Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

Living in Asia over 10 years and grew up with many Asians and had Asian GF's in America and I have never heard of this term. Must be a British thing. Stupid comment if it is true. Classic Clarklson though. Been waiting for this episode.

No it's definitely American slang (relating to the sloped eyes) - dates well back to the railway building times when the Chinese were brought over to lay the track. Revived during the Vietnam era. In the UK they would say "Chink" - which would also have worked, but not so well perhaps - "There's a little chink in it". Never heard it in the UK other than on American movies - Clarkson does a lot of American trips/TV too, so probably why he used the term. You should here him attack the Germans and the French (he loved the Italians though - well their cars any way) - but always is light hearted - he once challenged a German Card TV Programme to a race of standard British versus standard German cars - they both turned up with minis (which was the joke) - and ended up with a Spitfire doing a run! The Germans won incidentally. He has landed in hot water a few time with his mouth - youtube is full of it - but most take it as the banter it is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring back Alf Garnett,Curry and Chips ( Spike Miligan ) Love Thy Neighbour,Black and White Minstrel Show,The Comedians (Bernard Manning ),Monty Python,Fawlty Towers ( Don't mention the war ) and all the other British humour programmes with no malice intended.

Alo Alo? "good-a-moaning" :D

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors.

I expect a lot of government officials will get to watch this show to see how their respective countries are portrayed by the BBC - this isn't going to help future visitors to the country one bit.

The only damage being done is by people like you who are drilling it into( Thais , Burmese) peoples heads that they have been insulted , other than forums like this and quotes like yours they'de remain completely oblivious to any "if" any insults , but hey lets do a good job of making them think that they've been insulted shall we ?..

Gee, I didn't feel like having to type all this out, never mind, please bear with me. I'll keep it short.

I married a Thai in Bangkok in late 1985 and was shortly afterwards posted ashore to see out my last couple of years, on land, in the Navy. I went to a very small training school as the Commanding Officer's right hand man and Senior Chief. He turned out to be a fat, racist, overbearing, loud, rude, racist and bigot. He had never been to sea in an Australian Warship BTW.

A component of one of the courses we intructed was what was called a 'practical lesson'. Believe it not it was how to park a car on a slope.

One morning at 'Stand Easy' when the small staff would gather in the Brew Room on a 'social level' this particular course component came up in discussion. The Bully, or CO would sit at the head of the table, holding Court, surrounded by the sychophants who liked to giggle at his racist, sexist jokes etc.

My CO was very well aware of who I was married to, and the 'Slope jokes' came thick and fast. At my expense.

A young officer, LEUT, who was a very decent bloke grew angrier and angrier, and at last blew up. he through his seat back in disgust, jumped up and stormed out of the room. Knowing what his problem was I immediately excused myself and followed him out and pulled him up. He was in a rage and said he would not put up with it anymore and asked how it was I could.

Culminating in, I had to physically restrain him from phoning Naval HQ in Canberra. Telling him that if he went ahead with this call, right or wrong, his career would be OVER. Full stop!

Besides I was capable of fighting my own battles, Even though he tried to explain it wasn't just on my behalf.

The LEUT, at this time had been already selected by the Chief of The Navy to be his on his staff as his personal research officer. (he is today a prolific and well published author of Military History) Should he do this, he could kiss that job goodbye, not to mention his career.

He hung up the phone.

That same bloke, former Lieutenant, today, is the Anglican Arch Bishop for the Australian Defence Forces.

Jeremy Clarkson is an overrated jerk and his remark should not be trivialised

The slur JC used is an offensive one, I've seen it used in a more vicious manner in the UK. JC thought he was being funny in his smug arrogant manner, but I doubt there was any hate behind it. Doesn't make it any better or make what he did acceptable though.

It appears it was the septic's who came up with term, and JC is mearly repeating a term made up by the greatest nation on earth....so leave Jeeza alone and how's about some mock outrage for the yanks then ?

Who's outraged?

Golly, why can't everyone be all sweetness and light just like me. smile.png

Oh bugger,.....can I still say 'Golly'? sad.png

Yes, the abbreviated form or contraction 'golly' has been passed by the PC Committee as acceptable when used in this way. I'm looking up the relevant clause in the legislation. smile.png

We are living in Thailand and suffer from racist discrimination every day. Clarkson says one small thing and gets hammered. Why don't these people report on what is happening in Asia every day .

Aww diddums, you must have been on the receiving end of some particularly nasty form of racial discrimination for it to have affected you so. Were you beaten to death or sold into slavery? Or pulled over by the police when you hadn't done anything, or perhaps your parents were sent to an internment camp by their own government?

Or perhaps you were overcharged slightly? By someone who probably earns in a year what you earn in a month?

It was not the River Kwai. or even the River Khwae.

In typical Top Gear humour they built a bridge over the River "Cock".

As they had just built the bridge in typical Top Gear manner the remark from Clarkson on it's slope was typical of the tongue-in-cheek humour. Sarcastic self deprecating humour that the top gear crew and us British often use to mock each other. Thinking Clarkson was being Racist is so wrong. Not saying he is an angel. He often inserts his foot in his mouth. But on this point I think the observation is well wrong.

Edited by Carol Jadzia

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Pepperme you need serious help.

How can you say it is not derogatory because soldiers used it in Vietnam.

Racist derogatory slurs are racist derogatory slurs... in spite of all your excuses, pal.

"that old, black lady shouldn't be driving that motorbike"

So, is that racist, ageist, sexist or descriptive ??

Wilcopop will probably think he knows the answer but he doesn't.

He doesn't know because I said it, and only I know what I meant by it..

PC fanatics need to think before they speak, just like the rest of us smile.png

Context would help too - what was she doing? If nothing and riding it perfectly then it would seem to be discriminatory against one or the other (or both). If one of a group of old ladies and standing out to be unsafe, then perhaps the "black" could be either descriptive or unnecessary, but "old" would be unnecessary and thus discriminatory in nature. If a group of black people on bikes, then the reverse of the last - "old" could be descriptive, "black" would seem unnecessary. It would seem that both adjectives would be necessary only when both are narrowing (descriptive in their own right AND help with the identification) - a group of people of various ages and races and one old, black lady stands out. Context can say much to intent, even when intent is not conscious.

I get you point though - positive racism and being overly PC is just silly. I once walked into an office to meet with a guy I did not know other than by name/emails. I ask the first person I see to direct me to his desk. It's the man over there (pointing in vague direction) wearing the pink tie - I screw up my eyes trying to tell tie colours from a distance and difficult angle - "Oh the black guy siting down?" - "erm, yes" (embarrassed - shuffles away). That is just nuts and happens all the time in offices in the UK - in the story (which is true by the way - but one of many such instances), I knew the guy quite well by emails and reports, but never had personally met him - later I told him about it and he laughed, "What am I ashamed to be black?" - "No, but you should be ashamed that everyone knows you more for wearing pink ties :)".

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

SLOPE on e bridge , means for me that it goes downhill , and thats all ,, i saw this program last day, and was shure he meant the bridge not straght,, racisme i did not even think about that this meant,, never heard about it . Another ting is that, stay in Thai long time, and you will become a racist,, so mutch useless people, cheaters, bad workers skills. and knowledge level like 10 year old.. will make a westerner racist..

You can find people like that in any country. I work with productive, honest, skillful and knowledgeable people who have in no way turned me in to a racist. Must be the type of people you know.

"that old, black lady shouldn't be driving that motorbike"

So, is that racist, ageist, sexist or descriptive ??

Wilcopop will probably think he knows the answer but he doesn't.

He doesn't know because I said it, and only I know what I meant by it..

PC fanatics need to think before they speak, just like the rest of us smile.png

None of the above..... just rather embarrassing.

No self respecting motorcyclist would 'drive a motorbike'.

As they had just built the bridge in typical Top Gear manner the remark from Clarkson on it's slop was typical of the tongue-in-cheek humour. Sarcastic self deprecating humour that the top gear crew and us British often use to mock each other. Thinking Clarkson was being Racist is so wrong. Not saying he is an angel. He often inserts his foot in his mouth. But on this point I think the observation is well wrong.

How dare you use such an offense word such as "cock" !

You are of course referring to the derogatory term for a gentleman's bits and not the one the crows at dawn

Jeeza for PM

Sometimes a slope is just a slope... like a ski slope... the bridge has a slope (meaning it is not Level)... it slopes to one side... in such instances racism like obscenity seems to be in the mind of the beholders... rather than in the use of a perfectly correct word... perhaps the social site's illiterates should check their dictionary before clicking the post tab... coffee1.gif

Not in this case. JC thought using the term would be funny [it isn't], he's done similar things before. He's less of a bigot and more of an idiot, but it was a deliberate use of a slur.

Gee, I didn't feel like having to type all this out, never mind, please bear with me. I'll keep it short.

I married a Thai in Bangkok in late 1985 and was shortly afterwards posted ashore to see out my last couple of years, on land, in the Navy. I went to a very small training school as the Commanding Officer's right hand man and Senior Chief. He turned out to be a fat, racist, overbearing, loud, rude, racist and bigot. He had never been to sea in an Australian Warship BTW.

A component of one of the courses we intructed was what was called a 'practical lesson'. Believe it not it was how to park a car on a slope.

One morning at 'Stand Easy' when the small staff would gather in the Brew Room on a 'social level' this particular course component came up in discussion. The Bully, or CO would sit at the head of the table, holding Court, surrounded by the sychophants who liked to giggle at his racist, sexist jokes etc.

My CO was very well aware of who I was married to, and the 'Slope jokes' came thick and fast. At my expense.

A young officer, LEUT, who was a very decent bloke grew angrier and angrier, and at last blew up. he through his seat back in disgust, jumped up and stormed out of the room. Knowing what his problem was I immediately excused myself and followed him out and pulled him up. He was in a rage and said he would not put up with it anymore and asked how it was I could.

Culminating in, I had to physically restrain him from phoning Naval HQ in Canberra. Telling him that if he went ahead with this call, right or wrong, his career would be OVER. Full stop!

Besides I was capable of fighting my own battles, Even though he tried to explain it wasn't just on my behalf.

The LEUT, at this time had been already selected by the Chief of The Navy to be his on his staff as his personal research officer. (he is today a prolific and well published author of Military History) Should he do this, he could kiss that job goodbye, not to mention his career.

He hung up the phone.

That same bloke, former Lieutenant, today, is the Anglican Arch Bishop for the Australian Defence Forces.

Jeremy Clarkson is an overrated jerk and his remark should not be trivialised

And as a white Aussie you have never in all your years referred to your native aboriginal peoples as "Bungs" or other term of endearment ?

As they had just built the bridge in typical Top Gear manner the remark from Clarkson on it's slop was typical of the tongue-in-cheek humour. Sarcastic self deprecating humour that the top gear crew and us British often use to mock each other. Thinking Clarkson was being Racist is so wrong. Not saying he is an angel. He often inserts his foot in his mouth. But on this point I think the observation is well wrong.

You are of course referring to the derogatory term for a gentleman's bits and not the one the crows at dawn

Jeeza for PM

. Dawn is innocent.

Jeeza for PM

. Dawn is innocent.

I am sure plenty of people have been up the crack of dawn before

Truth is, these numerous urban dictionaries can't even settle on where the phrase comes from, and few people even know what it means. I don't expect anyone to have to make a blinking apology.

Why would you expect urban dictionaries to settle on anything when they are just a compilation of reader contributed rubbish.

Slope as a derogatory term is in the Oxford English Dictionary of Additions as 'Slope, slopehead, slopy, slopey, sloper (US and Aus) a person of Asian (in Australia, especially Vietnamese; in America, especially Chinese) descent.'

Jeeza for PM

. Dawn is innocent.

I am sure plenty of people have been up the crack of dawn before

OOOOOh you are awful, Catch um before they p my granddad used to say cheesy.gif

At least he didn't say it was the First Stage of the Dippy P.M.s Mega Railway Project. Possibly because the Locals would have noticed the better Build Quality after her Brothers Airport Scam.coffee1.gif

Nice segue. thumbsup.gif Actually quite funny, but the Thai government would not have seen it as a joke. Not to mention a certain family. Maybe expulsion of the British Ambassador!

At least he didn't say it was the First Stage of the Dippy P.M.s Mega Railway Project. Possibly because the Locals would have noticed the better Build Quality after her Brothers Airport Scam.coffee1.gif

Nice segue. thumbsup.gif Actually quite funny, but the Thai government would not have seen it as a joke. Not to mention a certain family. Maybe expulsion of the British Ambassador!

Not expulsion dear boy more like explosion

Arguments are way too PC especially coming from what most likely is an audience of bigotry, prejudice or simple ignorance towards Thailand based on media reputation. Just someone to point fingers at while in denial of their own true feelings.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

More amusing are the outraged remarks over the term "slope" by some posters who then state the term " Farang" has no racist connotations

Well yes, as it is impossible for racism against white people to exist, but also that most posters don't know what "Farang" means.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Ok.. VC and Cong are clearly just names for what the North Vietnamese (Cong) Army were.. but are you seriously trying to convince us that 'Gooks', 'Slopes', 'Charlies' etc weren't just (TOTALLY!!) derogatory spin-offs? Not really surprising ones, I'd also add, for young lads stuck in a war against an enemy they'd quickly grow to both hate and fear, but let's not dress them up as something they aren't, ie that they were simply 'casual military designation' (and if so then it just means the officers, again unsurprisingly, were of the same mind as the squadies!).. same goes for 'Bennies' in the Falklands, clearly, being as the islanders were being labelled as retarded!... as for Jeremy ('Great joke.. keep it up, Clarky'???) Clarkson, he's just a big stupid kid (like the others!) which is why I don't watch the show, boys racing round in big fancy toys (ok, I've 'looked in'!) and with so much money they even go as far as bragging about buying some of these ridiculously expensive cars, showing a total disrespect for their audience.. (or maybe the audience deserves it, if that's the sort of people and stupid antics they wish to 'follow'!!)... lastly, it's not even an English (as in from England) term anyway.. so just shows how far the big dumb dolt will 'reach' to make a stupid 'gag'!!!... wai2.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

Ahh, miss the days of gollywogs do you? Who can blame you? It was a simpler time. Tell you what, build a time machine and go back there, and take your unreconstructed antiquated crap with you. You'll be happier, we'll be happier... you can surround yourself with images of racial stereotypes, and forget these troubling confusing modern times, when words magically change their connotations leaving you sad and confused, when it's generally assumed that all people should be treated with a modicum of respect and be granted basic human rights, not just white men.

who exactly does a golliwog offend by being a company mascot that sells strawberry jam ?

whos rights do you imagine infringing on ?

some golliwogs might be offended ?

what about the children in need teddy bear with just one eye ?

my friend lost an eye in an accident as do hundreds of thousands of peoplpe every year ,should they be offended and make children in need change their mascot ?

or wil you just admit this PC crap has gone too far??

Brilliant! Will you admit this PC crap has gone too far? As if you've just boxed me into a corner with your watertight logic.

If you must have it spelled out for you like a child:

Gollywogs are racist stereotypes which exaggerate elements of the body characteristic to people of African descent. Much like the images of huge-nosed Jewish villains disseminated by the nazi propagandists of the 30s and 40s. They are offensive to anyone with a modicum of moral decency, including those of African descent who are well aware of their meaning, and those of causasian descent who don't spend their days pining for the pre-civil rights movement era.

you said it ,not me lol

i thought a golliwog was just a harmless golliwog .........:D

This topic prompted me to look at the 'racial slur' database. I feel as though I've been living in a vacuum these past 70 years.

Around 60 derogatory descriptions of Asians and only a handful that I've previously heard of and 'slope' certainly isn't one them.

I thought 'slope' referred to Jeremy Clarkson's rather stooped appearance where his beer belly has caused his back to hunch.

Normally this anatomical distortion is referred to as a 'widow's hump', which is quite fitting as JC gives a sizeable percentage of the population 'the hump'

Top Gear itself is on 'the slope', a downward, slippery slope where viewing figures have fallen more heavily than the thatch on Clarkson's dome

I love it when people take the p--s out of me it gives me inspiration to be more cutting in return

But the best retort I ever heard was received from a Welsh acquaintance of mine when I was making fun of his countrymen being a nation of 'sheep shaggers'

Without Welshman shagging sheep there wouldn't be any Englishmen responded Wyn!!

Now that's the clever way to counter racist remarks

Truth is, these numerous urban dictionaries can't even settle on where the phrase comes from, and few people even know what it means. I don't expect anyone to have to make a blinking apology.

Why would you expect urban dictionaries to settle on anything when they are just a compilation of reader contributed rubbish.

Slope as a derogatory term is in the Oxford English Dictionary of Additions as 'Slope, slopehead, slopy, slopey, sloper (US and Aus) a person of Asian (in Australia, especially Vietnamese; in America, especially Chinese) descent.'

USinformal , • offensive A person from East Asia, especially Vietnam.

So its a derogatory phrase in American informal English. I fail to see where that fits into Top Gear. I just watched the clip, haha, typical Top Gear groan material. Grow up everyone. And as I said, the bridge was hardly flat was it. Who exactly is outraged by this anyway? Anyone?