Had a Hard Morning on Thai Visa

ThePunPun

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All looks pretty basic hotel-ish grub to me. sad.png

Actually transam that is just what it is not. That is why it is so popular. The Pun Pun food is not classy. It is basic home cooking with enormous serves. It does not look like hotel food and it does not taste like it either. No prizes would be won for food presentation though. The photos look a bit like the food but the taste is there and you will not go hungry,

Cost wise it sounds about the same as many farang places. Per half kilo of meat or chicken though they would be cheapest by far.

John is a pretty nice guy too and has been here a long long time.

• Like 1

.... as I note you are on line now...... looking forward to your arrival GVR.

We will fill you up til there is no room for bad germs

J

As am I looking forward to getting past the 28 hour trip there J to get settled in and acclimatized to the very hot n humid 100 + degree F weather there in April. FL humid heat still takes my breath away after one summer here and I came almost straight from the high desert heat of Vegas... Was at first concerned about getting a taxi to the Pun Pun from the airport on my late nite arrival, but I read the taxis follow the arrivals at Chiang Mai airport, so shouldn't be a problem getting a taxi to the Pun Pun from the airport late at night? Looking forward to meeting you J and hopefully some other expats in Chiang Mai posting here at Thai Visa during my 30 day visit to Thailand.. Regards to all..

Edited by BohemianDaddyo

Where is this place?

As he is a sponsor I hope I can get away with posting this. http://www.armms.com/punpu/index.shtml

The Pun Pun is situated at

321 Charoenrat Road, Chiang Mai

on the riverside, just 50 metres south of the Rama IX bridge.

Nice - thanks Harry. I think my daughter's nursery is in the same road (very close judging by the map). If I'm right, looks like a handy place for breakfast. Edited by inthepink

Can someone from the US please tell me what 'biscuits'are. In the UK a biscuit is sweet, maybe what you call cookies? Another TV sponsor who's restaurant we walk past daily has on offer 'biscuits and gravy' - to us Brits that's a cookie served with a sauce made from the juice of meat! Yuk!

"American English and British English use the word "biscuit" to refer to two distinctly different modern foods. Early hard biscuits (North American: cookies) were derived from a twice-baked bread, whereas the North American biscuit is similar to a savoury European scone." Wilkepedia.

This popular southern 'comfort food', along with the popularity of fried foods for residents of the south east part of the US is a primary reason the southerners here are statistically far more overweight and obese than Americans living in other regions of the US.. If overweight, or obese unfit women [or men] are your thing, you'll find a majority of them here in US Dixie land.. I doubt many male expats living in Thailand would be attracted to the plethora of overweight, or obese US women here in south east Dixie land though given the alluring, enticing alternative found in Thailand.. wai2.gif

Edited by BohemianDaddyo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All looks pretty basic hotel-ish grub to me. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Actually transam that is just what it is not. That is why it is so popular. The Pun Pun food is not classy. It is basic home cooking with enormous serves. It does not look like hotel food and it does not taste like it either. No prizes would be won for food presentation though. The photos look a bit like the food but the taste is there and you will not go hungry,

Cost wise it sounds about the same as many farang places. Per half kilo of meat or chicken though they would be cheapest by far.

Why would anyone want to go out to eat 'basic home cooking'...not even good home cooking.

If you can eat it at home, why bother.

You go out and pay for good food....at least I do.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All looks pretty basic hotel-ish grub to me. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Why would anyone want to go out to eat 'basic home cooking'...not even good home cooking.

If you can eat it at home, why bother.

You go out and pay for good food....at least I do.

I eat out because I can't be bothered to cook at home. I couldn't say whether the food at this establishment is good or not because I haven't eaten there yet. Rather hard to tell from a picture.
  • Like 2

Where is this place?

As he is a sponsor I hope I can get away with posting this. http://www.armms.com/punpu/index.shtml

The Pun Pun is situated at

321 Charoenrat Road, Chiang Mai

on the riverside, just 50 metres south of the Rama IX bridge.

Nice - thanks Harry. I think my daughter's nursery is in the same road (very close judging by the map). If I'm right, looks like a handy place for breakfast.

Since this topic is on the Pun Pun Guesthouse, Is the Pun Pun a fitting location to be at during Songkran - as in not that close while still not that far away from the Chiang Mai Thai New Year festivities, and the old city moat area? Is the Pun Pun within easy bicycle distance from not being keen on renting a scooter w/out a motorcycle license, much less the multitude of vehicular accidents during this time of drunken revelry? Come to think of it, riding a bicycle there may be just as dangerous as a scooter.. coffee1.gif

Edited by BohemianDaddyo

May I suggest that Mr. Pun Pun adds prices to his dishes.

They look very nice, but I've never been (new to CM) and am very budget conscious.

Don't like to go to a new place, then suffer sticker shock and have to walk back out.

Don't worry, you won't have sticker shock at Pun Pun, unless you are a balloon chaser and looking for something for nothing. smile.png

๊Ummm.. it's also not exactly cheap like some of the places near the moat / Moon Muang Soi 1-2.

You could argue that the portions are bigger, and that the food is better / more authentic and that's probably true. But let's have some of the prices then people can judge for themselves how sticket shocked (or not) they are.

๊Ummm.. it's also not exactly cheap like some of the places near the moat / Moon Muang Soi 1-2.

The portions are bigger and the food is better and you get the Thai Visa discount. biggrin.png

There are some prices on the website: http://www.armms.com/punpu/index.shtml

I can only see one price - for the special - but ฿110 for spaghetti bolognese with a side dish of garlic bread sounds cheap to me.

Can someone from the US please tell me what 'biscuits'are.

They are something like scones, but not sweet in any way. You can eat them with butter or gravy if you want something savory or honey or jam if you want something sweet. They are one of the things that I miss most when it come to American food. Some places make them, but not very well. There is a Popeye's Chicken somewhere in Thailand that makes them and they are the best that I've had here.

Thanks Ulysses. Never seen anything like that. So, what's gravy in the US? I suspect that's going to be different too.

Yes. Southern US gravy is like a white sauce. Typically made from the fat left over from frying (what they call) sausage. Then flour and milk is added to turn it into a white sauce.

The relative weirdness doesn't end there, because literally everything is different from a British definition:

* Chicken Fried Steak --> Does not involve chicken.

* Biscuits --> Kind of crumbly soft cornbread buns. (Can be wheat too, but in the South cornbread is everywhere)

* Sausage --> Not sausage shaped at all. It's a slice of (very) processed meat.

Jimmy-Dean.jpg

So once you open it, it turns out it's basically mildy spiced minced meat:

03-Jimmy-Dean-Sausage-raw.jpg

Which is then shaped into any convenient shape.. usually just hamburger shaped patties. But could just as easily be mince, or small rolles (skinless sausage shape I suppose) But this is fairly typical:

06-Cooked-Jimmy-Dean.jpg

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30499-buttermilk-biscuits-and-sausage-cream-gravy

Anyway, I'm intentionally ridiculing it a bit in the text, but it is quite a good working man's breakfast. Especially as it has all the important food groups: fat, carbs and salt. ;)

I do like the South; they don't do pretense, which is very refreshing.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I can only see one price - for the special

There is one special each day. You have to click of the different days of the week on the right hand side to see the others. Bear in mind that the portions are big.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"* Biscuits --> Kind of crumbly soft cornbread buns. (Can be wheat too, but in the South cornbread is everywhere)"

Biscuits are made with wheat flour and -usually - buttermilk. Cornbread is made with corn and is very different from biscuits. IMO, Dave of the Duke's makes the best cornbread in Chiang Mai and maybe Thailand.

I can only see one price - for the special

There is one special each day. You have to click of the different days of the week on the right hand side to see the others. Bear in mind that the portions are big.

Oh yes. Cheers - I missed that.

I have to say, I don't much like the sound of river and onions though!

• Like 1

Why don't you tell us some prices Winnie?

Because I don't remember them exactly. Most of it was around 200 Baht or so IIRC. Which I suppose is okay now, but I was there years and years ago and it seemed spendy at the time. Or maybe it was the ambience that made me expect guesthouse prices.

Thanks Ulysses. Never seen anything like that. So, what's gravy in the US? I suspect that's going to be different too.

To me honest, I never had them with gravy in the US. That is kind of a redneck/country thing, but I love them with butter or honey. They use some kind of special gravy. I know that.

biscuit and gravy are usually served with ham or pork sausage, eggs, and fried potatoes/hash browns at breakfast. The gravy is make from browned flour using the meat drippings, with milk/cream added for the thickness desired.

Just to clartfy some of the guessitametes of how to make biscuits, cornbread, gravy, etc. that have been offered, its good some of those people are eagting at resturants and not cooking in them.

Fannie Farmer cook book will answer most questions and a novice can learn to cook up some real downhome type meals, if your willing to read, follow instruction,and learn.

The point is....I look at those photos and think their food is <deleted>...so I will not go there.

If they were great shots of really good food, not something slapped together and some thought put into it...then I would give it a go when in the area.

Targeting groups that like crap looking food is not a great marketing strategy.

May I suggest that Mr. Pun Pun adds prices to his dishes.

They look very nice, but I've never been (new to CM) and am very budget conscious.

Don't like to go to a new place, then suffer sticker shock and have to walk back out.

Don't worry, you won't have sticker shock at Pun Pun, unless you are a balloon chaser and looking for something for nothing. smile.png

You could argue that the portions are bigger, and that the food is better / more authentic and that's probably true. But let's have some of the prices then people can judge for themselves how sticket shocked (or not) they are.

How does it compare to Sausage King?

BIg breakfast at SK for 99bht inc tea.

To me honest, I never had them with gravy in the US. That is kind of a redneck/country thing, but I love them with butter or honey. They use some kind of special gravy. I know that.

biscuit and gravy are usually served with ham or pork sausage, eggs, and fried potatoes/hash browns at breakfast. The gravy is make from browned flour using the meat drippings, with milk/cream added for the thickness desired.

That sounds great. I have had biscuits and gravy once or twice in Thailand and, to me, it seemed like a waste of (not so) good biscuits. I have a feeling that this dish is much better in America, like so many others. I remember seeing them at truck stops in the USA, but never tried them.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Let's keep this going, so we can reach a five page thread!

chiengmaijoe said

Post 17 A perfect example of why it isn't worth the hassle of advertising here, if ever I saw it.

Post 22 Other than topics discussing the weather (Rain) or the likes, anything getting a bit lively or interesting rarely gets past 4 pages.

Totally agree Nancy. Let us prove chiengmaijoe with his two statements (above) wrong.

Don't just take the easy option and press 'I Like' make a comment and support Gonzo! and down with the negative posters.