london thai embassy verses birmingham thai consulate

I'm a 60 year old male uk citizen, currently in Watford; and a past user of the Hull consulate- back in the happy days.

I am back in Thailand on 1st Mayl, and want to enter with a single entry non-imm O, so I can apply for a 12 month extension for reason of retirement.

Which is something I've done before.

As a result of the "demise" of hull, and the new regs stating postal visa applications in the uk can only be made to London, what does the forum consider my easiest/best option:

1) Apply by post to London

2) Apply in person in London

3) Apply in person in Birmingham

Also, I know I need the visa application form correctly filled in, 2 current passport size photos, a uk passport with a few years to run on it, and the fee of £50.

I'm sure I'm also going to need to prove some level of financial support, but can't quiet see what. I sent an email to London enquiring about this, but received no reply.

Any one know the answer?

Is it the proof of £20,000 sterling in a uk savings intuition, or equivalent to 800,000 TB ?

I miss Hull, and Thailand.

• Like 2

I would call the Birmingham Consulate first and ask them for advice

on what would be your easiest option. I found them easy and helpful whenever

i've called them.

Here's their website info:

http://www.thailand-visa.com/ContactUs-for-a-thai-visa

If you do need to travel to the Birmingham Consulate you can get a train from

Watford Junction to Birmingham New Street.

The embassy will not issue a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over they only do the OA visa.

Your only choice is one of the consulates and even at one of them it may be difficult. You could also get a single entry tourist visa and do a change of visa status at immigration to obtain a non immigrant visa entry and then the extension of stay,

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Pardon me but what is this about the 'demise' of Hull consulate? I've seen nothing about it and their website appears active ...

The Hull Hon. Consulate still exists as do all the other Hon Consulates in the UK. However, what has changed ( not just for Hull) is that the range of service which can be offered has been restricted, particularly in respect of issuing Multi- Entry NON "O" visas .

This I suspect is the result of providing an "over friendly" service to the many who sought to exploit the visa system.

Edit

spelling

Edited by thepool

Thanks for the replies.

Lacking any solid info, I will act as follows.

Seeing as how now all postal visa applications are having to be sent to/dealt with by the London Embassy, I will assume that the Embassy will be even busier, with all the attendant drawbacks for their "customers".

The converse would then apply to the various Consulates, who now do not have to respond to postal visa applications other than forwarding them to the London Embassy. Implications of reduced work load, and revenue, at Birmingham.

I will phone the Brum consulate next week, and post what they say regarding my request.

Holly Gully, I'm confident we can still get a suitable visa issued in the UK.

Just a case of learning what to do in April 2014.

Today, Tuesday 1st April (this is not an april fools day jape!) at 11am BST I called to the Thai Cons at Brum. The phone was answered promptly by a female with a local sounding (to brum) accent.

I asked if "they" issued single entry non-imm O visas; reply was yes.

I stated I was retired, not yet drawing a pension; but I could prove uk savings of equal to or more than a sterling equivalent of 800,000 Thai Baht.

I then asked that if I visited the Consulate with the filled in downloaded Brum cons visa app form, two photos, passport, fee and proof of savings; could I apply for and be issued the single entry non-imm O visa on the spot.

The reply was yes, arrive before 11am, wait 20 mins, fee £50 for visa plus £10 for collection (what ever), all payable in cash, no appointment needed.

The uk account I will use has about £20 grand in it, and as soon as I've used it to achieve issue of visa, I will transfer most of it to my Thai Kasikorn bank account to start the 90 balance of equal to or more than 800,000 TB needed to apply for extension of visa for reason of retirement.

The single entry non-imm O visa is accepted in my local Thai immigration offices (korat) as extendable in this way.

Having a single entry non-imm O visa also enables the holder to fly to and enter Thailand with only a one way airplane ticket.

I plan on going to Brum on the 22nd or 23rd of April.

I have a flight booked one way LHR to swampy on 30th April.

Thank you for the brum hint sotsira. I'm amazed to find I can get an off peak single from wat jcn to brum nu st for just £6!

Hard to believe.

Holly Gully, this is as current as you can get. I'm sure you knew already that you're going to need a bit of cash on the hip to get any sort of non-imm O these days.

The good news is that you can use the same £16 odd grand to get the visa issued in the uk, then send it to Thailand to do the 90 day thing.

R.I.P. Hull (figuratively speaking gcbruk), long live Brum.

• Like 1

Holly Gully, I will be going to the brum consulate on 22nd or 23rd of April.

When I was talking to the staff member there, I told her I wished to enter Thailand with single entry non-imm O visa so I could apply to extend that visa for 12 months for reasons of RETIREMENT.

This seemed to be understood, and no objections or queries were raised.

I'm over 50, got the bank balance, that's the 2 main boxes ticked as far as I have been told.

When I go to the consulate, I will check with the staff who I actually see on the day; during the actual application; to ensure I write what they want.

At the moment, I imagine I will be writing "To extend visa for reasons of retirement", or maybe even just "retirement".

In some ways, the fat lady has yet to sing on this one, but I'm confident on the day I'll get the visa.

I'm certainly going to take a day doing this in person; much better to be in the right place at the right time in this case I recon.

Please let me know how you go on, I will be there in early June

Reading their website, it looks as if single entry would be issue, however multiple needs to be approved in London

It would be worth asking

Thanks, look foward to hearing from you

Today, Tuesday 1st April (this is not an april fools day jape!) at 11am BST I called to the Thai Cons at Brum. The phone was answered promptly by a female with a local sounding (to brum) accent.

I asked if "they" issued single entry non-imm O visas; reply was yes.

I stated I was retired, not yet drawing a pension; but I could prove uk savings of equal to or more than a sterling equivalent of 800,000 Thai Baht.

I then asked that if I visited the Consulate with the filled in downloaded Brum cons visa app form, two photos, passport, fee and proof of savings; could I apply for and be issued the single entry non-imm O visa on the spot.

The reply was yes, arrive before 11am, wait 20 mins, fee £50 for visa plus £10 for collection (what ever), all payable in cash, no appointment needed.

The uk account I will use has about £20 grand in it, and as soon as I've used it to achieve issue of visa, I will transfer most of it to my Thai Kasikorn bank account to start the 90 balance of equal to or more than 800,000 TB needed to apply for extension of visa for reason of retirement.

The single entry non-imm O visa is accepted in my local Thai immigration offices (korat) as extendable in this way.

Having a single entry non-imm O visa also enables the holder to fly to and enter Thailand with only a one way airplane ticket.

I plan on going to Brum on the 22nd or 23rd of April.

I have a flight booked one way LHR to swampy on 30th April.

Thank you for the brum hint sotsira. I'm amazed to find I can get an off peak single from wat jcn to brum nu st for just £6!

Hard to believe.

Holly Gully, this is as current as you can get. I'm sure you knew already that you're going to need a bit of cash on the hip to get any sort of non-imm O these days.

The good news is that you can use the same £16 odd grand to get the visa issued in the uk, then send it to Thailand to do the 90 day thing.

R.I.P. Hull (figuratively speaking gcbruk), long live Brum.

just a question and thanks for the report

Did they actually say they needed you to show money in the bank, my understanding is that for a single entry non O it is not required

HullyGully, during my chat with brum, she said I could apply for multiple entry there; but the application would be forwarded to the London Embassy for examination. I don't actually want the multiple entry this time; had several before (Hull, postal) and the drawbacks with them for me are;

!) Issue cost of £125, plus £10 delivery.

2) Now it means dealing with the London Embassy; with inherent long day in London, or uncertainty of return postal delivery date coupled with not knowing if visa has been issued or not until receipt back of passport.

3) The closest land border to my house in Korat is Cambodia; so that's where I have been going every 90 days to accommodate the requirement to leave Thailand every 90 days. Never had any trouble there, been on my own many times, but there's the expense of the gasohol, 7 hours drive, but worse of all the full page of my passport that gets used up every time by the issue of the Cambodian stick in visa.

This time I just want to enter Thailand on a one way air ticket, and be in possession of a visa that I can apply to extend for 1 year for reasons of retirement. I've done this several times, and overall prefer it as I can remain in Thailand for 1 year with no need for visa runs, and my passport gathers no more visa stamps/stickers. The 90 day reports to the local Korat Immigration can hold some uncertainty sometimes, but they've always gone off ok after varying lengths of time- and they're free !! (Something rare).

I think the visa extension for reasons of retirement works out cheaper over the year than the multiple entry non-imm "O"; as long as one has the 800,000TB to put into a Thai bank account for 90 days prior to making the application to extend; and you are 50 years or more old

Which comment takes me on to your point smedly.

The internet is a wonderful thing in many ways, but shouldn't be confused with reality. (No offence thaivisa!)

At it's worse it's merely a computer game.

The last time I looked at the variety of Thai uk based web sites (about a week), there was no longer any mention of the previous requirement of proof of uk savings of an equivalent amount to 800,000TB; when applying for a visa for reasons of retirement. On the brum cons web site there is a mention of being over 50, and supporting documents; but I have not been able to locate on that web site what exactly those supporting document need to be if the applicant is not currently drawing a pension (of equal to or more than the stated required amounts).

During my conversation with Brum; I purposefully lead with the question regarding proof of uk savings, in the hope that if I "ran it up the flagpole" it would "be saluted".

I have no way of knowing if it is actually required or not.

I offered to do it, because I could; and hoped it would be a short cut to where I wanted to go.

See my previous comments regarding the fat lady not singing yet; but we all know when she does it will probably not be the same tune as last time.

I'm endeavouring to tailor my application to suit my requirements and abilities.

I'm sure your situation will not be identical to mine, and as such you will almost definitely discover the answer to your question along the way.

The only generalisation currently with visas' for Thailand seems to be that if you can flash some cash, your chances go up.

Prob was always the case, just more so now I recon.

Fingers crossed for the 22nd April, day out to Brum!

• 3 weeks later...

Last Tuesday, the 22nd April, I went to the Brum consulate.

The building is easy to find, Victoria square being signposted from the Brum new street railway station. I arrived about 10:30 am.

Front of building reception directed me to an open public area, 4 seats round a small table, where I was told to wait for attention.

Not very impressive.

After about 10 minutes a middle aged white female enquired who was next, and it was me.

I explained what visa I was applying for, and asked what to write in the "reason for visit" section.

It is still "retirement".

The lady; who turned out to be Bridget Hughes, Visa Officer; asked to see my prof of uk savings, which I handed over.

She then told me that I needed proof that the amount (equivalent to 800,000TB) had been on deposit for a minimum of 90 days prior to the application. This was a nasty moment, as this gem had not been revealed to me during my earlier enquiries, only proof of saving.

I had an account balance with me, not a statement.

This requirement is, of course, the same as that required in Thailand when applying to extend a visa.

So, it seems that Bridget has recently completed the latest course in supplying incomplete information, with the likelihood of increasing uncertainty and doubt amongst those requiring the services of the Thai Immigration mystics.

Still sat in the public area, I explained to her that I had not been told about the 90 day thing in the uk, that if I had been I would have done so, and that if I could access the internet I would be happy to show her the account details.

I was denied access to the inner sanctum, and was therefore not able to show account details.

As the time was now approaching the cut off time of 11am, I was beginning to think the visit was SNAFU, when she asked to see my passport. This bears the stamp of many type of Thai visa's and extensions, and seemed to soften Bridget's attitude somewhat.

She then offered to issue the single entry non-imm O visa on the condition that I sent her email evidence of the 90 day balance etc.

I accepted Bridget's kind offer, and thought I could hear the fat lady warming up.

Only to then be told that she was not prepared to reply to any email that I sent, and that if she didn't like what I sent her she would cancel the issued visa without informing me.

All this in the public area, not pleasant at all.

Well, I sent her the email within 24 hours; so now will have to wait until check-in for my departure on the 30th April to see if the issued visa in my passport is still valid.

Under current regs. if it isn't I will be denied boarding as I only have a one way flight ticket.

I'm going to go for it anyway, as I've got no choice now. I see no reason for Bridget to not receive my email, or not approve its contents. Mabe I will try to call her on Monday.

What a way to run a bloody ball room.

The fat lady is still off sick with a sore throat.

I used to be uncertain, but now I'm not so sure; ha ha!

I don't think there is anyway for her to cancel your visa without having your passport in her hand. Just a bluff in my opinion.

It would certainly not be known on your departure from the UK.

Could certainly cancel the visa electronically. Wouldn't come up leaving the UK but could be refused entry in BKK. Or rather only be given a visa exempt.

Lady likely didn't want to get into emails because it could be used to show she was bending the rules and may lose her job over it.

But still, likely just a bluff.

[edit] You used to be able to pay for a tourist visa in Hull by cheque. Visa would be issued and if the cheque bounced it would be cancelled electronically.

Edited by notmyself

Call the Birmingham consulate, I went there, very fast, very helpful. Not sure what the best visa is but I do think you need the cash in a bank in Thailand. Give Birmingham a call and ask their advice and I am sure you will get on ok.

You can get a direct train from Watford Junction to Birmingham,, I think the Virgin Pendolino stops at Watford and is a fast service to Birmingham.. Either way it's only about 90 minutes or so, by the time you have mucked around in London I bet it will take just as long to go there.

Good luck fella, hope you get it sorted.

I'm in Birmingham I needed visa in december hull were not too interested and gave me wrong advice

I went into Birmingham told me wait 40 min 15 min later visa handed to me

Brilliant service

Does that answer the question

Dave

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm in Birmingham I needed visa in december hull were not too interested and gave me wrong advice
I went into Birmingham told me wait 40 min 15 min later visa handed to me
Brilliant service
Does that answer the question
Dave

This might have answered the question if mention of exactly which visa was obtained and on what basis the visa was issued was made.

I drove to the London Thai Embassy recently after Hull ect. stopped the postage deal as it all has to go through London anyway , Parked in Queensgate , down the steps and into the Visa Department . After about 15 mins wait it was my turn at the counter , I wanted my first O visa , I was armed with the Application form , my pension statement ,2 photos , passport and £50 , the girl behind the desk thanked me as said could I come back the following day, I said I could , walked in the day after and collected my 90 day O visa in my passport , easy as that . And yes they do a postal service from London only .

Thanks to you all, elements of truth all round.

I don't think I'll have any problems, The visa's in the book, the email sent; go for it.

I may still try giving Bridget a bell tomorrow, a bit busy now as I dept in 2 days.

Yippee 4 that.

• 2 weeks later...

purpose of visit was still " retirement", for me, over 50 proof of uk saving for 90 day prior to visa application.

and yes, I got back into Thailand ok, one way flight, 90 day stay.

there's another topic ready to go from this experience, and that's about the current practices of international banks, espesh since april this year. very large spread price on the baht in the uk right now,

I don't like the smell of it, circumnavigation enabled me to average over 53 bt per quid; no transfer delay, if you follow my drift.

shame that even then, and I was in my branch of kas bank with large bag the am of my first morning back, I can't manage 90 on deposit before the visa expires.

I wonder what to do about that, nothing right now I guess!!

For the first extension of stay based upon retirement the money only has to be in the bank for 60 days.

The best way to transfer funds to Thailand is to do it in pounds (or any other currency) instead of baht. You will get a better rate here.

Why don't you consider opening an account with Bangkok Bank? They offer an excellent facility for us Brits whereby funds can be transferred from UK accounts to Bangkok Bank accounts here in Thailand via their London branch. Further details at http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

I have now set up a standing order online with my UK bank to transfer a fixed amount (in GBP as per UJ's suggestion) each month, which usually hits my Bangkok Bank account first thing the following working day after leaving my UK account. Even with Bangkok Bank's own charges, Faster Payments Service/BACS transfers made in this way still, in my experience, work out even cheaper than SWIFT transfers to a Kasikorn account. And certainly beats carting shedloads of GBP dosh with you from Blighty to LOS IMHO!

Edited by OJAS

OJAS, I'd love to know what final, actual exchange rate after all/any fees, you're getting.

Up to a couple of years ago I was using a similar vehicle to you, using a first direct account.

ALL the uk banks last month were offering LESS than 50 TB for 1£.

I broke currency movement limits leaving the EU (sick, even though it's still England, the amount is given as 10,000 euro), and entering Thailand; which I believe is $ US 20,000.

Hi again ubonjoe, you right again.

Only prob is that the "last" "first time" I tried the extension 4 retirement in the imm off korat, the officer wouldn't have it; I was made to wait 90 days. On that occasion I had a multi entry non O; so 1 visa run later it got done.

In a week or so I will brace my self and call to the office; maybe we can all play nicely together this time.

OJAS, I'd love to know what final, actual exchange rate after all/any fees, you're getting.

Over the past 6 months the net GBP rates I've been getting for monthly transfers of £2,200 are as follows:-

19/11/13: 49.99 THB

17/12/13: 51.23 THB

17/01/14: 52.45 THB

18/02/14: 53.05 THB

18/03/14: 52.58 THB

17/04/14: 53.24 THB

UK banks are, indeed, a rip-off when it comes to converting GBP into THB

Edited by OJAS