My fridge heats up the whole room!

Daffy D

This may sound daft but make sure the compressor works for as short a time as possible. The only way to run any fridge is full. If you are trying to cool an empty fridge the compressors will be running for a long period of time causing the problems you have mentioned. If you unable to fill the fridge then use polystyrene blocks, as an example, to fill up the empty spaces. Is any of it iced up? It takes energy to keep that ice. As others have said check the door seals. There has to be a reason why your compressor appears to be running a long time.

"The only way to run any fridge is full."

Tis daft.

Not nec. to fill fridge with foam, just open door for as short a time as possible.

Is comp running continuously? Then thermostat may be crook. Put a thermometer in the fridge - fridge part should be just above freezing - 0 - 5°C. Or defrost timer may be stuck to on - but thermostat should override it.

A power meter can give you some useful information such as power and energy consumption.

There may be a circuit diagram inside the lower back panel, covering the compressor.

Stuart21

Is comp running continuously? Then thermostat may be crook. Put a thermometer in the fridge - fridge part should be just above freezing - 0 - 5°C. Or defrost timer may be stuck to on - but thermostat should override it.

"The fridge is generally in good working order. The doors close properly and the magnetic strips make a good seal. It comes on and goes off like it should and hardly makes a sound."

smile.png

This may sound daft but make sure the compressor works for as short a time as possible. The only way to run any fridge is full. If you are trying to cool an empty fridge the compressors will be running for a long period of time causing the problems you have mentioned. If you unable to fill the fridge then use polystyrene blocks, as an example, to fill up the empty spaces. Is any of it iced up? It takes energy to keep that ice. As others have said check the door seals. There has to be a reason why your compressor appears to be running a long time.

"The only way to run any fridge is full."

Tis daft.

Not nec. to fill fridge with foam, just open door for as short a time as possible.

A power meter can give you some useful information such as power and energy consumption.

There may be a circuit diagram inside the lower back panel, covering the compressor.

I suggest you try it, an empty fridge will consume more electricity. Why do you say leave the door open for as short as possible..............Because you are trying to cool a much bigger area, hence, make the area smaller. I said it might sound daft, I didn't say it was.

I suggest you try it, an empty fridge will consume more electricity. Why do you say leave the door open for as short as possible..............Because you are trying to cool a much bigger area, hence, make the area smaller. I said it might sound daft, I didn't say it was.

It sounds daft because it is daft.

please yourself but if you are trying to cool a space, which is easier to cool, a large empty space or a smaller empty space?

Edited by Dellboy218

As another member mentioned, it could be a faulty timer for the frost freeze part of the system, if it is a frost freeze frig. That is what happened with my 15 year old unit as I noticed the side walls toward the top were getting very hot. The timer was replaced for a few hundred Baht.

Ours is just a normal size, two doors with freezer above the fridge section.

There is no timer only a temp control that is set about midway. The top section of the side panels do get hotter than the rest but I would put that down to heat rising within the panels.

Just to clarify, you will not see the timer as it is internal to the refrigerator components.

please yourself but if you are trying to cool a space, which is easier to cool, a large empty space or a smaller empty space?

please yourself but if you are trying to cool a space, which is easier to cool, a large empty space or a smaller empty space? Or to put it another way If you are trying to cool a room which takes less energy to cool a small room or a large room? Reduce the space to cool you save energy, common sense pal!

When you open the door of an empty fridge, all the cold air rushes out, and you have to start again.

When you open the door of a full fridge, only a little bit of cold air escapes, less new warm air to cool down.

Tywais - Just to clarify, you will not see the timer as it is internal to the refrigerator components.

Ah! Didn't know there was such a thing. blink.png

Have watched some YouTubes on the subject and will and check it out.

Cheers smile.png

The evap coils get hotter the harder it works.Patsycat is right on-clean the coils and detox the drip tray.(they can generate smell when wet and warm)

After that..

A walk in costs 6k usd +/-

There will be a comment soon to leave the door open...

Leave the door open.

Had the same on my old samsung. The defrost timer (which I located at the bottom rear of the fridge) gears were shot causing it to run too fast and run the frost free cycle far too often. Fitted a new one and was ok. Another problem I had with it was the doof seals had become partly detached from the door.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have insulated my new fridge further with the solar reflective insulation foam. Just 5mm thick, allows any warmth to dissipate at its leisure and keeps the fridge body cool from the surrounding air temp or sun from the windows.

Just the back and the top though......otherwise my fridge would look like r2d2

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. You want cold, you get heat.....whistling.gif

Very true, just thought that in the last decade or so there might be a more efficient way to get cold but produce less heat wink.png

Just trying lower my contribution to global warming biggrin.png

I have insulated my new fridge further with the solar reflective insulation foam. Just 5mm thick, allows any warmth to dissipate at its leisure and keeps the fridge body cool from the surrounding air temp or sun from the windows.

Just the back and the top though......otherwise my fridge would look like r2d2

My fridge does not get hot at the back just the top and sides.

The heat does need to radiate out so while the insulation foam would stop the fridge from feeling hot I'm not sure it would be best for the fridge efficiency blink.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just get a new fridge. We had a 10 year old whirlpool that was a great refrigerator but it was getting old & creating a ton of heat . We replaced with a new Mitsubishi & were surprised at saving 505-600 baht a month on the refrigerator's electricity use. The new fridge not only is way colder & is super easy to take care of instead of the old boat anchor we were using. A lot changes in refrigerators in 10 years with regards to efficiency. Our is a non inverter. We decided on the non inverter doing the math on the savings & came up with about 10 years to use before the significant savings made it worth it. I think our Esteemed Naam posted the math on the inverter type compared to the non inverter type. Some things are economically better but I believe from the data unless you keep a fridge over 10 years it may not be worth the extra 6,000 10,000 baht more. Before you buy a new one look at customer complaints. In the U.S. Samsung rates very low due to recalls from the seal on the doors. We were going to get a side by side Samsung & were turned off to hearing the complaints about the product in the U.S. where the codes are much stricter & laws are enforced to protect buyers. Their TV's & phones are awesome . But seriously 10 years old is a dinosaur for refrigerators. Kinda like when you were a kid & you would drive till the radials had tread & metal poking through the Maypops. It really does not pay to run a fridge till it is dead & it is hot enough here in LOS without adding extra degrees to the rooms in your house. Some investments are well worth it. I get bored of looking at the same old appliance & like to change up the look of the kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...

Fridges & Air conditioners are the one investment that really pays off in the long run. My Mom had a 34 year old 50's style fridge that worked great but sucked up copius amounts of electricity & was a hideous olive-drab green. Back in the 80's I went back to visit her & bought her a brand new fridge just so I didn't have to look at the beast. Boy was it out of style- but in the oldies defence they really were built to last. But nowadays the technology gets so mauch better about every 4 years the newer stuff just really out preforms their predecessors.