Dating with a disability in Thailand

wespat34

I'm new here guys and would like anyone's advice on the chance I have dating a Thai girl when I have a physical disability . I am 47 and not ugly , have a limp but get around ok .

I have spent a fair bit of the last eight years visiting Koh Samui . I may be looking in the wrong places but I have found the women to be stand off ish when I am attempting to date some if the women here . Often treating me differently as soon as they see me get off my bike and walk . Do you think it's a common occurrence here or is it my imagination. ? Not sure how to solve this as I do want to settle full time here one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I know a bloke who had a short arm disability. He compensated for it by teaching himself quite fluent Thai language and went for Thai women with no English skills. When he secured a chick to become his GF (he had a couple in succession), he would not teach them any English, so preventing them from swapping him for a disability free foreigner.

• Like 1

I know a bloke who had a short arm disability. He compensated for it by teaching himself quite fluent Thai language and went for Thai women with no English skills. When he secured a chick to become his GF (he had a couple in succession), he would not teach them any English, so preventing them from swapping him for a disability free foreigner.

All is fair in love and war. tongue.png

They'll still move on anyway, if you insist on good-looking young ones anyway, (part of) the price you pay.

But sure if you don't mind mostly transactional relationships, you'll get excellent value for your money here.

You may even find yourself in a genuinely loving long-term relationship, no matter how it starts out, they don't call it Amazing Thailand for nothing.

But do make sure you don't run out of money, or return home long before you do. . .

"I know a bloke who had a short arm disability" ----somchaismith

Is that the disability that comes with long pockets?---yes I have also known many ex-pats with this disability . Although usually its known by a different term in Thailand.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 2

"I know a bloke who had a short arm disability" ----somchaismith

Is that the disability that comes with long pockets?---yes I have also known many ex-pats with this disability . Although usually its known by a different term in Thailand.

Regarding both the ailments, ones a birth defect and the other's brought upon us by fate. The solution which I previously mentioned was for the former. Though it does seem that it could be applied with success in either case.

mate, my spine is ratsh*t and I suffer sciatica pretty well all the time, the genuine ones are out there, you just have to find one, I did. You just have to decide what you want, straight out sex or a fair dinkum relationship, you wont get the second one hanging around bars, just girls that only see the colour of your money. Look outside the tourist hangouts, more chances of finding a good one.

I agree 100 %

I found one, but I think she is blind

Im fat and poor but she loves me for me, not my bank balance

• Like 2

I had a stroke so I limp a bit and my arm is also affected, so far I find it's not an issue, there are plenty of women who like and want a happy, kind, positive and smiling man, be that and the world is your lobster.

I had a stroke so I limp a bit and my arm is also affected, so far I find it's not an issue, there are plenty of women who like and want a happy, kind, positive and smiling man, be that and the world is your lobster.

well said !!

see my post here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/712088-what-foreigners-dont-get-about-thai-girls/#entry7581074

especially after the women here know your not just a tourist and plan on sticking around, its is pretty easy to pick up a decent women here that will care for you beyond what you could imagine. just make yourself avaiable, smile, and when you talk with women here be sure to use a bit of Thai and show your intent to stay in the country.

Edited by yourauntbob
  • Like 1

I have a friend who was wounded quite severely in Vietnam, and his condition has gotten worse over the last several years. He also got into legal problems with his business partner in the US, and so his financial situation has gotten worse as well. Yet he has a Thai woman who is devoted to him. My wife has spoken with her many times about their situation, and she is convinced that the woman is truly and deeply in love with the man.

• Like 2

A friend of mine has a spinal curvature. He's been in a relationship with a really nice Thai woman for the past three years and they are planning on marrying next year. He's a pensioner so doesn't have a lot of money. They seem very happy together. Keep a positive outlook on life, Thais don't like miserable people.

»I have spent a fair bit of the last eight years visiting Koh Samui . I may be looking in the wrong places but I have found the women to be stand off ish when I am attempting to date some if the women here . Often treating me differently as soon as they see me get off my bike and walk . Do you think it's a common occurrence here or is it my imagination. ? Not sure how to solve this as I do want to settle full time here one day.«

I’m sorry to say, but I would think, that Koh Samui might be a bit difficult, if you are searching for younger good-looking girls interested in a farang relationship, that island is crowded by younger handsome (not disabled) men. (I live at Koh Samui, so nothing bad said about the island).

I have heard about other disabled people complaining about dating at Samui – even in the nightlife – but I don’t know about chances elsewhere. Why not try a week’s “holiday” at some other tourist places like Hua Hin, Phuket and eventually Pattaya or…? and check if you get more attention there.

Wish you good luck. smile.png

Edited by khunPer

»I have spent a fair bit of the last eight years visiting Koh Samui . I may be looking in the wrong places but I have found the women to be stand off ish when I am attempting to date some if the women here . Often treating me differently as soon as they see me get off my bike and walk . Do you think it's a common occurrence here or is it my imagination. ? Not sure how to solve this as I do want to settle full time here one day.«
I’m sorry to say, but I would think, that Koh Samui might be a bit difficult, if you are searching for younger good-looking girls interested in a farang relationship, that island is crowded by younger handsome (not disabled) men. (I live at Koh Samui, so nothing bad said about the island).
I have heard about other disabled people complaining about dating at Samui – even in the nightlife – but I don’t know about chances elsewhere. Why not try a week’s “holiday” at some other tourist places like Hua Hin, Phuket and eventually Pattaya or…? and check if you get more attention there.

I am sorry you wrote what you did, firstly the person who posted the question has a limp, and that is quite a minor disability when looking at the big picture, he has not got half his face missing, indeed he says he is good looking, nor is he missing a whole leg or arm. I would have assumed that if you read all the replies a minor disability is not considered that important at all. I have been in Samui all winter, I am guessing I am more disabled than he, and I don't have a a problem with girls. I spent all last winter in Phuket, I had no problem there either, albeit I much prefer Samui. I was on the mainland before that, again no problem. Some Thai girls may well only want a 100% toned, 6 pack, Greek God with a single brain cell, (which is normally dead) who can't pass a mirror without looking at himself, but does our original poster want that type of girl? Would any of us? I say again, if one is positive, kind, fun, good company and happy, 95% of girls will overlook any minor disability and all too often major disabilities. On that note I have a very bad heart as well, it is mainly dead tissue after many heart attacks, I was with a girl who had a friend who I had been with, I asked her back to my place, she said she really liked me but was "worried about being in the paper if someone had a heart attack", I replied "if you die, you die" I took that line from a film, she cracked up laughing...... and I made her breakfast in the morning.

• Like 2

I am sorry you wrote what you did, firstly the person who posted the question has a limp, and that is quite a minor disability when looking at the big picture, he has not got half his face missing, indeed he says he is good looking, nor is he missing a whole leg or arm. I would have assumed that if you read all the replies a minor disability is not considered that important at all. I have been in Samui all winter, I am guessing I am more disabled than he, and I don't have a a problem with girls. I spent all last winter in Phuket, I had no problem there either, albeit I much prefer Samui. I was on the mainland before that, again no problem. Some Thai girls may well only want a 100% toned, 6 pack, Greek God with a single brain cell, (which is normally dead) who can't pass a mirror without looking at himself, but does our original poster want that type of girl? Would any of us? I say again, if one is positive, kind, fun, good company and happy, 95% of girls will overlook any minor disability and all too often major disabilities. On that note I have a very bad heart as well, it is mainly dead tissue after many heart attacks, I was with a girl who had a friend who I had been with, I asked her back to my place, she said she really liked me but was "worried about being in the paper if someone had a heart attack", I replied "if you die, you die" I took that line from a film, she cracked up laughing...... and I made her breakfast in the morning.

I sincerely apologize if I have offended somebody, that was indeed not my intention.wai.gif
I just wished to help OP in a positive way, by suggesting checking some other places and compare, since OP has a problem at Samui. Glad to learn you have no problems.

OP do you not notice the same reaction to your disability in other countries?

nowhere near as much . That's why I posted this subject . I am a positive a happy person . But definately treated a little differently in Thailand

There has been some good points on here . Thanks for all input . A common message seems to be I should be kind , confident and just do it !!! Basically !! Thanks for your input guys .

I had a friend in Sakon Nakhon who was disabled and he died last year. His GF that stayed with him for 6 years was devastated when he passed away.

BTW: They made in Pattaya but moved to Isaan five years ago.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1