Where to buy pork lard in CM?

jaideeguy

A recipe that I want to try insists that pork lard is preferred ...............not shortening. I asked my Thai wife how do they do it and she says Thais just buy pig fat and render it down. With all the fat pigs that you see in the market, you would think that someone makes it for sale. Anyone see it??

apologies to the vegans out there

Hi Jaideeguy,,

Just to to any market that fry and sell those pork crunch.

Can see those stalls in ChiangMai Gate market and even San Sai market.

They have a big wok behind the counter and they will fry and sell those pork crunch at their stall.

Just ask to buy a pkt. I think each pkt is about 30 or 40 baht. est 1 kg.

Cannot say I have ever seen it for sale in Chiang Mai, I know some

of the butchers in Pattaya stock it, what about Sausage King he may

be your best bet here, or you may have to make it yourself,just buy

some fat at the market ,Ive seen big slabs of it before.

Good luck in your search,lets know the results could do with some

to make pork pie pastry,use butter at moment,but lard would be better.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Hi Jaideeguy,,

Just to to any market that fry and sell those pork crunch.

Can see those stalls in ChiangMai Gate market and even San Sai market.

They have a big wok behind the counter and they will fry and sell those pork crunch at their stall.

Just ask to buy a pkt. I think each pkt is about 30 or 40 baht. est 1 kg.

That's a good idea, but is it 100% pork fat and no palm oil?? And how many times has it been used?.............is it fresh, especially in this heat??

You could buy a kg of bacon and enjoy a real brekky.

What is left in the pan, when cold is pure.....(strain it first)....white lard.

Assuming you cannot buy it.

If you get in a pinch let me know. I like the bacon crisp and could freeze it for my own consumption.smile.png

I think its too hot here for it to remain solid

Best idea so far,,,,,,,,,been hungering for some bacon. Usually we give the drippings to the dogs, but this time, sorry dogs. I only need a few spoonful's anyway..............

thanks for the easiest solution EC

The Pub tried on one occasion to render down Lard from pig products.

Stunk the place out.

More that one 'Baker/producer of pies' in CM has told me you cannot obtain Lard in CM.

IMHO you cannot make quality pastry without Lard.

Cheerful Charlie once told me his father had been a Baker during WW II and had passed on the secret of making reasonable pastry without use of lard to him.

john

Charlie did a decent pie.

i haven't seen it available, but would suggest rendering it down yourself its easy enough. I am a chef, can you tell me what the recipe is for. Because other fats usually work just as well.

Lard is the preferred ingredient in making tamales and that's going to be my next project. I think that the bacon rendered method would impart a great flavor to my tamales.............

You might try getting a quantity of back fat. Put in the freezer until firm and dice finely or—better—run through a meat grinder. In a large pot boil in plain water, Set to simmer and mash it up occasionally. Let cool to room temp and add ice. This will harden the fat. Lift off the lard floating on top.

i haven't seen it available, but would suggest rendering it down yourself its easy enough. I am a chef, can you tell me what the recipe is for. Because other fats usually work just as well.

Lard is the preferred ingredient in making tamales and that's going to be my next project. I think that the bacon rendered method would impart a great flavor to my tamales.............

What you say is true. How ever it has been my experience (the experience of a bacon lover) that there is a wide range in the taste of bacon.

I recently had some at a restaurant that I am familiar with and has good tasting bacon. It was rather bland and I asked the owner if he had changed his supplier he said yes he was trying this one out.

Even the suppliers change their taste. I often eat breakfast at a small café two employee one. The fried potatoes are the best in Thailand. Also there is an extra some thing in the omelet. But the bacon is not consistent. I have asked her over the last few years if she had changed where she got it and she said no same place.

Here at the Hang Dong market, one woman who sells pork skins, sells lard by the small bag, maybe a half litre. She does not cook her own pork skins so I am guessing it comes from. The wife renders a fatty piece of pork in water and then boils off the water to get the pure oil.

I am amazed. All help ans not 1 health freak to tell you how bad it is for you.

Well can you name just one thing that isn't actually bad for you.

There will be a risk with everything.

Whatever it might be, just don't eat it by the bucketful.

My point was about normal TV commenters. Apparently they don't follow the food thread.

It is very easy to make your own lard.Go to the market and try and buy internal pork fat.This is the fat that surrounds the kidneys, sometimes called leaf fat.External pork fat will not give you the same results.Chop it up into small pieces and put it into a saucepan with plenty of water.Simmer it slowly for about an hour.Then strain the liquid into a bowl and let cool.When cool put it into a fridge for 6/8 hours.The water will sink to the bottom and on top you will have a pure white lard.Scoop it off the water and there you have it.

Just rendered some pork fat that I found at Rimping [of all places] and for the amount that I need for this recipe...........less than 25thb. I also bought some fatty bacon and 6 slices rendered over 6 tablespoons of fat. Smelling the bacon makes me think that it will give added flavor to my tamales.

Thanks for all the replies and methods of DIY lard.

regards Worgeordie

I get my wife to buy the pork fat in the market then she renders it down for me.

My last batch of pork pies.

post-5614-0-38636200-1395123927_thumb.jp post-5614-0-87776200-1395124081_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-84133400-1395124201_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766
  • Like 2

I keep my lard in the refrigerator

• Like 1

I keep my lard in the refrigerator

I remember growing up always with a bowl of lard in the refrigerator, it never got changed from memory, chunks taken out, lard topped back up from other cooking.

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

This was the recipe I used. I have 3 left in my freezer and when they are thawed out they taste just the same.

HP IS the best sauce for pork pies.

Proper old fashioned pork pie v02.doc

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Agree it's very hard to replicate the pastry I grew up with using anything but lard, and believe me I've tried. Kinda given up on making it here as it's too hot in the kitchen with no aircon. Possible, but too much effort. Pork pies can't be made without it, many years since I messed around making them, and fried eggs are (to me) awful fried in anything else. I won't even mention chips; not skinny fries, but nan chips, one potato cut almost in half. Nan made the best ones ever with rendered pork fat and beef dripping. I'm hungry now. Or is it just greedy?

Rendering fat isn't difficult at all, I just can't be bothered any more. Never heard of internal fat from around kidney being used for anything but (beef) suet, that would add an interesting taste but how would you describe it to the Thai butcher?

Seriously, that may just be tempting enough to try.

• Like 1

Agree it's very hard to replicate the pastry I grew up with using anything but lard, and believe me I've tried. Kinda given up on making it here as it's too hot in the kitchen with no aircon. Possible, but too much effort. Pork pies can't be made without it, many years since I messed around making them, and fried eggs are (to me) awful fried in anything else. I won't even mention chips; not skinny fries, but nan chips, one potato cut almost in half. Nan made the best ones ever with rendered pork fat and beef dripping. I'm hungry now. Or is it just greedy?

Rendering fat isn't difficult at all, I just can't be bothered any more. Never heard of internal fat from around kidney being used for anything but (beef) suet, that would add an interesting taste but how would you describe it to the Thai butcher?

Seriously, that may just be tempting enough to try.

We have a Thai kitchen outside my MIL place but I do most of my work in the house on the dining table with a small fan assisted oven in the spare room. Most of my ingredients are kept in my store room.

I have just got my wife to order me another hind leg of pork which will be turned into ham and haven't thought out yet. The ham will be a wet cure as I haven't had much success with a dry cure. I did get a nice dry cure German style bacon last month and it was very nice after I smoked it.

We have a Thai kitchen outside my MIL place but I do most of my work in the house on the dining table with a small fan assisted oven in the spare room. Most of my ingredients are kept in my store room.

I have just got my wife to order me another hind leg of pork which will be turned into ham and haven't thought out yet. The ham will be a wet cure as I haven't had much success with a dry cure. I did get a nice dry cure German style bacon last month and it was very nice after I smoked it.

I've always made it indoors and can't remember the smell being so terrible.

A leg of ham with peas pudding. Mmmmm. Will be in England in about 6 weeks and calling in at Bolams in Sedgfield for a month-long supply of both.

Are you jealous WorGeordie?