Where to buy pork lard in CM?

jaideeguy

Cannot say I have ever seen it for sale in Chiang Mai, I know some

of the butchers in Pattaya stock it, what about Sausage King he may

be your best bet here, or you may have to make it yourself,just buy

some fat at the market ,Ive seen big slabs of it before.

Good luck in your search,lets know the results could do with some

to make pork pie pastry,use butter at moment,but lard would be better.

regards Worgeordie

This was the recipe I used. I have 3 left in my freezer and when they are thawed out they taste just the same.

HP IS the best sauce for pork pies.

attachicon.gifProper old fashioned pork pie v02.doc

That is fighting talk that is.

Bring out the Branston!

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

Cannot say I have ever seen it for sale in Chiang Mai, I know some

of the butchers in Pattaya stock it, what about Sausage King he may

be your best bet here, or you may have to make it yourself,just buy

some fat at the market ,Ive seen big slabs of it before.

Good luck in your search,lets know the results could do with some

to make pork pie pastry,use butter at moment,but lard would be better.

regards Worgeordie

This was the recipe I used. I have 3 left in my freezer and when they are thawed out they taste just the same.

HP IS the best sauce for pork pies.

attachicon.gifProper old fashioned pork pie v02.doc

That is fighting talk that is.

Bring out the Branston!

biggrin.png

My problem out here in the sticks is that I can easily get HP Sauce at Makro but the nearest place for Branston pickle would be anywhere between 180 and 400 km away which make it a tad expensive.

On the other hand on my bi-annual vists to the big city I do ten to take the pick truck and stock up.

• Like 1

It worked for me with a local supermarket and twiglets.

Although what happens here is that they get a bulk order in, everyone buys loads and they disappear in a week, then they scratch their heads and begin the three month process of ordering some more....

I would take a picture though.

Branston now do a small chunk version as well as a few other things....

http://www.bringoutthebranston.co.uk/our-range/

Edited by Chicog

Only bought pure white lard in uk to put in my chip pan.....the ones that start the most house fires!

The blocks of vegetable fat although the healthier option never seemed to get hot enough to crisp those chips on the outside.

With lard you get perfect results.

No point bringing a chip pan over though if the lard isn't available.

Anyone ever get called "yer grate big lumper lard" at school?

• Like 1

Konini,just for you your information the fat around the kidneys on beef is called cod fat.This does make good suet but most of it is sliced and hammered into flat pieces and put around joints called topside(UK).This meat has not fat of its own as it is an internal muscle and is not surrounded by fat.This cod fat helps to keep the meat moist during cooking.The best fat to make lard is as I said before,leaf fat which is the same as cod fat on beef.When I make lard it does not smell or stink my kitchen out,providing you do not simmer it on a high heat.I make great pastry and lovely pies.Believe me it is so easy to do.

• Like 1

It's fun reading all the comments in this thread. I remember buying drums of lard for my restaurants during the college days back in the States. When I opened the lid of a drum, it smelled so good and the lard was pure milky white. We used it for cooking and for deep frying.

In Thailand, I did try to buy lard but with no success. However, I do reckon I haven't tried hard enough due to various reasons, one of which being from the wife saying it's unhealthy. I did, on a few occasions, fried off the pork skin to get the fat and mixed it with other ingredients to make dumblings and egg rolls. The favor just didn't come out as good.

I have learned a lot from the contributors here. Thanks!

I do have a question though. A poster has mentioned about using fat around the kidney (or from internal parts) and rendering it (simmering in water?). My question is: can you just fry off the fat to get the lard (oil) and later on let it solidify in the fridge?

Edited by muchogra

Well, a bit off topic here, pardon me. When I was kid, the cooking was done with either peanut oil or pig oil. Nowadays, even peanut oil is harder to find and it's quite expensive considering that peanut is not that expensive. I suppose it may have something to do with supply and demand!

• 6 months later...

Thanks for that Graham, also didn't see posts after mine, so I had missed the one from, nicsal37, which is very informative to all hobby cooks out there.

Got to find out why sometimes when I post on a thread I don't automatically follow it, nine times out of ten it's OK, but it's usually the ones that I would most like to see followups to that don't include me in the list of followers.

We have a Thai kitchen outside my MIL place but I do most of my work in the house on the dining table with a small fan assisted oven in the spare room. Most of my ingredients are kept in my store room.

I have just got my wife to order me another hind leg of pork which will be turned into ham and haven't thought out yet. The ham will be a wet cure as I haven't had much success with a dry cure. I did get a nice dry cure German style bacon last month and it was very nice after I smoked it.

I've always made it indoors and can't remember the smell being so terrible.

A leg of ham with peas pudding. Mmmmm. Will be in England in about 6 weeks and calling in at Bolams in Sedgfield for a month-long supply of both.

Are you jealous WorGeordie?

With Stottie bread of course,

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

A leg of ham with peas pudding. Mmmmm. Will be in England in about 6 weeks and calling in at Bolams in Sedgfield for a month-long supply of both.

Are you jealous WorGeordie?

With Stottie bread of course,

regards worgeordie

Actually, stottie cakes are all the go now in England - on sale in supermarkets and for sandwiches from Gregg's etc. Not as good as homemade though. licklips.gif

I used to love beef dripping on doorstep toast.

It is hard to find decent beef in Nakhon Nowhere though.

Also, while on the topic of classic unhealthy things: roasted bone marrow on toast. wink.png

Rimping often sells big bags of leftover beef bones which are excellent for making a beef broth. But in the process you end up with a ton of beef fat as well as a lot of bone marrow.

I wasn't really sure what to do with it (some people eat it on toast with some salt and parsley), but you can also mix it with hamburger meat or use it in stews.

51tE80OA-YL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai