Can I carry a tonne in a Fortuner

SantiSuk

I plan to go to Bangkok this week and on the way back will collect pool salt, worm-cast and hydrochloric acid. Want to load up to a metric tonne.

I can use the family Hilux Vigo (after all I bought that one too!) which has a spec carrying capacity at that level, but prefer driving my own Sportivo 4WD Fortuner - especially round town. Toyota do not spec a carrying capacity for the SUV. If I take the back 2 rows of seats out that gives about 100k extra load and I carried 8 adults and 5 kids from Sisaket to Chiang Mai and back plus luggage with no apparent sweat once - must have been the equivalent of about 700k plus 100k (seats).

Just in case anybody has gone for a big load in the past, anyone got any observations? I only need to do 350 kilometres from Korat one way on good roads.

That's the kind of input I was looking for. I guess the Fortuner cab must be several hundred k heavier than the Vigo's then. I'll just have to be the hick farmer around Bangers then smile.png. Dunno about the nature of the shocks Transam

That's the kind of input I was looking for. I guess the Fortuner cab must be several hundred k heavier than the Vigo's then. I'll just have to be the hick farmer around Bangers then smile.png. Dunno about the nature of the shocks Transam

If me (a rascal) and the ride had self leveling shocks, I would go for it, if not, no. sad.png

I reckon it is more to do with the coil spring rear in the Tuna vs the leaf springs in the Vigo. But yes the Tuner body weighs more. I think there is about a 300kg difference in kerb weight between the 2.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

They ride like a pig when overloaded. The weight of a pallet of floor tiles is more than enough to put the rear down on the stops. After that it bounces along nose high on balloon tyes. Very uncomfortable and hard to steer even at low speeds.

• Like 1

OP - I'd do it, provided you can load things in a balanced structure. The coil springs aren't self levelling. Try and get the weight all over the car so you don't have all the weight at the back or front. Provided she steers safely and you allow for braking distance and corner smoothly, an extra 400kg or so (after you strip out the spare seats) won't be a problem. In fact you won't even notice it if you do it properly.

If you want to crib an extra 40-100kg, leave your spare at home and run the tank no more than half.

I've driven Fortuners and similar back home loaded to the gunnels - fat missus, 3 teenage kids, a dog, a month's supply of everything, plus a roofrack chocka with camping stuff and pushbikes, 18' ski boat on a trailer behind, and the boats loaded with <deleted> that we couldn't cram into or on top of the car.

Still got speed camera tickets. I'm not well known for observing manufacturers recommendations. biggrin.png

I have a great suggestion.......LOOK at the owners manual of the truck/////now that's a great idea ....now sit in the drivers seat look to the left on the dask board and you will see a small " glovebox " now in there there maybe a book a paper thing with pages in it.....there's a good start

I have a great suggestion.......LOOK at the owners manual of the truck/////now that's a great idea ....now sit in the drivers seat look to the left on the dask board and you will see a small " glovebox " now in there there maybe a book a paper thing with pages in it.....there's a good start

Wrong answer.............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yeah - maybe I sound stupid, but I'm not sunshine. Tried the manual (in Thai - English language not available, TW drew a blank) and researched on the internet with no info on load capacity forthcoming. About time you tried taking prisoners instead of just shooting from your bottom!

• Like 1

What makes you think the cab could be several hundred kg heavier?
When Toyota weighted the car, the ego of the driver is not taking into account - otherwise most Fortuner drivers had to drive always alone (and still being massive overloaded)...wink.png
I would think it is no problem to transport 1000kg in a Tuna, but distribute most in the middle of the car.
A 4 door vigo with the load mostly in the back is not much fun to drive neither, as it hangs and you have no weight on the front axle. On the plus side, steering is a little easier cheesy.gif.
A 2 door vigo and the load nicely distributed drives nice (maybe more comfy then empty).

Whats a "dask board" ?

A good start to offering a smart ass reply would be to check your spelling.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

A quick look on the net for 2013 - 2014 3.0D-4D 4 x 4 Auto fortuner specs shows

Unladen weight 1895 kg

Gross weight (GVM) 2,560 kg

To me that says it has a load capacity of 665 kg

But, a % overload is engineered into most production stuff.

• Like 1

A quick look on the net for 2013 - 2014 3.0D-4D 4 x 4 Auto fortuner specs shows

Unladen weight 1895 kg

Gross weight (GVM) 2,560 kg

To me that says it has a load capacity of 665 kg

But, a % overload is engineered into most production stuff.

That's right Transam, and in Thailand the % overload tolerance is limited only by the drivers imagination or lack thereof.

We've all seen Vigos or similar with 3+ Tonnes of load on board that touches the sky and can't get under overpasses that are lower than 5 metres, and inverts the leaf springs. The OP could strap an elephant to the roof of his Fortuner as well as his one tonne load of stuff inside without raising an eyebrow.

• Like 2

Today, you won't believe me, I went and bought a few beers, driving home on a quiet road and smelt rubber, hmmmmmmmmmmm, few yards down the road a low rider (stock) Vigo had stopped. The driver was inspecting stuff, he had that heavy a load the tyres were touching the inner wings and tearing them apart. laugh.png

A bridge tooooooo far, but the Vigo was perfectly square, though it was toooooooo much.

• Like 1

Easy.

load the thing to the gunwales.

What kind of insurance you have?

If it is more as the standard obligatory insurance overloading a car by more than 335 kg(nearly 50%) plus driver plus eventual passenger(s) will just mean that when having an accident you will be blamed.

And believe me, the insurance will try to find anything so as not to have to pay, even if the accident might not be your fault.

If you plan to drive the fortuner with heavier loads, do install helper springs.

Even so, they will only up the possible load by around 10-15%, and give a much stiffer ride when empty.

And indeed, that is more or less the extra (over)load incorperated into the design of the car.

And yet, the insurance company will try to dupe you.

And, may I say so, they are right to do that.

Don't do it.

Edited by hansnl

I am concerned that your putting yourself, your family and other road users at risk. Not only is the suspension not rated to carry that amount but your tyres, wheels and axles aren't either.

If you have a Hi-Lux use that.

They ride like a pig when overloaded. The weight of a pallet of floor tiles is more than enough to put the rear down on the stops. After that it bounces along nose high on balloon tyes. Very uncomfortable and hard to steer even at low speeds.

I would have to agree with part of your statement. They ride like a pig.

Spoonman, on 23 Mar 2014 - 17:29, said:
takenoprisoners, on 23 Mar 2014 - 14:34, said:

Whats a "dask board" ?

A good start to offering a smart ass reply would be to check your spelling.

A Daskboard is i small German Sausage Dog living in Sweeden.

Make that Sweaden

I had once 3000Kg of rocks delivered to my place, in a Vigo.

They told me it could load 5 Tonne, Lot of thick leaf springs under the car .

Now that's worth knowing JesseFrank. I'll get more salt and acid then and definitely use the Vigo. Incidentally, since I know you are a pool man, the price at the TRS salt 'factory' (about 20k NE of Korat) is 100 baht a 25kg bag - reportedly. When my alternative retail supply is at 200 baht in far east lower Isaan that makes a special diversion worthwhile.

I'll wait to see how it turns out then report on the Swimming Pool thread.

Now the kids are off school the big swimming parties are a daily event - I'm losing 1 to 2% of water a day over the edge, which means a bag a week until mid May!