Washed bike, now it won't run

DavidMavec

Hello...

I took my Honda Click to the car wash as I normally do and when they were done washing it as I tried to ride, the bike would jerk forward, then stop, jerk forward again, and then the bike would stop. The bike does not ride normally at all and this is quite dangerous. I took it right back to the car wash and walked home.

I have never had any problems with this bike and the feeling is unlike a battery problem or any issues I've encountered.

Could someone tell me if it will work again once it is dry? Anyone have a similar experience? Is the car wash responsible for getting water in the wrong place?

Any ideas from knowledgable people?

Edited by DavidMavec

99% sure they washed it with a high pressure spray and water got under your main neutral/earth from the battery. Just take off the mainearth where it is connected to the engine casing clean it up with some alcohol and wire wool and put it back. Should be fine. Never wash your bike with a high pressure spray, garden hose pressure is best.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 2

99% sure they washed it with a high pressure spray and water got under your main neutral/earth from the battery. Just take off the mainearth where it is connected to the engine casing clean it up with some alcohol and wire wool and put it back. Should be fine. Never wash your bike with a high pressure spray, garden hose pressure is best.

They definitely washed it with a high pressure spray. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and try that, thanks.

Depending on the bike ya got and motor set up you have, but most bikes just...

Remove sparkplug wire from sparkplug dry with paper towel or contact cleaner if ya got some,

Re-secure wire to plug.... zoom zoom off ya go....

Pressure washer works great on motorbikes,,,,,

Just have to know how to use a pressure washer without destroying what you are trying to wash....Kapish???

Edited by glassdude007
  • Like 1

Depending on the bike ya got and motor set up you have, but most bikes just...

Remove sparkplug wire from sparkplug dry with paper towel or contact cleaner if ya got some,

Re-secure wire to plug.... zoom zoom off ya go....

Pressure washer works great on motorbikes,,,,,

Just have to know how to use a pressure washer without destroying what you are trying to wash....Kapish???

most car washes havent got a clue how to wash a bike and the pressure for a car or van is way to high

for a bike

ive also got my bike back completely covered in some slippery shiny wax which meant the brakes didnt

work right for awhile and i was sliding around in the seat

better off doing it yourself IMO

• Like 1

Yup like others mentioned, the spark plug wire got wet. No need to take the plug out just remove the wire and blow it with compressed air.

Alternatively you can leave the bike idling for 5-10 min, the engine will get hot and all the water will boil out.

The battery just starts the engine. Once started, it is not used. The battery is not causing the problem. More than likely that water somehow got in your carb. Hopefully it will dry out, or the water will burn out. You should be okay after that, or after your carb is re-built. Very cheap to have that done. On a side note, it could be that the wire going to the spark plug is just hanging on, causing a miss. Very easy to check also. By now you have probably spent less than 200 baht, and it is running fine.

The battery just starts the engine. Once started, it is not used. The battery is not causing the problem. More than likely that water somehow got in your carb. Hopefully it will dry out, or the water will burn out. You should be okay after that, or after your carb is re-built. Very cheap to have that done. On a side note, it could be that the wire going to the spark plug is just hanging on, causing a miss. Very easy to check also. By now you have probably spent less than 200 baht, and it is running fine.

Yes forgot most of these scooters have carbs. If you're buying new get fuel injection.

I am guessing water got in the engine but I don't really know about motorbikes so I am not sure.

Why bother commenting if you don't know about bikes????

Well someone had to state the obvious - there's water somewhere in the engine. :)

Happened to me the same last week, with my off roader.

Took to local mechanic, found that water had got in Carb, cleaned, dried, runs fine again.

Reckon thats your problem.

• Like 1

Happened to me the same last week, with my off roader.

Took to local mechanic, found that water had got in Carb, cleaned, dried, runs fine again.

Reckon thats your problem.

I had a similar problem with my Kawasaki ZX130, draining the carb was all needed. But please consider that most Clicks have fuel injection... Water in the airfilter might cause a problem.

I told her lad, don't take the saddle off when using a hose. Yep, he took it off. Would not start. His mate picked him up. I dried everything and left it out in the sun with the saddle off.

In a couple of hours it started.

Mrs. Trans opened the seat on her PCX and washed the bike with a hose, battery box full of water. sad.png Drained the battery charge over night. Took the battery out and charged it, left the bike in the sun. Sorted. rolleyes.gif

They definitely washed it with a high pressure spray. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow and try that, thanks.

I think the water has got to your Spark Plug. Quite common.

No big problem.

(1) Gently pull away the plastic/rubber cap-holder of the Spark Plug. (It is located above the cylinder head)

(2) From the original bike tool-kit, select the Spark Plug Wrench. (It is a hexagonal tube with a a L shaped handle)

(3) Unscrew the Spark Plug.

(4) Dry the Spark Plug tip under a blast of Hot Air.

(5) Wipe the Spark Plug dry & clean, and for better performance reset the Spark Plug Gap, after sand papering the Spark PLug Pin and the Firing Arc covering it.

(6) Screw back the Spark Plug

Fire up and Zoom off!

Hope this helps............

Quite common ? wub.png

Sorry but I have never read so much utter nonsense in my life. How can washing a bike get water onto a spark plug that is screwed into the cylinder head where it is sealed ? blink.png

If water could enter the cylinder due to washing how on earth could it compress and fire ?

What may have happened is water has gotten into the HT lead that attaches to the spark plug and may need drying out or you may have gotten the ignition system wet.

No removal of the spark plug itself is needed.

Let the bike dry out and as said just wash it with a bucket and sponge or hose at most from now on thumbsup.gif

spark plug on my honda wave gets wet sometime under very hard rain and you need to get the plug dry to run it again.

So, it is possible for water to leak to spark plug.

Fuel contamination as mentioned (Water in fuel) thats why it seems to riding funny as you explained (correct me if wrong) the bike may run then all of a sudden choke (die) this is fuel contamination. You need to clean carb out (not a big job, get local soi bike shop to do for you about and check plug anyway -150B) is a reason why you should refrain from using whisky bottle gas to fill up, more chance of contamination. Only use these in an emergency - if on empty in middle of nowhere. Best use gas stations, then hand pumped, bottle fuel in emergency only. They have either got the water into the carb or worse into the fuel tank (means you will have to dump the fuel if this is the case) just a drop of water can cause problems.

And yeah, watch the wash guys for being over generous with the tyre shine (on treads?) and slippery 'armour all' type crap on brake discs - leathal

As said scooter can run without a battery, if fitted with kick start.

As some others have stated, most likely that water has got into the HT lead or spark plug cap, just needs drying, try a piece of tissue paper! Hopefully no water in the carb but is possible, probable best to let a mechanic sort that if you don't know what you are doing. Best of luck.

Fuel contamination as mentioned (Water in fuel) thats why it seems to riding funny as you explained (correct me if wrong) the bike may run then all of a sudden choke (die) this is fuel contamination. You need to clean carb out (not a big job, get local soi bike shop to do for you about and check plug anyway -150B) is a reason why you should refrain from using whisky bottle gas to fill up, more chance of contamination. Only use these in an emergency - if on empty in middle of nowhere. Best use gas stations, then hand pumped, bottle fuel in emergency only. They have either got the water into the carb or worse into the fuel tank (means you will have to dump the fuel if this is the case) just a drop of water can cause problems.

And yeah, watch the wash guys for being over generous with the tyre shine (on treads?) and slippery 'armour all' type crap on brake discs - leathal

The lads KSR would not kick start. Water in the wiring connections (ignition).

The lads KSR would not kick start. Water in the wiring connections (ignition).

I inferred from the OP that the bike would start, but then jerked/stopped when trying to drive forward.

My experience with wet leads post car wash have prevented starting altogether, despite cranking.

After blow dry and a bit of warming...normal operation has been restored.

Hey OP, what is the latest?

Edited by papa al