What big bikes are made in Thailand?

heybruce

I know I've seen a topic of this nature before, but can't find it. My small bike is great for weaving through backed-up traffic, but I'm thinking of getting something bigger for longer trips. I know anything imported legally will have a ridiculous tax incorporated into the price, so I'm interested in medium to large bikes made in Thailand. Can anyone tell me what bikes are manufactured in Thailand, or provide a link to this information? Thanks for your help.

there's tons of choice now, 3-4 years ago it was kawasaki's er range and that was pretty much it for mid-bike produced here and cheap to buy. Now you can select by type of bike as there are good options in sports, tourer and so on.

Bigger bike for longer trips. Do you ride solo or two up? How long are your trips? Do you need top box, panniers or make do with a backpack? How important is dealer network, service centres? What's your budget?

After answering these questions, you will find that the final choice boils down to just one or two choices.

Ducati Monster 765

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Kawasaki ER6n

Kawasaki Versys

Kawasaki z800

Honda CBR500 CB500F, CB500X

Honda CBR650F

Honda CB650F

Suzuki Gladius 650

Suzuki V-strom

(Not sure where Suzuki are made, but they are priced like they are made here now)

Suzuki Gladius and V-Strom are Made In Japan and have the premium build quality that goes with that status for a Thai price. Ducati Hypermotard and Hyperstrada are also assembled in Thailand but are rather more expensive in comparison to the Japanese brand names. My own choice for touring would be the Kawa Versys or the Suzi V-Strom, both reasonably priced, highly regarded machines.
  • Like 2

The best bikes for long travels are from BMW, but (luckely) not made in Thailand. In Thailand too expensive, good price in Singapore. Or you bring your own, by ship or plane. Ducati ist not produced in Thailand, but in Italy. If you are looking for a cheap bike, you should check in Hanoi, Vietnam. BMW and Ducati available there.

The best bikes for long travels are from BMW, but (luckely) not made in Thailand. In Thailand too expensive, good price in Singapore. Or you bring your own, by ship or plane. Ducati ist not produced in Thailand, but in Italy. If you are looking for a cheap bike, you should check in Hanoi, Vietnam. BMW and Ducati available there.

possible candidate for the most mis-informed post of the year ? smile.png

+1biggrin.png

Well the post was made very latedrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif ??

I think BMW will start making bikes here?

cheesy.gif

Importing (permanently) a bike (or any vehicle for that matter) into Thailand is generally regarded as a very, very bad idea.

• Like 1

Importing (permanently) a bike (or any vehicle for that matter) into Thailand is generally regarded as a very, very bad idea.

Not a bad idea but an impossible dream

• Like 1

Not a bad idea but an impossible dream

i did it once and it was so much hassle and expense id never even dream of doing it again

saying that though ,there were no decent bikes on sale then and i wanted a 1200cc or bigger for comfort + touring fun

no excuse now though as there are big bikes available

if i were in the same pposition now id robably take the honda vfr 1200 or the yamaha 1200 the airport police have ,forget their prices

but anything is better than trying to get a foreign bike road legal thesedays .......even the thai fixers are having trouble .....i know one with a

garage full of dodgy bikes he cant get books for

Thanks for all the replies, I now have some options to consider. I'm not looking for a racing machine or a monster bike, just something big enough for safe, comfortable day trips. I'm sure there are ways to get around import taxes, but I want a bike that is completely legal.