Thai rice scheme: Another farmer collapses under burden of debt

webfact

Red shirt supporters will turn away from this story, because they don't wish to acknowledge that Pheu Thai's rice scheme policy destroyed the lives of farmers, while the administration's own pockets bulged with graft and corruption, and while the country was taken off the top rice exporting tier. Even officials from within Pheu Thai itself this week have dropped hints that the programme will be discontinued even if they remain in power, in itself a tacit admission of its failure. But for many of their hard-core supporters, the rice scheme was only a blessing for the farmers. Time for them to visit a farm, meet with these families and see how far that argument takes them.

Well said. A lot of farmers are desperate and don't know anymore how to make ends meet. Sunday my wife talked with here family up north, they didn't get paid yet for there rice and are having big problems. They are to proud to ask us for help, but we decided that we can not just sit at the sidelines and watch them go under.

So We bought a lot of food and other stuf and Friday we drive up there. I live myself in a small village, and when my neighbours found out what we are planning to do, they keep bringing food to give them. By now my garage is so full, I can not even park my truck in it anymore. One of my neighbours told me he will follow us in his truck, because I can not load everything in mine. This is a 750 km round trip.

Thank god there good people around who feel the needs of others. And if one of the red supporters want to have a look how the life of a rice farmer realy is these days they should come along and see the reality of how this so called government are treating the farmers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like this post because there's a very human touch here, and for people to finger point at me, without knowing anything about me, or what I've done to help the people in the village I stay in is rich, I earn good money, and I've got pretty much all that I want out of life, I have given out unconditional loans to several Tapioca farmers who are friends, in the past year, and I write off anything under 10,000 baht as down to just helping out.

I've taken the kids to the zoo and go swimming simply because it's not just the farmers who struggle, it's a lot of people, and if I'm going anywhere, I'll ask if anyone needs anything, and I'll buy them and they can pay me back as and when they have the money. I simply don't feel the need to feel surrounded by money to make me happy, I'd much rather see other people happy, knowing I helped..

The world and Thailand needs good people like you Dutch, big thumps up from me..

And we do have rice farmers in our family, and I've told them if they couldn't sell their rice locally I'd have bought it from them, and give it away to the villagers. It would have been a win win situation for them, and the villagers, and me too, as I'd have felt accomplished in doing something good for them and the community.

So for the people who wish to judge me for my lack of compassion, then until you know me personally, then judge ye not and ye shall not be judged.

Again Dutch.. great post!!

Although we do not know the actual cause of death, stress can be fatal. The guy was likely under great stress.

"Researchers at Yale University School of Medicine have found that stress may actually lead to sudden death"

• Like 2

That bad, bad Govt.

Responsible for people committing suicide due to financial problems.

Good thing we have the PAD-Dem's pointing that out, and showing the rightful cause....And I am very sure they don't do it for political gain.....

They are 'altruism' personified. Especially as it concerns people they like to refer to as 'buffalo's'.

Did the article refer to suicide?

The sad thing here is that without knowing the full details of this mans background or what was the cause of death, many are quick to start pointing fingers.. shame on you

Exactly; the repossession of his new pickup or tractor might have been the last straw.

• Like 1

The Government will still hail the rice scheme as a great success,

not for the farmers, but for the middle men,corrupt officials,with

their noses in the trough,money that could have been put to much

better use.

regards Worgeordie

No you are wrong there - they will still hail it as a great success and how it has bettered the life of the farmers - they still think that fairy tale has legs to run. They won't say much about the millers, huge landowning farmers, middle men and warehousemen, not a word about the extraordinary corruption windfall to those there to serve the country. The PTP propaganda machine is still pimping out their bad blood. Edited by slipperx

I think you'll find that it was the victim's wife explaining why the death might have occurred.

She's only speculating, it could have been from natural causes.

What about a bit of sympathy for the poor family.

Your words show where your true morals lie!

Your post is absolutely disgusting!!

Why is it disgusting? Because unless you're the coroner who's completed the autopsy, then NOBODY knows what the cause of death was!!!! Speculating is all that most people are doing?

What I do feel sympathy for is the family of this man has to pick up his burden, including his debt..

Why do I need to show sympathy for a man who we knew NOTHING about, who may have died from natural causes, should I feel sympathy for all the chidren who die from cot death? from all the victims of RTA's .. And I sure don't need YOU to tell me where my moral compass points

Instead you don't even bother condoning the finger pointing when the cause of death is still to be determined.. Get off your moral High horse!!

I rest my case...

At the local shop yesterday wifey was catching up on the local gossip.

One of the ladies started crying when she said that yesterday the local rice mill was offering 4500 bht per tonne of rice!

If that continues it will be left to rot in the ground because it's not worth growing.