>clown bike rental guy push me to hand over my passport in Phuket. I had a copy of it ready and I showed him the original. He accepted the copy. I would never in a million years hand over my passport to anybody.

Some people are stupid though