Where's the cooking oil darling?.......

BKK Blues Brother

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on using cooking oil, nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies about cooking oil.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat, use less cooking oil and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fatty and oily stuff and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

If you use a good quality oil ,Sunflower oil or similar you ( I ) can achieve 12 to 15 uses in a deep fryer (Chips only). If you put other things in the fryer besides chips you get crud and dirty looking oil. By the way has anyone seen any bad reports about Canola oil in any literature or advertisements recently? I used to use it all the time,then I did not see it in my local shopping places in Thailand; Then I went on to Sunflower oil. Now that is getting hard to find.

I'm going to insist on a new house rule.....cooking with no oil for a trial week and boil everything and see how we get on.

If she hit's me with the wok then it's business as usual.

I am going to buy a fat fryer as suggested above, one of those new cooks anything with a table spoon of oil jobs.

I will take the horse to the water and hope it drinks the water.

cooking with no oil for a trial week and boil everything and see how we get on.

boiling french fries may not have good results coffee1.gif

I'm going to insist on a new house rule.....cooking with no oil for a trial week and boil everything and see how we get on.

I am going to buy a fat fryer as suggested above, one of those new cooks anything with a table spoon of oil jobs.

Fries can be cooked in the oven or under the grill though.

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on using cooking oil, nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies about cooking oil.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat, use less cooking oil and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fatty and oily stuff and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like.

Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

It is not speaking English otherwise much more people would have heart attacks, it is thinking like an American blink.png so bad luck to treat the disease in US facepalm.gif

Fries can be cooked in the oven or under the grill though.

boiling french fries may not have good results

And you answered (my) such a nonsense seriously ?tongue.png

I've just been to my daughters school to get her term results and how she is placed in the class.

I couldnt beleive the number of fat kids. I mean fat.

Is it the oil? Is it the KFC? Is it the 7/11? Dunkin Donuts? Dairy Queen? Probably all of these.

As for the oil I know your sums were wrong but it does seem a fair amount. Thais use a lot right enough!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most Thai families are within a generation or two of experiencing true poverty, not having enough to eat, as more have acquired some disposable income, buying khanom has been one of the primary ways they celebrate the new reality.

Still only a very tiny percentage can afford western-style eating patterns, much less fast food, not a major factor, Thai khanom are fattening enough.

As I've mentioned before my budget for real food in our house is around B1500 a week for 6-8 people.

I give some cash to the Thais in the house, but believe me it's not much. They still manage to spend the majority of the money they get on completely non-nutritional sweets and snacks, to the point that every one spends more on that than they consume in real food.

The only thing that's higher priority to them is topping up their SIM card.

• Like 1

Most Thai families are within a generation or two of experiencing true poverty, not having enough to eat, as more have acquired some disposable income, buying khanom has been one of the primary ways they celebrate the new reality.

Still only a very tiny percentage can afford western-style eating patterns, much less fast food, not a major factor, Thai khanom are fattening enough.

As I've mentioned before my budget for real food in our house is around B1500 a week for 6-8 people.

I give some cash to the Thais in the house, but believe me it's not much. They still manage to spend the majority of the money they get on completely non-nutritional sweets and snacks, to the point that every one spends more on that than they consume in real food.

Try googling "Thai Famine." No results? That's because Thailand has always had enough to eat.

Back to the history books. Thailand is Thailand because it has always been a land of plenty for Thai citizens. During WW II most of SEA and India were rife with famines. Not Thailand. Check population in 1930. If memory serves it was only 12 million with about the same geographic size. And if you think the people were sad you might want to check opium production 1942.

Edited by thailiketoo

I'm not talking true famine, but there are many many regions of Thailand that don't get a regular water supply for the rice farming, and just a few decades ago most of those people didn't even deal in the cash economy, lived pure subsistence style trading their rice for other necessities, a few drought years in a row and yes they were malnutrited.

Lots and lots of Thai peasants still don't give their kids enough good nutrition, and no it's not just stupidity, many households don't see more than a couple thousand cash in a month. And the frogs/birds/snakes etc aren't there to be caught anymore now they all use chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

Holy sh**t, how much oil is she using? You sure she hasn't found some ingenious way of cooking up meth using old palm oil?....check the bank account, cash transactions are a giveaway (so I'm told)

But seriously, we use a fair bit of oil at home, probably more than I would use back in the West, but my wife tends to drain and recycle the oil several times until she discards it. I know a box of 12 bottles lasts us months. I've just got her hooked on olive oil spray for those cooking experiences where, less is best

I'm not talking true famine, but there are many many regions of Thailand that don't get a regular water supply for the rice farming, and just a few decades ago most of those people didn't even deal in the cash economy, lived pure subsistence style trading their rice for other necessities, a few drought years in a row and yes they were malnutrited.

Lots and lots of Thai peasants still don't give their kids enough good nutrition, and no it's not just stupidity, many households don't see more than a couple thousand cash in a month. And the frogs/birds/snakes etc aren't there to be caught anymore now they all use chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

You wrote, "Most Thai families are within a generation or two of experiencing true poverty," The first time Thailand has ever experienced true poverty is now. A couple of generations ago they had fish in the water and birds in the trees. Haven't you noticed all the waste in Thailand? All the fruit left on the ground? And the polite way of eating, always leaving food on the plate? Haven't you noticed the food left out for Buddha? All the dogs running around? Do you see any dogs in Vietnam? There was always a moonshiner in every village and he traded whiskey for rice. Opium was cash in many areas. Thailand was never poor. You may think it was poor but the Thai guy never thought he was poor. Burma, Laos, Vietnam - Poor. Famine and political turmoil. Thailand stable, well fed and calm.

You're buying into a myth.

Macro, national level sure yes you're right.

But on the ground in those villages where plentiful water for the crops is the exception rather than the norm, in times of multi-year drought there were and indeed still are times when kids don't get sufficient nutrition because of poverty.

Just witness the 35 kg girls whose wrists are thinner than my thumbs, legs thinner than my forearms, waist thinner than my thighs, who bones would snap if you didn't consciously handle them gently.

Whose parents just don't have the 5 baht to send them with to school to buy snacks like all the other kids. Who need to go to the neighbors or the local temple for food a significant number of mealtimes.

I am personally acquainted through direct experience with these communities, and although it is certainly getting rarer these days, a few decades ago there was a much higher proportion of these families, but as you point out to some extent alleviated by the no-longer-present option of catching fish/frogs/field rats/bugs etc to eat.

In those areas that have consistent irrigation much less of a problem I do grant you that.

• Like 1

In my house its a large bowl of rice with every meal. Its veg and meat also. No khanom unless you eat your rice.

No fat kids in my house but healthy kids with lots of energy. This is not due to a large budget for food but a choice of healthy filling meals.

In my village there is still fish to be had. A lot. Birds in the trees. Mango everywhere.

Regarding the thin children. I beleive its more genetic than poor eating. My daughter never stops and shes like a chopstick but full of energy.

Even the people in the village on lower incomes seem to eat well. If they want some herbs they get some from the roadside or neighbours land. If they want fish or a few rats they catch or trap them and always have rice as a stable.

I have never seen people eat as much as the Thais.

You should get out more. Very spicy food goes through the body in a matter of hours so little is absorbed. Did you not do biology in school?

I actually did. I was never taught on 'chilli and its affect on the digestion of food'. Most of the younger kids in my village dont eat spicy and are slowly introduced to it.

As for get out more. Whats that got to with my knowledge of biology?

You should get out more. Very spicy food goes through the body in a matter of hours so little is absorbed. Did you not do biology in school?

I actually did. I was never taught on chili and its affect on the digestion of food'. Most of the younger kids in my village don't eat spicy and are slowly introduced to it.

As for get out more. Whats that got to with my knowledge of biology?

Don't worry, he's full of it, no basis in reality, must be an old wive's tale from a culture not used to spicy food. Maybe from the idea that diarrhea means "it went right though you". Anyway total rubbish just ignore.

• Like 1

You're buying into a myth.

Macro, national level sure yes you're right.

But on the ground in those villages where plentiful water for the crops is the exception rather than the norm, in times of multi-year drought there were and indeed still are times when kids don't get sufficient nutrition because of poverty.

Just witness the 35 kg girls whose wrists are thinner than my thumbs, legs thinner than my forearms, waist thinner than my thighs, who bones would snap if you didn't consciously handle them gently.

Whose parents just don't have the 5 baht to send them with to school to buy snacks like all the other kids. Who need to go to the neighbors or the local temple for food a significant number of mealtimes.

I am personally acquainted through direct experience with these communities, and although it is certainly getting rarer these days, a few decades ago there was a much higher proportion of these families, but as you point out to some extent alleviated by the no-longer-present option of catching fish/frogs/field rats/bugs etc to eat.

In those areas that have consistent irrigation much less of a problem I do grant you that.

You wrote, "You're buying into a myth. Macro, national level sure yes you're right."

So I am buying a myth? Your few experiences in a few poor villages do not erase a thousand years of Thai history. Macro as you use it I assume means majority.

Thailand has always had a surplus of rice and food and water. They take 3 showers a day. How many showers did people take in Europe a generation ago? During the 1930's the PM issued a law requiring Thais to only eat 3 times a day instead of the normal 4. You think they ate 4 times a day because they didn't have food? A few villages do not a history or country make. I'm buying no myth. Thailand had so much food they even passed laws to prevent people from eating more than three times a day. Thai cultural mandates.

My point was in opposition to the claim that current rising obesity trends are due largely to western fast food chains.

Fact is go back not too many decades and most Thais didn't have surplus disposable income for fatty/sugary snacks. Now nearly all do. They're getting fat from local khanom and indigenous junk food more so than KFC and pizza.

Do we agree on that?

Our beef is that you seem to think there has never been nor is there now ANY appreciable hunger due to poverty anywhere in Thailand. I'm trying to make you realize that it is more of a problem than you seem to think - certainly never on African levels, and definitely improving over the past few decades, but still a very real problem.

Malnutrition problems exist in the US too, and for the same nationalist pride reasons lots of people will try to deny it.

Thailand has had a lot of problems over time. Slavery to name one. But hunger has never been a big issue. The famines were mainly in countries managed by the British, French and Chinese like India and Vietnam and China.

Now? I don't know who is to blame. Sugar and dairy products like ice cream have to rank high on the bad list. There wasn't refrigeration so no ice cream or cold soft drinks.

Edited by thailiketoo

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of poor rural village homes you think have a freezer?

What for? You want an ice cream? A lady comes around with a big metal cooler on a bicycle ringing a bell 4 times a day.

She makes cones or ice cream sandwiches. No freezer. I actually live in Thailand. biggrin.png

Then you don't see too many village kids buying so much ice cream from the lady (actually I've only seen guys selling ice cream, women sell the little yoghurts) that they're getting fat off it do you?

Anyway that wasn't my point, do you have an answer or not?

Then you don't see too many village kids buying so much ice cream from the lady (actually I've only seen guys selling ice cream, women sell the little yoghurts) that they're getting fat off it do you?

Anyway that wasn't my point, do you have an answer or not?

When I moved to Thailand no one had refrigerators in their homes. When you wanted a cold beer you sent a local kid to the store at the end of the Soi. Today it is the same thing with ice cream. Every small town has a small family store that sells ice cream. So why the question about the freezer? This is Thailand not Australia.