Converting Non Imm B Visa to Retirement Visa

Definitely no need to leave the country. I had this imposed on me last time I went for an annual extension of stay. (I was on an non-imm B investment visa and the officer arbitrarily decided I should retire - I'm over 50. They started pressuring me to do this as soon as I'd turned 50.) For me, no additional paperwork was required. I doubt this is the usual procedure. Another point that irked me is that because the visa type changed the extension was from that day, not from the expiry date of the original extension, meaning that I now have to extend a few weeks earlier in the year which for me is less convenient.

It is not possible to convert non immigrant visas. If you have a permit to stay from a non-b visa entry you can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. You do not need a non-o entry.

You can change form an extension of stay based upon working (it is not a visa) to one based upon retirement when your current extension is due to expire or when your job ends.

Yes, I guess I mean retirement extension. My non imm b visa will expire in 2 months. Can I go to the immigration office here in Thailand and get an extension based on retirement? And then I just need to report to the same office every 90 days, right?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, I guess I mean retirement extension. My non imm b visa will expire in 2 months. Can I go to the immigration office here in Thailand and get an extension based on retirement? And then I just need to report to the same office every 90 days, right?

Read Ubonejos post again.

Do you currently have a "visa" or an "extension of stay based on working" ?

If you have a non-b visa entry you can do an extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry. You do not have to wait for your visa to expire if it is a multiple entry visa.

Just apply for an extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

You will need the 800k baht to be in the bank for 60 days or have a letter from your embassy to prove the 65k baht income or if doing a combination proof of both totaling 800k baht.

Edit: Your visa expiration date means nothing once you are in the country it is just the last day you can use the visa. You will do your extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day permit to stay.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks! Does anyone know the current location of the Ayutthaya Immigration Office? I understand it has moved around a bit due to flooding.

A very quick google search reveals this

http://ayutthaya.immigration.go.th/General%20Information.html

Address at the bottom of the page !

• 1 month later...

With a one-year, multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B visa (for the purposes of investment - no work permit/employment history), can you convert to an Extension to Stay on the basis of Retirement, during that extra period of ~ 90 days, which you might have been stamped in for if entering just before the current 12 month visa period expired (months 13 - 15)? Or do you have to convert anytime prior to 12 month ("Enter before") visa "expiration" date?

With a one-year, multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B visa (for the purposes of investment - no work permit/employment history), can you convert to an Extension to Stay on the basis of Retirement, during that extra period of ~ 90 days, which you might have been stamped in for if entering just before the current 12 month visa period expired (months 13 - 15)? Or do you have to convert anytime prior to 12 month ("Enter before") visa "expiration" date?

If you have a multiple entry visa you can apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from the visa.

You do not have to wait for the visa to expire. You are extending your permit to stay not the visa.

The marker is a couple of hundred metres or so off - it's not even on U-Thong Road - but it's pretty close.

Thank you for noticing this, AyG. I have now moved the marker to the coordinates given by BENQ and FlorC in this topic.

Thanks for the info guys. I got my one year retirement extension at the Ayutthaya office today. The only minor problem I experienced was with the bank deposit. I had put 800k THB in a fixed deposit bank account so I could earn 3.5 % interest but since the account had no activity they made me go to the bank and make a deposit into the account. After that, everything was fine.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info guys. I got my one year retirement extension at the Ayutthaya office today. The only minor problem I experienced was with the bank deposit. I had put 800k THB in a fixed deposit bank account so I could earn 3.5 % interest but since the account had no activity they made me go to the bank and make a deposit into the account. After that, everything was fine.

How long was it that there was no activity since u made the original deposit? I have a time deposit ( no more 3,5 % :( ) with time deposit book and want to use it exactly as u did.

If you have a multiple entry visa you can apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries you get from the visa.

You do not have to wait for the visa to expire. You are extending your permit to stay not the visa.

How long was it that there was no activity since u made the original deposit? I have a time deposit ( no more 3,5 % sad.png ) with time deposit book and want to use it exactly as u did.

It was there for about 6 months before I applied. They didn't say that the time was the factor and they added that I would not have to do it again - just the first time. I suspect they thought it wasn't a real account and they wanted me to prove it by making a deposit.

What is the right timing for applying for an extension based upon retirement?

My work/salary will end long before my work permit and non imm B visa will expire(6 months to go.) .

I know the company or me has to cancel the work permit upon applying for a extension based upon retirement.But can this be postponed close to the expiry date of the non imm B visa? My feeling says no - apply imm before the last salary is paid - get a company letter saying employment is terminated and ask the company to cancel the work permit and not wait 6 months with the cancellation and the letter of termination Any thoughts on this?? thks in advance

How long was it that there was no activity since u made the original deposit? I have a time deposit ( no more 3,5 % sad.png ) with time deposit book and want to use it exactly as u did.

It was there for about 6 months before I applied. They didn't say that the time was the factor and they added that I would not have to do it again - just the first time. I suspect they thought it wasn't a real account and they wanted me to prove it by making a deposit.

Thank you for quick and clear reply !

If you have a non-b visa entry you can do an extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

If you do this (as I have done), what do you put on forms when asked what type of visa you have? Do you put non-Imm B? Or non-Imm O?