Letter from British Embassy certifying my new passport ?

I have seen no reports of Jomtien wanting one.

Jomtien Immigration did require the UK Embassy letter when I renewed my retirement extension 4 weeks ago, coincident with 'stamp transfer' from old (full) passport to the new passport. I asked the girls at Reception a few days before the event and they said yes so I popped up to Bangkok and got it.

The original was submitted with the extension renewal paperwork and not returned with the passport.

I can recall several reports by members stating they did not have a letter and got their stamps transferred.

That is a bit different than asking if one was needed. Perhaps you were told something different than reality.

ubonjoe,

I mostly respect your knowledge on matters pertaining to the Thai Immigration circus and your posts are invariably helpful and correct and hundreds of members benefit accordingly.

However, you have no direct experience with Jomtien Immigration or any others apart from the ones that you deal directly with and rely on other members posts for your empirical knowledge. Despite your suggestion that if I hadn't asked about the letter, they would not have asked for it being a distinct possibility in any Immigration office, you can only offer that your recollection of several members reports from last year contradicts my actual experience last month.

I wager that the collective experience of many filing extensions anywhere in Thailand is that 'more is better' when it comes to the vagaries of paperwork where what they officially request and what they actually accept is usually inconsistent. I could always have ignored the Receptionists claim and filed without the letter and reported here that I was sent away to get the letter and come back another day. Maybe if that had happened, only then you would have updated your empirical knowledge? However, I chose to get the free letter as advised by someone that works for the Jomtien Immigration Office and left the 'reality' of not getting the letter (and possibly the extension) to others.

Thanks for your consideration,

NL