No alcohol sells the next 2 weekends.

khwaibah

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd be a bit gutted if my holiday crossed the two weekends when alcohol was banned. I do enjoy a beer when on holiday with my family and friends.

I'm not sure that makes me an alcoholic but to some it may.

Lets see here 14 days and no alcohol on 4 of them and you are gutted.

Maybe you do have a problem or maybe you need different friends you don't have to drink with to have fun.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

I think you might be missing the point. When I go on holiday I like to have a choice, I may or may not drink but I like the choice to be mine.

I don't expect the Thai people to change their ways for me, but as I said I'd be a bit disappointed almost in the sense of wanting what I can't have.

No I didn't miss the point. You can still do what every one else who has to have it or might want to have it does buy before they close the sales down.

Christ half of you people would have never made it where I grew up in Washington state. Saturday night and no more sales and that included Sunday. We just planed ahead. it wasn't rocket science.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. There are 5 options available during these periods:

1. Pre-purchase whatever your poison of choice is.

2. Down many sois are the mom & pop stores which sell booze as long as they are open.

3. Go to a major hotel and visit their bar.

4. Visit a farang pub and many of them will sever up in paper cups.

5. Abstain.

I had to google number 5...
  • Like 2

Am I the only one really living in Thailand? Most 'mom n pop' stores will sell alcohol, and so will many 'bars.' Of course, you may have to drink your beer out of a coffee cup.

I prefer to go to Monkey, Warm Up, Riverside, Goodview, and various other places. These places will comply with the law.

I know where I can get alcohol, and I am not even upset about not drinking, it's the fact that I can't socialize out at the places I want to on the days I would have off.

No I didn't miss the point. You can still do what every one else who has to have it or might want to have it does buy before they close the sales down.

Christ half of you people would have never made it where I grew up in Washington state. Saturday night and no more sales and that included Sunday. We just planed ahead. it wasn't rocket science.

You clearly did miss the point. I'm on holiday you silly bugger, I don't want to go buying cans in a supermarket in case I feel like a beer later on.

I like to go for a walk around, finding areas I'm not familiar with, go for a meal, etc. I don't intend on finding a nice restaurant and then getting four cans out of a bag. cheesy.gif

Your idea of buying beforehand is great if it's just about getting p!ssed and making sure I have a beer, my point was I like to be able to choose.

As for me not making it in Washington State, maybe there is a god after all. wink.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You clearly did miss the point. I'm on holiday you silly bugger, I don't want to go buying cans in a supermarket in case I feel like a beer later on.

I like to go for a walk around, finding areas I'm not familiar with, go for a meal, etc. I don't intend on finding a nice restaurant and then getting four cans out of a bag. cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif>

Your idea of buying beforehand is great if it's just about getting p!ssed and making sure I have a beer, my point was I like to be able to choose.

As for me not making it in Washington State, maybe there is a god after all. wink.png

Save your breath. It's pointless arguing with someone who is always right.

• Like 1

Well its just fkin ridiculous to do that to tourists when it has nothing to do with them what they should do is allow foreigners to drink and enjoy themselves and apply it to thais only.

Pretty easy for the cops to do what they do and target thais drinking

Yes,i agree,one law for Thais and one for tourists and farangs expats.They apply it elsewhere so why not in liquor laws.I am sure the Thais would love to see farangs getting hammered and they can't get served.Drinking aparthaid .

Why are so many people not able to be social drinkers? Look at the people who cannot even sit on a plane for 12 hours without alcohol. I am so glad I never started.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would you want to sit on a plane for 12 hours without alcohol?? It is one of the only times that it is free flowing, I paid enough for the flight, I will make the most of it. Also makes the 12 hours go a lot quicker.

I did not know it was free flowing, that must be in business class. I wish orange juice was free flowing in economy class.

So if I was to travel business class, I would be subsidising all the drinkers. Something not right there.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wish that the OP would quote the source of his information. As far as I can find out there are no elections in BKK this weekend

A six-hour meeting was convened by the EC on 7 February and EC member Somchai explained afterwards that if elections are to be held in the 28 constituencies in which candidate have not been able to register for polls, a written royal decree from the government is necessary. The meeting unanimously decided to seek such a decree from the government and the EC believes that it can hold new elections in the five provinces of Rayong, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Petchaburi without difficulty. However, Somchai stated: “We are not quite sure if new elections could be successfully held in Prachuap Khiri Khan and Satun which have 222 and 300 polling stations, respectively.", but added that the EC would reassess the situation again on 11 February 2014. EC secretary general Puchong Nutrawong said the EC has scheduled candidacy registration for 4–8 March, 23 March for advance election and 30 March for Senate election

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2014

http://thaifinancialpost.com/2014/03/15/security-team-is-set-to-ensure-safety-during-upcoming-yala-senatorial-election/

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Four-Saturday-night-Phuket-booze-bans-in-sight-as-elections-loom-25594.html

This is the kicker....cheesy.gif

Four Saturday night Phuket booze bans in sight as elections loom
Phuket Gazette - Friday, February 14, 2014 2:41:10 PM
phuketnews_2014214135847320_otFYobAQpnLV
PEC Director Kittipong Thiengkunakrit announces four more booze bans corresponding with scheduled election days. Photo: Saran Mitrarat
PHUKETarrow-10x10.png: Phuket will see four Saturday night alcohol bans in coming months, as polls open for senator and MP selection in March and April.

The four dates selected for voting, March 23 and 30 for the senator election and April 20 and 27 for the MP election, fall on Sundays. In accordance with the law, alcohol bans will begin at 6pm the night before and extend to midnight on the day of the election.

Anti-government protesters managed to shut down national elections in Phuketarrow-10x10.png and elsewhere in Southern Thailand on February 1 (story here).

With that in mind, Phuketarrow-10x10.png Election Commission (PEC) Director Kittipong Thiengkunakrit encouraged protesters not to boycott the senatorial election, noting that candidates do not register with a party affiliation.

“I personally believe the election would represent the kind of reform protesters are after, since the candidates don’t register under a specific party,” he said.

Mr Kittipong said he had no inkling as to whether protesters would mobilize to block the vote.

“We are following the protest situation one day at a time. Protesters have yet to mention the senator election. However, if circumstances change, we will have to discuss a plan of action,” he said.

Senators’ terms end on March 3 and the PEC will accept candidate registrations from March 4 to March 8 at thePhuketarrow-10x10.png Community Hall. So far, five people have expressed interest in enrolling as candidates, Mr Kittipong said.

Advance voting in the senatorial election will be on March 23, and the election itself on March 30.

As for the MP election, there will be only one candidate, Mr Kittipong said.

Jirayos Songyos of the Pheu Thai party was the sole candidate to successfully navigate the blockade by anti-government protesters during MP enrollment in December (story here).

No new candidates will be allowed to register in Phuket.

“We will not re-open candidate registration. According to election law, if we re-open registration, the previous election would be void, which means we would be forced to have a new national election,” said Mr Kittipong.

Mr Jirayos is registered in District 2; District 1 has no candidates. Residents of District 1 will receive only a party list ballot, while those in District 2 will get both the party list and MP candidate ballots.

“The Election Commission (EC) headquarters in Bangkok will decide what to do with District 1, as it has no candidates,” he said.

Advance voting for the MP election will take place on April 20, and the election itself will be on April 27.

Why would you want to sit on a plane for 12 hours without alcohol?? It is one of the only times that it is free flowing, I paid enough for the flight, I will make the most of it. Also makes the 12 hours go a lot quicker.

I did not know it was free flowing, that must be in business class. I wish orange juice was free flowing in economy class.

So if I was to travel business class, I would be subsidising all the drinkers. Something not right there.

For most airlines it flows freely in eco just fine on international flights. Especially Asian airlines are quite liberal with the booze.

Which is good, as it helps you sleep.

Where Biz class is different is the lounge access. That's where you can get an incredible head-start. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I wish that the OP would quote the source of his information. As far as I can find out there are no elections in BKK this weekend

a) This IS the Chiang Mai Forum!

cool.png I believe the Senate elections are country wide but they are definately planned (at this moment)for CM this and next weekend.

c) The law is the law but TIT

For most airlines it flows freely in eco just fine on international flights. Especially Asian airlines are quite liberal with the booze.

Where Biz class is different is the lounge access. That's where you can get an incredible head-start. wink.png

Are you talking about Air Asia?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Where Biz class is different is the lounge access. That's where you can get an incredible head-start. ;)

If you wanna get completely trousered while flying cattle class I recommend priority pass and a couple of vali's...

Am I the only one really living in Thailand? Most 'mom n pop' stores will sell alcohol, and so will many 'bars.' Of course, you may have to drink your beer out of a coffee cup.

I prefer to go to Monkey, Warm Up, Riverside, Goodview, and various other places. These places will comply with the law.

I know where I can get alcohol, and I am not even upset about not drinking, it's the fact that I can't socialize out at the places I want to on the days I would have off.

Unless you socialize with the place, the people will probably be sipping beer from a cup at those other places.

Oh geesh MAJOR CATASTROPHE!

If you are being informed well in advance, then you can prepare...whats the problem?

Yes I agree, MAJOR MAJOR CATASPHORE, one of which we haven't seen the likes of before. QUICKLY, someone call the hospital before the OP gets a case of the old Shakeroos

Which is great is you have a 'mom n Pop" store nearby which few tourists will....

These threads bring out some of the really "holier/Thai-er than thou' posters on the forum - the "if you can't handle a few days without a drink" then stay home" merchants/prats...makes it pretty clear who don't wear the pants in their houses and whose wives don't let them go out too much...

Ignoring their pointless posts...yup, indeed this is a fine case of Thailand showing itself to be stuck in some preposterous archaic mindset where a handful of stuffed shirts feel the need to sit on the population while they get bollocksed in their Ivory Towers....

For those who claim this won't harm tourism, I suggest you ask some tourists over the coming weekends as they wander around their respective destinations trying to find a bit of night life to (God forbid) enjoy on their holidays and share your 'wisdom' with them Suradit....I doubt Thailand will be high on their list of places to return to next holiday....

Which is great is you have a 'mom n Pop" store nearby which few tourists will....

These threads bring out some of the really "holier/Thai-er than thou' posters on the forum - the "if you can't handle a few days without a drink" then stay home" merchants/prats...makes it pretty clear who don't wear the pants in their houses and whose wives don't let them go out too much...

Ignoring their pointless posts...yup, indeed this is a fine case of Thailand showing itself to be stuck in some preposterous archaic mindset where a handful of stuffed shirts feel the need to sit on the population while they get bollocksed in their Ivory Towers....

For those who claim this won't harm tourism, I suggest you ask some tourists over the coming weekends as they wander around their respective destinations trying to find a bit of night life to (God forbid) enjoy on their holidays and share your 'wisdom' with them Suradit....I doubt Thailand will be high on their list of places to return to next holiday....

Sometimes museums are closed for renovations, historic buildings are covered with scaffolding for repairs, parks and businesses close for unexpected holidays, and alcohol sales are banned for elections. This isn't just in Thailand, it's everywhere. Most tourists accept that these things happen. In the case of alcohol bans its an easy inconvenience to plan for in advance, get around if caught by surprise, or live with. It does put a damper on nightlife, but Chiang Mai isn't a top nightlife destination.