Human rights organization urges Thai govt to abolish death penalty

webfact

I think the Government should abolish human rights organisations. i wonder how these people would feel if their own 3 year old daughter was raped ,beaten and murdered or if their whole family was massacred by some crazed serial killer. The death penalty should remain on the books and used if the crime warrants it. there have been many confessions to crimes when people are given the choice....tell the truth and serve life or if you are found guilty you will receive the death penalty

It would be more helpful if Human Rights organisations abolished governments.

And I wonder how you would feel if you were accused, tried and found guilty of the above when you were completely innocent. It has happened and will happen again that innocent people are slaughtered by a state.

Besides, if the death penalty is such a good deterrent, why is there still murder?

• Like 1

I think the death sentence should be carried out more often. Execute anybody that cannot live peacefully live in a normal society.

Please would you define "normal". Thank you

Wirat69, You hit the nail on the head.

For some people, it is normal to live in a society with things like rampant corruption, abuse of power, and disrespect of law at all levels; or submission to a particular religion, cult or organization. For other people that is abnormal, and they try to change it.

Edited by MGP
  • Like 1

These days Thailand doesn't take execution lightly. It has been used very sparingly in the last 20 years.

In fact 99% of death sentences handed out are commuted to life in prison. Some are commuted to life almost immediately if the individual admits guilt at trial. Even serial killers, men that have raped and killed children and drug kingpins.

I think Thailand has got it right when it comes to capital punishment. Only carrying it out on the most unsavory criminals that deny guilt and go to extreme lengths to conceal their crimes. In most cases by trying to 'fit others up' for the crime that they committed.

Trying to dump a death penalty on somebody else for something they did themselves shows an individual of extreme cunning that has no remorse,

Thailand Death Penalty Statistics : 25th February 2014

Some statistics on death penalties handed out /gender/ crime.

http://deathpenaltythailand.blogspot.com/

I think the Government should abolish human rights organisations. i wonder how these people would feel if their own 3 year old daughter was raped ,beaten and murdered or if their whole family was massacred by some crazed serial killer. The death penalty should remain on the books and used if the crime warrants it. there have been many confessions to crimes when people are given the choice....tell the truth and serve life or if you are found guilty you will receive the death penalty

Last week was the 10th anniversary of the enforced disappearance of Somchai Neelapaijit by corrupt and as yet unpunished Thai police officers. There is no clear evidence of what happened to him. His wife started her own human rights organization, the Justice for Peace Foundation, to campaign for information on his fate and, after discovering many similar cases, to call for changes in the legal and law enforcement system to ensure justice in these cases. But you think the government should abolish this organization and deprive the families of the disappeared any opportunity to find out what has happened to them. I suggest you talk to the families of victims to see if you still think their voices should be silenced.

You also mention confessions and seem to argue that the death penalty is appropriate in cases where there is a confession. You therefore think that confessions in this country and others that have retained the death penalty are never obtained illegally. I suggest you talk to people who have been detained in prisons, police stations and army bases to see if you still think that all confessions are valid.

Last week was the 10th anniversary of the enforced disappearance of Somchai Neelapaijit by corrupt and as yet unpunished Thai police officers. There is no clear evidence of what happened to him. His wife started her own human rights organization, the Justice for Peace Foundation, to campaign for information on his fate and, after discovering many similar cases, to call for changes in the legal and law enforcement system to ensure justice in these cases. But you think the government should abolish this organization and deprive the families of the disappeared any opportunity to find out what has happened to them. I suggest you talk to the families of victims to see if you still think their voices should be silenced.

You also mention confessions and seem to argue that the death penalty is appropriate in cases where there is a confession. You therefore think that confessions in this country and others that have retained the death penalty are never obtained illegally. I suggest you talk to people who have been detained in prisons, police stations and army bases to see if you still think that all confessions are valid.

The way to get changes in the Law is to 1.talk to your local politician for a start.2.To find someone.... File missing persons reports . 3. Ten years and this foundation has proved useless in acheiving anything.

Yes !! i have spoken to the wife of my friend who was murdered (money involved) and she was charged...she willingly copped jail time instead of the death penalty....have you talked to anyone ???

The way to get changes in the Law is to 1.talk to your local politician for a start.2.To find someone.... File missing persons reports . 3. Ten years and this foundation has proved useless in acheiving anything.

Yes !! i have spoken to the wife of my friend who was murdered (money involved) and she was charged...she willingly copped jail time instead of the death penalty....have you talked to anyone ???

If you read Angkhana Neelapaijit's book, Between the Lines, you will learn that she has spoken to politicians of all parties and at all levels up to ministerial level. A missing person's report is unnecessary in the case of her husband since 5 police officers were put on trial (for 'coercion', since enforced disappearance is not a crime in Thailand) and all were acquitted after trials that rejected much of the relevant evidence. Since she established her human rights organization, Thailand has signed the UN Convention on Enforced Disappearance but not yet ratified it (which would require changes in the law, which numerous politicians have said they would introduce, but have not yet done so). She has also personally intervened in numerous cases of illegal detention, especially in the south. I do not know what evidence you have for saying that the Foundation is 'useless'.

I suggested that you might talk to the families of the victims of enforced disappearances or people who have been detained (and I have done both). You instead talk of speaking to the wife of a murder victim. This is not the same thing and I do not see how this contributes to the discussion about whether human rights organizations should be abolished or whether confessions can be assumed to be genuine.

• Like 1

With poor law enforcement, the dead penalty is often the only tool that might scare murderers.

Yeah as we can see it works pretty well in US....cheesy.gif
Quite clearly as most murders are not premeditated, though rather spur of the moment....The US is one of the most barbaric democracies on the planet.. IMO of course...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Quite clearly you don't understand the definition of murder, particularly in the first degree, and what the prosecution must prove to a jury to convict someone of it (in the US, that most "barbaric" of democracies, anyway). So thankfully, the above IS in fact just your (entirely uninformed) opinion...

In whIch countries do they consider their two thirds.

Almost every nation in the world has the death penalty for crimes where there was premeditated murder commited.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Almost every nation in the world" ...

... would exclude the whole of the EU (*) and every aspiring state, Russia and every single of its satellite states (**), south and middle America, Canada, and more states otherwise than I care to mention.

Most executions take place in China, Iran, and the US. Great company, even discounting North Korea where nobody knows what's happening..

(*) Andorra and Lichtenstein have it as a bit of an oversight but the last executions dated back in the 1700 somethings

(like the UK where they hurried to abolish some provision calling for the hanging of the riding teacher of the Duchess of York in 2001)

(**) Mongolia has the death penalty, only the President uses his power of pardon in each and every single case, regardless of what