Tropical storm ravages homes in Chaiyaphum

webfact

Tropical storm ravages homes in Chaiyaphum

3-19-2014-12-41-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 100 homes in Ban Kwao district of Chaiyaphum province were damaged when a tropical storm struck two villages for half an hour last night.

Hard-hit by the storm are Ban Nongchanthi and Ban Luppo villages in Tambon Talad Laeng.

The storm knocked down several power poles, trees, damaged and blown off roofs of more than 100 homes. The entire Ban Kwao town was blacked out after the storm.

More than 150 relief officials from several private and government agencies went to the two villages reporting difficult access as fallen trees blocked road along a kilometer stretch of the Chaiyaphum-Ban Kwao which is a major road connecting the Asian highway from Chaiyuaphum to Nakhon Sawan.

The fallen trees and power poles lying along the stretch shut down traffic on the road for more than two hours last night.

However by late this morning the road has reported to be back to service again when all debris was removed.

A resident Mrs Pranom Noivises, 53, said she never experienced such a worst storm in her life. She recalled there was not much rain first and then suddenly a big storm came and lashed the village for almost half an hour.

The storm brought down the four-room furniture factory and blown away its roof, causing damages to all furniture inside and a pickup truck.

Damage was estimated at over a million baht, she said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tropical-storm-ravages-homes-chaiyaphum/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-19

I witnessed one of these wind storms a few years ago outside of Korat. It did plenty of damage in a very short period of time. Our house was spared by the house next door was not too lucky as a tree landed on the roof.

It's been bloody hot around Ubon Sisaket the past week or so,all I can say is bring on the storms as long as it cools the place down

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by hazman

Something hit Nong Khai also about an hour ago. Lasted for about half an hour. Strong, gusty winds which picked up dirt and dust, and became partially a real sandstorm. I was outside and saw a treevfall on the road and some street vendors lost electricity - they and to gather their pots and pans in the dark. Some damage to street posts and signs, and some roofs and such. Only a couple of drops of rain.

When getting back inside, had to put all my clothes in the laundry bin and take a shower - sand and dust everywhere.

Same storm?

Something hit Khon Kaen earlier today, but just small. However, the wind gusts were large enough for me to do a walk around of the yard, and pull anything loose inside (brooms, plastic container, garden gnomes, etc.). Never got really bad here though, and only lasted about 15 mins.

I'm guessing somewhere like Chaiyaphum is getting hit hard today again as well? We're getting it over here at the moment, but the same fierceness as yesterday, so nothing horrible.

Have to admit, I am somewhat sitting here, waiting for a tree to come through the window any time now.

Edited by Nautilus05