Emailing documents with applications for employment

claaay

It's completely the norm, as the employer will see DOB, nationality, education, work experience,etc to have a sort of an idea who the applicant is.But only for serious job offers.

That's not for anonymous posts. I do the hiring part for my school and wouldn't want any of these documents until you know which school it is.

Please be aware that there're people out there using this data to make money. They know schools who need teachers, then details of employees.

Thus could lead to an employment, where the self made agent takes a percentage of employees' salary.

Personally, I'd never send my resume to somebody who posted anonymously.

And I'd certainly reckon to not send your docs, if you don't know who you're dealing with.-.wai2.gif

• Like 1

How can you tell whether the ad is legitimate? Most people I'm certain use webmail. It's all anonymous.

Any tips Scott - from the teaching and advert end, not necc the IT side.

Yes, some very sensitive information.

Any way to weed out an agency masking as a school?

I am not sure how you would weed them out. We may have posters who have more experience, but I often get some information and then I follow up, but I do tell them the name of the school and if they ask they get a map.

Looking for a job is a process and at any point during the process you can terminate it.

Until I have all of the information requested, I don't schedule an interview.

But you would defensively let them know where the school is, if an applicant would ask you. This isn't always the case when agencies are hunting.

Edited by lostinisaan

Well, of course, I would let them know. I also send them a sheet which outlines the salary and other benefits.

This thread has been fairly helpful to me because I sometimes saw applicants as being incompetent and couldn't figure out why they didn't send everything right away. I will be a little more generous in my private appraisal based on some of the information given by applicants here.

The passport supplies me with all the information that is necessary for the Thai Admin. A picture and that is important for them. The age and that is important for them The country of origin and that is important for both of us.

I think people have every right to be wary of any employer who is not being forthcoming with information. A good, well written resume/CV with clear biodata and picture will get a reply and a request for more information.

I assist with the hiring for more than one school in the same network and they have different needs and different personalities that are in charge. One for example, does not want blacks, another school will accept them. None want people from India, but in a pinch they will accept them. One school won't take people who are 7th Day Adventist (for a variety of reasons, the school has some events on Saturday), another one will. Age is a factor at some schools, less so at others.

I would just as soon try to make sure that both the teacher and the school have a positive feeling toward each other. It is difficult enough to work in Thailand without the additional problems of discrimination.

• Like 1

Well, of course, I would let them know. I also send them a sheet which outlines the salary and other benefits.

This thread has been fairly helpful to me because I sometimes saw applicants as being incompetent and couldn't figure out why they didn't send everything right away. I will be a little more generous in my private appraisal based on some of the information given by applicants here.

The passport supplies me with all the information that is necessary for the Thai Admin. A picture and that is important for them. The age and that is important for them The country of origin and that is important for both of us.

I think people have every right to be wary of any employer who is not being forthcoming with information. A good, well written resume/CV with clear biodata and picture will get a reply and a request for more information.

I assist with the hiring for more than one school in the same network and they have different needs and different personalities that are in charge. One for example, does not want blacks, another school will accept them. None want people from India, but in a pinch they will accept them. One school won't take people who are 7th Day Adventist (for a variety of reasons, the school has some events on Saturday), another one will. Age is a factor at some schools, less so at others.

I would just as soon try to make sure that both the teacher and the school have a positive feeling toward each other. It is difficult enough to work in Thailand without the additional problems of discrimination.

A great post. But to get back to the OP's question. If the job is a serious offer, there's no reason not to answer any questions the applicant might, or might not have.

Some applicants from the Philippines, some African countries, etc...apply as Native English speakers, which only makes the inbox full.

It's strange that racism exists, as a Negro American will find it hard to get a teaching position, better said even to make it to an interview. Even if that;s an experienced teacher.

People who post a job offer anonymous seem to have a reason for doing so. Then it's up to the job seeker to apply, or not.

George Orwell wasn't wrong. Those positions at ajarn.com are usually backed up,as they get in touch with the school, before they post an add, if it's really coming from this particular school.

Obviously, there are always ways to get resumes and I'd be more than happy to find out what others on this forum had experienced. -wai2.gif

I have two different scans of my passport Identification page, in the one that I send to perspective employers the last two digits of my passport number are covered. I only provide the second uncensored scan if I am hired.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by ArtHay

I have two different scans of my passport Identification page, in the one that I send to perspective employers the last two digits of my passport number are covered. I only provide the second uncensored scan if I am hired.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I would consider that reasonable. I don't need to know anyone's passport number until I am writing an actual contract. it is nice to have a face, a birthdate and a country of origin, though. A lot of the scans of passports -- because I've been going through applications-- aren't very clear and the passport number is hard to read to begin with.

• Like 1

If they ask for the details, then you should send the details they've requested (Assuming you want the job of course).

It's pretty normal for a job to ask for those details.

As if they ask for your diplomas/visas/passport page etc, and you only send your CV, they might not even bother to read your CV, since they know that you didn't follow their instructions, thus obviously didn't care very much about the application.

Any job advertisements get hundreds of applications (Particularly if the job has a good salary), so unless your CV is amazing, they're not going to bother contacting you further to follow up on those details.

If you're concerned about your details being used illegitimately, then blank out your passport number or similar as described above. Although personally I wouldn't worry too much, as with the amount of times we need to photocopy our passports in Thailand, there are millions of other passport pages floating around which they could use instead of yours (Or they could easily just get someone's passport itself from a motorcycle rental shop lol).

Most of the time, they ask for your passport photo page because it has your date of birth + nationality + they can see your picture (And it's a standardised picture). They don't care about the other details (passport number etc).

• Like 1

Is it even worth applying online? Better to get out and hit the street.

" I hit the city and

I lost my band

I watched the needle

Take another man

Gone, gone, the damage done."

P.S. We'll have a new teacher, I haven't met before, who'll; start in May. Skype and some e-mails did the trick. Yes it's worth.

And lose your van?-bah.gif

Edited by sirchai