EC chairman rebuffs Pheu Thai's call to sue PDRC

webfact

What a bizarre turn of events.

Whilst everyone is blaming everyone for the failed election. No one dares to.put the blame actually on the protesters.

I can only surmise that the EC doesn't want to point a finger at the PDRC so that they will be free to protest again.

Truly astonishing logic.

I await the "car had an accident" of Thai logic. The election prevented itself.

"I can only surmise that the EC doesn't want to point a finger at the PDRC so that they will be free to protest again.

Truly astonishing logic."

What is really astonishing is the number of TV posters who just don't read things properly. See the quote below from the OP...

"He said the Pheu Thai should never order the EC to work as it knew well of the duties.

He said that the EC was working on the matter on a clandestine way and has no need to inform the public every step it was doing."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather an amusing comment from fab4 regarding the fact that the military and or the police farce force could have, should have been mobilised to ensure that the election was carried out in an orderly unhindered fashion.

Now a question to the character who made that comment.

What would you have said had both the military and the police farce force had been mobilized to ensure that voting could be carried out unhindered?

I would strongly suspect you would have been screaming at the top of your voice and your keyboard would have been red hot with friction due to the amount of posts you would have made in your campaign to prove that there was undue pressure on the voters to cast their votes in a less than biased manner due to the presence of the military and the police farce force. if the vote had been against that bastion of democracy so beloved by you, the Shinwatra clan.

Strange how you decry the military on one side for possibly being involved in a possible upcoming coup yet you expect them to jump at your masters and your command to protect your ideals.

Surely not double standards being advocated ?

• Like 2

So what's HE going to do to prevent a repeat of the last election fiasco? Seeing as he's telling everyone not to tell him how to do his job?

If there's any blockading of the next election, then he needs to be thrown out of office (hopefully it's a few stories high too) he has a moral duty to protect these election sites then, as well as the voting public..

Failure this time is NOT an option!!

You know and have conveniently forgotten that he warned Yingluck prior to the Feb 2, that they did not have time or enough manpower to run a smooth election.

SHE rebuffed his warning. Trying to be clever rushing through the election the same as steamrollering that bill in the house, both failed. She like her brother loves abusing their power.

I think you need to read what I wrote again, I'm talking about the NEXT election, I don't care about the last one, that's done and dusted, I clearly said what's he going to do to prevent the fiasco of the last one, not the time frames, but the protection of the ballot boxes, voting stations and the voters, EC officials did a runner last time, and locked places up.. especially when the PDRC have openly stated they're going to do the same again..

What is he going to do to prevent that from happening ?, if he does nothing, he's derelict in his duty, he should be taking this to the same courts that voided the last election to ensure that voting is allowed to take place without any obstructions, but he won't because the outcome of the election will more than likely not favour the PDRC, and for everyone who keeps stating that the PTP/UDD are a spent force and no longer have the same pulling power, or popular support really need to put it to the test and let the next election run without any interruptions, and then we'll see who's left standing.. If it's the majority that keeps Yingluck in power, then accept it, same if it goes the opposite way, personally if the PTP/UDD were to retain power, I still think Yingluck would need to step away and fade away like a dog turd.. start afresh, with a visionary leader, IF they can find one!!

Let the elections run unimpeded, this is the only way in which to gauge public opinion. The public voice is the one that should be heard, and that public extends well beyond Bangkok!!

• Like 1

So what's HE going to do to prevent a repeat of the last election fiasco? Seeing as he's telling everyone not to tell him how to do his job?

If there's any blockading of the next election, then he needs to be thrown out of office (hopefully it's a few stories high too) he has a moral duty to protect these election sites then, as well as the voting public..

You know and have conveniently forgotten that he warned Yingluck prior to the Feb 2, that they did not have time or enough manpower to run a smooth election.

SHE rebuffed his warning. Trying to be clever rushing through the election the same as steamrollering that bill in the house, both failed. She like her brother loves abusing their power.

I think you need to read what I wrote again, I'm talking about the NEXT election, I don't care about the last one, that's done and dusted, I clearly said what's he going to do to prevent the fiasco of the last one, not the time frames, but the protection of the ballot boxes, voting stations and the voters, EC officials did a runner last time, and locked places up.. especially when the PDRC have openly stated they're going to do the same again..

What is he going to do to prevent that from happening ?, if he does nothing, he's derelict in his duty, he should be taking this to the same courts that voided the last election to ensure that voting is allowed to take place without any obstructions, but he won't because the outcome of the election will more than likely not favour the PDRC, and for everyone who keeps stating that the PTP/UDD are a spent force and no longer have the same pulling power, or popular support really need to put it to the test and let the next election run without any interruptions, and then we'll see who's left standing.. If it's the majority that keeps Yingluck in power, then accept it, same if it goes the opposite way, personally if the PTP/UDD were to retain power, I still think Yingluck would need to step away and fade away like a dog turd.. start afresh, with a visionary leader, IF they can find one!!

Let the elections run unimpeded, this is the only way in which to gauge public opinion. The public voice is the one that should be heard, and that public extends well beyond Bangkok!!

In a real democracy you'd be right. Here we discuss Thailand though.

As for "If it's the majority that keeps Yingluck in power, then accept it," that's assuming Ms. Yingluck has the right answers regarding the way her government took care of corruption and where the missing 700++ billion Baht are.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It failed because of the ignorance and stupidity of Yingluck and her ex-govt. She forced the elections to go through....

Where in the constitution does it say that the government can postpone an election once the date is set.

You do realise the potential long term ramifications of giving that power to a government.

Why should the vote be postponed because a minority of place may not vote. That is minority report legalese. You can't know exactly which areas won't vote, if you dont try to vote. It is not down to the govenment to say,

Ahhh, boo hop we heard some place won't vote, so we cancel the election. That is the first and simplest turn to dictatorship.

Didn't the EC advised NOT to hold the election as fast as Yingluck suggested? Didn't Yingluck disregard this advice and pushed the elections through at any cost? We all understand why she did this, and that too was very undemocratic....

Dictatorship is introducing illegal laws (eg. amnesty bill), or pushing a 2 trillion THB loan and not accept check and balances, dictatorship is not advising the govt to consider postponing the elections, and dictatorship is definitely not nullifying an election when the results are unconstitutional....

They can advise all they want.

It is not within the governments rights to postpone the election beyond the mandated dates. If they had, every man and his dog would have been running around like crazy dropping lawsuits onto them for breaking the constitution. They were within 4 days of the time running out. The EC said it might be able to carry out the election in 3 or 4 months. 3 or 4 months. And then what to do, if it gets to 3 or 4 months and the PDRC are still protesting? Postpone it again.

What if PTP keeps holding elections and its own supporters prevent elections happening in their own constituencies? Is it right that PTP has the right to keep postponing elections. It cannot be the correct path to allow a small minority of blocked consituencies from stopping all the voting. The show MUST go on.

Thank goodness that the EC is no longer allowing itself to be bullied by people like Prompong. The EC is a constitutionally empowered agency. The administration is beholden to listen to them - not the other way around.

And who exactly do you think the EC is accountable to then? Or maybe you think the EC can do what it likes and is not accountable to anyone.

Did you mean the same as the PTP government(?). They think that they can do just as THEY want and are not accountable to anyone.

The PTP government, indeed ANY government are accountable to ALL of the Thai people and NOT just those who voted for them and there are more people that did NOT vote for the PTP than those who did.

edited for bad writing. If only I could buy a computer that could spell properly because my fingers can't, that's for sure.

No, it's a simple enough question. To whom is the EC accountable?

I was trying to make a point that AT THIS TIME it is a waste of time, What Thailand needs now is JUSTICE, when all have been brought to heel, AND the elections can be held in a fair manner good. BUT it has to be known that anyone found to be cheating/vote buying etc they shall be dealt with severely.

Once justice has been dealt out and put the fear of god up the corrupt that are left, THEN elections. If we try to keep having elections with SH## still running around in office it is worthless.

All parties welcome but fanatics dealt with whether they be reds or any other disruptive colour.

If you have the right environment you can hold fair and free elections---NOT NOW, whoever wins it doesn't matter it will be worthless.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Thank goodness that the EC is no longer allowing itself to be bullied by people like Prompong. The EC is a constitutionally empowered agency. The administration is beholden to listen to them - not the other way around.

And who exactly do you think the EC is accountable to then? Or maybe you think the EC can do what it likes and is not accountable to anyone.

Did you mean the same as the PTP government(?). They think that they can do just as THEY want and are not accountable to anyone.

The PTP government, indeed ANY government are accountable to ALL of the Thai people and NOT just those who voted for them and there are more people that did NOT vote for the PTP than those who did.

edited for bad writing. If only I could buy a computer that could spell properly because my fingers can't, that's for sure.

To the realm, / courts ????

EC asked government to postpone the election. Nice little trap. Do that and the Dem will petition the Constitution Court to charge the government for ignoring the Royal Degree to have election before 60 days. BTW, 2 Feb election was in its 50 something day. Just admit that the EC is in cahoot with the oppositions. Be a man and stop shifting blame.

Good effort, but Thailand is a democracy so there is only one ultimate authority, and that's the 66 million men, women and children who are citizens. And right now they've been left without a functioning government because the EC and others like them have forgotten who they are responsible to.

Once justice has been dealt out and put the fear of god up the corrupt that are left, THEN elections. If we try to keep having elections with SH## still running around in office it is worthless.

This rather naively assumes that the justice system itself is not corrupt. What on earth would make you think that, while police and politicians are corrupt, the judges are pure as the driven snow?

Good effort, but Thailand is a democracy so there is only one ultimate authority, and that's the 66 million men, women and children who are citizens. And right now they've been left without a functioning government because the EC and others like them have forgotten who they are responsible to.

Half right - the EC just like the government are accountable to the Thai people. Leaving aside the total lack of government accountability, the country is left without a functioning government because the PTP wouldn't listen or work agreeably with the EC and the protestors disrupted the voting in some areas.

The main areas of disruption were the deep south and parts of Bangkok. In both these areas a SOE was in force and the police didn't enforce the law in both areas. The EC is a scapegoat for a lack of law enforcement which is one of the main reasons that Thailand is not a functioning democracy. Only when the police are made responsible to the people & not one party (or individual) and make an effort to enforce the law, including during elections, will this one aspect of democracy be democratic. Other aspects have been covered elsewhere.

Just to stand up and be a man let's remind people of the following:

2014-01-24

"The Court has ruled that, despite the constitutional requirement which dictated that an election must be held in 60 days after the House is dissolved, a postponement of 2 February election would not be unconstitutional.

The Court also clarified that the government and the Election Commission (EC) have the joint authority to postpone the election, namely by issuing a Royal Decree.

It advises the government and the EC to discuss the matter."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699136-2-february-election-can-be-postponed-constitutional-court-rules-thailand/

And of course a day later

"Vorathep Rattanakorn, the caretaker Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office said the Court did not order to postpone the election, just interpreting that the polling could possibly be postponed"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699332-caretaker-pm-yingluck-agrees-to-meet-ec-chairman-on-tuesday/

and more obfuscation and a gathering with the right people who told Yingluck she should continue and Yingluck saying she would listen to the right voices, etc., etc.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

This rather naively assumes that the justice system itself is not corrupt. What on earth would make you think that, while police and politicians are corrupt, the judges are pure as the driven snow?

What do you mean then,?? no justice, if you do not get rid of the vermin it will be here to do the same, hence the problems. You are wrong to defend anything that is corrupt, so we cannot do this because the courts are corrupt----give us a break leave this B/S out.

I note you took a clipping from my post----THAT IS WRONG, choosing a bit of the post to skirt round the whole problem--- do not do it again. Everything here is corrupt so what we have to sort it out sometime. Start with those you defend ooooohhh sorry you could lose face.

It is hardly the EC concern to arrange safe passage for electors , that is the duty of the Police department, that so far has been rather recalcitrant in its dealings with the protestors , the illegal obstruction of polling booths the grenade attacks on the protesters ,the speeches of hate, the threats of violence, the threat of succession to the North, road side bombs , as the man said we know what and where our duty lies , so go puff smoke somewhere else.

On the contrary they are responsible for the administration of the election, including the power to call out the security forces. From the horses mouth, as it were, (donkey is perhaps more apt)

Mr. Somchai said he was aware that the Election Commission had the power to call upon the security forces to ensure that the elections took place on time. But the law, he said, is not paramount at a time of intense turmoil. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/world/asia/thailand-election.html

Does that mean the police security forces were not called or not available at the time? I thought Ms. Yingluck had the full cooperation of the Police Force and the CAPO helped her in that.

Well CAPO certainly had the funds if they were not sprnding them on ear medicine. Way too much money as it turns out with nothing to show for it

He said “don’t try to teach us what to do, we know our duties”.

So there was no need to get the CC involved at any stage in making rulings about the election because the EC didn't know. You knew you could order security forces to guard polling stations but you didn't and polling did not take place on the same day. You were then going to reschedule dates for voting at the stations where this did not take place but the CC ruled this out and nullified the election.

Mmm, sure looks like the EC had a real handle on the situation. Pompous ass.

Didn't chalerm advertise that he has appx 200,000 police to protect the polls?

hasn't chalerm been paying up to appx 600,000 police 700 baht per diem in addition to their normal salary during that time?

How many billions of baht was spent by chalerm to protect the people and the polls?

My guess would be with everything chalerm said he was going to do to make sure the polling went smoothly, the EC did not feel it was necessary to ask for more police to protect the polls. after all 600,000 police that were supposedly paid should have been enough.

(the numbers of police are off of the top of my head from memory. If you want exact figures then look it up yourself.)

Half right - the EC just like the government are accountable to the Thai people. Leaving aside the total lack of government accountability, the country is left without a functioning government because the PTP wouldn't listen or work agreeably with the EC and the protestors disrupted the voting in some areas.

The main areas of disruption were the deep south and parts of Bangkok. In both these areas a SOE was in force and the police didn't enforce the law in both areas. The EC is a scapegoat for a lack of law enforcement which is one of the main reasons that Thailand is not a functioning democracy. Only when the police are made responsible to the people & not one party (or individual) and make an effort to enforce the law, including during elections, will this one aspect of democracy be democratic. Other aspects have been covered elsewhere.

My point is that the government, any government, is very publicly subjected to the judgement of the people every four years or less. The EC is certainly responsible to the people, but where's the mechanism to hold them to account?

A democratically elected government is never, ever, required to take instructions from an unelected, unaccountable, body. Quite the reverse in fact.

Surely that under the constitution that everyone keeps harping about given the mandate time frame for elections to be held, why would the EC have advised against it.? It would seem to me that it's because they were not ready to prepare it.

Wouldn't this mean that they're not up to the task, surely they should have had protocol and procedures in place that would let them do their jobs, as per the very constitution they're trying to uphold in that they'd be ready to go, within the mandated time frame?

It sounds like the EC have been complacent in their responsibilities for the initial fiasco, they should have been ready to hold, supervise and conduct any type of election within the 60 day time frame..

• Like 2

Yup, the fault lies completely with the PDRC and the EC. One failed in its duty due to interference from the other.

"Don't tell us how to run a failed election, we know what we are doing!"

It failed because of the ignorance and stupidity of Yingluck and her ex-govt. She forced the elections to go through....

Where in the constitution does it say that the government can postpone an election once the date is set.

You do realise the potential long term ramifications of giving that power to a government.

Why should the vote be postponed because a minority of place may not vote. That is minority report legalese. You can't know exactly which areas won't vote, if you dont try to vote. It is not down to the govenment to say,

Ahhh, boo hop we heard some place won't vote, so we cancel the election. That is the first and simplest turn to dictatorship.

The CC did not give that power to the government. It said that if the government AND the EC agreed then it could be postponed. That is what checks and balances are all about.

As to the question of whose fault it was? I would say it is both the protesters that blocked the election and PT's fault for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Surely that under the constitution that everyone keeps harping about given the mandate time frame for elections to be held, why would the EC have advised against it.? It would seem to me that it's because they were not ready to prepare it.

Wouldn't this mean that they're not up to the task, surely they should have had protocol and procedures in place that would let them do their jobs, as per the very constitution they're trying to uphold in that they'd be ready to go, within the mandated time frame?

It sounds like the EC have been complacent in their responsibilities for the initial fiasco, they should have been ready to hold, supervise and conduct any type of election within the 60 day time frame..

In December the EC already warned the government that circumstances were not good, that was after the Laksi violence.

It would seem that there wasn't much the EC could do to 'smoothen out any problems. The security forces already unable to properly protect innocents.

Of course some will blame the EC anyway, because surely it can't be Ms. Yingluck's fault, or that of her handpicked cabinet.

• Like 1

My point is that the government, any government, is very publicly subjected to the judgement of the people every four years or less. The EC is certainly responsible to the people, but where's the mechanism to hold them to account?

A democratically elected government is never, ever, required to take instructions from an unelected, unaccountable, body. Quite the reverse in fact.

In the local version of democracy there is virtually no mechanism to hold any of them to account. AFAIK EC commissioners are appointed for 4 years and they serve that period unless they resign Similarly there is no real mechanism here to bring a government to account within 4 years.

No one has said that the government should take instructions from the EC. Neither should the EC take instructions from the government. The point is that in order to hold an election, cooperation is needed. PTP failed on that count. They had CAPO/CMPO and the joint Police/army security forces in the south to supposedly enforce the law that the police apparently are unable to do. CAPO/CMPO, run by 3 stooges, totally ignored the election while concentrating on rhetoric and court cases.

Accountability is not very widely practiced in Thailand.

• Like 2

Independent agencies my goat!

Mr. Somchai said that he and the other commissioners were in agreement: They did not oppose elections but wanted them held at an unspecified “suitable time.”

Now..when is that going to be after the idea of Democracy becomes so obfuscated ...so 2056...? Dude you will be dust...

Mr. Somchai’s lack of enthusiasm for the Feb. 2 elections, which were endorsed by royal decree last month when the government dissolved Parliament, underlines the depth of divisions in Thai society after two months of debilitating protests in Bangkok.

He said the Pheu Thai should never order the EC to work as it knew well of the duties.

He said that the EC was working on the matter on a clandestine way and has no need to inform the public every step it was doing.

Not fooling a single person... The anti-government groups physically blockaded entrances. They intimidated anyone who tried to enter, and in most cases put chains or other metal restraints on doors to back up their implied threats of harm to anyone who tried to run the advance poll, or vote in it.

This was in direct contradiction of assurances by the PDRC leader, Suthep Thaugsuban, Speaking to his supporters from the stage at a Bangkok rally, Mr Suthep promised to "oppose" any election, but never to block it. That promise was quickly forgotten, in obvious coordination, speakers at all rally sites in Bangkok and the South urged supporters to seize polling places. They were incited to stop election officials by force, and physically approach voters and "urge" them to turn around and go back home.

We all recall the photos and video...

It is impossible to connect such a basic denial of rights, closely tied with an implied threat of violence, to previous peaceful actions and promises. It is also far-fetched for Mr Suthep and supporters to urge such anti-freedom acts on the very day he bragged about writing to US President Barack Obama and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon to claim his PDRC supports democracy. What a complete farce! One may be sure that if the foreign leaders read Mr Suthep's letter, they are alongside press reports of the PDRC's decidedly unfriendly actions at the polls.

Mr Suthep and his supporters not only stole the rights of fellow citizens. They seriously harmed their own cause. In addition to the no-doubt unfriendly foreign press reports, the PDRC leaders have equally ... and more ironically shot themselves in the foot by antagonizing thousands upon thousands of their own sympathizers.

Many of the would-be two million advance voters were doubtlessly waiting to vote for "none of the candidates" ...thus expressing opposition to the government and government-backed candidates on the ballot. The advance-poll blockades denied such voters their chance even to show support of the PDRC in this manner.

The Election Commission also failed its prescribed duty. Sack them all I say.. they have been most obstreperous in all of this and visibly implicit in their support and bias towards PDRC..

AS I recall...EC member Thirawat Thirarojwit was out and about out on Feb 2nd observing the blatant law-breaking and intimidation by the PDRC, and told the media, "the problem is how to solve the disputes".

That is not the duty of the EC or Mr Thirawat. The commission's only task is to hold a free, fair election. As the Constitution Court told the EC directly. If it cannot do that, it should postpone the vote.

The EC did neither. By refusing to counteract the illegal blockade, however, it became part of the unjustifiable actions. Not party to the solution only part of the problem..Sack them all.... cut off all the heads of all the snakes if you want to start clean... not by some "...clandestine way that has no need to inform the public every step it was doing."...eh Mr Somchai...? Resign... Resign Resign.. Don't dictate politics... you are a bean counter charged with putting on the "good show" in a way fair to all. For you to even comment on any of the political goings on other than directly related to your job description is specious at the very least and only sullies the waters with implications of your own bias...Best keep them "clandestine"...

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 2

In December the EC already warned the government that circumstances were not good, that was after the Laksi violence.

It would seem that there wasn't much the EC could do to 'smoothen out any problems. The security forces already unable to properly protect innocents.

Of course some will blame the EC anyway, because surely it can't be Ms. Yingluck's fault, or that of her handpicked cabinet.

That's just EC speak for we don't know what to do mate ;)

The EC had the ability to safeguard the voting, they should have been working from a set of protocol and procedures, they didn't in this case, they winged it, they knew what had to be done, as they have the procedures and protocol, by Royal Decree no less, and they chose not to, instead they let the PDRC run rough shot over them, they allowed the protesters to disrupt the voting stations, their own officials in some locations failed to show up.. lets get this straight, Suthep has always stated that his protests were of a peaceful nature, so the EC should not have had any reason to fear for anyone's safety or their own safety should they?

The reality was very different. They had the means to ensure the elections were able to run smoothly, they chose not to use the assets they had at their disposal.

To me, that means they didn't have a Plan B, or any other kind of contingency plan, they were fore warned days, if not weeks in advance that the PDRC would do all they could to disrupt the vote, in an attempt to nullify it.. they, the EC failed again by not sticking to the protocols and procedures, in that they didn't seek sufficient protection of the voters, or the voting stations.

The Government, for better or worse called the elections using the mandate of the constitution, in time, well according to some they were 4 days over, so it's not like the EC didn't get sufficient warning.. Fault the Government all you want, but the EC failed to deliver their end of responsibilities, and they have a cheek to tell others "Don't tell us how to do our job" well perhaps if you'd done your job more effectively in the first place, then there would not be cause for complaints

• Like 1

Independent agencies my goat!
Mr. Somchai said that he and the other commissioners were in agreement: They did not oppose elections but wanted them held at an unspecified “suitable time.”
Now..when is that going to be after the idea of Democracy becomes so obfuscated ...so 2056...? Dude you will be dust...
Mr. Somchai’s lack of enthusiasm for the Feb. 2 elections, which were endorsed by royal decree last month when the government dissolved Parliament, underlines the depth of divisions in Thai society after two months of debilitating protests in Bangkok.
He said the Pheu Thai should never order the EC to work as it knew well of the duties.
He said that the EC was working on the matter on a clandestine way and has no need to inform the public every step it was doing.
Not fooling a single person... The anti-government groups physically blockaded entrances. They intimidated anyone who tried to enter, and in most cases put chains or other metal restraints on doors to back up their implied threats of harm to anyone who tried to run the advance poll, or vote in it.
This was in direct contradiction of assurances by the PDRC leader, Suthep Thaugsuban, Speaking to his supporters from the stage at a Bangkok rally, Mr Suthep promised to "oppose" any election, but never to block it. That promise was quickly forgotten, in obvious coordination, speakers at all rally sites in Bangkok and the South urged supporters to seize polling places. They were incited to stop election officials by force, and physically approach voters and "urge" them to turn around and go back home.
We all recall the photos and video...
It is impossible to connect such a basic denial of rights, closely tied with an implied threat of violence, to previous peaceful actions and promises. It is also far-fetched for Mr Suthep and supporters to urge such anti-freedom acts on the very day he bragged about writing to US President Barack Obama and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon to claim his PDRC supports democracy. What a complete farce! One may be sure that if the foreign leaders read Mr Suthep's letter, they are alongside press reports of the PDRC's decidedly unfriendly actions at the polls.
Mr Suthep and his supporters not only stole the rights of fellow citizens. They seriously harmed their own cause. In addition to the no-doubt unfriendly foreign press reports, the PDRC leaders have equally ... and more ironically shot themselves in the foot by antagonizing thousands upon thousands of their own sympathizers.
Many of the would-be two million advance voters were doubtlessly waiting to vote for "none of the candidates" ...thus expressing opposition to the government and government-backed candidates on the ballot. The advance-poll blockades denied such voters their chance even to show support of the PDRC in this manner.
The Election Commission also failed its prescribed duty. Sack them all I say.. they have been most obstreperous in all of this and visibly implicit in their support and bias towards PDRC..
AS I recall...EC member Thirawat Thirarojwit was out and about out on Feb 2nd observing the blatant law-breaking and intimidation by the PDRC, and told the media, "the problem is how to solve the disputes".
That is not the duty of the EC or Mr Thirawat. The commission's only task is to hold a free, fair election. As the Constitution Court told the EC directly. If it cannot do that, it should postpone the vote.
The EC did neither. By refusing to counteract the illegal blockade, however, it became part of the unjustifiable actions. Not party to the solution only part of the problem..Sack them all.... cut off all the heads of all the snakes if you want to start clean... not by some "...clandestine way that has no need to inform the public every step it was doing."...eh Mr Somchai...? Resign... Resign Resign.. Don't dictate politics... you are a bean counter charged with putting on the "good show" in a way fair to all. For you to even comment on any of the political goings on other than directly related to your job description is specious at the very least and only sullies the waters with implications of your own bias...Best keep them "clandestine"...

The government could postpone the election by issuing a new Royal Decree the CC said and they also suggested the government and EC get together. That was on the 24th of January. Obfuscation by PM, push by Pheu Thai MPs and members and the elections took place.

THe EC warned after the Laksi violence where security forces couldn't protects anti-government protesters from attacking red-shirts. So how could the EC hope to 'protect' elections by calling in same said security forces?

Again, It wasn't us, it's the others to blame bah.gif

That's just EC speak for we don't know what to do mate wink.png

The EC had the ability to safeguard the voting, they should have been working from a set of protocol and procedures, they didn't in this case, they winged it, they knew what had to be done, as they have the procedures and protocol, by Royal Decree no less, and they chose not to, instead they let the PDRC run rough shot over them, they allowed the protesters to disrupt the voting stations, their own officials in some locations failed to show up.. lets get this straight, Suthep has always stated that his protests were of a peaceful nature, so the EC should not have had any reason to fear for anyone's safety or their own safety should they?

The reality was very different. They had the means to ensure the elections were able to run smoothly, they chose not to use the assets they had at their disposal.

To me, that means they didn't have a Plan B, or any other kind of contingency plan, they were fore warned days, if not weeks in advance that the PDRC would do all they could to disrupt the vote, in an attempt to nullify it.. they, the EC failed again by not sticking to the protocols and procedures, in that they didn't seek sufficient protection of the voters, or the voting stations.

The Government, for better or worse called the elections using the mandate of the constitution, in time, well according to some they were 4 days over, so it's not like the EC didn't get sufficient warning.. Fault the Government all you want, but the EC failed to deliver their end of responsibilities, and they have a cheek to tell others "Don't tell us how to do our job" well perhaps if you'd done your job more effectively in the first place, then there would not be cause for complaints

You don't fault the government then ??? prevention better than cure. do not do wrong---no need to have protests--no need for a caretaker government---

Sorry story --NO elections until after the court findings, if you did no wrong what is the problem, elections free and fair, but some sort of reform re--polling activities and dire problems for ANY illegal dealings.

That's just EC speak for we don't know what to do mate wink.png

The EC had the assets? You mean the security forces which couldn't even protect anti-government protesters from attacking red-shirts in the Laksi violence? Those assets? Should the EC ask the army to safeguard the voting stations and access to them? Wouldn't that in itself not be an admission that the circumstances weren't right?

The government choose to ignore any advise to postpone the elections including the CC which told them how they could. The search till they found people who could tell them "please continue" and Ms. Yingluck used it to say "Others told us we should continue".

Now all is the EC's fault, obviously and so.