Is the exchange rate much different at Suvarnabhumi Airport?

This probably been asked a million times on here before so i apologise, had quick search with no joy so ..

arriving from UK with small amount of holiday cash, say £1000 tops to exchange, is the rate much better in Bangkok itself ?

ideally i would like to arrive and change it all in Airport and just get on with my holiday .. i cant see me saving much money by searching for better rate but i told my partner i would at least find out for sure,

any help appreciated ?

thanks

• Like 1

The rates offered in the airport are poor. Only change what you have to at the airport and wait until you get in town. Best rate at TT Exchange.

I figured they would not be the best rate, always try to sting you at the airport, just thought the savings on a £1000 would not be that much,

can see the wife marching me around BKK looking for good rate sad.png

anyone have idea of difference in rate ? please ..... like roughly ?

I think you would get about 3 baht less to the pound, so that's 3000 baht. It's not a vast amount of money and nearly all airports do it, but that's 2 months rent for some Thais. Don't feed the big banks and greedy airport operators. Clearly it's up to you.

SuperRich and Vasu (although I have never tried Vasu) seem to give some of the best exchange rates.

If you are holidaying in BKK anyway, it might be worth checking out their rates online. I think SuperRich even have an iOS app where you can check their rates.

I normally use their shop in the soi at side of Big C opposite Cenrtal World Plaza. about 50metres down on left hand side.

The rates offered in the airport are poor. Only change what you have to at the airport and wait until you get in town. Best rate at TT Exchange.

I figured they would not be the best rate, always try to sting you at the airport, just thought the savings on a £1000 would not be that much,

can see the wife marching me around BKK looking for good rate sad.png

anyone have idea of difference in rate ? please ..... like roughly ?

Check some of the most competitive rates in BKK here - http://www.superrichthailand.com/new/exchange.html

and here - http://www.superrich1965.com/

Note they have similar names but are different businesses

and an example of one of the big banks rates here - http://www.scb.co.th/scb_api/index.jsp (not saying it is the best but just as an example. All the big banks post their forex rates online)

The rates are about 4 percent worse than outside (own observation/calculation).

Its a mafia style arrangement, all booths have identical rates (whatever bank they belong to).

If you have the need to change a reasonable amount at the airport:

go down to the lowest level where the rail-link is situated.

There you find a K-Bank exchange booth, which has "regular" exchange rates (same like K-Bank outside airport).

(not open 24h, forgot opening hours)

The rail-link level is not covered by the Suv. mafia ripoff arrangements.

Seems to be administered by the state railway, so not part of the airport (legally).

Now that's an answer smile.png

All i want is a decent rate, really did not want any fuss so bottom floor it is , thank you very much for that

unrelated question but am i still able to go up to top floor and grab a taxi that is dropping people off at arrivals ? just found they bit cheaper

Its a mafia style arrangement, all booths have identical rates (whatever bank they belong to).

There you find a K-Bank exchange booth, which has "regular" exchange rates (same like K-Bank outside airport).

Seems to be administered by the state railway, so not part of the airport (legally).

All i want is a decent rate, really did not want any fuss so bottom floor it is , thank you very much for that

unrelated question but am i still able to go up to top floor and grab a taxi that is dropping people off at arrivals ? just found they bit cheaper

No they are not. They will try and charge the 50 baht airport surcharge.We we travel to Bangkok we use the train service, I suppose it does depend where you are staying.

For the avoidance of doubt, what ripstanley is saying is that they have put up security gates with one-way rotating entry gates to specifically prevent travelers going out to the incoming taxis at Swampy on level 4. Shame, but understandable that they want to maximise their returns on airport investment (now there's a capitalist ba$tewerd talking!). Given how cheap, by international standards, the taxi service is even when 50 baht is added it seems churlish to complain.

The taxi lines at the lower level (level 2?) aren't that bad unless you are unlucky in hitting a rush time. I use the train (if I am going into central BKK) too.

You say it is holiday money....are you sure you're gonna spend it all ? Going from THB back to ponds is again at a loss.

If you have a smartphone with internet you can check this site and see the differences while you wait at the airport:

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

The banksters/exchangers have bad rates at other airports too ( and worse) , it's not a thai thing.

Edited by BuaBS

SuperRich and Vasu (although I have never tried Vasu) seem to give some of the best exchange rates.

If you are holidaying in BKK anyway, it might be worth checking out their rates online. I think SuperRich even have an iOS app where you can check their rates.

I normally use their shop in the soi at side of Big C opposite Cenrtal World Plaza. about 50metres down on left hand side.

buying rates at vasu were about .1 baht better USD than the rates quoted on super rich website just before i went last time i changed a sizable amount of cash, but they fluctuate with the markets in both places.

arriving from UK with small amount of holiday cash, say £1000 tops to exchange, is the rate much better in Bangkok itself ?

Being regulars to LOS we always arrive with at least three thousand baht [put aside from previous holiday] to cover taxi to Don Mueang and taxi at other end and food if we have time to stop. Something to consider if you're planning on coming again in the near future.

The best rates I've come across in LOS are in Pattaya, of all places.

If you're only changing £1000 then not going to save a lot traipsing about Bangkok, though I wouldn't take the airport rate unless I needed enough for a taxi fare, food and a few beers..

A good question, on my previous trips i would carry about $150 US and look at exchange rates wherever i went,, the funny thing was that i got the best rate at MBK not at the bank but a small booth beside the escalators,,,, so i used to go there all the time, also the airport did give me a good rate, upstairs beside Thai Airlines (Sawanathing airport) i would recommend looking out at every change booth and keeping an eye open as they change their exchange rates all the time to out do each other, so we must be the winners as they don't keep the rates the same for long.

As stated, airport FX rates are robbery by around 1.0 to 1.5 baht I remember from last month.

Repeat visitors should always have some baht (10k or whatever) in cash for immediate essentials and should have opened an account where they can benefit from the very best rates.

If you go the Superich route they give a better rate for £50 notes, but make sure they are all

perfect, no tears or writing or

they wont (no will any other bank)

accept them.

That is right.

I use the booths at the Arab area of Sukhumvit Soi 5 or 7 I think, next to Gullivers. Same for 50s and they don't worry if they are marked.

Jb1

TT in Pattaya and Vasu in Bangkok have the best rates. I never change at the airport. Always carry enough from the last trip to get me out

of the airport to Pattaya or BKK.

No more cab access on the 4th floor. The last time I tried it, there were roadblocks and guards posted every 50 meters stopping people

from going out to the cab drop-off lane.

I know for sure, The airport rates are around 7-10% less than you would get at the exchanges in the town if you need a couple thousand baht just change a hundred pound mate. At the moment at the outside banks currency exchanges you will get 53 to the pound at the airport you will get around 50.5. You will save enough for a couple nights out.

In the airport there is a branch of Bangkok Bank. Their exchange rate is standard in all branches. Look out for the sign

120px-LOGO_BBL_Eng.JPG

http://www.worldairportguides.com/bangkok-bkk/terminals.php

There are three banks in the airport. The Thai Military Bank is located on the ground floor of Central Block, the Bangkok Bank is located on the 2nd floor of Terminal 2 and the Krung Thai Bank is located on the 2nd floor of Terminal 1.

Banks offer ATMs and currency exchange counters in the arrivals and departures halls of Terminal 1, Terminal 2 and the Domestic Terminal. There are also currency exchange bureaux and currency vending machines in the same areas.

Good site, yes.

But I guess you will not find the exchange rates of the airport booths in the internet.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Some statements saying they got a better rate at this or that boot at Suvarnabhumi:

I doubt it or something has changed during the last year?

All booths within the terminal building have the same bad rate.

Unchanged for more than a decade (same before at Don Mueang).

Edited by KhunBENQ

FYI: I book the arrival time to Bkk airport at 11:45pm this is a good time as traffic is no-existence..as compared to mid day arrival...and sleeping is easy as it is night time...regarding a taxi read below...

Yes on arrival in Bkk I usually take my bags to upper level on departures knowing that the shuttle is a rip-off and one has to "Q" inline with the Cattle passengers many have too much luggage.

I see other season travelers do the same, once outside you maybe stopped by the mafia police wanting you to go down stairs and get in "Q"...the secret I will revel ... say "Oh I forgot my passport at hotel...or even better say I forgot my wife! ...give a look of panic! and hurry by him and see if you can spot a taxi driver unloading a passenger arriving. Ask him if he is available to take you once you see he is unloaded his fare...if yes......priceless...the taxi driver does not have to go back to "Q" in arrival area...he has his ride NOW...if you speak Thai befriend him in casual talk...a good place to stay I have for many years is Bangkok Interplace only 200 baht max from airport..it is located on Ramkamhange University area Soi 24. Great rates $35 includes two breakfast, has SCB Bank access door so you have security if you take money out...has travel agent and restaurant inside. Oh yes bath tub with hot water...and swimming pool and bar atop of the 12 story building..oh be sure to get the EAST side of hotel, a lot quieter...good travels to you...Mr. Ron

On the US$ you can go to Sukhumvit Money Exchange places(not banks now) and get about 60 stang a dollar more. On $10,000 that B6000 so well worth it. I think you would get B500 to 800 more on your pounds in town vs bank.