cars with LPG

It doesn't really save costs. After ur air flow and fuel pump will be damaged, noisy valves and lifters, finally after a year you will spend the savings on engine repairs.

Btw. About the driving bomb: if gasoline is leaking, u can smell and see it. If LPG is leaking, you not really notice this until.......

• Like 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw. About the driving bomb: if gasoline is leaking, u can smell and see it. If LPG is leaking, you not really notice this until.......

This is not true Stinger. Special additives are added to both LPG and CNG to make them noticeable and identifiable by smell just for that reason.

It doesn't really save costs. After ur air flow and fuel pump will be damaged, noisy valves and lifters, finally after a year you will spend the savings on engine repairs.

I've saved about 150,000 baht in the last 5 years. We have however just relaced the ignition coil as LPG is hard on ignition systems. B2500 + 200 labour!

As for the bomb. I am sure people said this about petrol power vehicles over 100 years ago but some how we got over all that hysteria and all drive or have driven around with over 25 litres of highly volatile fuel under our children who ride/rode in the back seat.

52689512.jpg

They have also been adding "smell" to natural gas/LPG for also over 60+ years. Just turn on any gas cooker in Thailand and see.

Someone mention Mercedes with CNG. You would be surprised how many Mercedes one sees at LPG filling stations, and Camrys and Accords and....even Fortunas!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Last week I posted a question regarding my Mitsubishi Lancer E.X. 1.8 liter engine with L. P.G. fitted. ( 28000 kilometers) Now on third set of spark plugs. I read with interest that it is quite normal, to fit new spark plugs every 10,000 kilometers.

My wife's niece who drives a Proton 1.6 liter, fitted with L.P.G. is on her second set of spark plugs. Her odometer is showing 100,000 kilometers, plus. How can there be such a vast difference in the life of spark plugs using L/P/G ?

Well can't tell exactly but I used Bosch platinum in my cars and actually had no need to change plugs for well over 50,000k I had the car for 2 years, drove it quite often and never had issues, even sold the car on that was 2 years ago and to my knowledge, not sure if they've been changed yet but I don't think it's likely, both most recent owners have not driven it all that much, I know of the last 2 owners too, it is probably time to change now that you brought it up, but again as in understand it, it would be timely but not yet necessary. It was a 1.8L VW engine and actually not the first one either..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hi, Last week I posted a question regarding my Mitsubishi Lancer E.X. 1.8 liter engine with L. P.G. fitted. ( 28000 kilometers) Now on third set of spark plugs. I read with interest that it is quite normal, to fit new spark plugs every 10,000 kilometers.

My wife's niece who drives a Proton 1.6 liter, fitted with L.P.G. is on her second set of spark plugs. Her odometer is showing 100,000 kilometers, plus. How can there be such a vast difference in the life of spark plugs using L/P/G ?

That was me and I didn't say it was normal just that is just what I do and what you could do.

As I use standard plugs as i cannot easily find BKR7 plugs. So I cannot go one number up.from BKR6 as NGK recommends.

Your Lancer is easier as you can use the BKR6 plugs from a Suzuki Carry up from the 5 heat range it uses now. They are cheap as is labour here. So cost is not really a concern when added to the oil change at 10,000 kms.

I do not know what spark plugs your wife's Proton uses so cannot comment on availability/service life/cost etc.

If you do not use synthetic oil and change you oil more often than I do then....

What i suggested is just a pragmatic solution to your Lancers plug wear. You can still buy a set of LPG plugs for 2400 baht, if you wish, and change them whenever you like. I was gong to include the make and model of the LPG plugs I found but so far I have not found where i scribbled it down 5 years ago.

In Bangkok I went to the part shop on the corner of Sukhumvit 56

Edited by VocalNeal