Why Is Thailand So Backward?

Belfastboy

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Public Warning: Please do not post any more flaming or personal attacks or in this thread, and stay on topic.

Thanks for your understanding.

On behalf of the ThaiVisa Moderating Team.

:o

Like you Gary, our family are hunters and gatherers but I have to tell you we have also progressed to the second level in the ascent of man, namely we also cultivate rice and herd domesticated animals, ie cows. I believe we have now reached the pinnacle of possible contentment.

Gotta love a "Hippy" :D whos "living the life" who uses the INTERNET. :o

:D

You've got to improve your spelling ROFL, you can't talk about educational standards when you can't spell who's.

To be completely off topic, I'm no hippy but I heard today that The Grateful Dead's keyboard player died, that's their third or fourth keyboard player who's croaked, should have changed the name from Grateful Dead a long time ago.

You only have to look at what percentage voted for TRT to see that many are driven by this 'nationalistic brainwashed pride defense rubbish'. Many are not, much more are. It just depends in which circles you move around. In my opinion only poorly informed people have nationalistic tendencies.

Sorry, but you are wrong in this opinion.

The vast majority of Thais voted for TRT because the benefit from easy loan programs, the 30 Baht healthcare, hope for a land distribution, etc.

Nationalism plays a very small role in their choice for TRT.

On the other hand, if you have ever attended the PAD rallies, with its largely middle class supporters, you could see and hear the most nationalistic speaches i have seen here in a long time, far on the right of what Thaksin has ever uttered.

I asked my wife why the villagers vote TRT, she says its because the Thaksin government is the first to do anything for them. The villagers know that much of the loans given out will be spent on cell phones and motorcycles rather than farms or businesses. Then again the cash donations to every house doesn't hurt either.

Like you Gary, our family are hunters and gatherers but I have to tell you we have also progressed to the second level in the ascent of man, namely we also cultivate rice and herd domesticated animals, ie cows. I believe we have now reached the pinnacle of possible contentment.

Gotta love a "Hippy" :D whos "living the life" who uses the INTERNET. :o

You've got to improve your spelling ROFL, you can't talk about educational standards when you can't spell who's.

LOL, now thats pathetic.

The first sign of a lost cause in any forum discussion is when a poster stoops to debunking all that another says on the basis of a GRAHMATIKEL error.

Duuuuuuude, I love hippys! :D

But that doesnt prevent me from observing the irony of those who are anti-"progress" taking their sick children to hopitals for dialysis treatments. :D

Which is fair enough - to be in a position to criticise from an educated viewpoint one should be able to speak and understand Thai at least to some level.

HOLY CRAPOLA, thats the dumbest thing that's been said in this thread so far.

So what you're saying is that I cannot have an educated and intelligent viewpoint on Thailand unless I speak THAI? :D:D

How can you understand the people if you can only speak to the fluent English speakers? Your viewpoint is limited to articles published in English, ie The Bangkok Post, The Nation plus occasional academic works.

If you can't speak Thai you can't talk to the majority of the population, all you've got is:"I read in an article recently that.....'

You're so clueless on so many levels.

Stay on topic...the backasswardness of Thailand.

Oh yeah, make sure you smile tomorrow, the Thai economy needs your help.

Due to the new policy the thai set will no be measured with smileys!

:D:D

I'll give you the same proposition I gave to COL, give ONE example of Thai culture that I cannot understand or grasp because I do not speak Thai. (careful now, this is a trick question)

1.Music, you wouldn't understand the satire such as in the parody of 'Thaksin, The Square- Headed One', why Aed Carabao wrote a song called Nay Kor, not Nai Yok to avoid the radio censors.

2.Comedy, not all Thai comedy is slapstick, there's plenty of humorous digs and ribbing of famous figures in the night cafes, Internet or at Likay concerts.

3. Literature, you can't understand the beauty and subtlety of the language used by poets such as Sunthon Phu.

4.Movies like Mon Rak Transistor give you insights into ordinary Thais' aspirations and lives.

5.Newspapers such as Matichon tell you stuff about Thai politics and society that can't be gleamed from the daily 3 or 4 pages produced by The Bangkok Post and The Nation.

6. As mentioned by The Colonel you can have no real comprehension of the living social structure if you don't know how Thais relate to each other, for example by their varied use of personal pronouns.

7. TV- Discussion programmes, debates between schools on current issues that concern Thais are all beyond you.

8.Most important of all,without being able to talk in depth to the majority of the population you can't communicate directly, there's no 2 way conversation going on without an interpreter.

Which is fair enough - to be in a position to criticise from an educated viewpoint one should be able to speak and understand Thai at least to some level.

So what you're saying is that I cannot have an educated and intelligent viewpoint on Thailand unless I speak THAI? :D:D

How can you understand the people if you can only speak to the fluent English speakers? Your viewpoint is limited to articles published in English, ie The Bangkok Post, The Nation plus occasional academic works.

If you can't speak Thai you can't talk to the majority of the population, all you've got is:"I read in an article recently that.....'

I'll give you the same proposition I gave to COL, give ONE example of Thai culture that I cannot understand or grasp because I do not speak Thai. (careful now, this is a trick question)

1.Music, you wouldn't understand the satire such as in the parody of 'Thaksin, The Square- Headed One', why Aed Carabao wrote a song called Nay Kor, not Nai Yok to avoid the radio censors.

2.Comedy, not all Thai comedy is slapstick, there's plenty of humorous digs and ribbing of famous figures in the night cafes, Internet or at Likay concerts.

3. Literature, you can't understand the beauty and subtlety of the language used by poets such as Sunthon Phu.

4.Movies like Mon Rak Transistor give you insights into ordinary Thais' aspirations and lives.

5.Newspapers such as Matichon tell you stuff about Thai politics and society that can't be gleamed from the daily 3 or 4 pages produced by The Bangkok Post and The Nation.

6. As mentioned by The Colonel you can have no real comprehension of the living social structure if you don't know how Thais relate to each other, for example by their varied use of personal pronouns.

7. TV- Discussion programmes, debates between schools on current issues that concern Thais are all beyond you.

8.Most important of all,without being able to talk in depth to the majority of the population you can't communicate directly, there's no 2 way conversation going on without an interpreter.

Jesus give it up guy, the point is all of these can be explained to me in ENGLISH...as you just did.

I refer you to the post made that started this,

QUOTE(ColPyat @ 2006-06-04 01:46:50)

Which is fair enough - to be in a position to criticise from an educated viewpoint one should be able to speak and understand Thai at least to some level

OK? that is wrong.

That is wrong.

Besides I watched IRON PUSSY and understood exactly what the directors were trying to say. This was confirmed by the Commentary I listened to after watching the film.

Sorry to break it to ya, Thailand isnt that much of a mystery beyond the comprehension of those who dont speak Thai.

Its actually pretty simple, and as the title of this thread says, a bit backward.

What part of this am I unable to understand on an intellectual level?

mai ker-ee kit mai ker-ee fun mai tun dtung dtua

I had never thought.. I had never dreamed.. I'm unable to establish myself...

ท้องฟ้ามืดมัว แผ่นดินเลื่อนลั่นสั่นไหว

tong faa meut mua paen din leuan lun sun wai

The sky were cloudy.. and the ground shaked loudly...

ไม่เคยพบ ไม่เคยเห็น ไม่เคยสนใจ

mai ker-ee pop mai ker-ee hen mai ker-ee son jai

I had never encountered it.. I had never seen it.. and I have never paid attention to it...

ซูนามิ คืออะไร รู้จักแต่ซาซิมิ

soo-naa-mi keu a-rai roo juk dtae sa-si-mi

What's Tsunami? I only know Sasumi...

มันมาดั่งมัจจุราช ทุ่มโถมโทรมใส่ชายหาด

mun maa dung mut-ju-raat toom tohm sohm sai chai haat

It came as if Death.. swooped down and ravished on the beach

มันกวาดทุกสิ่งพินาศ..... ซูนามิ

mun gwaat took sing pi-naat .... soo-naa-mi

It swept everything to it's fall... Tsunami.

ไม่เคยนึก ไม่เคยนับ สรรพศพมากมาย

mai ker-ee neuk mai ker-ee nup sup-pa-sop maak mai

I had never thought.. I never counted... all the corpses were so many...

แผ่นดินร่ำไห้ แผ่นน้ำใยเลือดเย็น

paen din rum hai paen nam yai leuat yen

The ground cries... the water is cruel...

ไม่ว่าใคร ไม่ว่าชาติไหน ไม่มีข้อยกเว้น

mai waa krai mai waa chaat nai mai mee kor yok wen

No matter who, No matter which nationality, It had no exceptions...

ธรรมชาติถือกฎเกณฑ์ มนุษย์เทียบเท่าเม็ดทราย

taam-maa chaat teu got ga-net ma-noot tiap tao met sai

Nature believes in a rule.. where a human is the equal to a grain of sand...

มันมาดั่งมัจจุราช มันโถมทุ่มใส่ชายหาด

mun maa dung mut-ju-raat mun toom tohm sai chai haat

It came as Death, it swooped down and lavished on the beach..

mun gwaat took sing pi-naat... soo-naa-mi

อันดามัน สวรรค์บนโลกวิไลซ์

un-daa-mun sa-wun bon lok wi-lai

Andaman, the beautiful paradise on earth...

ต้องวิปโยคครั้งยิ่งใหญ่ นี่คือชะตากรรม

dtong wip-pa-yok krung ying yai nee keu cha dtaa gum

it had to be the most tragical time..this is fate.

อันดามัน สวรรค์ไม่ทันเตรียมกาย

un-da-mun sa-wun mai tun dtriam gai

Andaman, the paradise unable to be prepared.

ไหลไปเถอะธารน้ำใจ ซับน้ำตาอันดามัน

lai bai ter taan nam jai sup nam dtaa un-daa-mun

Please let your kindness flow.. wipe your tears Andaman...

โอ๊ย……..โอย ซูนามิ

oh... oh soo-naa-mi

Oh... ... .. oh... Tsunami

Edited by ROFL

ROFL, Siripon, ColPyat - - - can you three please drop it, you are going 'round and 'round in circles and no-on is going to give in.

Now, why is Thailand so backward economically, espcially given its natural advantages?

ROFL, Siripon, ColPyat - - - can you three please drop it, you are going 'round and 'round in circles and no-on is going to give in.

Now, why is Thailand so backward economically, espcially given its natural advantages?

OK! :o

Do you mean natural resources? or are you talking about it having "natural" advantages over its neighbors in the realm of global economics?

Do you mean natural resources? or are you talking about it having "natural" advantages over its neighbors in the realm of global economics?

Thanks, mate.

I do believe Thailand has certain advantages over most of its neighbours, natural resources being one of them (whether we talk about Oil, natural Gas etc . . .), natural appeal to tourism, population, infrastructure . . .

I think the main problems are

societal - moneyed class not investing in the creation of a middle class, which would in turn provide more wealth to the moneyed class.

political - it is very much a 'me'me' society. People are in office for a limited period of time and greed pervades the ranks

Just two examples.

Thanks, mate.

I do believe Thailand has certain advantages over most of its neighbours, natural resources being one of them (whether we talk about Oil, natural Gas etc . . .), natural appeal to tourism, population, infrastructure . . .

Just two examples.

Yes there are so many examples in every society, so for now since Im sick in bed Ill just pick one that blows my mind a bit as far as the Thai education system is concerned.

-disclaimer, Im not a teacher so I may not have this just right.

From what I understand there are levels to every grade, say 1-4 versus a 1-14?

From what I've heard from folks who are teachers anything above say a level 6 is doomed to be a "ditch digger".

Dont you think deciding what a person is capable of at age 6 is insane?

Has anyone ever heard or had experience with a student pigeon holed into say a level 6-12 ever breaking out and getting into say a level 6-4?

It seems to me that I was a parent I would do whatever it took to ensure that the FIRST year of my childs education was at the 1 to 4 level, even if I had to pay somone off.

It amazes me that Thais would accept this and just say "oh well, your ######ed for life"...."maybe next time".

I agree. :o

I FULLY agree too.

Hey guys (ROFL, Siripon, ColPyat) set-up their own topic! :D

LaoPo

I have lived in Thailand full-time for something like 20 years and my Thai is better than most Farangs that I know, but it is still basic. The above examples of why one needs to speak Thai to understand the country are all way beyond my capability.

In fact, I only know TWO foreigners who might be able to understand most of the above examples, Joe Cummings who writes the Lonely Planet Thailand guide and phrase-book and a German guy named Raymond who is a whiz with languages and has been studying Thai every day for the last 20 years, or so, and I'm not even sure about them. I somehow doubt if most of our illustrious Thai-visa posters who aren't Thai can speak and understand Thai on this level, although they seem to be indicating that they can! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I somehow doubt if most of our illustrious Thai-visa posters who aren't Thai can speak and understand Thai on this level, although they seem to be indicating that they can! :o

a word of wisdom.......FINALLY! :D

I somehow doubt if most of our illustrious Thai-visa posters who aren't Thai can speak and understand Thai on this level, although they seem to be indicating that they can! :o

I thought we'd finally passed this stage of so-called debate . . . . and were focussing on economic criteria, which was what the topic was all about in the first place.

I thought we'd finally passed this stage of so-called debate . . . . and were focussing on economic criteria, which was what the topic was all about in the first place.

No one mentioned it before and it is rather relevant to the thread as a whole. :D

No one mentioned it before and it is rather relevant to the thread as a whole. :D

So you're saying that we didn't stay on topic (as usual)? Ofcourse we diddddd :D

. . . and were focussing on economic criteria, which was what the topic was all about in the first place.

Excuse me, the topic is "why is Thailand so backward?"

And if you just limit the discussion on economic criteria, you will not get any closer to an answer. Social and cultural factors are creating the economical difficulties Thailand is facing. Economical and socio-cultural issus are closely interlinked in this question.

Jesus give it up guy, the point is all of these can be explained to me in ENGLISH...as you just did.

I refer you to the post made that started this,

Which is fair enough - to be in a position to criticise from an educated viewpoint one should be able to speak and understand Thai at least to some level

OK? that is wrong.

That is wrong.

Besides I watched IRON PUSSY and understood exactly what the directors were trying to say. This was confirmed by the Commentary I listened to after watching the film.

Sorry to break it to ya, Thailand isnt that much of a mystery beyond the comprehension of those who dont speak Thai.

Its actually pretty simple, and as the title of this thread says, a bit backward.

What part of this am I unable to understand on an intellectual level?

mai ker-ee kit mai ker-ee fun mai tun dtung dtua

I had never thought.. I had never dreamed.. I'm unable to establish myself...

ท้องฟ้ามืดมัว แผ่นดินเลื่อนลั่นสั่นไหว

tong faa meut mua paen din leuan lun sun wai

The sky were cloudy.. and the ground shaked loudly...

ไม่เคยพบ ไม่เคยเห็น ไม่เคยสนใจ

mai ker-ee pop mai ker-ee hen mai ker-ee son jai

I had never encountered it.. I had never seen it.. and I have never paid attention to it...

ซูนามิ คืออะไร รู้จักแต่ซาซิมิ

soo-naa-mi keu a-rai roo juk dtae sa-si-mi

What's Tsunami? I only know Sasumi...

มันมาดั่งมัจจุราช ทุ่มโถมโทรมใส่ชายหาด

mun maa dung mut-ju-raat toom tohm sohm sai chai haat

It came as if Death.. swooped down and ravished on the beach

mun gwaat took sing pi-naat .... soo-naa-mi

ไม่เคยนึก ไม่เคยนับ สรรพศพมากมาย

mai ker-ee neuk mai ker-ee nup sup-pa-sop maak mai

I had never thought.. I never counted... all the corpses were so many...

แผ่นดินร่ำไห้ แผ่นน้ำใยเลือดเย็น

paen din rum hai paen nam yai leuat yen

The ground cries... the water is cruel...

ไม่ว่าใคร ไม่ว่าชาติไหน ไม่มีข้อยกเว้น

mai waa krai mai waa chaat nai mai mee kor yok wen

No matter who, No matter which nationality, It had no exceptions...

ธรรมชาติถือกฎเกณฑ์ มนุษย์เทียบเท่าเม็ดทราย

taam-maa chaat teu got ga-net ma-noot tiap tao met sai

Nature believes in a rule.. where a human is the equal to a grain of sand...

มันมาดั่งมัจจุราช มันโถมทุ่มใส่ชายหาด

mun maa dung mut-ju-raat mun toom tohm sai chai haat

It came as Death, it swooped down and lavished on the beach..

mun gwaat took sing pi-naat... soo-naa-mi

อันดามัน สวรรค์บนโลกวิไลซ์

un-daa-mun sa-wun bon lok wi-lai

Andaman, the beautiful paradise on earth...

ต้องวิปโยคครั้งยิ่งใหญ่ นี่คือชะตากรรม

dtong wip-pa-yok krung ying yai nee keu cha dtaa gum

it had to be the most tragical time..this is fate.

อันดามัน สวรรค์ไม่ทันเตรียมกาย

un-da-mun sa-wun mai tun dtriam gai

Andaman, the paradise unable to be prepared.

โอ๊ย……..โอย ซูนามิ

oh... oh soo-naa-mi

Oh... ... .. oh... Tsunami

'All of these can be explained to me', in other words you can't understand it yourself.

i love thailand,but like any country it does have its oddities,& things i am cofused or a little irritated by.

like for instance.

busses with air conditioning on full blast,with blankets supplied.

ice in the beer.

queing as concept.

people not saying "i dont know",when in fact they dont know.

the resistance to pointing when theyre giving you directions.

lady men always saying "kha".(but not in my room)

always asking "gin khao lian"(have you eaten),& not how are you.

any more?

i love thailand,but like any country it does have its oddities,& things i am cofused or a little irritated by.

like for instance.

ice in the beer.

queing as concept.

any more?

Wrong thread? :o

like for instance.

ice in the beer.

queing as concept.

any more?

Wrong thread? :o

Wrong planet.

like for instance.

ice in the beer.

queing as concept.

any more?

Funny stuff and true

'ColPyat', in post #233, said:

"Excuse me, the topic is "why is Thailand so backward?"

And if you just limit the discussion on economic criteria, you will not get any closer to an answer. Social and cultural factors are creating the economical difficulties Thailand is facing. Economical and socio-cultural issues are closely interlinked in this question."

Spot on.

And for a good discussion of the difficulties that urban Thais are having in developing an appropriate socio-cultural view of their circumstances within their Newly Industrialised Country, I would refer you to Niels Mulder's book "Thai Images".

The recent hiatus in Government-governed relationships is a graphic reflection of this socio-cultural dis-joint between past and present.

Thailand will go through enormous flux in the next few decades, but I disagree with the underlying premiss of this thread that all(!!) it has to do is to copy Western societies, and so no longer be 'backward'.

I have a basic optimism that Thailand will come through quite well.

It is based on the fact that it is a country that can feed and house its population adequately, and is 'aside' from the major troubles of the world.

One poster poked a bit of fun at "hippies with Internet"---and it would be valid for a 'knit your own yoghourt' brigade.

But 'returning to peasantry' is nothing like the old hippyism.

Peasantry evolves as times change, and older, 'middle class' peasants have the luxuries and many of the cultural interests of the urban middle classes.

The only difference is living in rural surroundings, and being self-sufficient in our basic food.

The hippies foreswore the modern luxuries---but I don't. (Says he who has visited his cardiologist today, and then eaten some excellent lamb chops!).

Incidentally, in the rural areas, a surprising number of Thais who have jobs in one or other of the secondary-elite occupations (building, haulage, health care, education etc) keep 'one foot in the peasantry'. They retain the family land and let some landless peasant family have half the crop in return for doing the actual field operations. It is a 'fair do' for both.

'All of these can be explained to me', in other words you can't understand it yourself.

NO, all I need is a translation.

Again :o , it all began with Col silly comment ,

You're Thai? If so guess I shouldnt havet expected you to understand the first time, but ###### Ive said it over and over again and you still dont get it.

###### even with the simple wrote education you recieved I figured you would be able to get it by the third time.

Your culture cant hide behind the Thai language, Im sorry to say its out there in the wide open yonder for everyone to see. No mystery.

I laughing my ass off that a Thai? person or persons is arrogant enough to think that they are such a special species that cannot be comprehended by the rest of the world.

You may not be Thai, which is even scarier. But if you are..

...go ahead, grab that jar of face cream and look yourself in the mirror and say "look at me Im Sandra Dee" over and over again till ya believe it. Thais are good at repeating it seems.

Edited by ROFL