Raging Phuket black market passport trade

Lite Beer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple law states , you got to have driving licence valid in thailand to drive a car or motorbike,

If vehicle operated by someone with DL then the vehicle can be insured

So if the BIB get of their ass and start working on giving big fines on rental shops that rent out bikes to people without DL

Would quickly solve the problem

Just my 2 satang

Booming busines in pushbike rentals

Phuket Opinion: Preventing passport malpractice

Phuket Gazette -

1_201431411408742_FIRZhvaLvAdjnWpiUCLkmI

Foreigners should be wary of rental operators who might monkey around with passports. Photo: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: The revelation that two passengers aboard the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 were travelling on passports stolen in Phuket (story here) once again highlights the need for a serious and sustained crackdown on the use of travel documents as collateral on motorbike, car, and jet-ski rentals.

The need to end this ridiculous practice has already been the subject of much futile editorializing in this space. It is also one of the most consistent complaints during the equally futile meetings of Phuket’s honorary consuls with the ever-shifting brigade of government leaders on the island.

A much overlooked aspect of the widespread use of passports as collateral on financial transactions is the fact that it is, and always has been, an illegal practice.

While these documents are borne by the individuals in whose names they are issued, they nevertheless remain the legal property of the government that issues them, which can demand their return at any time.

These facts are clearly stated on passports issued by every country, at least that we are aware of, along with reference to statutes that indicate how and when they can be legally used. We are not aware of a single country that allows these documents to be used as collateral.

However, those tasked with the enforcement of passport law in Thailand, the police, are generally unaware of its existence. Even worse, many low-ranking officers are actively engaged in the tourist-oriented vehicle rental business, either directly or indirectly, as a sideline to boost their own meager official salaries.

Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been reported as recording some 60,000 passports – both Thai and foreign – as missing or stolen in the 18 months from January 2012 to June 2013.

Even taking into consideration the massive scale of the Thai tourism industry, this remains a truly staggering figure; one which might be significantly reduced if the practice of using passports as collateral could be ended.

Sadly, the fact that those tasked with upholding these laws are among those most actively engaged in breaking them does not bode well for any real change in the status quo in the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, the best avenue is to steer clear of vehicle rental outfits and other operations that demand passports as surety. If dealing with such a place is inevitable, it may be possible to use a photocopy of the first page of your passport with a line drawn through it instead.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Opinion-Preventing-passport-malpractice-27837.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-16

Well this confirmed my thoughts and answered my question. I am aware in Australia only the courts can order the holding of a persons passport and this is normally only done as part of bail conditions.

• Like 1

Only first time travelers or naive idiots to Thailand hand over their passports as security for renting a motorbike or car. A copy of your passport is sufficient and normal International practice for years. This issue is nothing more than sensational negative spin.

• Like 2

Actually, the going rate is 50k for a UK passport. I know because it was offered to me while walking in Phuket Town. The market is huge.

So if I am an idiot, I can sell the passport for 50k. Go to a police station, file a lost report, fly to BKK, pay 8k or so for a new one. Flight costs, food, bars, pineapples, and I still bring home 40k. whistling.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Aren't the passports actually the property of the governments where people come from. What right does Somchia the local vender have to take them? I know people in Thailand love to collect copies of passports, geez soon you will have to provide a copy to buy a bowl of noodles.

The real question is how stupid can farangs be to hand over their passports to some 'street vendor'?

As quickly as every farang stopped doing that, they would just as quickly find another way to get the deal done.

Only first time travelers or naive idiots to Thailand hand over their passports as security for renting a motorbike or car. A copy of your passport is sufficient and normal International practice for years. This issue is nothing more than sensational negative spin.

However the problem for most tourist visitors, ones without contacts on the island or someone to guide them is that the renters of motorcycles and scooters simply refuse to deal with anything less.

As the tuktuks hold the island to ransom to get from A to B a scooter then becomes the next obvious step.. To obtain one you pretty much have to leave you passport.

Sure, expats and locals can name a contact who is a bit more flexible, but your average fresh of the plane tourist doesnt have anyone to ask or any idea where to find an alternative.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Aren't the passports actually the property of the governments where people come from. What right does Somchia the local vender have to take them? I know people in Thailand love to collect copies of passports, geez soon you will have to provide a copy to buy a bowl of noodles.

The real question is how stupid can farangs be to hand over their passports to some 'street vendor'?

As quickly as every farang stopped doing that, they would just as quickly find another way to get the deal done.

However the problem for most tourist visitors, ones without contacts on the island or someone to guide them is that the renters of motorcycles and scooters simply refuse to deal with anything less.

As the tuktuks hold the island to ransom to get from A to B a scooter then becomes the next obvious step.. To obtain one you pretty much have to leave you passport.

Sure, expats and locals can name a contact who is a bit more flexible, but your average fresh of the plane tourist doesnt have anyone to ask or any idea where to find an alternative.

Most accommodation properties have motorbikes for rent as part of additional services without the need for passport holding deposit since they already have your identity at check in.

If you're a regularly drinker at one of the bars they too will rent you a motorbike and in some cases without the need for any identification at all. Sure, fresh off the plane new arrivals will always oblige to passport security but this only a small percentage because of the market being so large.

However, I must say travelers to Koh Phangan are always desperate to rent some mode of transport on the island and will always play by the local rules by obliging to hand over their passport in order to achieve that outcome.

Edited by MK1

Here's another point, there are people who gather copies of passports to start insurance / health insurance policies, and then in cahouts with dishonest doctors claim bogus refunds for medical expenses.

Ultimately this is why, when I withdraw funds away from my home bank branch, I always write full details of the transaction: date / time / location / actual transaction & amount across the photo / passport number etc., details and then sign it.

My Thai son and his Thai wife do the same think across any copy of their Thai ID cards.

Edited by scorecard

"Something needs to be done! But we are soooo powerless...especially when dealing with Phuket's tuk-tuk government run by a "powerful, senior person" dressed in black! There is nothing we can do, we are sooo weak, booohooohooo! Can Mr Ban Ki Moon please come and help the Phuket police once he is finished in Bangkok? We will give him a free ride from the airport...oh, sorry, can't do that...we will give him a Rolex! Oh Buddah, the whole world is laughing at us, again."

source: a high ranking Phuket police officer, dressed in pink

• Like 1

The holder, not owner, of a passport is not meant to hand them over to anyone...except immigration.

We have to rememebr that many of the tourists are young and rather naive. They won't have the life experience to never, ever, hand over your passport to some scam artist and rental scum bag. You can be held accountable for anything once these cheats have your valuable document ,without which you are captive, a hostage to the con men, and you can't move.

Don't expect a single iota of help from the thugs in brown.

I refuse to call these low life's police.

Edited by harleyclarkey
  • Like 2

"... there is no law in Thailand prohibiting foreigners from handing his or her own passport to another person to hold as per their own agreement.”

Such a law is unnecessary. Get a law then that prohibits vendors for holding passports? If the foreign tourist can't otherwise provide satisfactory security (how about that Roelx watch?), then there is no rental. If a vendor is found holding passports, they get fined. Or the police can enforcing the existing law that requires foreign tourists to have their passport (or copy?) on hand and fine them if they do not.

It seems polic ejust want to avoind the whole issue. And so the probelm continues and so does Thailand's shame.

I have worked over seas for many years,and the one thing I lure t is that the only person to keep a passport is the owner of that pass port,and if a rental co. wants a copy they can have it,but the owner is responsible for it,and if he is dumb enough to let them take it sham on him.

They: Passport, please.

You: No.

They: Must have your passport, or no motorbike.

You: OK, no motorbike.

You (to self): But gee, must have motorbike because of taxi mafia on the island.

Your common sense: OK - NO PHUKET!!!!!

Very simple (and hardly the only reason to stay away from Phuket).

Honestly, bad enough to lose one or have one stolen, but that someone would actually hand over their passport just to rent a bike... And after this MH370 incident, I have a feeling replacement passports are going to start becoming a bit harder to come by.

• Like 1