Thailand back as rice exporter champion

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are essentially dumping it. Trying to look good here in this article

Dumping of Rice would be a contravention of the International agreements that prohibit any transactions that undermine the market. The United State would have sanctioned Thailand in an instant if the Thai rice market did that.

They are essentially dumping it. Trying to look good here in this article

Dumping of Rice would be a contravention of the International agreements that prohibit any transactions that undermine the market. The United State would have sanctioned Thailand in an instant if the Thai rice market did that.

...'Several countries, including the U.S., have raised concerns about the possibility of Thailand dumping its rice in the international market'.

Why the past tense? These things don't happen 'in an instant'. They take time, so wait and see.

So people are buying this overpriced, rotting rice.whistling.gif

What proof that it is rotten. I think that is just a 'furphy' put out to scare people such as yourself.

What proof is there that it was even sold?

Is there any confirmation from elsewhere other than the Thai government? Is there any prices mention, any proof of ANYTHING at all?

This may be a "furphy" put out to keep people like yourself happy.

• Like 1

Impending sanctions of Thai exports and asset freezes on overseas bank accounts of govt ministers will take the shine off from this polished turd.

not to forget the near imminent invasion of alien forces from the delta quadrant who are planning to establish a bridgehead in Nakhon Nowhere.

It is not true. I live in Nakhon Nowhere and the pu yai ban says they will land in Nakhon Somewhere Else. He got the information from the local witchdoctor.

So if they really sold that much rice in these past few months, how can Yingluck claim the protesters for not being able to pay the farmers???

If I make a short calculation and say they only got 8,000 baht per tonnes of rice, then they would have raised 12.000.000.000 on the sales of old rice, which have been in the government's stockpiles.

Then why, ooh why, most farmers still haven't received a dime, but only the "finger from Yingluck" ???

Or did the money first had to be transferred to HK??

• Like 1

So all the chicken little's predicting armageddon were wrong?

When will you people learn to trust uncle T, he's so much smarter than you (especially when it comes to governing a nation).

Yes, it takes a very special kind of genious to buy at 15-20k a tonne and sell at 9-12k a tonne.

• Like 1

Does Thailand sell different types of rice or is it all jasmine? How does that differ from basmati?

there is Basmati thumbsup.gif and there is (any) Thai rice unsure.png

Absolutely right.

The best Basmati rice knocks ANY other rice into the proverbial cocked hat - well worth seeking out over here but expect to pay a premium price for it.

I'll join this club as well. From http://oryza.com/global-rice-market/asia-pacific, basmati is 1515 -1525 (some currency, dunno), thai jasmine (hommali) 945-955. Price is around 1.5x, probably more in retail here, but the difference is big enough to warrant the price. Basmati is non-sticky, smells very good and tastes excellent. Thai jasmine, including the best stuff I get from my MIL who farms it, just doesn't compare.

That said, throwing the horrible rice cooker out of the window and cooking it right does help: http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Long-Grained-Rice . Letting it go to a mush in the cooker doesn't help.

It's great (and desperately needed PR) but sales due to dumping rice on the cheap during one month hardly means you are the biggest exporter in the world.

If a struggling Prem team wins three games on the trot against rubbish opposition are they are suddenly the best team in the league?

Wow. Talk about smoke and mirrors. All this dumping of old rice at bargain basement prices has put Thailand back on top of the rice export market ? And what about the actual monetary sums and figures ? Still ahead of India and Vietnam ? Yeah, right.

Now take a peek at the deficit - you know - that figure with all those endless zeroes. Now match it to what the system has actually brought in. Only in the world of Pheu Thai could the biggest monetary debacle in the country's history could be couched in such terms.

• Like 1

When will you people learn to trust uncle T, he's so much smarter than you (especially when it comes to governing a nation).

Yep, your man is a genius:

'... (The other paper), citing trade sources, says that the government has sold about 800,000 tons of rice so far via secret channels this year at prices of around 9.60 baht per kilogram (around $298 per ton), which is down about 20-25% from the current market price of around 12-13 baht per kilogram (around $373 - $404 per ton). If true, the secret sales could be a contravention of WTO rules. In the past, several countries, including the U.S., have raised concerns about the possibility of Thailand dumping its rice in the international market.

The Agricultural Futures Exchange of Thailand (AFET) President also says that the government is trying to sell rice hastily through several channels, and this was the reason for the poor participation in yesterday’s AFET auction for about 244,000 tons of rice, in which only seven bidders participated. Exporters say they are reluctant to buy rice from the government because prices are expected to decline by 10-15% in April - May 2014 when some rice from Vietnam’s winter-spring crop is likely to enter Thailand'.

[Thanks to Samjaidee].

If true…...

and if not?

Just one more fallacy from the anti-democratic mob.

The longer this debacle goes on the more the coup mongers lies are exposed for what they are.

Even with the biased court system in their pocket, this hopeless mob has barely secured a handful of convictions for anything in nearly 10 years of trying.

Give up and go home.

You lost.

First, there is no reports of a bunch of rotten Rice.

The first few rice sales were very low. But once countries started to see a reliable supply of rice and the quality was OK..prices went up.

Second, just a few days ago they update the total sales of Rice for the past 2 months. It equated to 10,200B / Ton. They bought the rice at 15,000B/ton and the original rice and sold at 10,200B/ton +/-. So yes, they lost money. They expected to lose 20-25% which is what is budgeted for year 2013. They lost 32%.. Not good...but not a disaster. Obviously, there are high risks in trying to do this sort of scheme. Certainly hope they realize this sort of thing can't happen again. Do remember, Years 2011 & 2012 were successful and on target.

Edited by drand11

'... (The other paper), citing trade sources, says that the government has sold about 800,000 tons of rice so far via secret channels this year at prices of around 9.60 baht per kilogram (around $298 per ton), which is down about 20-25% from the current market price of around 12-13 baht per kilogram (around $373 - $404 per ton). If true, the secret sales could be a contravention of WTO rules. In the past, several countries, including the U.S., have raised concerns about the possibility of Thailand dumping its rice in the international market.

The Agricultural Futures Exchange of Thailand (AFET) President also says that the government is trying to sell rice hastily through several channels, and this was the reason for the poor participation in yesterday’s AFET auction for about 244,000 tons of rice, in which only seven bidders participated. Exporters say they are reluctant to buy rice from the government because prices are expected to decline by 10-15% in April - May 2014 when some rice from Vietnam’s winter-spring crop is likely to enter Thailand'.

[Thanks to Samjaidee].

If true…...

and if not?

The longer this debacle goes on the more the coup mongers lies are exposed for what they are.

Even with the biased court system in their pocket, this hopeless mob has barely secured a handful of convictions for anything in nearly 10 years of trying.

Give up and go home.

You lost.

The source is ORYZA, Global Rice, Price, News and Analysis, dated March 20, 2014:

http://oryza.com/news/rice-news/thailand-government-sells-rice-through-secret-channels-below-market-prices-claims

ORYZA is the leading source on white rice prices worldwide.

So yes, I am probably wrong. I should certainly give up and go home as "I lost".

Tell me - just how utterly, contemptibly stupid are you?

• Like 2

That is not true. The market price has been lower, down to 8,000b/ton recently. So if anything, they are getting better pricing than they were recently hoping for. Nice that they held the rice over the past few months to let the overstocks dwindle. They took a risk of the rice spoiling but they seem to now have a strong supply over many other nations for the next 4+ months til the next crop comes to the market. 10,200 is a lot better than 8,000 2 months ago!

[Thanks to Samjaidee].

If true…...

and if not?

Give up and go home.

You lost.

The source is ORYZA, Global Rice, Price, News and Analysis, dated March 20, 2014:

http://oryza.com/news/rice-news/thailand-government-sells-rice-through-secret-channels-below-market-prices-claims

So yes, I am probably wrong. I should certainly give up and go home as "I lost".

"according to local media reports".

​The above is the most important phrase in this article.

Surely you're not one who believes the Thai news media is unbiased and factual?

"according to local media reports".

​The above is the most important phrase in this article.

Surely you're not one who believes the Thai news media is unbiased and factual?

Have you heard some voice from the government denying the selling of that rice? coffee1.gif

Does Thailand sell different types of rice or is it all jasmine? How does that differ from basmati?

This shows the different kinds of rice.

http://oryza.com/global-rice-market/asia-pacific

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, it shows Thailand grows many different kinds of rice. Similar to countries it is competing against. Oryza shows daily prices for the different kinds of rice. Below, hopefully, answers your question on basmati rice.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-j-1-93814

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The first few rice sales were very low. But once countries started to see a reliable supply of rice and the quality was OK..prices went up.

Second, just a few days ago they update the total sales of Rice for the past 2 months. It equated to 10,200B / Ton. They bought the rice at 15,000B/ton and the original rice and sold at 10,200B/ton +/-. So yes, they lost money. They expected to lose 20-25% which is what is budgeted for year 2013. They lost 32%.. Not good...but not a disaster. Obviously, there are high risks in trying to do this sort of scheme. Certainly hope they realize this sort of thing can't happen again. Do remember, Years 2011 & 2012 were successful and on target.

Iraq announced they wouldn't buy any more Thai rice until the quality improves. They were the largest buyer.

Ok..and there was no Chinese Buyer..yet they just bought a bunch or Rice.

Philippines is now agreeing to take bids from Thailand for their import. (Thailand will compete against Vietnam)

Lets not ignore the fact that alot of rice is now being sold, on schedule to be gone by September.

It is what it is.

Iraq announced they wouldn't buy any more Thai rice until the quality improves. They were the largest buyer.

Don't forget that the US returned a shipment because of poor quality.

And Ivory Coast who were once one of the biggest customers announced that they had to dump 20% of a shipment because it was unfit to eat, after that the PT Govt said that they would no longer sell to Ivory Coast. Or could it be......? Na PT never lie

Then there were the Thai elderly who were given free rice and complained it was so rotten even the dogs wouldn't eat it.

Don't forget the sack of rotten rice a Dem Member of parliament opened in the house and was told by Nattawatt that he would be sued for theft.

And of course the recent story of the rotten rice in the partly collapsed warehouse in Lop buri.

That will be ... when hell freezes-over, and the Winter-Olympics are held in Chiang Mai. rolleyes.gif

He's not smarter, he's just crookeder, wish he'd keep-his-word and Quit Thai Politics, to spend more time with his Billions ! laugh.png

Meanwhile this particular brainwave of his has lost the country a fortune, and screwed the good reputation of Thai rice, for years to come. wink.png

Thailand is a magnificent nation and has the potential to be high-ranking in many areas, if it is correctly governed. Rice is the obvious example, but the potential is there for a lot more besides. Sadly and relentlessly mismanaged to date, but with the right leadership the future for Thailand could be extraordinarily golden. I pray that this nation will eventually reach the heights that people here have toiled hard for and thoroughly deserve.

agreed. But alas .... Just a dream

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

If it talks like a troll and quacks like a troll .......

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I thought it was sarcasm.

• Like 1