AIS Prepaid 1 GB Unlimited Internet Promotion @399 per mo.

DogNo1

I got an unlimited package a couple of weeks back - 799 THB + VAT for 13 GB and throttled to 384 KB/s after the 13 GBs are finished. Not sure if it's still available, it was a promotion, but it's probably worth asking for anyone that's thinking of renewing/changing their package.

Not sure what the details are: service provider? Pre-paid? Post-paid?

AIS, along with DTAC and TrueMove H, have a lot of primarily post-paid promotions available now.

AIS has a 4 GB/799 baht post-paid data plan which offers 12 GB for the first three months, then back down to 4 GB. Published FuP is 256 Kbps. While this promotion, and most others, are targeted at new customers, there have been some reports that AIS will extend this promotion to existing 4 GB/799 baht post-paid customers, upon request.

There are also some interesting promotions for converting from pre-paid to post-paid.

Bottom line is that this is a corporation that is in business to make money.

Except for TrueMove of course. ;) They lose money year in, year out. FY2103, revenue of 35 billion baht, loss of 10.9 billion baht (TrueMove only).

Edited by lomatopo

As a farang I cannot explain in Thai to stop this.

AIS have English speaking customer service. Give them a call.

Thanks MKAsok for your advice. Meanwhile contacted them for cancellation and they promised they will do.

Still remains strange of course that they rendered this extra service I had to pay for without asking me for an approval. Assume they want to be rich quicklysmile.png

Aha! That's what the girl at the AIS shop in Central Chidlom was talking about! She mentioned that my friend now had 12 GB with his new plan. Apparently the promotion applies to prepaid plans as well. By the way, I stopped by Telewhiz in Phantip to collect the 5,000 that I had paid to have the 4 GB plan renewed when the present credit runs out and they handed it over with no problem.

Actually, with 12 GB for the first three months, you are not getting any extra bandwidth. It's just apportioned differently.

Perhaps your friend should use your gift for something other than watching YouTube.

That said, AIS and internet is an oxymoron. When they introduced these 'dongles', I had a similar issue because AIS staff were incapable of explaining what they were offering. Moreover, much of the time, it simply wouldn't connect. When we eventually got that resolved, I discovered that every time I renewed - or topped-up - my payment was rounded up to the nearest 10 baht - or greater - because here we have a mobile phone, and so-say IT, company whose systems, so they claimed, could neither cope with odd amounts, despite the fact they quoted in same amounts, nor payment by any means other than cash.

The surplus? Well that, so they claimed, went towards future usage, by way of accumulated credit. Hmm.

Thanks location and everyone else for your comments. They have been very instructive. I will be back in the AID office this afternoon to make sure that the dongle`s domestic data roaming is turned on and to try to find out more about how one goes about renewing their GB before the end of the month. I will also look into the various plans on offer at the moment although my eyes glaze over after the description of too many plans!

Sorry. This damned phone changes words that I've typed in before I post the message. I typed lomatopo and it changed the word to location after it had scrolled to the top of the screen. Just now it changed damned to dampened after I had typed off. I'll have to turn something off, I guess.

Sorry. This damned phone changes words that I've typed in before I post the message. I typed lomatopo and it changed the word to location after it had scrolled to the top of the screen. Just now it changed damned to dampened after I had typed off. I'll have to turn something off, I guess.

The AID shop at Central claims that the 799 plan with 4 GB and unlimited Internet is the best plan available at the moment and automatically allows you to use it anywhere in the country so data roaming as such has no meaning unless you want to call someplace outside of Thailand. If your GB limit runs out the only to replenish it before the end of the month is to buy a new plan. Otherwise you can connect to the Internet at a slower speed.

The AID shop at Central claims that the 799 plan with 4 GB and unlimited Internet is the best plan available at the moment and automatically allows you to use it anywhere in the country so data roaming as such has no meaning unless you want to call someplace outside of Thailand. If your GB limit runs out the only to replenish it before the end of the month is to buy a new plan. Otherwise you can connect to the Internet at a slower speed.

Now writing on my Nexus 10 which doesn't change a typed AIS into AID! Grrrr! I'm also getting messages from TV that my post is not allowed so I press my back key and post again only to find a double post. Sorry.

I will soon be buying my first smartphone for use in Thailand and was therefore very interested in this thread. Being new to the world of smartphones I would be obliged if someone could clarify the following;

Does the make of smartphone/specifications govern which 3G service provider can be used?

I note that some smartphones operate 3G on 850/2100 MHz and others operate on 900/2100 MHz.

After reading the previous posts highlighting the somewhat questionable service from some of the 3G providers I thought it prudent to ask this question before proceeding with my purchase.

Apologies for the minor high-jacking but as my question is closely related to the subject matter I trust the OP won’t mind!

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

When buying a smartphone for use in Thailand, you certainly want to be mindful of what different 3G bands (and even 4G / LTE for the future) its hardware is compatible with.

Although the three main mobile providers (AIS, DTAC and True Move H) all recently have launched and are building out 3G service on the 2100 Mhz band, they also are continuing to operate their legacy networks -- True Move and DTAC on the 850 Mhz band, and AIS on the 900 Mhz band.

So technically, you probably can get along OK with a 3G 2100 Mhz phone, moreso if you're in an urban area, perhaps less so if you're in a rural/remote area. But ideally, especially right now, it adds redundancy to have a phone that's also compatible with the legacy networks of the provider you're planning to use. TrueMove and DTAC are interchangeable in terms of compatibility with 850 Mhz 3G phones. AIS alone is on the 900 Mhz 3G band.

Of the big 3, the legacy networks of True Move and AIS have the shortest coming lifespan before supposedly those frequency bands will be re-allocated (who knows to where/what firm). But the DTAC 850 Mhz legacy 3G network has quite a few years still remaining and will run alongside its newer 2100 Mhz 3G service/band.

Meanwhile, there are fledgling efforts right now by DTAC and TrueMove H to deploy 4G services. I'm not clear on the frequency band assignments for those, and whether the longer term 4G deployments will be on those same bands or potentially others.

When buying a smartphone for use in Thailand, you certainly want to be mindful of what different 3G bands (and even 4G / LTE for the future) its hardware is compatible with.

Although the three main mobile providers (AIS, DTAC and True Move H) all recently have launched and are building out 3G service on the 2100 Mhz band, they also are continuing to operate their legacy networks -- True Move and DTAC on the 850 Mhz band, and AIS on the 900 Mhz band.

So technically, you probably can get along OK with a 3G 2100 Mhz phone, moreso if you're in an urban area, perhaps less so if you're in a rural/remote area. But ideally, especially right now, it adds redundancy to have a phone that's also compatible with the legacy networks of the provider you're planning to use. TrueMove and DTAC are interchangeable in terms of compatibility with 850 Mhz 3G phones. AIS alone is on the 900 Mhz 3G band.

Of the big 3, the legacy networks of True Move and AIS have the shortest coming lifespan before supposedly those frequency bands will be re-allocated (who knows to where/what firm). But the DTAC 850 Mhz legacy 3G network has quite a few years still remaining and will run alongside its newer 2100 Mhz 3G service/band.

Meanwhile, there are fledgling efforts right now by DTAC and TrueMove H to deploy 4G services. I'm not clear on the frequency band assignments for those, and whether the longer term 4G deployments will be on those same bands or potentially others.

Many thanks for the very detailed and helpful reply, much appreciated.

All of the smartphones that I particularly like are compatible with the 3G 850/2100 MHz service and I will probably let this influence my decision. It would be so much easier if one of the main 3G service providers received rave reviews but, regrettably, they all appear to be as good or as bad as each other!

That would tend to push you in the direction of either DTAC or True Move H service.

I don't think, there are any absolute goods or bads in terms of the service provided by the three big carriers. And likewise, a customer's actual service may depend on just where they're staying, in terms of having good signal / nearby towers from a particular carrier.

One way to start in that regard is check with folks living where you're planning to live or living, and see what carrier they're using and how they report their experience. That can begin to give you some ideas.

You can also buy an inexpensive pre-paid SIM for both DTAC and TrueMove and test it in your phone for the things you want to do with your phone where you're planning to use it. If the service is good, you can keep or extend the prepaid plan/SIM, or even switch to postpaid service. If the service/reception/signal is not good, you're not out much and can chuck the SIM and try another carrier.

Right now, between TrueMove H and DTAC, I'd probably lean a bit toward DTAC. Reasons include, they seem to be in better financial shape than TrueMove, they have years left on their legacy 850 Mhz concession whereas True's legacy 850 Mhz concession is due to expire next year, and DTAC has a nice feature that makes it easy to gain extended validity on their prepaid plans without having to do or worry about constant top-ups. DTAC also doesn't make it difficult on new foreign customers who want postpaid plans but don't have work permits.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Maybe an idea. Does your friend has any open Wi - Fi around like Truemove, 3bb, dtac or from ais? Usually they are around Chula and major roads. Their Wi - Fi is about 100 THB per month unlimited. I am using True Wi - Fi and pay 100 THB. The system will automatically recognize my mobile phone and I pad. I have to lock myself in with my computer though. Advantage is, that I am able to use all the Wi - Fi Hotspots throughout Thailand. No restrictions on speed at any time. Maybe worth to check that out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That would tend to push you in the direction of either DTAC or True Move H service.

I don't think, there are any absolute goods or bads in terms of the service provided by the three big carriers. And likewise, a customer's actual service may depend on just where they're staying, in terms of having good signal / nearby towers from a particular carrier.

One way to start in that regard is check with folks living where you're planning to live or living, and see what carrier they're using and how they report their experience. That can begin to give you some ideas.

You can also buy an inexpensive pre-paid SIM for both DTAC and TrueMove and test it in your phone for the things you want to do with your phone where you're planning to use it. If the service is good, you can keep or extend the prepaid plan/SIM, or even switch to postpaid service. If the service/reception/signal is not good, you're not out much and can chuck the SIM and try another carrier.

Right now, between TrueMove H and DTAC, I'd probably lean a bit toward DTAC. Reasons include, they seem to be in better financial shape than TrueMove, they have years left on their legacy 850 Mhz concession whereas True's legacy 850 Mhz concession is due to expire next year, and DTAC has a nice feature that makes it easy to gain extended validity on their prepaid plans without having to do or worry about constant top-ups. DTAC also doesn't make it difficult on new foreign customers who want postpaid plans but don't have work permits.

Maybe an idea. Does your friend has any open Wi - Fi around like Truemove, 3bb, dtac or from ais? Usually they are around Chula and major roads. Their Wi - Fi is about 100 THB per month unlimited. I am using True Wi - Fi and pay 100 THB. The system will automatically recognize my mobile phone and I pad. I have to lock myself in with my computer though. Advantage is, that I am able to use all the Wi - Fi Hotspots throughout Thailand. No restrictions on speed at any time. Maybe worth to check that out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many thanks for your replies - the helpful advice has been duly noted and is much appreciated.

Clearly, the world of smartphones and their subsequent technology is going to require further research on my part……..slight understatement to say the least!

Thanks again.<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe I misspoke a bit above re TrueMove.

The concession they have that actually already has expired is their 1800 Mhz 2G concession, which ran through September 2013, but which the Thai authorities gave them an additional year until Sept. 2014, primarily because TrueMove still had many millions of its customers still using the 2G network.

So the government's plan is to take the 1800 Mhz spectrum currently used by TrueMove's 2G network and auction it off to bidders who will provide future LTE service on that band, The plan has been to hold that auction before the end of this current calendar year.

I will soon be buying my first smartphone for use in Thailand

In attempt to keep things uncomplicated - much confusion has been sown in recent posts on this thread - just buy a smartphone which supports:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 2100
This gives you all the flexibility you need.
3G/900 is not necessary any longer here, assuming you plan to use the phone only in Thailand.
Edited by lomatopo

If someone is planning to buy the phone now and use AIS, why wouldn't you buy a 900 Mhz / 2100 Mhz phone, or at least one that supports 900 Mhz 3G among its various bands?

Yes, AIS presumably won't be using the 900 Mhz band off into the future. But neither would the user likely be using the same phone far off into the future.

But it would make sense as a purchase now. And in an event, using a 900/2100 Mhz phone is still going to give you access now and in the future to the 2100 Mhz 3G networks of all three major carriers.

And just as relevant, if frequency bands are a concern, a buyer might also be concerned with a current phone purchase supporting LTE on the 1800 and 2100 Mhz bands that appear to be Thailand's future course for this.

But if I were the phone buyer, I'd be looking to get a model that covers as many of the 3G and LTE bands as possible, because you're never quite sure what carrier you might want to be using at any point in the future.

AIS operates on 2100 MHz 3G; assuming you use AWN. Nearly all AIS/One-2-Call mobile data customers have transitioned to 2100 MHz.

There really is no need for 3G/900 unless you travel to countries where this is the standard.

LTE may not be necessary here for five or more years; 3G on 850 or 2100 will be more than sufficient.

But yes, if budget is of no concern and the model you desire is easily sourced here in Thailand and it comes in a variant that supports quad-band GSM, penta-band 3G, and LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600, then go for it. More is usually better than less.

But as I said:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 2100
gives you all the flexibility you need.

No need to make it more confusing than it needs to be.

Since the OP and I have experienced similar situations ... choosing a package that is too limited in GB's for our usage pattern. And since as posted AIS has many different packages or plans... If one is willing to pay much extra - how does one choose an AIS package or payment plan that allows sufficient GBs for what we want to do? I have visited about 6 different AIS offices and discussed all options and I am never offered one to allow me to use a lot of GB of Internet without being throttled down in speed.

What is the magic words or phrases one needs to use to prime the AIS people with to get what we need? This is a serious question. And I am sorry I don't understand AIS's offerings of packages. My experience has been the USA where I could add GB's at $10.00 a GB over my package limit of 5 GB... and upon payment my Internet 'speed' was returned to normal.

I can't speak for the OP but I am willing to go along to get along -- just don't know what to ask for ...and I am willing to pay extra.

(my post was being drafted while the above post was being added ... so didn't see it. And this is the first time I have heard of a weekly plan... could be the right answer... not sure for a pocket wifi ... have to check.

Telecoms companies all over the world seem to do this. Its so frustrating. All these different packages etc. Nice if they just made it simple. People just want something to work at reasonable price.

LTE may not be necessary here for five or more years; 3G on 850 or 2100 will be more than sufficient.

But yes, if budget is of no concern and the model you desire is easily sourced here in Thailand and it comes in a variant that supports quad-band GSM, penta-band 3G, and LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600, then go for it. More is usually better than less.

No, LTE in Thailand may not be "necessary." But if you're going to shell out some hundreds of bucks for a new phone, it only makes sense to think toward now and the near future, and recognize the fact that True Move H is already offering 4G, and DTAC is or will be soon.

I was looking at the True Move H website today regarding the devices that are compatible with their 4G service on the 2100 Mhz LTE band. And AFAIK, you need a device that's specifically capable of LTE. You're not going to get LTE service from a 2100 Mhz 3G-only phone.

Interestingly, the list includes the Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 Windows 8 phones, along with a number of others. A quick check of the U.S. Amazon website today finds unlocked models of the 820 available for $220 or less, and it's a pretty well-reviewed phone., with 4 bands of 3G (including 850, 900 and 2100 Mhz) and 5 bands of LTE, including the Thailand-oriented 1800 and 2100 Mhz LTE bands.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_820-4968.php

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-820-Black-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B00B1O15C6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395750055&sr=8-2&keywords=unlocked+Nokia+Lumia820

In the Android world, without blowing the bank and staying under $300, it looks like the Galaxy S4 Mini (the I9195 LTE variant, although it's not on True Move's list) also would fit the LTE bill at an affordable price.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9190_galaxy_s4_mini-5375.php

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-GT-i9195-8GB-UNLOCKED-International-Warranty/dp/B00D8T9QZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1395750115&sr=1-1&keywords=i9195

A buyer certainly can get more without necessarily having to pay more, if they know what to look for.

post-58284-0-95257800-1395749922_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 399 baht DTAC internet service the last few weeks , works well on my Nexus 4 and I used it also as a hotspot for my laptop and Ipad ,

I was up to 2.2 GB after 3 weeks when I went back to the USA ,

since it was my first "smart phone" I was easily impressed , it was neat to check things on the go ,

but I found myself checking it too often and became a BTS Zombie like everyone else :)

So I might try it here in the USA and see if I can get more out of it than just checking email a 1000 times a day !

In the U.S. there are many, many pre-paid (no contract) GSM (SIM) options; T-Mobile, AT&T, Simple (a T-Mo MVNO), StraightTalk (MVNO for both AT&T and T-Mo).

I use T-Mo, the $3/day plan as I am usually back for frequent, but brief (3 - 6 days), visits. You can turn this plan on/off, and are not billed if you are not using it, or in the country. But there are also $30 - $50 unlimited plans.

I get pretty good 3G on T-Mo (old AT&T 1900 Mhz spectrum) in SFO, ORD, IAD, EWR, BOS: ~ 20 Mbps/2 Mbps; I too have a GNEX 4.

The GNEX 4 does have an LTE 1700/2100 (AWS) radio and can be hacked to work on T-Mo's LTE network.

I got the simple mobile sim to work in my Google 1 phone , but it would not work in the Google Nexus 4 ..........

maybe the nexus 4 is locked to AT&T ???? How do I tell

I am only using it for data right now, works good , next I will try and use it as a hotspot and see what happens

where do I look for the LTE hack ?

thanks

Edited by BKKdreaming

AIS have a new 1GB 30 day add-on package for 150thb. It doesn't auto renew and after used they charge 1.5thb per MB. They send an SMS when you come within 50MB of full use.

Short code is *777*777# if memory serves me right.

I think they also now have a 4GB add-on for 399thb.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app